|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who initially attempts to help Tom Black deal with his dreams in New York?
2. Upon returning to the ranch to recover a second time, Tom Black Bull learns what about the Mexican ex-bronco rider?
3. As Tom Black Bull moves into the big time rodeo, riding as his own man, what is he bringing Into his next stage of life?
4. In Tom Black's contact with Mary Redmond, he recalls the others who tried to make him do things their way. Who are they?
5. Talking with his employer about the bear he saw makes Tom Black do what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Black Bull is taught to ride broncos at Red Dillon's ranch. His new life is totally apart from everything Ute Indian. What is the sequence of steps Red utilizes in teaching Tom? What does Tom have to learn along the way as he advances? What unethical maneuvers does Red plan to utilize to make money from Tom's efforts?
Essay Topic 2
For a period in each of their lives, both George Black Bull and Tom are outlaws, but each is a different type of outlaw. George is an outlaw for killing a man. What are his reasons? What type of outlaw is Tom? Why does he do what he does? Compare and contrast the two.
Essay Topic 3
The first horse Tom Black Bull rode to death was in his initial rodeo in Aztec. The last was in Madison Square Garden. What is Tom's violence directed against? Why does he take his violence out on the horses? What does Red Dillon represent? What does Tom become more like as he gives in progressively to his violence?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)