|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The wild bronco is a symbol of Tom Black Bull's what?
(a) Love of the outdoors before being twisted by the white man.
(b) Love of nature before being twisted by the white man.
(c) Spirit after being twisted by the white man.
(d) Spirit before being twisted by the white man.
2. Upon returning to his mountain, what does Tom Black Bull learn?
(a) His spirit is becoming polluted.
(b) His spirit remains pure.
(c) He has lost much of his 'old ways' knowledge.
(d) He still remembers the songs of his spirit.
3. What is it that Tom Black Bull admires for sale in a store window when he arrives in Bayfield with Albert Left Hand?
(a) A saddle.
(b) A jacket with brass buttons.
(c) A horse blanket.
(d) A rifle.
4. What does Jim Thatcher tell Bessie Black Bull regarding Blue Elk following her encounter with the Indian women who initially tease her?
(a) He was responsible for stealing from Jim Thatcher's store.
(b) He was totally responsible for settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(c) He had nothing to do with settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(d) He was partly responsible for settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
5. Tom Black Bull emerges a new man after purchasing new clothing and going to the barber, and draws the attention of whom?
(a) A new instructor.
(b) A waitress.
(c) A store clerk.
(d) A cafe cook.
6. How many baskets does Bessie Black Bull trade for an ax, ammunition, a hunting knife, and candy at Jim Thatcher's store?
7. What is Bessie's response to the situation her man has gotten into?
(a) She understands an unspoken truth - George acted justly, according to his conscience.
(b) She chastises her husband - he has gotten his family into deep trouble.
(c) She questions George - what has he done to be chased by the white man.
(d) She collects her son and departs - George acted foolishly, in anger.
8. In what way is the gold prospector injured?
(a) A fractured leg bone.
(b) Bleeding profusely from his arm.
(c) A twisted ankle.
(d) Bleeding profusely from his leg.
9. How do Tom Black Bull and his teacher later force a Mexican shepherd to make them food?
(a) Under threat of punching.
(b) Under threat of clubbing.
(c) At knifepoint.
(d) At gunpoint.
10. What happens with George Black Bull's body?
(a) Bessie and Tom bury it in the 'old way'.
(b) Animals eat it.
(c) The sheriff has it buried in the commoner's cemetery.
(d) It is never found.
11. What is Blue Elk impressed to learn about Tom Black Bull?
(a) He knows how to sing in the 'old ways' alone.
(b) He knows the 'old ways' have no end.
(c) He brings the 'old way' out of Blue Elk by singing.
(d) He has lived alone in the 'old ways' for two years.
12. Who is called to interpret for Tom Black Bull because he speaks only Ute?
(a) Albert Left Hand.
(b) Blue Elk.
(c) Charles Huckleberry.
(d) Benny Grayback.
13. Blue Elk talks Tom Black Bull into doing what with the bear cub?
(a) Releasing him in the mountain.
(b) Chaining him in a corral.
(c) Selling him to Blue Elk.
(d) Selling him to Jim Thatcher.
14. What is Bessie Black Bull relieved about upon her return to the mountains following her second trip to Jim Thatcher's store?
(a) Bear's Brother will be going to the white man's school.
(b) The problem concerning Frank No Deer is resolved.
(c) She and her son can return to the Southern Ute reservation.
(d) Her son will be going to the white man's school.
15. Tom Black Bull is taken to his new dormitory room to get what?
(a) White man's food.
(b) A Holy Bible.
(c) Pencils and paper.
(d) White man's clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bessie and Tom Black Bull gather willow shoots and other plants for?
2. Why do Tom Black Bull and his teacher bother to make the four-day ride just for the rodeo at Bernalillo?
3. When Tom Black Bull grabs the saddle to steady himself on one bronco, he is chewed out for not riding what?
4. Blue Elk tracks Bear's Brother to his mountain lodge, and upon looking around is reminded of whom?
5. What is the white man's idea of how the Utes should live?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)