|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bessie Black Bull relieved about upon her return to the mountains following her second trip to Jim Thatcher's store?
(a) She and her son can return to the Southern Ute reservation.
(b) Her son will be going to the white man's school.
(c) Bear's Brother will be going to the white man's school.
(d) The problem concerning Frank No Deer is resolved.
2. What is the powerful, violent force directing Tom Black Bull's life while he is in training on the San Juan ranch?
(a) The horses.
(b) The 'old way'.
(c) The Mexican ex-bronco rider.
(d) His instructor.
3. Tom Black Bull tells Benny Grayback that he will agree to acclimate under what condition?
(a) If he can eat Indian meals.
(b) If he can retrieve items from his lodge.
(c) If they will let his brother, Bear, free.
(d) If he can visit his parents' graves.
4. How does Tom Black Bull share part of his deer kill?
(a) With the sheriff.
(b) With Blue Elk.
(c) With Jim Thatcher.
(d) With a bear.
5. Who does Tom Black Bull share a room with in the dormitory?
(a) Luther Spotted Dog.
(b) Albert Left Hand.
(d) Frank No Deer.
Short Answer Questions
1. The other students tease Tom Black Bull about his basket weaving skill and call him what?
2. What does Jim Thatcher tell Bessie Black Bull regarding Blue Elk following her encounter with the Indian women who initially tease her?
3. When the first frost arrives, Bessie examines the pine nuts, acorns, and fish they have and decides what?
4. What is Blue Elk impressed to learn about Tom Black Bull?
5. What does the introductory poem summarize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tom Black's intent regarding rebuilding his muscles following his Madison Square Garden fall?
2. How does Meo, the Mexican ex-bronco twister, take Tom Black Bull under his belt at Red Dillon's spread?
3. What causes Tom Black to change his plans again when Woodward collects his sheep for the winter?
4. When Tom Black lays asleep on prickly needles, what does he dream of?
5. How do Red Dillon and Tom Black Bull exercise their con at the Bernalillo rodeo?
6. What does Blue Elk do in his attempt to trick Tom Black Bull to return with him to the school?
7. After returning to Pagosa following his injuries in New York, what does Tom Black recall when he enters Thatcher's Market?
8. What is the legend about Tom Black being a first cousin of the Devil who got into an argument with him?
9. Why is it that Tom Black Bull gets by caring for sheep with Albert Left Hand?
10. What methods does Red Dillon use to teach Tom Black Bull to ride?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)