|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mexican ex-bronco rider that now cooks is correct when he says what?
2. Who recognizes that Tom Black Bull and his pet bear are no threat when they arrive in town one July, and manages to calm the townsfolk?
3. What method does the Mexican ex-bronco rider use to quiet Tom Black Bull's life for a few hours?
4. What is Bessie Black Bull relieved about upon her return to the mountains following her second trip to Jim Thatcher's store?
5. Upon Bessie Black Bull's second trip to trade baskets at Jim Thatcher's store, what does she get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Tom Black the next day after he has a dream in which Blue Elk becomes Red Dillon laughing at him?
2. Following a number of days tracking the bear, what does Tom Black locate on Bald Mountain's first bench?
3. How do Tom Black Bull and his parents prepare for the winter on Horse Mountain?
4. What does the introductory poem to "When the Legends Die" summarize?
5. What transpires the day after Tom Black Bull spies the gold prospector by the stream?
6. After returning to Pagosa following his injuries in New York, what does Tom Black recall when he enters Thatcher's Market?
7. In Chapter 28, what is it that the reader learns has changed for Red Dillon and Tom Black Bull upon going back to Colorado?
8. How are the images of roundness of life contrasted with the white man's squareness?
9. What transpires during Tom Black Bull's discussion with the doctor following Meo's passing?
10. How is Tom Black Bull introduced to his moneymaking skills in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Black Bull is taught to ride broncos at Red Dillon's ranch. His new life is totally apart from everything Ute Indian. What is the sequence of steps Red utilizes in teaching Tom? What does Tom have to learn along the way as he advances? What unethical maneuvers does Red plan to utilize to make money from Tom's efforts?
Essay Topic 2
Roundness of life is a significant theme in this story. It unfolds through Bessie Black Bull, who maintains the 'old ways' and instructs them to Tom. What is it the reader learns to look for with this theme? How does the concept of continuation within all life tie in with this 'roundness' theme? Detail the method Bessie uses to teach this intrinsic truth concerning nature.
Essay Topic 3
Tom Black earned a name for himself riding rodeo. He made good money at times. Explain why it is that Tom will never return to ride in the arena.
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)