|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Toby first ask about how to get baptized?
2. Where do Cal and Toby decide to take Zachary in Chapter 13?
3. Who does Toby hang up on in Chapter 16?
4. What do the boys build to help Zachary get into the truck?
5. Whose idea is it at the end of Chapter 13 to get Zachary baptized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Toby so mad at his father when they deliver bait on Saturday?
2. Why won't Toby talk to Cal after his brother dies?
3. What good news does Zachary receive after his baptism?
4. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
5. Why does Toby's dad say he left Dallas?
6. What is the rush in getting Zachary baptized?
7. What steps does the minister tell Toby that must be taken to get baptized?
8. How and when is the McKnight family notified of their son's death?
9. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
10. Why is Zachary unhappy when he first learns of the baptism plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
Essay Topic 2
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)