|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Cal to write a letter?
2. What kind of flag is in front of Cal's house?
3. What kind of walls block off the sideshow boy from the visitors?
4. Where do Toby and Cal leave a sack of groceries?
5. Who is the youngest of four kids?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there often a dog in the sheriff's car?
2. What is ironic about Cal and Toby chasing taunting fourth graders away from Zachary's trailer?
3. Why does Toby believe that Cal is good with kids?
4. Why was Scarlett's relationship with Juan so important to her?
5. Why did Cal think he would be hired to cut Miss Myrtie Mae's lawn each week?
6. Why does Toby quickly march Tara out of the sideshow trailer on their first visit there?
7. What is ironic about Kate's announcement that she passed her driver's test and now has her license?
8. What are Antler's major downtown businesses?
9. Why do Toby and Cal sit on top of the bowling alley at the beginning of Chapter 6?
10. What is the first food item the boys leave on the trailer step for Zachary"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with Toby?
Essay Topic 2
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's writing experience and her successes of this book and others.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)