|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim Thatcher tell Bessie Black Bull regarding Blue Elk following her encounter with the Indian women who initially tease her?
(a) He had nothing to do with settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(b) He was responsible for stealing from Jim Thatcher's store.
(c) He was totally responsible for settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(d) He was partly responsible for settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
2. In addition to warmth, why does Bessie Black Bull give her son a red blanket?
(a) Red is the color for trust.
(b) Red is the color for honor.
(c) Red is the color for protection.
(d) Red is the color for courage.
3. In addition to assisting ewes and lambs through the difficulty of birth, Tom Black Bull helps protect against what?
4. How long following his punishment does Tom Black Bull escape the school?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 2 days.
5. What does the gold prospector do the morning after Bear's Brother spies him along the stream?
(a) He traps one of the cubs.
(b) He shoots the she-bear and a cub.
(c) He shoots one of the bear cubs.
(d) He shoots the she-bear and traps a cub.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the first frost arrives, Bessie examines the pine nuts, acorns, and fish they have and decides what?
2. The last time Tom Black Bull returns to the hotel to find his instructor asleep and drunk again, he does what?
3. How does Blue Elk trick Tom Black Bull into agreeing to go to the agency school?
4. What is Bessie's response to the situation her man has gotten into?
5. What does the bear cub that Tom Black Bull takes care of represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bessie Black Bull is concerned in reference to what Jim Thatcher told her at the store about them no longer searching for George. What does she do?
2. What causes Tom Black to change his plans again when Woodward collects his sheep for the winter?
3. What transpires when Tom Black Bull makes the escape from the agency school to his lodge on the mountain in October?
4. How does Tom Black Bull manage as he rides the rodeo circuit the summer following Red Dillon's death?
5. What happens when Tom Black Bull arrives with his bear cub companion in town to trade basketry?
6. What is Tom Black's intent regarding rebuilding his muscles following his Madison Square Garden fall?
7. Why does Tom Black accept the job offer from Jim Woodward?
8. What transpires between Bessie Black Bull and Ute Indian women from the reservation regarding Blue Elk and his thievery?
9. What happens when Tom Black Bull is locked in his room at the school and he begins to chant?
10. What transpires during Tom Black's night ride at Madison Square Garden?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)