|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during one rodeo ride in Texas requiring hospitalization for Tom Black Bull?
2. Blue Elk sees Bessie Black Bull leaving the store on her second trip and steals what from her?
3. Twisted in spirit by first learning as a boy, then in young adulthood trying to kill memories and old influences, what happens to Tom?
4. What sort of lodge does George Black Bull build when snow begins to show in the mountains?
5. In addition to warmth, why does Bessie Black Bull give her son a red blanket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tom Black doing in preparation to ride rodeo again?
2. What compels Tom Black back to Horse Mountain?
3. What transpires when Tom Black Bull makes the escape from the agency school to his lodge on the mountain in October?
4. How will Tom Black work for Jim Woodward in the summer?
5. How does Tom Black Bull adjust to life at the agency school?
6. What are some of his thoughts related to the bear during Tom Black's first night spent back at the old sheep camp?
7. How does Red Dillon use Tom Black Bull to make money on his initial scam?
8. What happens to Tom Black the next day after he has a dream in which Blue Elk becomes Red Dillon laughing at him?
9. What causes Tom Black's nightmares to cease?
10. How does the Black Bull family face the opening crisis situation in the first chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When his nurse in New York, Mary Redmond, attempts to pressure herself into his rehabilitation, Tom Black recalls others and the patterns they utilized in trapping him. Elaborate on those used by Blue Elk, Rowena Ellis, Benny Grayback, and Red Dillon. Are they attempting to help him or use him? What about Mary?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Black Bull is taught to ride broncos at Red Dillon's ranch. His new life is totally apart from everything Ute Indian. What is the sequence of steps Red utilizes in teaching Tom? What does Tom have to learn along the way as he advances? What unethical maneuvers does Red plan to utilize to make money from Tom's efforts?
Essay Topic 3
For a period in each of their lives, both George Black Bull and Tom are outlaws, but each is a different type of outlaw. George is an outlaw for killing a man. What are his reasons? What type of outlaw is Tom? Why does he do what he does? Compare and contrast the two.
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)