|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Starved, what does Tom Bull begin cooking for his next meal following breakfast on his initial day at work?
2. Where does Tom Black leave his clothes bag while he walks up the street?
3. What animals does Tom Black leave the remainder of his uneaten, initial breakfast pancakes for?
4. What does Tom Black feel later that day after he awakes from his dream?
5. The day following his dream about Blue Elk, Tom Black bathes where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom encounters the bear while herding sheep and he is surprised. It brings back memories as well as questions. Why does Tom go back to track the bear down? What will he do when he finds the bear? Why is he unable to kill the bear? What journey does his second meeting with the bear compel Tom to take?
Essay Topic 2
Meo is a Mexican ex-bronco twister who takes Tom Black Bull under his belt. He will end up becoming a mentor for him. Detail what Meo does outside with Tom to quiet his life over a few hours. What wisdom does Meo share with Tom? What does Meo get Tom to do the 'old way'? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him that the 'old way' has died? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him he came to learn from Red how to be his own boss? Who does Meo inform Tom that the boss is?
Essay Topic 3
Blue Elk is an antagonist. He is a corrupted bridge linking the white and Ute worlds. Examine Blue Elk's responsibility for a significant amount of the misunderstanding and miscommunication between these two cultures. How does Blue Elk use his command of both languages to take advantage of the Ute Indians who do not speak English, and the white people who do not speak Ute? How does he exploit the greed of the white man? How does he exploit the Ute sense of justice and honesty? How is Blue Elk a twisted, unscrupulous variant of both the white man and the Ute Indian?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)