|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim Thatcher tell Bessie Black Bull regarding Blue Elk following her encounter with the Indian women who initially tease her?
(a) He was partly responsible for settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(b) He was totally responsible for settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(c) He had nothing to do with settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(d) He was responsible for stealing from Jim Thatcher's store.
2. What does Tom Black Bull do when Benny Grayback locks him in a room?
(a) He escapes using his ax, but is found.
(b) He climbs out a window, but is caught.
(c) He chants.
(d) He picks the lock open, but is stopped.
3. After two years, George and Bessie Black Bull are in debt for how much to the white man?
4. George and Bessie Black Bull are compelled to work where for the white man?
(a) The sheep ranch.
(b) The steelmill.
(c) The sawmill.
(d) The cattle ranch.
5. The spring after they are run out of Felice, where do Tom Black Bull and his teacher work?
(a) Southwestern Kansas and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(b) Northern Texas and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(c) Southern Colorado.
(d) Eastern New Mexico and the Oklahoma panhandle.
6. When late March arrives, Tom Black Bull knows the time has come for what?
(a) The Bear Mating.
(b) The Bear Song.
(c) The Bear Growling.
(d) The Bear Dance.
7. Blue Elk sees Bessie Black Bull leaving the store on her second trip and steals what from her?
(a) All but her clothing.
(b) All but a small basket.
(c) All but the red coat for Tom.
(d) All but the blue coat for Tom.
8. How is Tom Black Bull punished when he fights other boys?
(a) He is forced to make more baskets.
(b) He is flogged.
(c) He is made to stay out in the cold.
(d) He is forced to stand in a corner.
9. The other students tease Tom Black Bull about his basket weaving skill and call him what?
(b) Basket Woman.
(c) Bear's Sister.
(d) Baby Bear.
10. How is George Black Bull killed?
(a) In an avalanche.
(b) Shot by the sheriff.
(c) Strangled by Blue Elk.
(d) He drowns.
11. When Tom Black Bull realizes he has been betrayed by Blue Elk, what does he fight for?
(a) The endurance of his spirit and frustration.
(b) The duration of his pride.
(c) His anger and frustration.
(d) The life of his spirit and freedom.
12. When Tom Black Bull grabs the saddle to steady himself on one bronco, he is chewed out for not riding what?
13. When Tom Black Bull lets some animals get ill eating green corn, he is put back in the barn for how long before he goes to the horses?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 3 weeks.
14. What do Bessie and Tom Black Bull gather willow shoots and other plants for?
(a) Lodge insulation.
(b) Lodge mats.
(c) Winter basketry.
(d) Winter fires.
15. When Bessie Black Bull goes back to town a third time, what does she trade with Indian women in exchange for information about Blue Elk?
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black Bull's parents teach him the methods of building lodges, preparing food for winter, and what else?
2. Upon Bessie Black Bull's second trip to trade baskets at Jim Thatcher's store, what does she get?
3. The circle the stars make is juxtaposed to the squareness of what?
4. Tom Black Bull is taken to his new dormitory room to get what?
5. Tom Black Bull's ego and sense of adventure are fed by what as he assesses himself west of Corpus Christi?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)