|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the sheriff waiting at Zachary's trailer?
2. Who gave custody of Zachary to Paulie?
3. What do the boys build to help Zachary get into the truck?
4. What is Toby's religion?
5. During their father-son outing, what does Toby's father encourage him to do later that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stereotype does Toby realize he has held regarding Juan and what does he realize is the truth?
2. What is the rush in getting Zachary baptized?
3. Why won't Toby talk to Cal after his brother dies?
4. What good news does Zachary receive after his baptism?
5. What are the two reasons the boys decide to have Zachary baptized at the lake?
6. For what two reasons does Toby take the piece of jewelry from his mother's room?
7. Why is Zachary unhappy when he first learns of the baptism plans?
8. Why is Toby working in the bowling alley the day after the funeral?
9. What was Juan's real reason for canceling his important date with Scarlett and why didn't he just tell her the truth?
10. Describe the Ladybug Waltz.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A protagonist has heroic qualities and an antagonist has villainous qualities. Discuss the protagonist in When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Discuss the antagonist. What is ironic about the story's antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view from which the novel is written. Does this point of view make the story more or less believable? Select a different point of view and explain how this novel would have changed if written from it.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of water throughout the novel.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)