|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to make fun of the featured sideshow person?
2. What does Toby realize when he drinks his first ever cup of coffee?
3. What does Cal's father use to control pests in his garden?
4. Which day of the week will Myrtie Mae's lawn get cut?
5. What cuts the lakeside dance short in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the town rumor about Ferris?
2. What is exciting about the trailer that pulls into town in Chapter 1? Why is it exciting?
3. Why does Miss Myrtie Mae appear when the crowd starts to form at the trailer when it arrives in Chapter 1?
4. Why is Toby's father still in his pajamas at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What is unusual about the letter Toby writes in Chapter 8?
6. What is ironic about Kate's announcement that she passed her driver's test and now has her license?
7. Why was Scarlett's relationship with Juan so important to her?
8. Why has Antler's population dwindled?
9. Other than the emotional attachment Toby has with his mother, why does he miss her so much?
10. Why is Toby awake extra early at the beginning of Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with Toby?
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)