|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zachary's middle name?
2. Why was Zachary's mother's funeral a media circus?
3. Who drives the boys to their destination in Chapter 13?
4. Who does Toby hang up on in Chapter 16?
5. Who calls Zachary a freak in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two reasons the boys decide to have Zachary baptized at the lake?
2. What is the rush in getting Zachary baptized?
3. Describe the Ladybug Waltz.
4. Why won't Toby talk to Cal after his brother dies?
5. For what two reasons does Toby take the piece of jewelry from his mother's room?
6. What words of wisdom does Wayne write to Cal in his last letter?
7. Toby realizes why Zachary has never been baptized like he promised his mother he would be. What is the reason?
8. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
9. What good news does Zachary receive after his baptism?
10. Why is Toby so mad at his father when they deliver bait on Saturday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character, Toby, and his growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)