|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bessie and Tom Black Bull gather willow shoots and other plants for?
2. What is it that Tom Black Bull admires for sale in a store window when he arrives in Bayfield with Albert Left Hand?
3. When Tom Black Bull lets some animals get ill eating green corn, he is put back in the barn for how long before he goes to the horses?
4. George and Bessie Black Bull are compelled to work where for the white man?
5. Who does Tom Black Bull share a room with in the dormitory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tom Black Bull arrives with his bear cub companion in town to trade basketry?
2. What is life like when Red Dillon and Tom Black Bull work the Oklahoma panhandle and eastern New Mexico in the spring, and Colorado the following autumn?
3. Why is Tom Black unable to shoot the bear after waiting all night?
4. What transpires the day after Tom Black Bull spies the gold prospector by the stream?
5. What is the bear cub that is shackled in the corral symbolic of?
6. After Jim Woodward and the man Tom Black is relieving leave, what is Tom amazed by?
7. How is the bear cub freed, and how is Tom Black Bull returned to the agency school?
8. How are the images of roundness of life contrasted with the white man's squareness?
9. How does Tom Black prepare for the winter on the first bench of Granite Peak?
10. In Chapter 2, what sort of glimpse does the author provide of life on the Southern Ute Indian Reservation in comparison to Indian life the 'old way'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the opening chapter, George Black Bull arrives home facing the initial crisis stoically and in control. An unspoken truth exists between George and the situation. Bessie Black Bull recognizes that her husband acted justly, in accordance with his conscience. Reflect on how they address the matter. What actions does George take? How does Bessie approach the situation? What actions does she take? What precautions does she follow?
Essay Topic 2
Meo is a Mexican ex-bronco twister who takes Tom Black Bull under his belt. He will end up becoming a mentor for him. Detail what Meo does outside with Tom to quiet his life over a few hours. What wisdom does Meo share with Tom? What does Meo get Tom to do the 'old way'? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him that the 'old way' has died? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him he came to learn from Red how to be his own boss? Who does Meo inform Tom that the boss is?
Essay Topic 3
For a period in each of their lives, both George Black Bull and Tom are outlaws, but each is a different type of outlaw. George is an outlaw for killing a man. What are his reasons? What type of outlaw is Tom? Why does he do what he does? Compare and contrast the two.
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)