|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom not realize takes place whenever he is 'riding for the crowd' and as a killer?
(a) He can never stop drugs for pain.
(b) He always loses.
(c) He is riding the white man's way.
(d) He only wins when he kills.
2. What does Tom Black Bull's instructor die from?
(a) A bad heart, liver, and kidneys.
(b) A gunshot wound.
(c) A brain aneurysm.
(d) Being thrown from a horse.
3. What does Mary Redmond tell Tom Black she once cried all night over?
(a) Losing a dog she wanted.
(b) Losing a rabbit she wanted.
(c) Losing a canary she wanted.
(d) Losing a goldfish she wanted.
4. Tom Black obtains the rodeo schedule, intends to make a comeback, and plans to use his summer pay to buy what?
(a) A trailer.
(b) Hotel rooms and food.
(c) A saddle.
(d) A car.
5. When does Tom Black's employer link up with him to collect the herd?
6. Those who observe how Tom Black rides and lives between rides see that the ride is the only time he does what?
(d) Comes alive.
7. After several more seasons, legends about Tom Black Bull start to crop up as well as what new nickname?
(a) Ruthless Tom Killer.
(b) Killer Tom Black.
(c) Tom Black Vengeance.
(d) Hostile Tom Devil.
8. The smell of burnt coffee in New York first reminds Tom Black of when he burned the San Juan barn, and then of what?
(a) Reservation life as a young child, his mother's breakfasts.
(b) Burnt coffee in all the cheap cafes he ate at.
(c) Agency school life, his first time eating white man's food.
(d) Everything about living on the San Juan ranch.
9. After his first summer on the big rodeo circuit, Tom Black Bull returns to the ranch to discover what on his first evening back?
(a) The Mexican ex-bronco rider rummaging his wallet.
(b) The Mexican ex-bronco rider rummaging his suitcase.
(c) The Mexican ex-bronco rider rummaging his trousers pockets.
(d) The Mexican ex-bronco rider rummaging his jacket pockets.
10. By the last chapter, Tom Black's name has changed to what?
(a) Tom Grizzly Bear.
(b) Chief Black Bull.
(c) Chief Bear's Brother.
(d) Tom Black Bull.
11. Tom will live awhile in the 'old ways', then go to town and the Indian school to see what is happening, but will not what?
(a) Go back to the arena.
(b) Find out what became of Blue Elk.
(c) Hunt game any further, only fish.
(d) Seek out Jim Thatcher.
12. Where does Tom Black ride his gentle horse?
(a) Scouting aspens between Bald Mountain, Granite Peak.
(b) Scouting meadows between Bald Mountain, Granite Peak.
(c) Scouting the desert sands between Bald Mountain, Granite Peak.
(d) Scouting the brush between Bald Mountain, Granite Peak.
13. Walking up the street, Tom Black recognizes what Indian across the road that now looks like a skid row character?
(a) Charley Huckleberry, a former council member.
(b) Blue Elk, who used to trick him.
(c) Luther Spotted Dog, his former roommate.
(d) Benny Grayback, the old head man.
14. As Tom Black Bull moves into the big time rodeo, riding as his own man, what is he bringing Into his next stage of life?
(a) His new successful sense of achievement.
(b) His new, hard, vicious spirit.
(c) His new calm, peaceful tranquility.
(d) His new fear of loss and injury.
15. Now that he is about to leave the hospital, Tom Black knows at this phase that he will be alone, raw, and without the shield of what that he has had for so long?
(a) The morbid rodeo crowd.
(b) Nurses and doctors.
(c) Harmony of nature, roundness of life.
(d) His anger and violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom Black's reaction when children in the park recognize him and point him out as a killer?
2. One afternoon Tom Black picks grasses, weaves a tiny basket, then leaves it in a tree as a nest for what?
3. How does Tom Black describe broncos to Mary Redmond?
4. Where does Tom Black still have to face his fear in person?
5. Upon returning to the ranch to recover a second time, Tom Black Bull learns what about the Mexican ex-bronco rider?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)