|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Tom Black arrive and camp at his old campsite when he returns to locate the bear?
2. Talking with his employer about the bear he saw makes Tom Black do what?
3. Tom Black Bull spends much time thinking as he recovers, then decides to what?
4. Tom Black pushes himself beyond what is approved for his rehabilitation, causing Mary Redmond to be what?
5. Those who observe how Tom Black rides and lives between rides see that the ride is the only time he does what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Black Bull has a difficult time making the transition into the white man's way at the reservation school. They attempt to turn Tom into a farmer by teaching him plowing skills. Why is this unsuccessful? What is Tom's view of the usefulness of plowing and planting skills?
Essay Topic 2
Early in the book the reader learns the Utes are quite resourceful, and they approach life in a very practical fashion. When the farming methods taught them by the white man fail due to drought, they revert to their 'old ways', which are clearly in concert with nature. Contrast the approach of the white man to life with the 'old ways' handed down to Tom Black Bull by his parents.
Essay Topic 3
The bear in this story represents Tom Black Bull and his boyhood. This is his foundation, his connection with the 'old ways'. Explain how In the end, his arduous trek to find and kill his bear leads Tom to his reparation and purification of the evil individual he has become.
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)