|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When his plowing fails, Tom Black Bull is next set to task as what?
2. What sort of lodge does George Black Bull build when snow begins to show in the mountains?
3. What is George Bull's demeanor when he arrives at the house following the fight?
4. Having begun to reevaluate his life, Tom Black Bull returns to the hotel and refuses to comply with orders to do what?
5. The wild bronco is a symbol of Tom Black Bull's what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom Black prepare for the winter on the first bench of Granite Peak?
2. What is Tom Black's intent regarding rebuilding his muscles following his Madison Square Garden fall?
3. Who is Tom Black reminded of by Mary Redmond attempting to pressure her way into his convalescence?
4. How is the bear cub freed, and how is Tom Black Bull returned to the agency school?
5. How does Mary Redmond attempt to pressure herself into becoming a continuing part of Tom Black's rehabilitation?
6. What does Tom Black initially dream of while in the hospital?
7. What transpires when Tom Black Bull makes the escape from the agency school to his lodge on the mountain in October?
8. What happens when Tom Black Bull encounters his bear cub the next spring at the reservation school boundaries?
9. What happens when Tom Black Bull arrives with his bear cub companion in town to trade basketry?
10. What are some of his thoughts related to the bear during Tom Black's first night spent back at the old sheep camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The bear in this story represents Tom Black Bull and his boyhood. This is his foundation, his connection with the 'old ways'. Explain how In the end, his arduous trek to find and kill his bear leads Tom to his reparation and purification of the evil individual he has become.
Essay Topic 2
Tom Black Bull is taught to ride broncos at Red Dillon's ranch. His new life is totally apart from everything Ute Indian. What is the sequence of steps Red utilizes in teaching Tom? What does Tom have to learn along the way as he advances? What unethical maneuvers does Red plan to utilize to make money from Tom's efforts?
Essay Topic 3
For a period in each of their lives, both George Black Bull and Tom are outlaws, but each is a different type of outlaw. George is an outlaw for killing a man. What are his reasons? What type of outlaw is Tom? Why does he do what he does? Compare and contrast the two.
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)