|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kicks a crate of ladybugs?
2. Which famous golfer is admired throughout this book?
3. Who invites Toby and Cal to breakfast Monday morning after the ladybug release?
4. Why did Toby go with Cal and Kate to the train depot?
5. What day of the week begins Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and when is the McKnight family notified of their son's death?
2. What is the rush in getting Zachary baptized?
3. What are the two reasons the boys decide to have Zachary baptized at the lake?
4. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
5. What good news does Zachary receive after his baptism?
6. What stereotype does Toby realize he has held regarding Juan and what does he realize is the truth?
7. Why is Toby working in the bowling alley the day after the funeral?
8. Toby realizes why Zachary has never been baptized like he promised his mother he would be. What is the reason?
9. How do Cal, Toby and Kate protect Zachary from jeers at the movie?
10. What was Juan's real reason for canceling his important date with Scarlett and why didn't he just tell her the truth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Kate to the story? How might the novel had differed if she had not been introduced as a minor character?
Essay Topic 2
A protagonist has heroic qualities and an antagonist has villainous qualities. Discuss the protagonist in When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Discuss the antagonist. What is ironic about the story's antagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character, Toby, and his growth throughout the novel.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)