|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cal think Zachary is lying about in Chapter 7?
2. What was made of the foil taken from the cake?
3. What does Wayne compare war to so Cal can understand it?
4. What famous French landmark does Zachary tell Cal and Toby about in Chapter 11?
5. What does the community discuss over lunch at the diner in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Cal and Toby chasing taunting fourth graders away from Zachary's trailer?
2. What amazes the boys about Zachary when they see him take the grocery sack from his steps?
3. How do Toby and Cal try to determine whether Zachary really is the fattest boy in the world?
4. What is the first food item the boys leave on the trailer step for Zachary"
5. What is the town rumor about Miss Myrtie Mae?
6. How does Scarlett thank Toby for dancing with her at the lake?
7. What help does Zachary ask from Toby and Cal when the sheriff takes them to visit?
8. When Toby finally reads the letter from his mom in Chapter 11, what does he learn?
9. Why does Toby quickly march Tara out of the sideshow trailer on their first visit there?
10. Why do the boys continue to leave food items on Zachary's steps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Kate to the story? How might the novel had differed if she had not been introduced as a minor character?
Essay Topic 2
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
Essay Topic 3
A protagonist has heroic qualities and an antagonist has villainous qualities. Discuss the protagonist in When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Discuss the antagonist. What is ironic about the story's antagonist?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)