|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Having begun to reevaluate his life, Tom Black Bull returns to the hotel and refuses to comply with orders to do what?
(a) Ride in the next rodeo.
(b) Return to his instructor's spread.
(c) Prepare for the next con.
(d) Take care of the horses.
2. The main character, a Ute boy, first learns the Indian legends, keeps them alive, and then lives with white men. What happens to him, ultimately?
(a) The 'old ways' are driven from his life.
(b) His 'old ways are integrated with his new life.
(c) He absorbs the white man's ways, and forever forgets the 'old ways'.
(d) The white man's ways gradually fade the 'old ways' from memory.
3. What method does the Mexican ex-bronco rider use to quiet Tom Black Bull's life for a few hours?
(a) Praying in the chapel.
(b) Harvesting chilies and beans.
(c) Playing his guitar and singing.
(d) Telling him stories of the 'old ways'.
4. The wild bronco is a symbol of Tom Black Bull's what?
(a) Love of the outdoors before being twisted by the white man.
(b) Spirit after being twisted by the white man.
(c) Spirit before being twisted by the white man.
(d) Love of nature before being twisted by the white man.
5. After Tom Black Bull escapes the school, what old Indian tracker is sent with Benny Grayback to find him?
(c) Eagle Eye.
(d) Night Owl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Black Bull do to relieve his anger when Red Dillon enters him into rodeo bronco riding competitions to cheat?
2. What is it that Tom Black Bull admires for sale in a store window when he arrives in Bayfield with Albert Left Hand?
3. How many baskets does Bessie Black Bull trade for an ax, ammunition, a hunting knife, and candy at Jim Thatcher's store?
4. What is the name of the Mexican ex-bronco rider who now cooks at Tom Black Bull's new residence?
5. In addition to warmth, why does Bessie Black Bull give her son a red blanket?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Red Dillon and Tom Black Bull exercise their con at the Bernalillo rodeo?
2. After Jim Woodward and the man Tom Black is relieving leave, what is Tom amazed by?
3. How is the bear cub freed, and how is Tom Black Bull returned to the agency school?
4. What does Tom Black do when the bear rushes from the brush and kills the lamb?
5. What compels Tom Black back to Horse Mountain?
6. What methods does Red Dillon use to teach Tom Black Bull to ride?
7. How does the Black Bull family face the opening crisis situation in the first chapter?
8. Who is Tom Black reminded of by Mary Redmond attempting to pressure her way into his convalescence?
9. After returning to Pagosa following his injuries in New York, what does Tom Black recall when he enters Thatcher's Market?
10. What are the 'old ways' Bessie Black Bull teaches Tom as they escape Pagosa and flee into Horse Mountain to link up with her husband, George?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)