|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the competition Toby's mom was in held?
2. Who took the foil off the cake that Toby hid in the bushes?
3. Why does Paulie give Ferris an envelope of money?
4. What one item in the trailer looks like it is not sterile?
5. Where does Toby go in Chapter 8 after dropping his letter in the mail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the town rumor about Ferris?
2. Why is there often a dog in the sheriff's car?
3. What is the town rumor about Miss Myrtie Mae?
4. What strikes Toby as unusual when Zachary tells him about his travels in Paris? What does it make Toby think?
5. What is ironic about Kate's announcement that she passed her driver's test and now has her license?
6. What is unusual about the letter Toby writes in Chapter 8?
7. Why has Antler's population dwindled?
8. Other than the emotional attachment Toby has with his mother, why does he miss her so much?
9. Why was Scarlett's relationship with Juan so important to her?
10. What amazes the boys about Zachary when they see him take the grocery sack from his steps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character, Toby, and his growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Is there another genre the novel might also be classified as? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)