|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom Black tracks the bear up the mountain, circles back around to where he started, and discovers what?
(a) Only an old sign where it once slept.
(b) Where it cached a carcass.
(c) Not another sign.
(d) Not another fresh sign.
2. What is Tom Black trying to kill through his own violence and the killing, bronco riding legend he has become?
(a) Attitudes of the crowds coming only to watch violence.
(b) Indian legends that made up his earlier life.
(c) The white man's lifestyle he has adopted.
(d) The brutality and vengeance that has grown up in him.
3. What form of exercise does Tom Black use to strengthen his legs?
(a) Mountain hiking.
(c) Jumping rope.
4. Tom Black moves on to Thatcher's Market where he purchases what?
(a) A blue coat with brass buttons.
(b) A new western hat.
(c) Work clothes, to change his image.
(d) More practical, casual clothing.
5. Tom Black is unable to pursue his plans until he first does what?
(a) Traps the bear.
(b) Attempts to find the bear.
(c) Kills the bear.
(d) Faces the bear.
6. During his night ride at the Madison Square Garden rodeo, what parts of Tom Black's body go numb with pain?
(a) Right knee and ankle.
(b) Right arm and elbow.
(c) Left arm and elbow.
(d) Left knee and ankle.
7. Who initially attempts to help Tom Black deal with his dreams in New York?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A nurse.
(d) An Indian rodeo hand.
8. When he reaches the top of the mountain, Tom Black begins to dream, and these dreams summarize his life's battle to do what?
(a) Discover who he is.
(b) Find where he has been, where he is going.
(c) Learn the path he must now take.
(d) Establish his goals.
9. What prescription does Tom Black's doctor offer, which allows for little else on his new job?
(a) Eat, sleep, ride quiet horses.
(b) Eat, sleep, walk.
(c) Eat, sleep, relax.
(d) Eat, think, sleep.
10. When he makes his way around the mountain the first time in his search for the bear, the odds are in favor of it being what type?
(a) Large black, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
(b) Large mountain bear, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
(c) The grizzly cub he knew as a child, not a large cinnamon.
(d) Large cinnamon, not the grizzly cub he knew as a child.
11. Upon returning to the ranch to recover a second time, Tom Black Bull learns what about the Mexican ex-bronco rider?
(a) He decided to commit suicide by gunshot.
(b) He decided to die in his sleep.
(c) He broke his neck falling from a horse.
(d) He drowned attempting a rescue in a flooded stream.
12. Tom Black pushes himself beyond what is approved for his rehabilitation, causing Mary Redmond to be what?
13. The smell of burnt coffee in New York first reminds Tom Black of when he burned the San Juan barn, and then of what?
(a) Burnt coffee in all the cheap cafes he ate at.
(b) Everything about living on the San Juan ranch.
(c) Reservation life as a young child, his mother's breakfasts.
(d) Agency school life, his first time eating white man's food.
14. After several more seasons, legends about Tom Black Bull start to crop up as well as what new nickname?
(a) Hostile Tom Devil.
(b) Ruthless Tom Killer.
(c) Killer Tom Black.
(d) Tom Black Vengeance.
15. Now that he is about to leave the hospital, Tom Black knows at this phase that he will be alone, raw, and without the shield of what that he has had for so long?
(a) Nurses and doctors.
(b) The morbid rodeo crowd.
(c) Harmony of nature, roundness of life.
(d) His anger and violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the beans being choked by the weeds represent?
2. One afternoon Tom Black picks grasses, weaves a tiny basket, then leaves it in a tree as a nest for what?
3. What does Tom not realize takes place whenever he is 'riding for the crowd' and as a killer?
4. What is Tom Black's reaction when children in the park recognize him and point him out as a killer?
5. The day following his dream about Blue Elk, Tom Black bathes where?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)