|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tom Black's reaction when children in the park recognize him and point him out as a killer?
(a) He ignores them outwardly, but inside it tears him apart.
(b) He is saddened, knowing that it is children who are affected.
(c) It does not bother him in the least.
(d) He points back at them, says they are next.
2. What is Tom Black's painful trek back up the mountain, naked and completely vulnerable to nature, an act of?
3. Tom Black faces various crossroads in his life, each time taking the path leading to what?
(a) His desire for injury, pain.
(b) His self-indulging ego, power.
(c) A legend that Utes are natural bronco riders.
(d) His skillful riding talent displayed.
4. What is Tom Black trying to kill through his own violence and the killing, bronco riding legend he has become?
(a) Indian legends that made up his earlier life.
(b) Attitudes of the crowds coming only to watch violence.
(c) The white man's lifestyle he has adopted.
(d) The brutality and vengeance that has grown up in him.
5. Starved, what does Tom Bull begin cooking for his next meal following breakfast on his initial day at work?
(c) Beef steak.
(d) Venison roast.
6. What switch is taking place in Tom Black's life as he dreams of his mother's death?
(a) Tom is becoming sad about his need to ride rodeo again.
(b) Tom is concentrating increasingly about his future.
(c) Tom is slipping back more into his past.
(d) Tom is worrying about his dying on the rodeo circuit.
7. When he makes his way around the mountain the first time in his search for the bear, the odds are in favor of it being what type?
(a) Large cinnamon, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
(b) Large black, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
(c) The grizzly cub he knew as a child, not a large cinnamon.
(d) Large mountain bear, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
8. Tom Black pushes himself beyond what is approved for his rehabilitation, causing Mary Redmond to be what?
9. When the time comes where Tom Black is looking for rehabilitation homes, what is Mary Redmond trying to do?
(a) Escape being slowly trapped as part of his life.
(b) Move to Florida to find a home near the beach.
(c) Remain a continuing part of his rehabilitation.
(d) Slowly remove herself from part of his rehabilitation.
10. The smell of burnt coffee in New York first reminds Tom Black of when he burned the San Juan barn, and then of what?
(a) Burnt coffee in all the cheap cafes he ate at.
(b) Reservation life as a young child, his mother's breakfasts.
(c) Everything about living on the San Juan ranch.
(d) Agency school life, his first time eating white man's food.
11. In the final chapter, where does Tom build his new lodge?
(a) The first bench of Bald Mountain.
(b) The first bench of Horse Mountain.
(c) The first bench of Granite Peak.
(d) The first bench of Grizzly Mountain.
12. Living on the mountain is healing his soul and Tom Black is slowly recalling his former self when he lived how?
(a) The 'natural way'.
(b) The 'Ute way'.
(c) The 'mountain way'.
(d) The 'old way'.
13. His second July riding big rodeos, Tom Black Bull's wild horse smashes into the gate and causes what injuries?
(a) Pierces the horse's chest, breaks Tom's arm and ribs.
(b) Pierces the horse's chest, breaks Tom's leg and ribs.
(c) Breaks the horse's neck and Tom's arm.
(d) Pierces the horse's chest, breaks Tom's arm and leg.
14. What prescription does Tom Black's doctor offer, which allows for little else on his new job?
(a) Eat, sleep, ride quiet horses.
(b) Eat, sleep, walk.
(c) Eat, think, sleep.
(d) Eat, sleep, relax.
15. When Tom Black initiates his physical therapy with Mary Redmond, he is getting around how?
(a) Held up by two aides.
(b) Using a cane.
(c) In a wheelchair.
(d) With crutches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom Black head back to after stocking up on supplies?
2. After several more seasons, legends about Tom Black Bull start to crop up as well as what new nickname?
3. What form of exercise does Tom Black use to strengthen his legs?
4. Tom Black Bull seems to draw the broncos that do what?
5. What do the beans being choked by the weeds represent?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)