|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toby do when he gets home from Zachary's baptism?
2. What heirloom does Toby give Scarlett?
3. Who does Toby chase in Chapter 19?
4. What does Ferris confess to in Chapter 16?
5. What does Toby realize in Chapter 19 that he needs to tell Cal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kate become involved with Zachary after driving the boys to the movie?
2. How do Cal and Toby talk Kate into helping them take Zachary to the movies?
3. Why is Toby so mad at his father when they deliver bait on Saturday?
4. How do Cal, Toby and Kate protect Zachary from jeers at the movie?
5. Why won't Toby talk to Cal after his brother dies?
6. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
7. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
8. What steps does the minister tell Toby that must be taken to get baptized?
9. What are two good results from Cal riding his bike into the lake?
10. Why does Toby's dad say he left Dallas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's writing experience and her successes of this book and others.
Essay Topic 3
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)