|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Toby's father not speaking to him at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. Who does Toby hang up on in Chapter 16?
3. Who seeks advice from Toby at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. Whose idea is it at the end of Chapter 13 to get Zachary baptized?
5. What is Toby's religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stereotype does Toby realize he has held regarding Juan and what does he realize is the truth?
2. What was Juan's real reason for canceling his important date with Scarlett and why didn't he just tell her the truth?
3. What is the rush in getting Zachary baptized?
4. What good news does Zachary receive after his baptism?
5. Why is Zachary unhappy when he first learns of the baptism plans?
6. Toby realizes why Zachary has never been baptized like he promised his mother he would be. What is the reason?
7. How do Cal, Toby and Kate protect Zachary from jeers at the movie?
8. Why is Toby so mad at his father when they deliver bait on Saturday?
9. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
10. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Kate to the story? How might the novel had differed if she had not been introduced as a minor character?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)