|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sideshow boy drinking while people come to see him?
2. Which character is a reformed alcoholic?
3. Where do Toby and Cal go to see all of Antler?
4. Who does Toby write to in Chapter 8?
5. Which of the following businesses is NOT part of downtown Antler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is humorous about Toby and Cal yelling names at the town bully in Chapter 4?
2. Why is Toby awake extra early at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What amazes the boys about Zachary when they see him take the grocery sack from his steps?
4. What questions does Cal ask Zachary the first time he meets him?
5. In addition to learning that his mom did not win the competition, what else does Toby learn about his mother in Chapter 8?
6. What is unusual about the letter Toby writes in Chapter 8?
7. What help does Zachary ask from Toby and Cal when the sheriff takes them to visit?
8. Why does Miss Myrtie Mae appear when the crowd starts to form at the trailer when it arrives in Chapter 1?
9. As Toby and Scarlett swing on her front porch, what does Scarlett talk about?
10. Why is there often a dog in the sheriff's car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of water throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)