|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Toby had a crush on for a long time?
2. Who hits Zachary's trailer?
3. Who asks Cal to write a letter?
4. What kind of walls block off the sideshow boy from the visitors?
5. What is the sideshow boy doing while viewers stop by to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the town rumor about Miss Myrtie Mae?
2. What is the town rumor about Ferris?
3. Why was Scarlett's relationship with Juan so important to her?
4. How do Toby and Cal try to determine whether Zachary really is the fattest boy in the world?
5. Why do Toby and Cal sit on top of the bowling alley at the beginning of Chapter 6?
6. What is a unique effect the cotton gin has on Antler?
7. What help does Zachary ask from Toby and Cal when the sheriff takes them to visit?
8. Why does Cal always get up so early?
9. Why does Miss Myrtie Mae appear when the crowd starts to form at the trailer when it arrives in Chapter 1?
10. What is humorous about Toby and Cal yelling names at the town bully in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view from which the novel is written. Does this point of view make the story more or less believable? Select a different point of view and explain how this novel would have changed if written from it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss stereotypes present in the novel. How does Toby relate to or deal with the stereotypes?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)