|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What heirloom does Toby give Scarlett?
2. Who gave custody of Zachary to Paulie?
3. Which famous golfer is admired throughout this book?
4. Who invites Toby and Cal to breakfast Monday morning after the ladybug release?
5. What does Toby's dad make for breakfast at the beginning of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good news does Zachary receive after his baptism?
2. Why won't Toby talk to Cal after his brother dies?
3. How do Cal and Toby talk Kate into helping them take Zachary to the movies?
4. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
5. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
6. Toby realizes why Zachary has never been baptized like he promised his mother he would be. What is the reason?
7. For what two reasons does Toby take the piece of jewelry from his mother's room?
8. Why is Zachary unhappy when he first learns of the baptism plans?
9. Why is Toby so mad at his father when they deliver bait on Saturday?
10. How do Cal, Toby and Kate protect Zachary from jeers at the movie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with Toby?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)