|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom Black describe broncos to Mary Redmond?
2. What form of signaling does Albert Left Hand exercise with his dogs that Tom Black attempts again?
3. Tom Black Bull spends much time thinking as he recovers, then decides to what?
4. Looking back, what does Tom know the bear would have done had he fired his rifle and missed the bear's heart?
5. His second July riding big rodeos, Tom Black Bull's wild horse smashes into the gate and causes what injuries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Black Bull was given that baptized name by the white man. But the Ute Indians select their own names by which they will be known. Tom declares he will call himself Bear's Brother. How does he come to select that name?
Essay Topic 2
Meo is a Mexican ex-bronco twister who takes Tom Black Bull under his belt. He will end up becoming a mentor for him. Detail what Meo does outside with Tom to quiet his life over a few hours. What wisdom does Meo share with Tom? What does Meo get Tom to do the 'old way'? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him that the 'old way' has died? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him he came to learn from Red how to be his own boss? Who does Meo inform Tom that the boss is?
Essay Topic 3
What does the introductory poem summarize? What about the American Indians' demise? What about the troubled course of this story's main character into manhood?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)