|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is called to interpret for Tom Black Bull because he speaks only Ute?
2. What is Bessie Black Bull relieved about upon her return to the mountains following her second trip to Jim Thatcher's store?
3. West of Corpus Christi, Tom Black Bull assesses his life and his riding skills. How many horses have died under him?
4. Where do Bessie Black Bull and her son wait for two days to ensure that no one follows them en route to their rendezvous with her husband?
5. In addition to assisting ewes and lambs through the difficulty of birth, Tom Black Bull helps protect against what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Tom Black the next day after he has a dream in which Blue Elk becomes Red Dillon laughing at him?
2. What is happening to Tom Black Bull under Red Dillon's control that is frustrating him?
3. What methods does Red Dillon use to teach Tom Black Bull to ride?
4. What compels Tom Black back to Horse Mountain?
5. What is printed about Tom Black in the newspaper when he rides in Madison Square Garden?
6. How does Tom Black Bull manage as he rides the rodeo circuit the summer following Red Dillon's death?
7. In Chapter 2, what sort of glimpse does the author provide of life on the Southern Ute Indian Reservation in comparison to Indian life the 'old way'?
8. Why is the reservation school unsuccessful in teaching Tom Black Bull how to plow fields?
9. What transpires during Tom Black's night ride at Madison Square Garden?
10. What does Tom Black initially dream of while in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meo is a Mexican ex-bronco twister who takes Tom Black Bull under his belt. He will end up becoming a mentor for him. Detail what Meo does outside with Tom to quiet his life over a few hours. What wisdom does Meo share with Tom? What does Meo get Tom to do the 'old way'? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him that the 'old way' has died? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him he came to learn from Red how to be his own boss? Who does Meo inform Tom that the boss is?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Black earned a name for himself riding rodeo. He made good money at times. Explain why it is that Tom will never return to ride in the arena.
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Black Bull was given that baptized name by the white man. But the Ute Indians select their own names by which they will be known. Tom declares he will call himself Bear's Brother. How does he come to select that name?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)