|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wayne compare war to so Cal can understand it?
2. What does the sideshow feature?
3. Who in Toby's house is usually dressed before anyone else?
4. What is the appearance of the sideshow ticket salesperson?
5. Who gets kissed on the cheek at the end of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to learning that his mom did not win the competition, what else does Toby learn about his mother in Chapter 8?
2. What strikes Toby as unusual when Zachary tells him about his travels in Paris? What does it make Toby think?
3. Why is Toby's father still in his pajamas at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. Why does Scarlett break up with Juan?
5. Why does Toby believe that Cal is good with kids?
6. What is the goal Zachary shares with Cal and Toby when the sheriff takes them to visit?
7. Why is there often a dog in the sheriff's car?
8. What is ironic about Cal and Toby chasing taunting fourth graders away from Zachary's trailer?
9. Why is Toby working in the bowling alley the day after the funeral?
10. Discuss the development of Gossimer Lake.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character description of Toby and Cal. Which is a major character? Which is a minor character? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's writing experience and her successes of this book and others.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Is there another genre the novel might also be classified as? Support your answers.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)