|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom Black Bull's ego and sense of adventure are fed by what as he assesses himself west of Corpus Christi?
(a) Eating in cafes instead of the Mexican ex-bronco rider's cooking.
(b) The exhilaration and bravado of the rodeo circuit.
(c) Sleeping in hotels instead of a dormitory room.
(d) Winning big bets on the rodeo circuit.
2. Blue Elk knows that life based on the 'old ways' contrasts starkly with how he lives and is what?
(a) Comparable to his lifestyle.
(b) Inferior to his lifestyle.
(c) Superior to his lifestyle.
(d) Identical to his lifestyle.
3. What does Blue Elk arrange with the agent regarding Tom Black Bull and the bear cub?
(a) To kill the cub with his bow and an arrow, and tell Tom he released it.
(b) To kill the cub and release Tom on the mountain.
(c) To accompany both to his lodge and release them there.
(d) To accompany them to the mountain, release the cub, and bring Tom back.
4. Tom Black Bull and his teacher are run out of Felice with the latter shirtless, so he leaves what on a clothesline they pass?
(a) A $5 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(b) A $2 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(c) A $1 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(d) A $10 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
5. When Tom Black Bull is entered in the first rodeo in Aztec, what is he instructed to do?
(a) Ride hard, but honestly.
(b) Win each ride.
(c) Ride without getting hurt.
(d) Ride in a betting scam.
6. In regards to Blue Elk being willing to sell his own grandmother, what is his reply?
(a) She teaches at a different reservation.
(b) He never knew her.
(c) She works in a town over the mountains.
(d) She is dead.
7. What is Bessie's response to the situation her man has gotten into?
(a) She chastises her husband - he has gotten his family into deep trouble.
(b) She collects her son and departs - George acted foolishly, in anger.
(c) She questions George - what has he done to be chased by the white man.
(d) She understands an unspoken truth - George acted justly, according to his conscience.
8. Who has George Black Bull killed?
(a) Frank Spotted Dog.
(b) Frank Rainwater.
(c) Frank No Deer.
(d) Frank Live Deer.
9. Tom Black Bull is taken to his new dormitory room to get what?
(a) White man's food.
(b) Pencils and paper.
(c) White man's clothes.
(d) A Holy Bible.
10. When Tom Black Bull grabs the saddle to steady himself on one bronco, he is chewed out for not riding what?
11. The spring after they are run out of Felice, where do Tom Black Bull and his teacher work?
(a) Southwestern Kansas and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(b) Eastern New Mexico and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(c) Northern Texas and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(d) Southern Colorado.
12. The Mexican ex-bronco rider that now cooks is correct when he says what?
(a) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, the horse wins, and Tom wins.
(b) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, the horse wins, but Tom does not win.
(c) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, Tom wins, but the horse does not win.
(d) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, but the horse and Tom do not win.
13. What does the gold prospector do the morning after Bear's Brother spies him along the stream?
(a) He shoots the she-bear and a cub.
(b) He traps one of the cubs.
(c) He shoots the she-bear and traps a cub.
(d) He shoots one of the bear cubs.
14. What does Tom Black Bull do when Benny Grayback locks him in a room?
(a) He chants.
(b) He escapes using his ax, but is found.
(c) He picks the lock open, but is stopped.
(d) He climbs out a window, but is caught.
15. When his plowing fails, Tom Black Bull is next set to task as what?
(a) A coop boy with the chickens.
(b) A shepherd boy with the sheep.
(c) A herd boy with the goats.
(d) A herd boy with the cows.
Short Answer Questions
1. While en route to rendezvous with her husband, Bessie Black Bull and her son bathe in a ritual cleansing while singing what?
2. Why do Tom Black Bull and his teacher bother to make the four-day ride just for the rodeo at Bernalillo?
3. The wild bronco is a symbol of Tom Black Bull's what?
4. What does the bear cub that Tom Black Bull takes care of represent?
5. What does the introductory poem summarize?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)