|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Until he heals more, Tom Black accepts a job doing what that will not be too hard on him?
2. How does Tom Black describe broncos to Mary Redmond?
3. When Tom Black initiates his physical therapy with Mary Redmond, he is getting around how?
4. One night, Tom Black dreams that Blue Elk is speaking to him as though he is still a boy, stating the 'old ways' are gone and Tom must learn to read, write, and what else?
5. Living on the mountain is healing his soul and Tom Black is slowly recalling his former self when he lived how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George and Bessie Black Bull live the winter with their son in the mountains. How do they prepare for the winter the 'old way'? What do they do for food? What clothing do they make? Where will they live? How will they keep warm?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Black Bull is taught to ride broncos at Red Dillon's ranch. His new life is totally apart from everything Ute Indian. What is the sequence of steps Red utilizes in teaching Tom? What does Tom have to learn along the way as he advances? What unethical maneuvers does Red plan to utilize to make money from Tom's efforts?
Essay Topic 3
Tom encounters the bear while herding sheep and he is surprised. It brings back memories as well as questions. Why does Tom go back to track the bear down? What will he do when he finds the bear? Why is he unable to kill the bear? What journey does his second meeting with the bear compel Tom to take?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)