|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black moves on to Thatcher's Market where he purchases what?
2. How does Tom Black Bull care for his instructor's body?
3. In a local café in Pagosa, four men are staring at Tom Black in his fancy clothes and he feels what?
4. What does Tom Black Bull's instructor die from?
5. The smell of burnt coffee in New York first reminds Tom Black of when he burned the San Juan barn, and then of what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 42, Tom accepts a simple job of shepherding when he comes back to Pagosa to recover. When he is alone with the sheep, what is he surprised by? What are the memories that flood back? How does he adjust to the simple life as he recuperates and makes plans to return to the rodeo?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Black Bull was given that baptized name by the white man. But the Ute Indians select their own names by which they will be known. Tom declares he will call himself Bear's Brother. How does he come to select that name?
Essay Topic 3
When his nurse in New York, Mary Redmond, attempts to pressure herself into his rehabilitation, Tom Black recalls others and the patterns they utilized in trapping him. Elaborate on those used by Blue Elk, Rowena Ellis, Benny Grayback, and Red Dillon. Are they attempting to help him or use him? What about Mary?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)