|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blue Elk arrange with the agent regarding Tom Black Bull and the bear cub?
2. What method does the Mexican ex-bronco rider use to quiet Tom Black Bull's life for a few hours?
3. What happens with George Black Bull's body?
4. Who does Tom Black Bull join with to become a bronco rider?
5. Who is called to interpret for Tom Black Bull because he speaks only Ute?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tom Black lays asleep on prickly needles, what does he dream of?
2. What is Tom Black doing in preparation to ride rodeo again?
3. What is the legend about Tom Black being a first cousin of the Devil who got into an argument with him?
4. In Chapter 28, what is it that the reader learns has changed for Red Dillon and Tom Black Bull upon going back to Colorado?
5. Why do Mary Redmond and Tom Black run opposed to each other?
6. Bessie Black Bull is concerned in reference to what Jim Thatcher told her at the store about them no longer searching for George. What does she do?
7. How does Tom Black Bull adjust to life at the agency school?
8. How do Red Dillon and Tom Black Bull exercise their con at the Bernalillo rodeo?
9. What is printed about Tom Black in the newspaper when he rides in Madison Square Garden?
10. How does Mary Redmond attempt to pressure herself into becoming a continuing part of Tom Black's rehabilitation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meo is a Mexican ex-bronco twister who takes Tom Black Bull under his belt. He will end up becoming a mentor for him. Detail what Meo does outside with Tom to quiet his life over a few hours. What wisdom does Meo share with Tom? What does Meo get Tom to do the 'old way'? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him that the 'old way' has died? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him he came to learn from Red how to be his own boss? Who does Meo inform Tom that the boss is?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Black Bull is taught to ride broncos at Red Dillon's ranch. His new life is totally apart from everything Ute Indian. What is the sequence of steps Red utilizes in teaching Tom? What does Tom have to learn along the way as he advances? What unethical maneuvers does Red plan to utilize to make money from Tom's efforts?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 42, Tom accepts a simple job of shepherding when he comes back to Pagosa to recover. When he is alone with the sheep, what is he surprised by? What are the memories that flood back? How does he adjust to the simple life as he recuperates and makes plans to return to the rodeo?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)