|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black Bull is left with the horses when his instructor buys a pickup and trailer, then goes to do what?
2. What sort of lodge does George Black Bull build when snow begins to show in the mountains?
3. Blue Elk talks Tom Black Bull into doing what with the bear cub?
4. When Tom Black Bull lets some animals get ill eating green corn, he is put back in the barn for how long before he goes to the horses?
5. How is Tom Black Bull punished when he fights other boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Jim Woodward and the man Tom Black is relieving leave, what is Tom amazed by?
2. How is the bear cub freed, and how is Tom Black Bull returned to the agency school?
3. Bessie Black Bull is concerned in reference to what Jim Thatcher told her at the store about them no longer searching for George. What does she do?
4. What happens when Tom Black Bull is locked in his room at the school and he begins to chant?
5. What is the bear cub that is shackled in the corral symbolic of?
6. What does Tom Black do when the bear rushes from the brush and kills the lamb?
7. What are the 'old ways' Bessie Black Bull teaches Tom as they escape Pagosa and flee into Horse Mountain to link up with her husband, George?
8. What transpires the day after Tom Black Bull spies the gold prospector by the stream?
9. How does the theme of the roundness of all life unfold through Bessie Black Bull?
10. How does Tom Black Bull adjust to life at the agency school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the opening chapter, George Black Bull arrives home facing the initial crisis stoically and in control. An unspoken truth exists between George and the situation. Bessie Black Bull recognizes that her husband acted justly, in accordance with his conscience. Reflect on how they address the matter. What actions does George take? How does Bessie approach the situation? What actions does she take? What precautions does she follow?
Essay Topic 2
Meo is a Mexican ex-bronco twister who takes Tom Black Bull under his belt. He will end up becoming a mentor for him. Detail what Meo does outside with Tom to quiet his life over a few hours. What wisdom does Meo share with Tom? What does Meo get Tom to do the 'old way'? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him that the 'old way' has died? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him he came to learn from Red how to be his own boss? Who does Meo inform Tom that the boss is?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Black Bull was given that baptized name by the white man. But the Ute Indians select their own names by which they will be known. Tom declares he will call himself Bear's Brother. How does he come to select that name?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)