|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The spring after they are run out of Felice, where do Tom Black Bull and his teacher work?
(a) Northern Texas and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(b) Southwestern Kansas and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(c) Southern Colorado.
(d) Eastern New Mexico and the Oklahoma panhandle.
2. In addition to warmth, why does Bessie Black Bull give her son a red blanket?
(a) Red is the color for honor.
(b) Red is the color for protection.
(c) Red is the color for courage.
(d) Red is the color for trust.
3. In addition to assisting ewes and lambs through the difficulty of birth, Tom Black Bull helps protect against what?
4. Tom Black Bull is taken to his new dormitory room to get what?
(a) Pencils and paper.
(b) A Holy Bible.
(c) White man's clothes.
(d) White man's food.
5. Who does Tom Black Bull join with to become a bronco rider?
(a) Marty Redmond.
(b) Bill Edwards.
(c) Red Dillon.
(d) Ed Porter.
6. Tom Black Bull is left with the horses when his instructor buys a pickup and trailer, then goes to do what?
(a) Attempt to collect bets.
(b) Buy beer.
(c) Sell his ranch.
(d) Sell the horses.
7. George and Bessie Black Bull are compelled to work where for the white man?
(a) The sawmill.
(b) The cattle ranch.
(c) The sheep ranch.
(d) The steelmill.
8. What is it that Tom Black Bull admires for sale in a store window when he arrives in Bayfield with Albert Left Hand?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A horse blanket.
(c) A saddle.
(d) A jacket with brass buttons.
9. Upon returning to his mountain, what does Tom Black Bull learn?
(a) His spirit remains pure.
(b) He has lost much of his 'old ways' knowledge.
(c) His spirit is becoming polluted.
(d) He still remembers the songs of his spirit.
10. What does Tom Black Bull do when Benny Grayback locks him in a room?
(a) He picks the lock open, but is stopped.
(b) He chants.
(c) He climbs out a window, but is caught.
(d) He escapes using his ax, but is found.
11. When Tom Black Bull realizes he has been betrayed by Blue Elk, what does he fight for?
(a) The endurance of his spirit and frustration.
(b) The life of his spirit and freedom.
(c) His anger and frustration.
(d) The duration of his pride.
12. When Jim Thatcher tells Bessie Black Bull that Frank No Deer's death was self-defense, what does she do?
(a) She tells him it is too late, that George is dead.
(b) She does not believe him, so she and Tom quickly leave town.
(c) She returns to the Southern Ute reservation.
(d) She and Tom part ways, as she believes they will look for him.
13. When Tom Black Bull is entered in the first rodeo in Aztec, what is he instructed to do?
(a) Win each ride.
(b) Ride in a betting scam.
(c) Ride hard, but honestly.
(d) Ride without getting hurt.
14. What differs between horses that Tom Black Bull rode on the sagebrush range and those that he rides on the new spread?
(a) Indian ponies were smaller.
(b) Essentially no difference.
(c) Indian horses were bigger.
(d) Indian ponies were heftier.
15. What does Tom Black Bull do to relieve his anger when Red Dillon enters him into rodeo bronco riding competitions to cheat?
(a) Vents it in any way he can.
(b) Vents it in every illegal way he can.
(c) Vents it in every legal way he can.
(d) Quits riding altogether.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two white men exit a saloon and offer Tom Black Bull how much to ride 'his horse' at the end of town?
2. Upon Bessie Black Bull's second trip to trade baskets at Jim Thatcher's store, what does she get?
3. What does the introductory poem summarize?
4. Who is called to interpret for Tom Black Bull because he speaks only Ute?
5. Why has Tom Black Bull taken well to caring for the sheep?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)