|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom Black get back to Pagosa?
2. Tom Black tracks the bear up the mountain, circles back around to where he started, and discovers what?
3. When does Tom Black arrive and camp at his old campsite when he returns to locate the bear?
4. In New York, Tom dreams of back-country rodeos, the San Juan ranch, his mother, and mountains, but all the dreams end how?
5. What happens during Tom Black's ride in the night rodeo at Madison Square Garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book the reader learns the Utes are quite resourceful, and they approach life in a very practical fashion. When the farming methods taught them by the white man fail due to drought, they revert to their 'old ways', which are clearly in concert with nature. Contrast the approach of the white man to life with the 'old ways' handed down to Tom Black Bull by his parents.
Essay Topic 2
Roundness of life is a significant theme in this story. It unfolds through Bessie Black Bull, who maintains the 'old ways' and instructs them to Tom. What is it the reader learns to look for with this theme? How does the concept of continuation within all life tie in with this 'roundness' theme? Detail the method Bessie uses to teach this intrinsic truth concerning nature.
Essay Topic 3
Bessie Black Bull follows the 'old way' of teaching through songs. Elaborate on this Ute Indian approach to passing on their heritage. What songs does Tom Black Bull learn from his mother? What is he taught through them?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)