|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toby eat for breakfast at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. Who drives the boys to their destination in Chapter 13?
3. What outing do Toby and his father go on in Chapter 19?
4. Why doesn't Toby visit Cal in Chapter 16?
5. Where are Toby and his dad going in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what two reasons does Toby take the piece of jewelry from his mother's room?
2. What are two good results from Cal riding his bike into the lake?
3. How does Kate become involved with Zachary after driving the boys to the movie?
4. How do Cal and Toby talk Kate into helping them take Zachary to the movies?
5. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
6. Why is Toby working in the bowling alley the day after the funeral?
7. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
8. Describe the Ladybug Waltz.
9. How and when is the McKnight family notified of their son's death?
10. How do Cal, Toby and Kate protect Zachary from jeers at the movie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view from which the novel is written. Does this point of view make the story more or less believable? Select a different point of view and explain how this novel would have changed if written from it.
Essay Topic 2
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
Essay Topic 3
What is tone? What was Toby's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)