|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tom Black Bull grabs the saddle to steady himself on one bronco, he is chewed out for not riding what?
2. Who has George Black Bull killed?
(a) Frank Rainwater.
(b) Frank Spotted Dog.
(c) Frank Live Deer.
(d) Frank No Deer.
3. When his plowing fails, Tom Black Bull is next set to task as what?
(a) A herd boy with the goats.
(b) A herd boy with the cows.
(c) A coop boy with the chickens.
(d) A shepherd boy with the sheep.
4. What is the powerful, violent force directing Tom Black Bull's life while he is in training on the San Juan ranch?
(a) The Mexican ex-bronco rider.
(b) His instructor.
(c) The horses.
(d) The 'old way'.
5. The wild bronco is a symbol of Tom Black Bull's what?
(a) Spirit after being twisted by the white man.
(b) Love of the outdoors before being twisted by the white man.
(c) Love of nature before being twisted by the white man.
(d) Spirit before being twisted by the white man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George Bull's demeanor when he arrives at the house following the fight?
2. Tom Black Bull and his teacher are run out of Felice with the latter shirtless, so he leaves what on a clothesline they pass?
3. What is Blue Elk impressed to learn about Tom Black Bull?
4. Where do Bessie Black Bull and her son wait for two days to ensure that no one follows them en route to their rendezvous with her husband?
5. While en route to rendezvous with her husband, Bessie Black Bull and her son bathe in a ritual cleansing while singing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the 'old ways' Bessie Black Bull teaches Tom as they escape Pagosa and flee into Horse Mountain to link up with her husband, George?
2. How does the Black Bull family face the opening crisis situation in the first chapter?
3. What compels Tom Black back to Horse Mountain?
4. How is it that Tom Black Bull gets involved in Red Dillon's final hours and burial?
5. After returning to Pagosa following his injuries in New York, what does Tom Black recall when he enters Thatcher's Market?
6. What does the introductory poem to "When the Legends Die" summarize?
7. After Jim Woodward and the man Tom Black is relieving leave, what is Tom amazed by?
8. How do Tom Black Bull and his parents prepare for the winter on Horse Mountain?
9. What happens on the ride home when Red Dillon awakens from his stupor and Tom Black Dillon informs him that he took his money?
10. What transpires between Bessie Black Bull and Ute Indian women from the reservation regarding Blue Elk and his thievery?
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)