|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Bessie and Tom Black Bull gather willow shoots and other plants for?
(a) Lodge mats.
(b) Winter fires.
(c) Lodge insulation.
(d) Winter basketry.
2. How does Blue Elk trick Tom Black Bull into agreeing to go to the agency school?
(a) Believing he needs to teach his people.
(b) Believing the 'old ways' are dead.
(c) Believing he needs to learn the white man's ways.
(d) Believing the townsfolk will hunt his cub bear unless he does.
3. The wild bronco is a symbol of Tom Black Bull's what?
(a) Love of nature before being twisted by the white man.
(b) Spirit before being twisted by the white man.
(c) Love of the outdoors before being twisted by the white man.
(d) Spirit after being twisted by the white man.
4. The other students tease Tom Black Bull about his basket weaving skill and call him what?
(b) Bear's Sister.
(c) Basket Woman.
(d) Baby Bear.
5. What is the white man's idea of how the Utes should live?
(a) Hunting and fishing.
(b) Raising chickens and turkeys.
(c) Farming corn.
(d) Raising hogs.
6. The spring after they are run out of Felice, where do Tom Black Bull and his teacher work?
(a) Northern Texas and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(b) Southern Colorado.
(c) Eastern New Mexico and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(d) Southwestern Kansas and the Oklahoma panhandle.
7. The Mexican ex-bronco rider knows that by Tom Black Bull giving in to his violence, he will become what?
(a) More like what he hates.
(b) Nothing like what he wants.
(c) Less comfortable on horses.
(d) More like what he wants.
8. Upon Bessie Black Bull's second trip to trade baskets at Jim Thatcher's store, what does she get?
(a) Calico cloth and a coat with wooden buttons.
(b) Calico material and a coat with brass buttons.
(c) Wool material and a coat with a zipper.
(d) Wool cloth and a coat with carved antler buttons.
9. In what way is the gold prospector injured?
(a) A twisted ankle.
(b) Bleeding profusely from his leg.
(c) Bleeding profusely from his arm.
(d) A fractured leg bone.
10. What does Tom Black Bull do when Benny Grayback locks him in a room?
(a) He escapes using his ax, but is found.
(b) He picks the lock open, but is stopped.
(c) He chants.
(d) He climbs out a window, but is caught.
11. Twisted in spirit by first learning as a boy, then in young adulthood trying to kill memories and old influences, what happens to Tom?
(a) He builds his own false legends as he goes.
(b) False legends arise, but he is able to remain focused.
(c) He makes the transition integrating the legends.
(d) He makes the trek without building any legends.
12. What do George and Bessie Black Bull opt for when the white man's method of support fails?
(a) Smoking venison and fish they do not eat.
(b) Smoking sheep and fish they do not eat.
(c) Smoking cattle and fish they do not eat.
(d) Smoking coyotes and fish they do not eat.
13. How do Tom Black Bull and his teacher later force a Mexican shepherd to make them food?
(a) At gunpoint.
(b) Under threat of punching.
(c) At knifepoint.
(d) Under threat of clubbing.
14. In addition to warmth, why does Bessie Black Bull give her son a red blanket?
(a) Red is the color for protection.
(b) Red is the color for honor.
(c) Red is the color for courage.
(d) Red is the color for trust.
15. Tom Black Bull tells Benny Grayback that he will agree to acclimate under what condition?
(a) If he can eat Indian meals.
(b) If he can visit his parents' graves.
(c) If they will let his brother, Bear, free.
(d) If he can retrieve items from his lodge.
Short Answer Questions
1. The circle the stars make is juxtaposed to the squareness of what?
2. Having begun to reevaluate his life, Tom Black Bull returns to the hotel and refuses to comply with orders to do what?
3. Why does Tom Black Bull believe it is foolish to be a farmer?
4. When Tom Black Bull is entered in the first rodeo in Aztec, what is he instructed to do?
5. Who is called to interpret for Tom Black Bull because he speaks only Ute?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)