|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Blue Elk trick Tom Black Bull into agreeing to go to the agency school?
(a) Believing the 'old ways' are dead.
(b) Believing he needs to teach his people.
(c) Believing the townsfolk will hunt his cub bear unless he does.
(d) Believing he needs to learn the white man's ways.
2. What do Bessie and Tom Black Bull gather willow shoots and other plants for?
(a) Lodge mats.
(b) Winter fires.
(c) Winter basketry.
(d) Lodge insulation.
3. While en route to rendezvous with her husband, Bessie Black Bull and her son bathe in a ritual cleansing while singing what?
(a) A song to the sunset.
(b) A song to the sun rising.
(c) A song for clean souls.
(d) A song for rain.
4. How is Tom Black Bull punished when he fights other boys?
(a) He is forced to stand in a corner.
(b) He is made to stay out in the cold.
(c) He is forced to make more baskets.
(d) He is flogged.
5. In addition to assisting ewes and lambs through the difficulty of birth, Tom Black Bull helps protect against what?
6. Upon Bessie Black Bull's second trip to trade baskets at Jim Thatcher's store, what does she get?
(a) Calico cloth and a coat with wooden buttons.
(b) Wool material and a coat with a zipper.
(c) Calico material and a coat with brass buttons.
(d) Wool cloth and a coat with carved antler buttons.
7. Tom Black Bull and his teacher are run out of Felice with the latter shirtless, so he leaves what on a clothesline they pass?
(a) A $5 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(b) A $10 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(c) A $1 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(d) A $2 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
8. How does Tom Black Bull share part of his deer kill?
(a) With Jim Thatcher.
(b) With the sheriff.
(c) With a bear.
(d) With Blue Elk.
9. Blue Elk talks Tom Black Bull into doing what with the bear cub?
(a) Selling him to Jim Thatcher.
(b) Selling him to Blue Elk.
(c) Releasing him in the mountain.
(d) Chaining him in a corral.
10. What is it that Tom Black Bull admires for sale in a store window when he arrives in Bayfield with Albert Left Hand?
(a) A saddle.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A jacket with brass buttons.
(d) A horse blanket.
11. When Tom Black Bull lets some animals get ill eating green corn, he is put back in the barn for how long before he goes to the horses?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 3 weeks.
12. The last time Tom Black Bull returns to the hotel to find his instructor asleep and drunk again, he does what?
(a) Takes all but $15 from his pocket.
(b) Takes all but $20 from his pocket.
(c) Takes all but $10 from his pocket.
(d) Takes all but $5 from his pocket.
13. Who does Tom Black Bull share a room with in the dormitory?
(a) Frank No Deer.
(b) Luther Spotted Dog.
(d) Albert Left Hand.
14. George and Bessie Black Bull are compelled to work where for the white man?
(a) The cattle ranch.
(b) The sawmill.
(c) The steelmill.
(d) The sheep ranch.
15. What does Jim Thatcher tell Bessie Black Bull regarding Blue Elk following her encounter with the Indian women who initially tease her?
(a) He had nothing to do with settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(b) He was totally responsible for settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(c) He was partly responsible for settling the issue with Frank No Deer.
(d) He was responsible for stealing from Jim Thatcher's store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bessie Black Bull relieved about upon her return to the mountains following her second trip to Jim Thatcher's store?
2. After Tom Black Bull escapes the school, what old Indian tracker is sent with Benny Grayback to find him?
3. Who has George Black Bull killed?
4. Upon returning to the school, to what task is Tom Black Bull assigned at the Cobbler's Shop?
5. Tom Black Bull's parents teach him the methods of building lodges, preparing food for winter, and what else?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)