|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Blue Elk impressed to learn about Tom Black Bull?
(a) He knows the 'old ways' have no end.
(b) He brings the 'old way' out of Blue Elk by singing.
(c) He has lived alone in the 'old ways' for two years.
(d) He knows how to sing in the 'old ways' alone.
2. When Bessie Black Bull goes back to town a third time, what does she trade with Indian women in exchange for information about Blue Elk?
3. How many baskets does Bessie Black Bull trade for an ax, ammunition, a hunting knife, and candy at Jim Thatcher's store?
4. Tom Black Bull tells Benny Grayback that he will agree to acclimate under what condition?
(a) If he can retrieve items from his lodge.
(b) If he can eat Indian meals.
(c) If he can visit his parents' graves.
(d) If they will let his brother, Bear, free.
5. What happens during one rodeo ride in Texas requiring hospitalization for Tom Black Bull?
(a) He breaks his collarbone.
(b) He breaks his hip.
(c) He breaks his leg.
(d) He breaks his arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tom Black Bull escapes the school, what old Indian tracker is sent with Benny Grayback to find him?
2. What does Tom Black Bull do to relieve his anger when Red Dillon enters him into rodeo bronco riding competitions to cheat?
3. While en route to rendezvous with her husband, Bessie Black Bull and her son bathe in a ritual cleansing while singing what?
4. What does the bear cub that Tom Black Bull takes care of represent?
5. How do Tom Black Bull and his teacher later force a Mexican shepherd to make them food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following a number of days tracking the bear, what does Tom Black locate on Bald Mountain's first bench?
2. What transpires during Tom Black Bull's discussion with the doctor following Meo's passing?
3. How will Tom Black work for Jim Woodward in the summer?
4. What happens when Jim Woodward offers Tom Black a winter job a second time?
5. Why is the reservation school unsuccessful in teaching Tom Black Bull how to plow fields?
6. Why does Tom Black accept the job offer from Jim Woodward?
7. When Tom Black lays asleep on prickly needles, what does he dream of?
8. What happens when Tom Black Bull arrives with his bear cub companion in town to trade basketry?
9. What happens when Tom Black Bull is locked in his room at the school and he begins to chant?
10. What causes Tom Black's nightmares to cease?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)