|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bessie's response to the situation her man has gotten into?
(a) She understands an unspoken truth - George acted justly, according to his conscience.
(b) She chastises her husband - he has gotten his family into deep trouble.
(c) She collects her son and departs - George acted foolishly, in anger.
(d) She questions George - what has he done to be chased by the white man.
2. What is the name of the Mexican ex-bronco rider who now cooks at Tom Black Bull's new residence?
3. How is George Black Bull killed?
(a) He drowns.
(b) In an avalanche.
(c) Shot by the sheriff.
(d) Strangled by Blue Elk.
4. What sort of lodge does George Black Bull build when snow begins to show in the mountains?
(a) Peaked like the mountain caps.
(b) A conical teepee made of animal skins.
(c) Round like the sun and path of the stars.
(d) In a cave behind brush and stones.
5. The last time Tom Black Bull returns to the hotel to find his instructor asleep and drunk again, he does what?
(a) Takes all but $10 from his pocket.
(b) Takes all but $5 from his pocket.
(c) Takes all but $15 from his pocket.
(d) Takes all but $20 from his pocket.
6. What does Jim Thatcher tell Bessie Black Bull regarding Blue Elk following her encounter with the Indian women who initially tease her?
(a) He had nothing to do with settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(b) He was partly responsible for settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(c) He was totally responsible for settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(d) He was responsible for stealing from Jim Thatcher's store.
7. Why has Tom Black Bull taken well to caring for the sheep?
(a) It is a part of his nature.
(b) The pigs are always groveling in mud.
(c) The goats wander too far.
(d) It is not as much work as horses.
8. Tom Black Bull is taken to his new dormitory room to get what?
(a) White man's food.
(b) Pencils and paper.
(c) White man's clothes.
(d) A Holy Bible.
9. Two white men exit a saloon and offer Tom Black Bull how much to ride 'his horse' at the end of town?
(a) A dime.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) A quarter.
(d) Two dollars.
10. What does the introductory poem summarize?
(a) The tragedy of the demise of the American Wild West.
(b) The demise of some, but not all, American Indian tribes.
(c) The tragedy of the demise of American Indian legends.
(d) The pathos of the demise of the American Indian way.
11. In what way is the gold prospector injured?
(a) Bleeding profusely from his leg.
(b) A twisted ankle.
(c) Bleeding profusely from his arm.
(d) A fractured leg bone.
12. What differs between horses that Tom Black Bull rode on the sagebrush range and those that he rides on the new spread?
(a) Essentially no difference.
(b) Indian ponies were heftier.
(c) Indian horses were bigger.
(d) Indian ponies were smaller.
13. How many baskets does Bessie Black Bull trade for an ax, ammunition, a hunting knife, and candy at Jim Thatcher's store?
14. After two years, George and Bessie Black Bull are in debt for how much to the white man?
15. What is Bessie Black Bull relieved about upon her return to the mountains following her second trip to Jim Thatcher's store?
(a) Her son will be going to the white man's school.
(b) Bear's Brother will be going to the white man's school.
(c) She and her son can return to the Southern Ute reservation.
(d) The problem concerning Frank No Deer is resolved.
Short Answer Questions
1. Having begun to reevaluate his life, Tom Black Bull returns to the hotel and refuses to comply with orders to do what?
2. Who does Tom Black Bull join with to become a bronco rider?
3. After Tom Black Bull escapes the school, what old Indian tracker is sent with Benny Grayback to find him?
4. When Tom Black Bull escapes from the school, what happens?
5. Whom does Tom Black Bull assist with the sheep?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)