|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is the gold prospector injured?
2. Two white men exit a saloon and offer Tom Black Bull how much to ride 'his horse' at the end of town?
3. How long following his punishment does Tom Black Bull escape the school?
4. Tom Black Bull's parents teach him the methods of building lodges, preparing food for winter, and what else?
5. What method does the Mexican ex-bronco rider use to quiet Tom Black Bull's life for a few hours?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary Redmond attempt to pressure herself into becoming a continuing part of Tom Black's rehabilitation?
2. How do Tom Black Bull and his parents prepare for the winter on Horse Mountain?
3. After returning to Pagosa following his injuries in New York, what does Tom Black recall when he enters Thatcher's Market?
4. What happens when Tom Black Bull encounters his bear cub the next spring at the reservation school boundaries?
5. What transpires when Tom Black Bull makes the escape from the agency school to his lodge on the mountain in October?
6. What transpires the day after Tom Black Bull spies the gold prospector by the stream?
7. How will Tom Black work for Jim Woodward in the summer?
8. How is it that Tom Black Bull comes to get his nickname, 'Killer Tom Black' on the circuit?
9. How does the theme of the roundness of all life unfold through Bessie Black Bull?
10. How is Tom Black Bull introduced to his moneymaking skills in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Black Bull has a difficult time making the transition into the white man's way at the reservation school. They attempt to turn Tom into a farmer by teaching him plowing skills. Why is this unsuccessful? What is Tom's view of the usefulness of plowing and planting skills?
Essay Topic 2
Bessie Black Bull follows the 'old way' of teaching through songs. Elaborate on this Ute Indian approach to passing on their heritage. What songs does Tom Black Bull learn from his mother? What is he taught through them?
Essay Topic 3
Are all those whom Tom Black Bull encounters intent on using him by compelling him to adapt to the white way? How does Jim Thatcher affect Tom's life? What about other individuals?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)