|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Toby rides with his dad in Chapter 12, what does he miss?
2. What night will Zachary be baptized?
3. What are the photographs Toby and Cal see at the end of Chapter 22?
4. What day of the week is the state supposed to pick up Zachary to take him to foster care?
5. What does Toby realize in Chapter 19 that he needs to tell Cal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Toby realizes why Zachary has never been baptized like he promised his mother he would be. What is the reason?
2. Why won't Toby talk to Cal after his brother dies?
3. What is the rush in getting Zachary baptized?
4. What are two good results from Cal riding his bike into the lake?
5. How does Kate become involved with Zachary after driving the boys to the movie?
6. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
7. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
8. How do Cal, Toby and Kate protect Zachary from jeers at the movie?
9. What stereotype does Toby realize he has held regarding Juan and what does he realize is the truth?
10. How do Cal and Toby talk Kate into helping them take Zachary to the movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of water throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
A protagonist has heroic qualities and an antagonist has villainous qualities. Discuss the protagonist in When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Discuss the antagonist. What is ironic about the story's antagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)