|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the farm that Cal's father owns?
2. What does the community discuss over lunch at the diner in Chapter 5?
3. Where does Toby go in Chapter 8 after dropping his letter in the mail?
4. How do Toby and Cal pass time while waiting at their lookout post?
5. Who joins Toby and Mr. Wilson for lunch in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the town rumor about Ferris?
2. Why do Toby and Cal sit on top of the bowling alley at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. What is the first food item the boys leave on the trailer step for Zachary"
4. What is exciting about the trailer that pulls into town in Chapter 1? Why is it exciting?
5. What strikes Toby as unusual when Zachary tells him about his travels in Paris? What does it make Toby think?
6. Why does Toby take Scarlett's sister to see the sideshow?
7. What is a unique effect the cotton gin has on Antler?
8. Why does Toby quickly march Tara out of the sideshow trailer on their first visit there?
9. What amazes the boys about Zachary when they see him take the grocery sack from his steps?
10. As Toby and Scarlett swing on her front porch, what does Scarlett talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with Toby?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast best friends Toby and Cal in When Zachary Beaver Comes to Town.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Kate to the story? How might the novel had differed if she had not been introduced as a minor character?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)