|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bessie Black Bull relieved about upon her return to the mountains following her second trip to Jim Thatcher's store?
(a) Bear's Brother will be going to the white man's school.
(b) Her son will be going to the white man's school.
(c) The problem concerning Frank No Deer is resolved.
(d) She and her son can return to the Southern Ute reservation.
2. How do Tom Black Bull and his teacher later force a Mexican shepherd to make them food?
(a) At gunpoint.
(b) Under threat of clubbing.
(c) Under threat of punching.
(d) At knifepoint.
3. How does Blue Elk trick Tom Black Bull into agreeing to go to the agency school?
(a) Believing the townsfolk will hunt his cub bear unless he does.
(b) Believing he needs to teach his people.
(c) Believing the 'old ways' are dead.
(d) Believing he needs to learn the white man's ways.
4. Who does Tom Black Bull share a room with in the dormitory?
(a) Frank No Deer.
(b) Luther Spotted Dog.
(c) Albert Left Hand.
5. When Tom Black Bull realizes he has been betrayed by Blue Elk, what does he fight for?
(a) The duration of his pride.
(b) The endurance of his spirit and frustration.
(c) The life of his spirit and freedom.
(d) His anger and frustration.
6. Where do Bessie Black Bull and her son wait for two days to ensure that no one follows them en route to their rendezvous with her husband?
(a) The foot of Grizzly Mountain.
(b) The foot of Horse Mountain.
(c) The foot of Bald Mountain.
(d) The foot of Granite Peak.
7. What happens with George Black Bull's body?
(a) Animals eat it.
(b) It is never found.
(c) The sheriff has it buried in the commoner's cemetery.
(d) Bessie and Tom bury it in the 'old way'.
8. Upon returning to his mountain, what does Tom Black Bull learn?
(a) He has lost much of his 'old ways' knowledge.
(b) His spirit is becoming polluted.
(c) He still remembers the songs of his spirit.
(d) His spirit remains pure.
9. While en route to rendezvous with her husband, Bessie Black Bull and her son bathe in a ritual cleansing while singing what?
(a) A song for clean souls.
(b) A song for rain.
(c) A song to the sunset.
(d) A song to the sun rising.
10. Tom Black Bull is given a single room at whose suggestion?
(a) Benny Grayback.
(b) Charley Huckleberry.
(c) Dolly Beaverfoot.
(d) Rowena Ellis.
11. The wild bronco is a symbol of Tom Black Bull's what?
(a) Spirit before being twisted by the white man.
(b) Love of nature before being twisted by the white man.
(c) Spirit after being twisted by the white man.
(d) Love of the outdoors before being twisted by the white man.
12. What does the bear cub that Tom Black Bull takes care of represent?
(a) Tom's communion with the wilderness.
(b) Tom's communion with nature.
(c) Tom's communion with his parents' spirits.
(d) Tom's 'old way' spirit.
13. What does Frank No Deer buy with the $15 he steals?
(b) A new suit.
(c) A plow.
14. Upon Bessie Black Bull's second trip to trade baskets at Jim Thatcher's store, what does she get?
(a) Wool material and a coat with a zipper.
(b) Wool cloth and a coat with carved antler buttons.
(c) Calico cloth and a coat with wooden buttons.
(d) Calico material and a coat with brass buttons.
15. How many days away from the agency school does Blue Elk take Tom Black Bull and the bear cub?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Tom Black Bull punished when he fights other boys?
2. Tom Black Bull and his teacher are run out of Felice with the latter shirtless, so he leaves what on a clothesline they pass?
3. The Mexican ex-bronco rider knows that by Tom Black Bull giving in to his violence, he will become what?
4. Blue Elk sees Bessie Black Bull leaving the store on her second trip and steals what from her?
5. The circle the stars make is juxtaposed to the squareness of what?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)