|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom Black feel later that day after he awakes from his dream?
(a) Jolt of the bronco coming out of the chute.
(b) Thrown from a bronco coming out of the chute.
(c) Landed on by a bronco, his last ride.
(d) Slammed against the gate while on the bronco.
2. What is Tom Black's reaction when children in the park recognize him and point him out as a killer?
(a) He is saddened, knowing that it is children who are affected.
(b) He ignores them outwardly, but inside it tears him apart.
(c) It does not bother him in the least.
(d) He points back at them, says they are next.
3. Why does Mary Redmond not like cats?
(a) Cats are finicky eaters.
(b) Cats scratch too quickly.
(c) Cats claw furniture.
(d) Cats are too independent.
4. By the last chapter, Tom Black's name has changed to what?
(a) Tom Black Bull.
(b) Chief Black Bull.
(c) Chief Bear's Brother.
(d) Tom Grizzly Bear.
5. Tom Black Bull seems to draw the broncos that do what?
(a) Reflect his excited, yet satisfied nature.
(b) Reveal his nasty, yet accepting nature.
(c) Expose his light, content nature.
(d) Mirror his dark, vicious nature.
6. Until he heals more, Tom Black accepts a job doing what that will not be too hard on him?
(a) Leather cobbling.
(b) Cattle herding.
(d) Store clerking, shelf stocking.
7. Where does Tom Black ride his gentle horse?
(a) Scouting meadows between Bald Mountain, Granite Peak.
(b) Scouting aspens between Bald Mountain, Granite Peak.
(c) Scouting the desert sands between Bald Mountain, Granite Peak.
(d) Scouting the brush between Bald Mountain, Granite Peak.
8. When does Tom Black's employer link up with him to collect the herd?
9. Starved, what does Tom Bull begin cooking for his next meal following breakfast on his initial day at work?
(b) Venison roast.
(c) Beef steak.
10. Tom Black Bull spends much time thinking as he recovers, then decides to what?
(a) Buy the ranch and give up rodeo riding.
(b) Burn down the ranch cabin and barn.
(c) Quit rodeo riding and return to the mountain.
(d) Buy the ranch and teach Utes to ride broncos.
11. What does Tom Black do in response to an animal near him in the meadow being killed by a wild animal?
(a) Chases the wild animal up the mountainside.
(b) Pulls his leg chasing the wild animal.
(c) Shoots the wild animal that killed the lamb.
(d) Helps the dogs round the sheep in chaos.
12. Tom Black faces various crossroads in his life, each time taking the path leading to what?
(a) His desire for injury, pain.
(b) His self-indulging ego, power.
(c) A legend that Utes are natural bronco riders.
(d) His skillful riding talent displayed.
13. In New York, Tom dreams of back-country rodeos, the San Juan ranch, his mother, and mountains, but all the dreams end how?
(a) As a youth bathing in an icy brook, chanting to a new day.
(b) Him trapped saddled to a bronco forever falling.
(c) He and his mother fleeing Pagosa to meet his father.
(d) His first ride on a bronco in a small rodeo.
14. In Tom Black's second dream while in the juniper on Horse Mountain, thoughts of what go through his mind?
(a) Situations of extreme physical pain.
(b) Feeling of the icy cold water he bathed in.
(c) Items he has smelled or tasted burnt.
(d) Loneliness in the absence of his father and mother.
15. After several more seasons, legends about Tom Black Bull start to crop up as well as what new nickname?
(a) Tom Black Vengeance.
(b) Killer Tom Black.
(c) Ruthless Tom Killer.
(d) Hostile Tom Devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black moves on to Thatcher's Market where he purchases what?
2. What does Tom Black tell his new employer about his past?
3. What is it that Mary Redmond wants with Tom Black?
4. What form of signaling does Albert Left Hand exercise with his dogs that Tom Black attempts again?
5. Where does Tom Black leave his clothes bag while he walks up the street?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)