|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Toby blindfold and give a ride on his bike?
2. Which character is not at the ladybug event?
3. Where do Toby and his father go for their Chapter 19 outing?
4. Who throws an apple at Toby?
5. Why did Toby go with Cal and Kate to the train depot?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what two reasons does Toby take the piece of jewelry from his mother's room?
2. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
3. Why is Zachary unhappy when he first learns of the baptism plans?
4. Why is Toby working in the bowling alley the day after the funeral?
5. Describe the Ladybug Waltz.
6. What stereotype does Toby realize he has held regarding Juan and what does he realize is the truth?
7. What was Juan's real reason for canceling his important date with Scarlett and why didn't he just tell her the truth?
8. What good news does Zachary receive after his baptism?
9. Why won't Toby talk to Cal after his brother dies?
10. Why is Toby so mad at his father when they deliver bait on Saturday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is tone? What was Toby's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Toby and Cal. Which is a major character? Which is a minor character? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Is there another genre the novel might also be classified as? Support your answers.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)