|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Tom Black Bull and his teacher later force a Mexican shepherd to make them food?
(a) At gunpoint.
(b) Under threat of clubbing.
(c) At knifepoint.
(d) Under threat of punching.
2. What does Tom Black Bull do to relieve his anger when Red Dillon enters him into rodeo bronco riding competitions to cheat?
(a) Vents it in any way he can.
(b) Vents it in every illegal way he can.
(c) Quits riding altogether.
(d) Vents it in every legal way he can.
3. The spring after they are run out of Felice, where do Tom Black Bull and his teacher work?
(a) Eastern New Mexico and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(b) Southern Colorado.
(c) Southwestern Kansas and the Oklahoma panhandle.
(d) Northern Texas and the Oklahoma panhandle.
4. Blue Elk knows that life based on the 'old ways' contrasts starkly with how he lives and is what?
(a) Inferior to his lifestyle.
(b) Comparable to his lifestyle.
(c) Superior to his lifestyle.
(d) Identical to his lifestyle.
5. When Tom Black Bull lets some animals get ill eating green corn, he is put back in the barn for how long before he goes to the horses?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 1 month.
6. What does Red Dillon represent?
(a) The commercial ability of the white man.
(b) The helpful capability of the white man.
(c) The twisted spirit of the white man.
(d) The protective nature of the white rancher.
7. Tom Black Bull and his teacher are run out of Felice with the latter shirtless, so he leaves what on a clothesline they pass?
(a) A $10 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(b) A $1 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(c) A $2 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
(d) A $5 bill in exchange for a shirt he takes.
8. Who recognizes that Tom Black Bull and his pet bear are no threat when they arrive in town one July, and manages to calm the townsfolk?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Blue Elk.
(c) Jim Thatcher.
(d) Benny Grayback.
9. Twisted in spirit by first learning as a boy, then in young adulthood trying to kill memories and old influences, what happens to Tom?
(a) He builds his own false legends as he goes.
(b) He makes the transition integrating the legends.
(c) False legends arise, but he is able to remain focused.
(d) He makes the trek without building any legends.
10. Where do Bessie Black Bull and her son wait for two days to ensure that no one follows them en route to their rendezvous with her husband?
(a) The foot of Bald Mountain.
(b) The foot of Granite Peak.
(c) The foot of Horse Mountain.
(d) The foot of Grizzly Mountain.
11. What is it that Tom Black Bull admires for sale in a store window when he arrives in Bayfield with Albert Left Hand?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A horse blanket.
(c) A jacket with brass buttons.
(d) A saddle.
12. What is Blue Elk impressed to learn about Tom Black Bull?
(a) He knows the 'old ways' have no end.
(b) He has lived alone in the 'old ways' for two years.
(c) He knows how to sing in the 'old ways' alone.
(d) He brings the 'old way' out of Blue Elk by singing.
13. When late March arrives, Tom Black Bull knows the time has come for what?
(a) The Bear Dance.
(b) The Bear Growling.
(c) The Bear Song.
(d) The Bear Mating.
14. What sort of lodge does George Black Bull build when snow begins to show in the mountains?
(a) In a cave behind brush and stones.
(b) Round like the sun and path of the stars.
(c) A conical teepee made of animal skins.
(d) Peaked like the mountain caps.
15. How is Tom Black Bull punished when he fights other boys?
(a) He is forced to make more baskets.
(b) He is forced to stand in a corner.
(c) He is made to stay out in the cold.
(d) He is flogged.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Black Bull's parents teach him the methods of building lodges, preparing food for winter, and what else?
2. Tom Black Bull tells Benny Grayback that he will agree to acclimate under what condition?
3. How does Tom Black Bull share part of his deer kill?
4. What does Jim Thatcher tell Bessie Black Bull regarding Blue Elk following her encounter with the Indian women who initially tease her?
5. The Mexican ex-bronco rider knows that by Tom Black Bull giving in to his violence, he will become what?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)