|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom Black describe broncos to Mary Redmond?
2. Tom Black faces a crossroads following his Madison Square Garden rodeo ride; one that starts where?
3. How does Tom Black Bull care for his instructor's body?
4. Living on the mountain is healing his soul and Tom Black is slowly recalling his former self when he lived how?
5. Those who observe how Tom Black rides and lives between rides see that the ride is the only time he does what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Black Bull is taught to ride broncos at Red Dillon's ranch. His new life is totally apart from everything Ute Indian. What is the sequence of steps Red utilizes in teaching Tom? What does Tom have to learn along the way as he advances? What unethical maneuvers does Red plan to utilize to make money from Tom's efforts?
Essay Topic 2
There is a distinct contrast between the life Tom Black Bull knew on Bald Mountain and his life that unfolds juxtaposed on the rodeo circuit. Compare and contrast the two lifestyles. Why does Tom pursue the rodeo when he is more content with the 'old ways' on the mountain?
Essay Topic 3
The first horse Tom Black Bull rode to death was in his initial rodeo in Aztec. The last was in Madison Square Garden. What is Tom's violence directed against? Why does he take his violence out on the horses? What does Red Dillon represent? What does Tom become more like as he gives in progressively to his violence?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)