|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a local café in Pagosa, four men are staring at Tom Black in his fancy clothes and he feels what?
2. What animals does Tom Black leave the remainder of his uneaten, initial breakfast pancakes for?
3. Until he heals more, Tom Black accepts a job doing what that will not be too hard on him?
4. How does Tom Black Bull care for his instructor's body?
5. What switch is taking place in Tom Black's life as he dreams of his mother's death?
Essay Topic 1
Tom encounters the bear while herding sheep and he is surprised. It brings back memories as well as questions. Why does Tom go back to track the bear down? What will he do when he finds the bear? Why is he unable to kill the bear? What journey does his second meeting with the bear compel Tom to take?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Black Bull has a difficult time making the transition into the white man's way at the reservation school. They attempt to turn Tom into a farmer by teaching him plowing skills. Why is this unsuccessful? What is Tom's view of the usefulness of plowing and planting skills?
Essay Topic 3
George and Bessie Black Bull live the winter with their son in the mountains. How do they prepare for the winter the 'old way'? What do they do for food? What clothing do they make? Where will they live? How will they keep warm?
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)