|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Cal and Toby decide to take Zachary in Chapter 13?
2. What day of the week is the state supposed to pick up Zachary to take him to foster care?
3. Who gave custody of Zachary to Paulie?
4. What is Zachary's middle name?
5. During their father-son outing, what does Toby's father encourage him to do later that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't Toby talk to Cal after his brother dies?
2. What is the rush in getting Zachary baptized?
3. For what two reasons does Toby take the piece of jewelry from his mother's room?
4. Why is Zachary unhappy when he first learns of the baptism plans?
5. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
6. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
7. Describe the Ladybug Waltz.
8. What are the two reasons the boys decide to have Zachary baptized at the lake?
9. What stereotype does Toby realize he has held regarding Juan and what does he realize is the truth?
10. How does Kate become involved with Zachary after driving the boys to the movie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast best friends Toby and Cal in When Zachary Beaver Comes to Town.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss stereotypes present in the novel. How does Toby relate to or deal with the stereotypes?
Essay Topic 3
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)