|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What night will Zachary be baptized?
2. What heirloom does Toby give Scarlett?
3. Who gave custody of Zachary to Paulie?
4. Who is in awe of the ladybug release?
5. How is Zachary transported to his baptism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zachary unhappy when he first learns of the baptism plans?
2. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
3. What are two good results from Cal riding his bike into the lake?
4. What was Juan's real reason for canceling his important date with Scarlett and why didn't he just tell her the truth?
5. How does Kate become involved with Zachary after driving the boys to the movie?
6. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
7. How do Cal and Toby talk Kate into helping them take Zachary to the movies?
8. What steps does the minister tell Toby that must be taken to get baptized?
9. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
10. How do Cal, Toby and Kate protect Zachary from jeers at the movie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the Grand Ole Opry and the Vietnam War to the theme of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
Essay Topic 3
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)