|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black pushes himself beyond what is approved for his rehabilitation, causing Mary Redmond to be what?
2. After several more seasons, legends about Tom Black Bull start to crop up as well as what new nickname?
3. Until he heals more, Tom Black accepts a job doing what that will not be too hard on him?
4. Where does Tom Black ride his gentle horse?
5. In Tom Black's first dream the bear represents his 'old ways' spirit, while the bronco represents what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the opening chapter, George Black Bull arrives home facing the initial crisis stoically and in control. An unspoken truth exists between George and the situation. Bessie Black Bull recognizes that her husband acted justly, in accordance with his conscience. Reflect on how they address the matter. What actions does George take? How does Bessie approach the situation? What actions does she take? What precautions does she follow?
Essay Topic 2
When his nurse in New York, Mary Redmond, attempts to pressure herself into his rehabilitation, Tom Black recalls others and the patterns they utilized in trapping him. Elaborate on those used by Blue Elk, Rowena Ellis, Benny Grayback, and Red Dillon. Are they attempting to help him or use him? What about Mary?
Essay Topic 3
For a period in each of their lives, both George Black Bull and Tom are outlaws, but each is a different type of outlaw. George is an outlaw for killing a man. What are his reasons? What type of outlaw is Tom? Why does he do what he does? Compare and contrast the two.
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)