|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last letter Wayne sent, what does he warn the boys?
2. What does Toby realize in Chapter 19 that he needs to tell Cal?
3. Who seeks advice from Toby at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. What is Toby's religion?
5. What day of the week begins Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Toby's dad say he left Dallas?
2. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
3. Why is Toby working in the bowling alley the day after the funeral?
4. What was Juan's real reason for canceling his important date with Scarlett and why didn't he just tell her the truth?
5. How does Kate become involved with Zachary after driving the boys to the movie?
6. Toby realizes why Zachary has never been baptized like he promised his mother he would be. What is the reason?
7. How do Cal, Toby and Kate protect Zachary from jeers at the movie?
8. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
9. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
10. What stereotype does Toby realize he has held regarding Juan and what does he realize is the truth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is tone? What was Toby's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's writing experience and her successes of this book and others.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Kate to the story? How might the novel had differed if she had not been introduced as a minor character?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)