|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sideshow boy drinking while people come to see him?
2. What does Scarlett do when her sister tells what Toby did in her room?
3. Where does Toby go in Chapter 8 after dropping his letter in the mail?
4. Who does Toby receive a letter from in Chapter 11?
5. What cuts the lakeside dance short in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Toby awake extra early at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. Why does Cal always get up so early?
3. What strikes Toby as unusual when Zachary tells him about his travels in Paris? What does it make Toby think?
4. In the letter from Wayne that Cal reads to Toby on top of the bowling alley, what does Wayne write about?
5. What is unusual about the letter Toby writes in Chapter 8?
6. Why do the boys continue to leave food items on Zachary's steps?
7. Why did Cal think he would be hired to cut Miss Myrtie Mae's lawn each week?
8. How do Toby and Cal try to determine whether Zachary really is the fattest boy in the world?
9. Why is there often a dog in the sheriff's car?
10. What is ironic about Cal and Toby chasing taunting fourth graders away from Zachary's trailer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
Essay Topic 2
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with Toby?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)