|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens during one rodeo ride in Texas requiring hospitalization for Tom Black Bull?
(a) He breaks his leg.
(b) He breaks his arm.
(c) He breaks his hip.
(d) He breaks his collarbone.
2. When Tom Black Bull realizes he has been betrayed by Blue Elk, what does he fight for?
(a) The life of his spirit and freedom.
(b) The duration of his pride.
(c) His anger and frustration.
(d) The endurance of his spirit and frustration.
3. Upon returning to his mountain, what does Tom Black Bull learn?
(a) He still remembers the songs of his spirit.
(b) His spirit remains pure.
(c) His spirit is becoming polluted.
(d) He has lost much of his 'old ways' knowledge.
4. Upon returning to the school, to what task is Tom Black Bull assigned at the Cobbler's Shop?
(a) Making belts and suspenders.
(b) Making shoes and belts.
(c) Making leashes and harnesses.
(d) Making quirts and bridles.
5. What does Tom Black Bull do when Benny Grayback locks him in a room?
(a) He escapes using his ax, but is found.
(b) He picks the lock open, but is stopped.
(c) He climbs out a window, but is caught.
(d) He chants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bear cub that Tom Black Bull takes care of represent?
2. Tom Black Bull tells Benny Grayback that he will agree to acclimate under what condition?
3. How is George Black Bull killed?
4. What does Red Dillon represent?
5. Blue Elk sees Bessie Black Bull leaving the store on her second trip and steals what from her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the introductory poem to "When the Legends Die" summarize?
2. How does Tom Black Bull adjust to life at the agency school?
3. Why is Tom Black unable to shoot the bear after waiting all night?
4. Why is it that Tom Black Bull gets by caring for sheep with Albert Left Hand?
5. Who is Tom Black reminded of by Mary Redmond attempting to pressure her way into his convalescence?
6. What compels Tom Black back to Horse Mountain?
7. Why does Tom Black accept the job offer from Jim Woodward?
8. How is the bear cub freed, and how is Tom Black Bull returned to the agency school?
9. How do Tom Black Bull and his parents prepare for the winter on Horse Mountain?
10. What is printed about Tom Black in the newspaper when he rides in Madison Square Garden?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)