|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The circle the stars make is juxtaposed to the squareness of what?
2. The Mexican ex-bronco rider that now cooks is correct when he says what?
3. How many days away from the agency school does Blue Elk take Tom Black Bull and the bear cub?
4. What method does the Mexican ex-bronco rider use to quiet Tom Black Bull's life for a few hours?
5. After Tom Black Bull's injury heals they go to Colorado, but his instructor is unable to pull the con, so what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tom Black doing in preparation to ride rodeo again?
2. What is printed about Tom Black in the newspaper when he rides in Madison Square Garden?
3. In Chapter 28, what is it that the reader learns has changed for Red Dillon and Tom Black Bull upon going back to Colorado?
4. Why is the reservation school unsuccessful in teaching Tom Black Bull how to plow fields?
5. What causes Tom Black to change his plans again when Woodward collects his sheep for the winter?
6. What transpires the day after Tom Black Bull spies the gold prospector by the stream?
7. What transpires during Tom Black Bull's discussion with the doctor following Meo's passing?
8. How will Tom Black work for Jim Woodward in the summer?
9. Why does Tom Black accept the job offer from Jim Woodward?
10. How does Tom Black Bull manage as he rides the rodeo circuit the summer following Red Dillon's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the opening chapter, George Black Bull arrives home facing the initial crisis stoically and in control. An unspoken truth exists between George and the situation. Bessie Black Bull recognizes that her husband acted justly, in accordance with his conscience. Reflect on how they address the matter. What actions does George take? How does Bessie approach the situation? What actions does she take? What precautions does she follow?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Black earned a name for himself riding rodeo. He made good money at times. Explain why it is that Tom will never return to ride in the arena.
Essay Topic 3
Blue Elk is an antagonist. He is a corrupted bridge linking the white and Ute worlds. Examine Blue Elk's responsibility for a significant amount of the misunderstanding and miscommunication between these two cultures. How does Blue Elk use his command of both languages to take advantage of the Ute Indians who do not speak English, and the white people who do not speak Ute? How does he exploit the greed of the white man? How does he exploit the Ute sense of justice and honesty? How is Blue Elk a twisted, unscrupulous variant of both the white man and the Ute Indian?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)