|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom Black Bull spends much time thinking as he recovers, then decides to what?
(a) Quit rodeo riding and return to the mountain.
(b) Buy the ranch and teach Utes to ride broncos.
(c) Burn down the ranch cabin and barn.
(d) Buy the ranch and give up rodeo riding.
2. What does Tom Black do in response to an animal near him in the meadow being killed by a wild animal?
(a) Helps the dogs round the sheep in chaos.
(b) Shoots the wild animal that killed the lamb.
(c) Pulls his leg chasing the wild animal.
(d) Chases the wild animal up the mountainside.
3. Those who observe how Tom Black rides and lives between rides see that the ride is the only time he does what?
(c) Comes alive.
4. During his night ride at the Madison Square Garden rodeo, what parts of Tom Black's body go numb with pain?
(a) Left arm and elbow.
(b) Right arm and elbow.
(c) Right knee and ankle.
(d) Left knee and ankle.
5. What form of signaling does Albert Left Hand exercise with his dogs that Tom Black attempts again?
(b) Hand signaling.
(c) Smoke signaling with his pipe.
(d) Ute terminology.
6. When he makes his way around the mountain the first time in his search for the bear, the odds are in favor of it being what type?
(a) The grizzly cub he knew as a child, not a large cinnamon.
(b) Large black, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
(c) Large cinnamon, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
(d) Large mountain bear, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
7. Upon returning to the ranch to recover a second time, Tom Black Bull learns what about the Mexican ex-bronco rider?
(a) He decided to commit suicide by gunshot.
(b) He drowned attempting a rescue in a flooded stream.
(c) He broke his neck falling from a horse.
(d) He decided to die in his sleep.
8. One afternoon Tom Black picks grasses, weaves a tiny basket, then leaves it in a tree as a nest for what?
(a) A field mouse.
(b) A chipmunk.
(c) A prairie chicken.
(d) A prairie dog.
9. What do the beans being choked by the weeds represent?
(a) The life being choked from horses on the rodeo circuit.
(b) Tom Black Bull being nearly choked from the white man's rodeo circuit.
(c) Tom Black Bull being nearly choked from life on the ranch.
(d) The Mexican ex-bronco rider's life being choked from his farming life.
10. What prescription does Tom Black's doctor offer, which allows for little else on his new job?
(a) Eat, think, sleep.
(b) Eat, sleep, ride quiet horses.
(c) Eat, sleep, walk.
(d) Eat, sleep, relax.
11. Tom Black dreams about his mother dying, chanting her death song, which brings what to the foreground of his psyche?
(a) Life at the reservation school.
(b) More of the 'old ways'.
(c) Life at the San Juan ranch.
(d) Experiences in the arena.
12. What does Mary Redmond tell Tom Black she once cried all night over?
(a) Losing a goldfish she wanted.
(b) Losing a rabbit she wanted.
(c) Losing a canary she wanted.
(d) Losing a dog she wanted.
13. Tom Black faces a crossroads following his Madison Square Garden rodeo ride; one that starts where?
(a) At the brink of his death.
(b) Following a twisted ankle.
(c) After another minor injury.
(d) A successful ride.
14. Tom Black Bull seems to draw the broncos that do what?
(a) Mirror his dark, vicious nature.
(b) Reflect his excited, yet satisfied nature.
(c) Expose his light, content nature.
(d) Reveal his nasty, yet accepting nature.
15. Starved, what does Tom Bull begin cooking for his next meal following breakfast on his initial day at work?
(a) Beef steak.
(b) Venison roast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom will live awhile in the 'old ways', then go to town and the Indian school to see what is happening, but will not what?
2. How does Tom Black Bull feel about his first ride in the big time?
3. Tom Black had gotten rid of all memory smells but the bear, and he plans to track it down and do what if it is a grizzly?
4. What is Tom Black trying to kill through his own violence and the killing, bronco riding legend he has become?
5. Where does Tom Black still have to face his fear in person?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)