Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black Bull tells Benny Grayback that he will agree to acclimate under what condition?
2. How is Tom Black Bull punished when he fights other boys?
3. When Tom Black Bull realizes he has been betrayed by Blue Elk, what does he fight for?
4. What is George Bull's demeanor when he arrives at the house following the fight?
5. Who does Tom Black Bull join with to become a bronco rider?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some reasons Tom Black decides that he must return to the rodeo?
2. Who is Tom Black reminded of by Mary Redmond attempting to pressure her way into his convalescence?
3. How is the bear cub freed, and how is Tom Black Bull returned to the agency school?
4. How do Red Dillon and Tom Black Bull exercise their con at the Bernalillo rodeo?
5. Following a number of days tracking the bear, what does Tom Black locate on Bald Mountain's first bench?
6. What are the 'old ways' Bessie Black Bull teaches Tom as they escape Pagosa and flee into Horse Mountain to link up with her husband, George?
7. What happens when Tom Black Bull encounters his bear cub the next spring at the reservation school boundaries?
8. What methods does Red Dillon use to teach Tom Black Bull to ride?
9. What transpires during Tom Black's night ride at Madison Square Garden?
10. Why do Mary Redmond and Tom Black run opposed to each other?
Essay Topic 1
Meo is a Mexican ex-bronco twister who takes Tom Black Bull under his belt. He will end up becoming a mentor for him. Detail what Meo does outside with Tom to quiet his life over a few hours. What wisdom does Meo share with Tom? What does Meo get Tom to do the 'old way'? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him that the 'old way' has died? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him he came to learn from Red how to be his own boss? Who does Meo inform Tom that the boss is?
Essay Topic 2
There is a distinct contrast between the life Tom Black Bull knew on Bald Mountain and his life that unfolds juxtaposed on the rodeo circuit. Compare and contrast the two lifestyles. Why does Tom pursue the rodeo when he is more content with the 'old ways' on the mountain?
Essay Topic 3
Tom encounters the bear while herding sheep and he is surprised. It brings back memories as well as questions. Why does Tom go back to track the bear down? What will he do when he finds the bear? Why is he unable to kill the bear? What journey does his second meeting with the bear compel Tom to take?
This section contains 2,309 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)