|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Twisted in spirit by first learning as a boy, then in young adulthood trying to kill memories and old influences, what happens to Tom?
(a) He makes the trek without building any legends.
(b) False legends arise, but he is able to remain focused.
(c) He builds his own false legends as he goes.
(d) He makes the transition integrating the legends.
2. How many baskets does Bessie Black Bull trade for an ax, ammunition, a hunting knife, and candy at Jim Thatcher's store?
3. When Tom Black Bull grabs the saddle to steady himself on one bronco, he is chewed out for not riding what?
4. What sort of lodge does George Black Bull build when snow begins to show in the mountains?
(a) Peaked like the mountain caps.
(b) Round like the sun and path of the stars.
(c) A conical teepee made of animal skins.
(d) In a cave behind brush and stones.
5. Where do Bessie Black Bull and her son wait for two days to ensure that no one follows them en route to their rendezvous with her husband?
(a) The foot of Grizzly Mountain.
(b) The foot of Granite Peak.
(c) The foot of Bald Mountain.
(d) The foot of Horse Mountain.
6. Having begun to reevaluate his life, Tom Black Bull returns to the hotel and refuses to comply with orders to do what?
(a) Ride in the next rodeo.
(b) Prepare for the next con.
(c) Return to his instructor's spread.
(d) Take care of the horses.
7. When late March arrives, Tom Black Bull knows the time has come for what?
(a) The Bear Mating.
(b) The Bear Growling.
(c) The Bear Dance.
(d) The Bear Song.
8. After two years, George and Bessie Black Bull are in debt for how much to the white man?
9. The Mexican ex-bronco rider that now cooks is correct when he says what?
(a) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, the horse wins, and Tom wins.
(b) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, Tom wins, but the horse does not win.
(c) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, the horse wins, but Tom does not win.
(d) Tom Black Bull's instructor wins, but the horse and Tom do not win.
10. What does Blue Elk arrange with the agent regarding Tom Black Bull and the bear cub?
(a) To kill the cub and release Tom on the mountain.
(b) To kill the cub with his bow and an arrow, and tell Tom he released it.
(c) To accompany them to the mountain, release the cub, and bring Tom back.
(d) To accompany both to his lodge and release them there.
11. Tom Black Bull is given a single room at whose suggestion?
(a) Dolly Beaverfoot.
(b) Rowena Ellis.
(c) Benny Grayback.
(d) Charley Huckleberry.
12. Tom Black Bull and his teacher are run out of Felice with the latter shirtless, so he leaves what on a clothesline they pass?
(a) A $2 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(b) A $10 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(c) A $5 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(d) A $1 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
13. How is Tom Black Bull punished when he fights other boys?
(a) He is flogged.
(b) He is forced to stand in a corner.
(c) He is made to stay out in the cold.
(d) He is forced to make more baskets.
14. Blue Elk sees Bessie Black Bull leaving the store on her second trip and steals what from her?
(a) All but a small basket.
(b) All but the blue coat for Tom.
(c) All but her clothing.
(d) All but the red coat for Tom.
15. In addition to assisting ewes and lambs through the difficulty of birth, Tom Black Bull helps protect against what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to warmth, why does Bessie Black Bull give her son a red blanket?
2. Upon returning to his mountain, what does Tom Black Bull learn?
3. What is it that Tom Black Bull admires for sale in a store window when he arrives in Bayfield with Albert Left Hand?
4. The last time Tom Black Bull returns to the hotel to find his instructor asleep and drunk again, he does what?
5. How does Blue Elk trick Tom Black Bull into agreeing to go to the agency school?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)