|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Redmond tell Tom Black she once cried all night over?
2. Tom Black faces various crossroads in his life, each time taking the path leading to what?
3. In Tom Black's contact with Mary Redmond, he recalls the others who tried to make him do things their way. Who are they?
4. In the final chapter, where does Tom build his new lodge?
5. What does Tom Black Bull's instructor die from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a distinct contrast between the life Tom Black Bull knew on Bald Mountain and his life that unfolds juxtaposed on the rodeo circuit. Compare and contrast the two lifestyles. Why does Tom pursue the rodeo when he is more content with the 'old ways' on the mountain?
Essay Topic 2
George and Bessie Black Bull live the winter with their son in the mountains. How do they prepare for the winter the 'old way'? What do they do for food? What clothing do they make? Where will they live? How will they keep warm?
Essay Topic 3
When his nurse in New York, Mary Redmond, attempts to pressure herself into his rehabilitation, Tom Black recalls others and the patterns they utilized in trapping him. Elaborate on those used by Blue Elk, Rowena Ellis, Benny Grayback, and Red Dillon. Are they attempting to help him or use him? What about Mary?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)