|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary Redmond not like cats?
2. Tom will live awhile in the 'old ways', then go to town and the Indian school to see what is happening, but will not what?
3. When Tom Black Bull tells his instructor that he will not ride the circuit with him anymore, he advises he will do what instead?
4. In Tom Black's first dream the bear represents his 'old ways' spirit, while the bronco represents what?
5. In New York, Tom dreams of back-country rodeos, the San Juan ranch, his mother, and mountains, but all the dreams end how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When his nurse in New York, Mary Redmond, attempts to pressure herself into his rehabilitation, Tom Black recalls others and the patterns they utilized in trapping him. Elaborate on those used by Blue Elk, Rowena Ellis, Benny Grayback, and Red Dillon. Are they attempting to help him or use him? What about Mary?
Essay Topic 2
Are all those whom Tom Black Bull encounters intent on using him by compelling him to adapt to the white way? How does Jim Thatcher affect Tom's life? What about other individuals?
Essay Topic 3
The first horse Tom Black Bull rode to death was in his initial rodeo in Aztec. The last was in Madison Square Garden. What is Tom's violence directed against? Why does he take his violence out on the horses? What does Red Dillon represent? What does Tom become more like as he gives in progressively to his violence?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)