|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was hauling the sideshow trailer?
2. Whose sister does Toby take to see the sideshow?
3. How does Cal awaken Toby on Saturdays?
4. What does Kate run over when pulling out of her driveway in Chapter 5?
5. What kind of car does Wayne own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the goal Zachary shares with Cal and Toby when the sheriff takes them to visit?
2. What is the first food item the boys leave on the trailer step for Zachary"
3. Why do the boys continue to leave food items on Zachary's steps?
4. Why does Toby quickly march Tara out of the sideshow trailer on their first visit there?
5. In addition to learning that his mom did not win the competition, what else does Toby learn about his mother in Chapter 8?
6. What amazes the boys about Zachary when they see him take the grocery sack from his steps?
7. What questions does Cal ask Zachary the first time he meets him?
8. Discuss the development of Gossimer Lake.
9. Why does Toby take Scarlett's sister to see the sideshow?
10. What is the town rumor about Miss Myrtie Mae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Kate to the story? How might the novel had differed if she had not been introduced as a minor character?
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Toby and Cal. Which is a major character? Which is a minor character? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor characters.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)