|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the appearance of the sideshow ticket salesperson?
2. Who agrees to cut Myrtie Mae's lawn throughout the summer?
3. Who encourages Cal to write a letter?
4. Why do the children stay in line instead of going to eat?
5. Who built the dam at Gossimer Lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scarlett thank Toby for dancing with her at the lake?
2. Why does Miss Myrtie Mae appear when the crowd starts to form at the trailer when it arrives in Chapter 1?
3. What is exciting about the trailer that pulls into town in Chapter 1? Why is it exciting?
4. What strikes Toby as unusual when Zachary tells him about his travels in Paris? What does it make Toby think?
5. What questions does Cal ask Zachary the first time he meets him?
6. Why does Cal always get up so early?
7. What is ironic about Kate's announcement that she passed her driver's test and now has her license?
8. What is the goal Zachary shares with Cal and Toby when the sheriff takes them to visit?
9. Why is Toby's father still in his pajamas at the beginning of Chapter 9?
10. What is the town rumor about Miss Myrtie Mae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
Essay Topic 2
What is tone? What was Toby's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)