|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black Bull tells Benny Grayback that he will agree to acclimate under what condition?
2. How is Tom Black Bull punished when he fights other boys?
3. When Tom Black Bull realizes he has been betrayed by Blue Elk, what does he fight for?
4. What is George Bull's demeanor when he arrives at the house following the fight?
5. Who does Tom Black Bull join with to become a bronco rider?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some reasons Tom Black decides that he must return to the rodeo?
2. Who is Tom Black reminded of by Mary Redmond attempting to pressure her way into his convalescence?
3. How is the bear cub freed, and how is Tom Black Bull returned to the agency school?
4. How do Red Dillon and Tom Black Bull exercise their con at the Bernalillo rodeo?
5. Following a number of days tracking the bear, what does Tom Black locate on Bald Mountain's first bench?
6. What are the 'old ways' Bessie Black Bull teaches Tom as they escape Pagosa and flee into Horse Mountain to link up with her husband, George?
7. What happens when Tom Black Bull encounters his bear cub the next spring at the reservation school boundaries?
8. What methods does Red Dillon use to teach Tom Black Bull to ride?
9. What transpires during Tom Black's night ride at Madison Square Garden?
10. Why do Mary Redmond and Tom Black run opposed to each other?
Essay Topic 1
Are all those whom Tom Black Bull encounters intent on using him by compelling him to adapt to the white way? How does Jim Thatcher affect Tom's life? What about other individuals?
Essay Topic 2
In the opening chapter, George Black Bull arrives home facing the initial crisis stoically and in control. An unspoken truth exists between George and the situation. Bessie Black Bull recognizes that her husband acted justly, in accordance with his conscience. Reflect on how they address the matter. What actions does George take? How does Bessie approach the situation? What actions does she take? What precautions does she follow?
Essay Topic 3
Tom encounters the bear while herding sheep and he is surprised. It brings back memories as well as questions. Why does Tom go back to track the bear down? What will he do when he finds the bear? Why is he unable to kill the bear? What journey does his second meeting with the bear compel Tom to take?
This section contains 2,309 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)