|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Cal to write a letter?
2. Who begins to make fun of the featured sideshow person?
3. Who does Toby write to in Chapter 8?
4. What do the children notice on a bookshelf?
5. When Toby and Cal leave their lookout post in Chapter 6, what is dropped?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the letter from Wayne that Cal reads to Toby on top of the bowling alley, what does Wayne write about?
2. What is exciting about the trailer that pulls into town in Chapter 1? Why is it exciting?
3. In addition to learning that his mom did not win the competition, what else does Toby learn about his mother in Chapter 8?
4. What is the town rumor about Miss Myrtie Mae?
5. What questions does Cal ask Zachary the first time he meets him?
6. Why is Toby's father still in his pajamas at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. What are Antler's major downtown businesses?
8. Why does Scarlett break up with Juan?
9. Why has Antler's population dwindled?
10. Why is Toby awake extra early at the beginning of Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is tone? What was Toby's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 2
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with Toby?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Is there another genre the novel might also be classified as? Support your answers.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)