|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Toby and Cal to breakfast Monday morning after the ladybug release?
2. What does Toby do with the letter he receives from his mother in Chapter 14?
3. Who is called the "nicest person in Antler" in Chapter 18?
4. What is the release of the ladybugs called?
5. Who seeks advice from Toby at the beginning of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rush in getting Zachary baptized?
2. Why is Zachary unhappy when he first learns of the baptism plans?
3. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
4. What steps does the minister tell Toby that must be taken to get baptized?
5. What good news does Zachary receive after his baptism?
6. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
7. Why is Toby working in the bowling alley the day after the funeral?
8. What was Juan's real reason for canceling his important date with Scarlett and why didn't he just tell her the truth?
9. Toby realizes why Zachary has never been baptized like he promised his mother he would be. What is the reason?
10. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with Toby?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast best friends Toby and Cal in When Zachary Beaver Comes to Town.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)