|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While en route to rendezvous with her husband, Bessie Black Bull and her son bathe in a ritual cleansing while singing what?
(a) A song for clean souls.
(b) A song to the sun rising.
(c) A song for rain.
(d) A song to the sunset.
2. What differs between horses that Tom Black Bull rode on the sagebrush range and those that he rides on the new spread?
(a) Indian ponies were heftier.
(b) Essentially no difference.
(c) Indian ponies were smaller.
(d) Indian horses were bigger.
3. What is George Bull's demeanor when he arrives at the house following the fight?
(a) Frantic and upset.
(b) Calm and controlled.
(c) Nervous, but in control.
(d) Worried and in fear.
4. Upon returning to the school, to what task is Tom Black Bull assigned at the Cobbler's Shop?
(a) Making quirts and bridles.
(b) Making belts and suspenders.
(c) Making leashes and harnesses.
(d) Making shoes and belts.
5. In what way is the gold prospector injured?
(a) A fractured leg bone.
(b) A twisted ankle.
(c) Bleeding profusely from his arm.
(d) Bleeding profusely from his leg.
6. Tom Black Bull tells Benny Grayback that he will agree to acclimate under what condition?
(a) If they will let his brother, Bear, free.
(b) If he can visit his parents' graves.
(c) If he can eat Indian meals.
(d) If he can retrieve items from his lodge.
7. When the first frost arrives, Bessie examines the pine nuts, acorns, and fish they have and decides what?
(a) They needed to find additional food.
(b) This is the way it should be.
(c) It was better with the corn grown in the fields.
(d) The white man's supplies were better.
8. The other students tease Tom Black Bull about his basket weaving skill and call him what?
(a) Baby Bear.
(b) Bear's Sister.
(c) Basket Woman.
9. Blue Elk sees Bessie Black Bull leaving the store on her second trip and steals what from her?
(a) All but her clothing.
(b) All but the red coat for Tom.
(c) All but the blue coat for Tom.
(d) All but a small basket.
10. Upon returning to his mountain, what does Tom Black Bull learn?
(a) He has lost much of his 'old ways' knowledge.
(b) His spirit is becoming polluted.
(c) He still remembers the songs of his spirit.
(d) His spirit remains pure.
11. When late March arrives, Tom Black Bull knows the time has come for what?
(a) The Bear Dance.
(b) The Bear Mating.
(c) The Bear Growling.
(d) The Bear Song.
12. Two white men exit a saloon and offer Tom Black Bull how much to ride 'his horse' at the end of town?
(a) A dime.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) A quarter.
(d) Fifty cents.
13. How many days away from the agency school does Blue Elk take Tom Black Bull and the bear cub?
14. Who has George Black Bull killed?
(a) Frank Spotted Dog.
(b) Frank Live Deer.
(c) Frank No Deer.
(d) Frank Rainwater.
15. When his plowing fails, Tom Black Bull is next set to task as what?
(a) A coop boy with the chickens.
(b) A herd boy with the goats.
(c) A herd boy with the cows.
(d) A shepherd boy with the sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is it that tracks the few Utes who have left the reservation to their camp?
2. Blue Elk talks Tom Black Bull into doing what with the bear cub?
3. Why do Tom Black Bull and his teacher bother to make the four-day ride just for the rodeo at Bernalillo?
4. What does Jim Thatcher tell Bessie Black Bull regarding Blue Elk following her encounter with the Indian women who initially tease her?
5. What is Bessie Black Bull relieved about upon her return to the mountains following her second trip to Jim Thatcher's store?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)