|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous French landmark does Zachary tell Cal and Toby about in Chapter 11?
2. Which book do Toby and Cal use as the authoritative resource in their research?
3. What was made of the foil taken from the cake?
4. Whose sister does Toby take to see the sideshow?
5. What does Scarlett do when her sister tells what Toby did in her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the boys continue to leave food items on Zachary's steps?
2. Why does Mr. McKnight buy ladybugs?
3. Why does Cal always get up so early?
4. What amazes the boys about Zachary when they see him take the grocery sack from his steps?
5. What is ironic about Cal and Toby chasing taunting fourth graders away from Zachary's trailer?
6. What is the goal Zachary shares with Cal and Toby when the sheriff takes them to visit?
7. In the letter from Wayne that Cal reads to Toby on top of the bowling alley, what does Wayne write about?
8. Discuss the development of Gossimer Lake.
9. Why do Toby and Cal sit on top of the bowling alley at the beginning of Chapter 6?
10. Why does Toby believe that Cal is good with kids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character, Toby, and his growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Toby and Cal. Which is a major character? Which is a minor character? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor characters.
Essay Topic 3
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)