|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Toby race to Scarlett's house in Chapter 15?
2. What does Zachary say that shows Toby he is lying about all his travels?
3. Who does Toby flatter by saying he is the strongest person Toby knows?
4. Why did Toby go with Cal and Kate to the train depot?
5. Why is Toby's father not speaking to him at the beginning of Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two reasons the boys decide to have Zachary baptized at the lake?
2. What good news does Zachary receive after his baptism?
3. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
4. How do Cal, Toby and Kate protect Zachary from jeers at the movie?
5. How do Cal and Toby talk Kate into helping them take Zachary to the movies?
6. How and when is the McKnight family notified of their son's death?
7. What are two good results from Cal riding his bike into the lake?
8. What steps does the minister tell Toby that must be taken to get baptized?
9. What is the rush in getting Zachary baptized?
10. Toby realizes why Zachary has never been baptized like he promised his mother he would be. What is the reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Is there another genre the novel might also be classified as? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character, Toby, and his growth throughout the novel.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)