|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Cal and Toby shout names at in Chapter 4?
2. Why is Kate the last Antler High School junior to get her driver's license?
3. To whom was Myrtie Mae rumored to be engaged?
4. What does the community discuss over lunch at the diner in Chapter 5?
5. In Antler, what often blows in the wind like snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Cal think he would be hired to cut Miss Myrtie Mae's lawn each week?
2. Why do Toby and Cal sit on top of the bowling alley at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. Why does Cal always get up so early?
4. What is humorous about Toby and Cal yelling names at the town bully in Chapter 4?
5. What amazes the boys about Zachary when they see him take the grocery sack from his steps?
6. What is ironic about Kate's announcement that she passed her driver's test and now has her license?
7. Why has Antler's population dwindled?
8. What is the town rumor about Ferris?
9. Why does Mr. McKnight buy ladybugs?
10. When Toby finally reads the letter from his mom in Chapter 11, what does he learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's writing experience and her successes of this book and others.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the Grand Ole Opry and the Vietnam War to the theme of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)