|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tom Black's second dream while in the juniper on Horse Mountain, thoughts of what go through his mind?
(a) Items he has smelled or tasted burnt.
(b) Situations of extreme physical pain.
(c) Feeling of the icy cold water he bathed in.
(d) Loneliness in the absence of his father and mother.
2. Tom Black dreams about his mother dying, chanting her death song, which brings what to the foreground of his psyche?
(a) More of the 'old ways'.
(b) Experiences in the arena.
(c) Life at the reservation school.
(d) Life at the San Juan ranch.
3. A bear rushes into the meadow from the brush and kills what, as Tom Black muses over his rodeo plans one day?
(a) A lamb.
(b) A herding dog.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A horse.
4. Starved, what does Tom Bull begin cooking for his next meal following breakfast on his initial day at work?
(b) Beef steak.
(c) Venison roast.
5. When he makes his way around the mountain the first time in his search for the bear, the odds are in favor of it being what type?
(a) The grizzly cub he knew as a child, not a large cinnamon.
(b) Large mountain bear, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
(c) Large cinnamon, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
(d) Large black, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
6. One night, Tom Black dreams that Blue Elk is speaking to him as though he is still a boy, stating the 'old ways' are gone and Tom must learn to read, write, and what else?
(a) Raise sheep.
(b) Raise cows.
(c) Plow fields.
(d) Rope steer.
7. Looking back, what does Tom know the bear would have done had he fired his rifle and missed the bear's heart?
(a) Killed him.
(b) Awaited to be killed.
(c) Stared at him.
(d) Run away.
8. What animals does Tom Black leave the remainder of his uneaten, initial breakfast pancakes for?
(a) Prairie dogs, chipmunks.
(b) Chipmunks, birds.
(c) Grouse, squirrels.
(d) Prairie chickens, prairie dogs.
9. During his night ride at the Madison Square Garden rodeo, what parts of Tom Black's body go numb with pain?
(a) Right knee and ankle.
(b) Left arm and elbow.
(c) Right arm and elbow.
(d) Left knee and ankle.
10. Tom Black finds where the bear has cached the remains of a kill it has made, so he does what?
(a) Picks a spot in a nearby tree, waits for the bear to return.
(b) Picks a spot among nearby boulders, waits for the bear to return.
(c) Decides to give up his hunt, returns to break his camp down.
(d) Continues to track the bear now that he is closing in.
11. Living on the mountain is healing his soul and Tom Black is slowly recalling his former self when he lived how?
(a) The 'mountain way'.
(b) The 'Ute way'.
(c) The 'old way'.
(d) The 'natural way'.
12. Tom Black tracks the bear up the mountain, circles back around to where he started, and discovers what?
(a) Where it cached a carcass.
(b) Not another fresh sign.
(c) Not another sign.
(d) Only an old sign where it once slept.
13. Upon returning to the ranch to recover a second time, Tom Black Bull learns what about the Mexican ex-bronco rider?
(a) He decided to die in his sleep.
(b) He drowned attempting a rescue in a flooded stream.
(c) He broke his neck falling from a horse.
(d) He decided to commit suicide by gunshot.
14. Until he heals more, Tom Black accepts a job doing what that will not be too hard on him?
(b) Cattle herding.
(c) Store clerking, shelf stocking.
(d) Leather cobbling.
15. What does Tom Black Bull's instructor die from?
(a) A brain aneurysm.
(b) A bad heart, liver, and kidneys.
(c) Being thrown from a horse.
(d) A gunshot wound.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who observe how Tom Black rides and lives between rides see that the ride is the only time he does what?
2. How does Tom Black Bull care for his instructor's body?
3. When the time comes where Tom Black is looking for rehabilitation homes, what is Mary Redmond trying to do?
4. Where does Tom Black still have to face his fear in person?
5. When does Tom Black arrive and camp at his old campsite when he returns to locate the bear?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)