Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a local café in Pagosa, four men are staring at Tom Black in his fancy clothes and he feels what?
2. What animals does Tom Black leave the remainder of his uneaten, initial breakfast pancakes for?
3. Until he heals more, Tom Black accepts a job doing what that will not be too hard on him?
4. How does Tom Black Bull care for his instructor's body?
5. What switch is taking place in Tom Black's life as he dreams of his mother's death?
Essay Topic 1
Bessie Black Bull follows the 'old way' of teaching through songs. Elaborate on this Ute Indian approach to passing on their heritage. What songs does Tom Black Bull learn from his mother? What is he taught through them?
Essay Topic 2
Early in the book the reader learns the Utes are quite resourceful, and they approach life in a very practical fashion. When the farming methods taught them by the white man fail due to drought, they revert to their 'old ways', which are clearly in concert with nature. Contrast the approach of the white man to life with the 'old ways' handed down to Tom Black Bull by his parents.
Essay Topic 3
The bear in this story represents Tom Black Bull and his boyhood. This is his foundation, his connection with the 'old ways'. Explain how In the end, his arduous trek to find and kill his bear leads Tom to his reparation and purification of the evil individual he has become.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)