|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Black feel later that day after he awakes from his dream?
2. Tom Black faces a crossroads following his Madison Square Garden rodeo ride; one that starts where?
3. Tom Black moves on to Thatcher's Market where he purchases what?
4. Who initially attempts to help Tom Black deal with his dreams in New York?
5. How does Tom Black get back to Pagosa?
Essay Topic 1
What does the introductory poem summarize? What about the American Indians' demise? What about the troubled course of this story's main character into manhood?
Essay Topic 2
Tom encounters the bear while herding sheep and he is surprised. It brings back memories as well as questions. Why does Tom go back to track the bear down? What will he do when he finds the bear? Why is he unable to kill the bear? What journey does his second meeting with the bear compel Tom to take?
Essay Topic 3
Roundness of life is a significant theme in this story. It unfolds through Bessie Black Bull, who maintains the 'old ways' and instructs them to Tom. What is it the reader learns to look for with this theme? How does the concept of continuation within all life tie in with this 'roundness' theme? Detail the method Bessie uses to teach this intrinsic truth concerning nature.
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)