|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what does the sheriff have with him in his patrol car as he drives by the sideshow line?
2. How does Toby's mother finish in the singing competition?
3. What makes Toby happy in Chapter 8?
4. What is the appearance of the sideshow ticket salesperson?
5. Which character is a reformed alcoholic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Myrtie Mae appear when the crowd starts to form at the trailer when it arrives in Chapter 1?
2. What does Toby's dad tell him during their fishing trip about his own father?
3. In addition to learning that his mom did not win the competition, what else does Toby learn about his mother in Chapter 8?
4. Why do Toby and Cal sit on top of the bowling alley at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What are the two reasons the boys decide to have Zachary baptized at the lake?
6. Why does Scarlett break up with Juan?
7. Why is Toby so mad at his father when they deliver bait on Saturday?
8. What is the first food item the boys leave on the trailer step for Zachary"
9. How does Kate become involved with Zachary after driving the boys to the movie?
10. What is the goal Zachary shares with Cal and Toby when the sheriff takes them to visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character, Toby, and his growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's writing experience and her successes of this book and others.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss stereotypes present in the novel. How does Toby relate to or deal with the stereotypes?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)