|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom Black get back to Pagosa?
2. Tom Black Bull spends much time thinking as he recovers, then decides to what?
3. What does Tom Black tell his new employer about his past?
4. Tom Black finds where the bear has cached the remains of a kill it has made, so he does what?
5. During his night ride at the Madison Square Garden rodeo, what parts of Tom Black's body go numb with pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The first horse Tom Black Bull rode to death was in his initial rodeo in Aztec. The last was in Madison Square Garden. What is Tom's violence directed against? Why does he take his violence out on the horses? What does Red Dillon represent? What does Tom become more like as he gives in progressively to his violence?
Essay Topic 2Roundness of life is a significant theme in this story. It unfolds through Bessie Black Bull, who maintains the 'old ways' and instructs them to Tom. What is it the reader learns to look for with this theme? How does the concept of continuation within all life tie in with this 'roundness' theme? Detail the method Bessie uses to teach this intrinsic truth concerning nature.
Essay Topic 3Tom Black Bull has a difficult time making the transition into the white man's way at the reservation school. They attempt to turn Tom into a farmer by teaching him plowing skills. Why is this unsuccessful? What is Tom's view of the usefulness of plowing and planting skills?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)