|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Living on the mountain is healing his soul and Tom Black is slowly recalling his former self when he lived how?
(a) The 'old way'.
(b) The 'natural way'.
(c) The 'Ute way'.
(d) The 'mountain way'.
2. Tom Black was obsessed with killing his past, but why does he now see that he must kill that which he has become?
(a) Rid himself of his bronco riding ways and embark on a new path.
(b) To escape his past and embark on a new future.
(c) To get back where the 'old way' and a new one can blend.
(d) To get back to the wholeness that is his heritage.
3. Mary Redmond tells Tom Black that she has located a rest home in the country run by whom?
(a) A man she knows.
(b) A woman she knows.
(c) A retired couple she knows.
(d) A young couple she knows.
4. Starved, what does Tom Bull begin cooking for his next meal following breakfast on his initial day at work?
(c) Beef steak.
(d) Venison roast.
5. Walking up the street, Tom Black recognizes what Indian across the road that now looks like a skid row character?
(a) Charley Huckleberry, a former council member.
(b) Blue Elk, who used to trick him.
(c) Benny Grayback, the old head man.
(d) Luther Spotted Dog, his former roommate.
6. Upon returning to the ranch to recover a second time, Tom Black Bull learns what about the Mexican ex-bronco rider?
(a) He drowned attempting a rescue in a flooded stream.
(b) He decided to die in his sleep.
(c) He decided to commit suicide by gunshot.
(d) He broke his neck falling from a horse.
7. What does Tom Black do in response to an animal near him in the meadow being killed by a wild animal?
(a) Shoots the wild animal that killed the lamb.
(b) Pulls his leg chasing the wild animal.
(c) Helps the dogs round the sheep in chaos.
(d) Chases the wild animal up the mountainside.
8. Talking with his employer about the bear he saw makes Tom Black do what?
(a) Change his plans again.
(b) Talk his employer into following him to where he saw the bear.
(c) Purchase a rifle to hunt the bear.
(d) Continue with his plans for the rodeo.
9. What does Tom Black Bull's instructor die from?
(a) Being thrown from a horse.
(b) A brain aneurysm.
(c) A bad heart, liver, and kidneys.
(d) A gunshot wound.
10. When the time comes where Tom Black is looking for rehabilitation homes, what is Mary Redmond trying to do?
(a) Move to Florida to find a home near the beach.
(b) Escape being slowly trapped as part of his life.
(c) Remain a continuing part of his rehabilitation.
(d) Slowly remove herself from part of his rehabilitation.
11. Tom sets out to kill a boyhood, ends up killing the man he has been for so long, and finds what?
(b) His parents.
(c) His childhood friends.
(d) Those in Pagosa.
12. In Tom Black's contact with Mary Redmond, he recalls the others who tried to make him do things their way. Who are they?
(a) Bessie Black Bull, Rowena Ellis, Benny Grayback, Meo.
(b) Meo, Rowena Ellis, Frank No Deer, George Black Bull.
(c) Blue Elk, Frank No Deer, Jim Thatcher, Red Dillon.
(d) Blue Elk, Rowena Ellis, Benny Grayback, Red Dillon.
13. What is it that Mary Redmond wants with Tom Black?
(a) To share pride with him.
(b) To offer encouragement with him.
(c) To have control over him.
(d) To provide assistance to him.
14. Tom Black Bull seems to draw the broncos that do what?
(a) Mirror his dark, vicious nature.
(b) Reflect his excited, yet satisfied nature.
(c) Expose his light, content nature.
(d) Reveal his nasty, yet accepting nature.
15. What animals does Tom Black leave the remainder of his uneaten, initial breakfast pancakes for?
(a) Prairie chickens, prairie dogs.
(b) Grouse, squirrels.
(c) Prairie dogs, chipmunks.
(d) Chipmunks, birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom will live awhile in the 'old ways', then go to town and the Indian school to see what is happening, but will not what?
2. During his night ride at the Madison Square Garden rodeo, what parts of Tom Black's body go numb with pain?
3. In Tom Black's second dream while in the juniper on Horse Mountain, thoughts of what go through his mind?
4. Tom Black dreams about his mother dying, chanting her death song, which brings what to the foreground of his psyche?
5. What form of signaling does Albert Left Hand exercise with his dogs that Tom Black attempts again?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)