|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to assisting ewes and lambs through the difficulty of birth, Tom Black Bull helps protect against what?
2. When Tom Black Bull lets some animals get ill eating green corn, he is put back in the barn for how long before he goes to the horses?
3. George and Bessie Black Bull are compelled to work where for the white man?
4. What is it that Tom Black Bull admires for sale in a store window when he arrives in Bayfield with Albert Left Hand?
5. How many days away from the agency school does Blue Elk take Tom Black Bull and the bear cub?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom Black accept the job offer from Jim Woodward?
2. Why is the reservation school unsuccessful in teaching Tom Black Bull how to plow fields?
3. What happens on the ride home when Red Dillon awakens from his stupor and Tom Black Dillon informs him that he took his money?
4. What compels Tom Black back to Horse Mountain?
5. Why do Mary Redmond and Tom Black run opposed to each other?
6. What is the bear cub that is shackled in the corral symbolic of?
7. How does the theme of the roundness of all life unfold through Bessie Black Bull?
8. What is happening to Tom Black Bull under Red Dillon's control that is frustrating him?
9. How does the Black Bull family face the opening crisis situation in the first chapter?
10. What are some reasons Tom Black decides that he must return to the rodeo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meo is a Mexican ex-bronco twister who takes Tom Black Bull under his belt. He will end up becoming a mentor for him. Detail what Meo does outside with Tom to quiet his life over a few hours. What wisdom does Meo share with Tom? What does Meo get Tom to do the 'old way'? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him that the 'old way' has died? What is Meo's response to Tom informing him he came to learn from Red how to be his own boss? Who does Meo inform Tom that the boss is?
Essay Topic 2
Early in the book the reader learns the Utes are quite resourceful, and they approach life in a very practical fashion. When the farming methods taught them by the white man fail due to drought, they revert to their 'old ways', which are clearly in concert with nature. Contrast the approach of the white man to life with the 'old ways' handed down to Tom Black Bull by his parents.
Essay Topic 3
Tom Black Bull is taught to ride broncos at Red Dillon's ranch. His new life is totally apart from everything Ute Indian. What is the sequence of steps Red utilizes in teaching Tom? What does Tom have to learn along the way as he advances? What unethical maneuvers does Red plan to utilize to make money from Tom's efforts?
This section contains 2,114 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)