|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens with George Black Bull's body?
(a) It is never found.
(b) Bessie and Tom bury it in the 'old way'.
(c) Animals eat it.
(d) The sheriff has it buried in the commoner's cemetery.
2. How many baskets does Bessie Black Bull trade for an ax, ammunition, a hunting knife, and candy at Jim Thatcher's store?
3. When Tom Black Bull realizes he has been betrayed by Blue Elk, what does he fight for?
(a) His anger and frustration.
(b) The life of his spirit and freedom.
(c) The duration of his pride.
(d) The endurance of his spirit and frustration.
4. What does Tom Black Bull do when Benny Grayback locks him in a room?
(a) He picks the lock open, but is stopped.
(b) He chants.
(c) He escapes using his ax, but is found.
(d) He climbs out a window, but is caught.
5. While en route to rendezvous with her husband, Bessie Black Bull and her son bathe in a ritual cleansing while singing what?
(a) A song for clean souls.
(b) A song to the sun rising.
(c) A song for rain.
(d) A song to the sunset.
Short Answer Questions
1. The wild bronco is a symbol of Tom Black Bull's what?
2. Who does Tom Black Bull share a room with in the dormitory?
3. When his plowing fails, Tom Black Bull is next set to task as what?
4. Blue Elk knows that life based on the 'old ways' contrasts starkly with how he lives and is what?
5. What does Red Dillon represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tom Black Bull arrives with his bear cub companion in town to trade basketry?
2. Why is it that Tom Black Bull gets by caring for sheep with Albert Left Hand?
3. What causes Tom Black to change his plans again when Woodward collects his sheep for the winter?
4. How do Tom Black Bull and his parents prepare for the winter on Horse Mountain?
5. What does Tom Black do when the bear rushes from the brush and kills the lamb?
6. How does the theme of the roundness of all life unfold through Bessie Black Bull?
7. What is the legend about Tom Black being a first cousin of the Devil who got into an argument with him?
8. What is happening to Tom Black Bull under Red Dillon's control that is frustrating him?
9. How will Tom Black work for Jim Woodward in the summer?
10. In Chapter 28, what is it that the reader learns has changed for Red Dillon and Tom Black Bull upon going back to Colorado?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)