|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary Redmond tells Tom Black that she has located a rest home in the country run by whom?
2. Tom Black is unable to pursue his plans until he first does what?
3. Where does Tom Black leave his clothes bag while he walks up the street?
4. When Tom Black rides in Madison Square Garden, the newspaper relates that he has killed how many horses?
5. Tom Black Bull seems to draw the broncos that do what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book the reader learns the Utes are quite resourceful, and they approach life in a very practical fashion. When the farming methods taught them by the white man fail due to drought, they revert to their 'old ways', which are clearly in concert with nature. Contrast the approach of the white man to life with the 'old ways' handed down to Tom Black Bull by his parents.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 42, Tom accepts a simple job of shepherding when he comes back to Pagosa to recover. When he is alone with the sheep, what is he surprised by? What are the memories that flood back? How does he adjust to the simple life as he recuperates and makes plans to return to the rodeo?
Essay Topic 3
Tom Black Bull has a difficult time making the transition into the white man's way at the reservation school. They attempt to turn Tom into a farmer by teaching him plowing skills. Why is this unsuccessful? What is Tom's view of the usefulness of plowing and planting skills?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)