|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom Black trying to kill through his own violence and the killing, bronco riding legend he has become?
2. Riding with the pain of his injuries, what does Tom turn to?
3. What is it that Mary Redmond wants with Tom Black?
4. Tom Black ends his journey in Part 4, Chapter 48, making a full circle from oneness with nature to hell and violence, or where?
5. Tom Black moves on to Thatcher's Market where he purchases what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Black earned a name for himself riding rodeo. He made good money at times. Explain why it is that Tom will never return to ride in the arena.
Essay Topic 2
Are all those whom Tom Black Bull encounters intent on using him by compelling him to adapt to the white way? How does Jim Thatcher affect Tom's life? What about other individuals?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book the reader learns the Utes are quite resourceful, and they approach life in a very practical fashion. When the farming methods taught them by the white man fail due to drought, they revert to their 'old ways', which are clearly in concert with nature. Contrast the approach of the white man to life with the 'old ways' handed down to Tom Black Bull by his parents.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)