|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of lodge does George Black Bull build when snow begins to show in the mountains?
(a) In a cave behind brush and stones.
(b) Round like the sun and path of the stars.
(c) Peaked like the mountain caps.
(d) A conical teepee made of animal skins.
2. What does Red Dillon represent?
(a) The helpful capability of the white man.
(b) The commercial ability of the white man.
(c) The protective nature of the white rancher.
(d) The twisted spirit of the white man.
3. The main character, a Ute boy, first learns the Indian legends, keeps them alive, and then lives with white men. What happens to him, ultimately?
(a) His 'old ways are integrated with his new life.
(b) The 'old ways' are driven from his life.
(c) The white man's ways gradually fade the 'old ways' from memory.
(d) He absorbs the white man's ways, and forever forgets the 'old ways'.
4. How is George Black Bull killed?
(a) Shot by the sheriff.
(b) In an avalanche.
(c) He drowns.
(d) Strangled by Blue Elk.
5. Blue Elk tracks Bear's Brother to his mountain lodge, and upon looking around is reminded of whom?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His woman.
(d) His father.
6. What does Tom Black Bull do when Benny Grayback locks him in a room?
(a) He chants.
(b) He picks the lock open, but is stopped.
(c) He climbs out a window, but is caught.
(d) He escapes using his ax, but is found.
7. The Mexican ex-bronco rider that now cooks is correct when he says what?
(a) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, the horse wins, but Tom does not win.
(b) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, but the horse and Tom do not win.
(c) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, Tom wins, but the horse does not win.
(d) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, the horse wins, and Tom wins.
8. What does the bear cub that Tom Black Bull takes care of represent?
(a) Tom's communion with his parents' spirits.
(b) Tom's 'old way' spirit.
(c) Tom's communion with the wilderness.
(d) Tom's communion with nature.
9. After Tom Black Bull escapes the school, what old Indian tracker is sent with Benny Grayback to find him?
(a) Eagle Eye.
(b) Night Owl.
10. Whom does Tom Black Bull assist with the sheep?
(a) Charley Huckleberry.
(b) Benny Grayback.
(c) Ed Porter.
(d) Albert Left Hand.
11. In regards to Blue Elk being willing to sell his own grandmother, what is his reply?
(a) She teaches at a different reservation.
(b) He never knew her.
(c) She works in a town over the mountains.
(d) She is dead.
12. How long following his punishment does Tom Black Bull escape the school?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 3 days.
13. What does Tom Black Bull do to relieve his anger when Red Dillon enters him into rodeo bronco riding competitions to cheat?
(a) Vents it in every legal way he can.
(b) Vents it in any way he can.
(c) Quits riding altogether.
(d) Vents it in every illegal way he can.
14. The wild bronco is a symbol of Tom Black Bull's what?
(a) Love of the outdoors before being twisted by the white man.
(b) Spirit after being twisted by the white man.
(c) Spirit before being twisted by the white man.
(d) Love of nature before being twisted by the white man.
15. Who does Tom Black Bull share a room with in the dormitory?
(b) Albert Left Hand.
(c) Frank No Deer.
(d) Luther Spotted Dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black Bull and his teacher are run out of Felice with the latter shirtless, so he leaves what on a clothesline they pass?
2. What is George Bull's demeanor when he arrives at the house following the fight?
3. When Tom Black Bull escapes from the school, what happens?
4. When Jim Thatcher tells Bessie Black Bull that Frank No Deer's death was self-defense, what does she do?
5. When Tom Black Bull realizes he has been betrayed by Blue Elk, what does he fight for?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)