|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks the trailer window?
2. What kind of flag is in front of Cal's house?
3. How does Zachary explain the lack of minister notes in his Bible?
4. Who wants to get out of the sideshow line to get something to eat?
5. What does Miss Myrtie May serve for lunch in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to learning that his mom did not win the competition, what else does Toby learn about his mother in Chapter 8?
2. Why did Cal think he would be hired to cut Miss Myrtie Mae's lawn each week?
3. Why does Cal always get up so early?
4. What is the town rumor about Miss Myrtie Mae?
5. What is a unique effect the cotton gin has on Antler?
6. Why was Scarlett's relationship with Juan so important to her?
7. Why is there often a dog in the sheriff's car?
8. Why does Miss Myrtie Mae appear when the crowd starts to form at the trailer when it arrives in Chapter 1?
9. What help does Zachary ask from Toby and Cal when the sheriff takes them to visit?
10. Why does Mr. McKnight buy ladybugs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary theme of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss stereotypes present in the novel. How does Toby relate to or deal with the stereotypes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view from which the novel is written. Does this point of view make the story more or less believable? Select a different point of view and explain how this novel would have changed if written from it.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)