|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks the trailer window?
2. Who begins to make fun of the featured sideshow person?
3. Why does Toby get mad at Scarlett in Chapter 10?
4. What does Toby learn in the letter he receives in Chapter 11?
5. What does Cal leave on the steps of Zachary's trailer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there often a dog in the sheriff's car?
2. What is humorous about Toby and Cal yelling names at the town bully in Chapter 4?
3. What is exciting about the trailer that pulls into town in Chapter 1? Why is it exciting?
4. What is unusual about the letter Toby writes in Chapter 8?
5. What is a unique effect the cotton gin has on Antler?
6. Other than the emotional attachment Toby has with his mother, why does he miss her so much?
7. What questions does Cal ask Zachary the first time he meets him?
8. What is the town rumor about Ferris?
9. Why does Toby take Scarlett's sister to see the sideshow?
10. What is ironic about Kate's announcement that she passed her driver's test and now has her license?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's writing experience and her successes of this book and others.
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss stereotypes present in the novel. How does Toby relate to or deal with the stereotypes?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)