|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What night will Zachary be baptized?
2. What baptism requirements will keep Zachary from being baptized, according to Reverend Newton?
3. Who does Toby blindfold and give a ride on his bike?
4. What does Toby's dad make for breakfast at the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. What is Zachary's middle name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't Toby talk to Cal after his brother dies?
2. For what two reasons does Toby take the piece of jewelry from his mother's room?
3. What good news does Zachary receive after his baptism?
4. How do Cal, Toby and Kate protect Zachary from jeers at the movie?
5. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
6. How and when is the McKnight family notified of their son's death?
7. Why is Zachary unhappy when he first learns of the baptism plans?
8. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
9. Why is Toby working in the bowling alley the day after the funeral?
10. Why does Toby's dad say he left Dallas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character description of Toby and Cal. Which is a major character? Which is a minor character? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor characters.
Essay Topic 2
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
Essay Topic 3
A protagonist has heroic qualities and an antagonist has villainous qualities. Discuss the protagonist in When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Discuss the antagonist. What is ironic about the story's antagonist?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)