|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toby's dad make for breakfast at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. What outing do Toby and his father go on in Chapter 19?
3. What does Cal throw at Toby at the end of Chapter 16?
4. When does Toby mow Miss Myrtie Mae's yard in Chapter 20?
5. Who invites Toby and Cal to breakfast Monday morning after the ladybug release?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't Toby talk to Cal after his brother dies?
2. What stereotype does Toby realize he has held regarding Juan and what does he realize is the truth?
3. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
4. For what two reasons does Toby take the piece of jewelry from his mother's room?
5. What was Juan's real reason for canceling his important date with Scarlett and why didn't he just tell her the truth?
6. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
7. Why is Toby working in the bowling alley the day after the funeral?
8. Why does Toby's dad say he left Dallas?
9. What are the two reasons the boys decide to have Zachary baptized at the lake?
10. What are two good results from Cal riding his bike into the lake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character description of Toby and Cal. Which is a major character? Which is a minor character? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of water throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Kate to the story? How might the novel had differed if she had not been introduced as a minor character?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)