|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, who breaks a date without giving a reason?
2. How does Cal awaken Toby on Saturdays?
3. Why does Toby pick up the dropped item he finds in Chapter 6?
4. What do the children notice on a bookshelf?
5. Who does Toby write to in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the boys continue to leave food items on Zachary's steps?
2. Why does Mr. McKnight buy ladybugs?
3. What is unusual about the letter Toby writes in Chapter 8?
4. What questions does Cal ask Zachary the first time he meets him?
5. How does Scarlett thank Toby for dancing with her at the lake?
6. Why does Toby believe that Cal is good with kids?
7. What is the goal Zachary shares with Cal and Toby when the sheriff takes them to visit?
8. Discuss the development of Gossimer Lake.
9. What is humorous about Toby and Cal yelling names at the town bully in Chapter 4?
10. What is ironic about Kate's announcement that she passed her driver's test and now has her license?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is tone? What was Toby's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Is there another genre the novel might also be classified as? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss stereotypes present in the novel. How does Toby relate to or deal with the stereotypes?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)