|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black wants to start over again; however, according to the code of the rodeo, where does he have to start?
2. Those who observe how Tom Black rides and lives between rides see that the ride is the only time he does what?
3. Tom Black was obsessed with killing his past, but why does he now see that he must kill that which he has become?
4. In Tom Black's first dream the bear represents his 'old ways' spirit, while the bronco represents what?
5. What is Tom Black's reaction when children in the park recognize him and point him out as a killer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a distinct contrast between the life Tom Black Bull knew on Bald Mountain and his life that unfolds juxtaposed on the rodeo circuit. Compare and contrast the two lifestyles. Why does Tom pursue the rodeo when he is more content with the 'old ways' on the mountain?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Black earned a name for himself riding rodeo. He made good money at times. Explain why it is that Tom will never return to ride in the arena.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening chapter, George Black Bull arrives home facing the initial crisis stoically and in control. An unspoken truth exists between George and the situation. Bessie Black Bull recognizes that her husband acted justly, in accordance with his conscience. Reflect on how they address the matter. What actions does George take? How does Bessie approach the situation? What actions does she take? What precautions does she follow?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)