|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which war did the bowling alley owner miss due to an injury?
2. Whose sister does Toby take to see the sideshow?
3. Why does Toby wake up early Friday morning in Chapter 9?
4. What gets torn when Cal disturbs Kate in Chapter 4?
5. Who wants to get out of the sideshow line to get something to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What help does Zachary ask from Toby and Cal when the sheriff takes them to visit?
2. What is unusual about the letter Toby writes in Chapter 8?
3. Why does Toby take Scarlett's sister to see the sideshow?
4. As Toby and Scarlett swing on her front porch, what does Scarlett talk about?
5. Discuss the development of Gossimer Lake.
6. What amazes the boys about Zachary when they see him take the grocery sack from his steps?
7. When Toby finally reads the letter from his mom in Chapter 11, what does he learn?
8. Why does Toby quickly march Tara out of the sideshow trailer on their first visit there?
9. What is the town rumor about Ferris?
10. What is ironic about Kate's announcement that she passed her driver's test and now has her license?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Kate to the story? How might the novel had differed if she had not been introduced as a minor character?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)