|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom sets out to kill a boyhood, ends up killing the man he has been for so long, and finds what?
2. When the time comes where Tom Black is looking for rehabilitation homes, what is Mary Redmond trying to do?
3. Looking back, what does Tom know the bear would have done had he fired his rifle and missed the bear's heart?
4. How does Tom Black Bull care for his instructor's body?
5. Tom Black moves on to Thatcher's Market where he purchases what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the opening chapter, George Black Bull arrives home facing the initial crisis stoically and in control. An unspoken truth exists between George and the situation. Bessie Black Bull recognizes that her husband acted justly, in accordance with his conscience. Reflect on how they address the matter. What actions does George take? How does Bessie approach the situation? What actions does she take? What precautions does she follow?
Essay Topic 2
Tom encounters the bear while herding sheep and he is surprised. It brings back memories as well as questions. Why does Tom go back to track the bear down? What will he do when he finds the bear? Why is he unable to kill the bear? What journey does his second meeting with the bear compel Tom to take?
Essay Topic 3
The first horse Tom Black Bull rode to death was in his initial rodeo in Aztec. The last was in Madison Square Garden. What is Tom's violence directed against? Why does he take his violence out on the horses? What does Red Dillon represent? What does Tom become more like as he gives in progressively to his violence?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)