|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black Bull spends much time thinking as he recovers, then decides to what?
2. Walking up the street, Tom Black recognizes what Indian across the road that now looks like a skid row character?
3. In Tom Black's contact with Mary Redmond, he recalls the others who tried to make him do things their way. Who are they?
4. What animals does Tom Black leave the remainder of his uneaten, initial breakfast pancakes for?
5. Tom Black obtains the rodeo schedule, intends to make a comeback, and plans to use his summer pay to buy what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Black Bull has a difficult time making the transition into the white man's way at the reservation school. They attempt to turn Tom into a farmer by teaching him plowing skills. Why is this unsuccessful? What is Tom's view of the usefulness of plowing and planting skills?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 42, Tom accepts a simple job of shepherding when he comes back to Pagosa to recover. When he is alone with the sheep, what is he surprised by? What are the memories that flood back? How does he adjust to the simple life as he recuperates and makes plans to return to the rodeo?
Essay Topic 3
When his nurse in New York, Mary Redmond, attempts to pressure herself into his rehabilitation, Tom Black recalls others and the patterns they utilized in trapping him. Elaborate on those used by Blue Elk, Rowena Ellis, Benny Grayback, and Red Dillon. Are they attempting to help him or use him? What about Mary?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)