|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black was obsessed with killing his past, but why does he now see that he must kill that which he has become?
2. In Tom Black's contact with Mary Redmond, he recalls the others who tried to make him do things their way. Who are they?
3. Tom Black tracks the bear up the mountain, circles back around to where he started, and discovers what?
4. Tom Black faces various crossroads in his life, each time taking the path leading to what?
5. What does Tom Black do in response to an animal near him in the meadow being killed by a wild animal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Black Bull was given that baptized name by the white man. But the Ute Indians select their own names by which they will be known. Tom declares he will call himself Bear's Brother. How does he come to select that name?
Essay Topic 2
When his nurse in New York, Mary Redmond, attempts to pressure herself into his rehabilitation, Tom Black recalls others and the patterns they utilized in trapping him. Elaborate on those used by Blue Elk, Rowena Ellis, Benny Grayback, and Red Dillon. Are they attempting to help him or use him? What about Mary?
Essay Topic 3
Tom Black Bull has a difficult time making the transition into the white man's way at the reservation school. They attempt to turn Tom into a farmer by teaching him plowing skills. Why is this unsuccessful? What is Tom's view of the usefulness of plowing and planting skills?
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)