|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose sister does Toby take to see the sideshow?
2. Why does Toby pick up the dropped item he finds in Chapter 6?
3. How does Toby's mother finish in the singing competition?
4. What does Cal see when he peeks inside Zachary's gold box?
5. What kind of car does Wayne own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scarlett thank Toby for dancing with her at the lake?
2. What are Antler's major downtown businesses?
3. What is the town rumor about Ferris?
4. What questions does Cal ask Zachary the first time he meets him?
5. What is humorous about Toby and Cal yelling names at the town bully in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Toby take Scarlett's sister to see the sideshow?
7. What strikes Toby as unusual when Zachary tells him about his travels in Paris? What does it make Toby think?
8. Why does Scarlett break up with Juan?
9. Why does Miss Myrtie Mae appear when the crowd starts to form at the trailer when it arrives in Chapter 1?
10. What is a unique effect the cotton gin has on Antler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss stereotypes present in the novel. How does Toby relate to or deal with the stereotypes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Is there another genre the novel might also be classified as? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)