|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Toby and Cal go to see all of Antler?
2. How do Toby and Cal pass time while waiting at their lookout post?
3. What do the children notice on a bookshelf?
4. What one item in the trailer looks like it is not sterile?
5. What kind of flag is in front of Cal's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to learning that his mom did not win the competition, what else does Toby learn about his mother in Chapter 8?
2. What are Antler's major downtown businesses?
3. What are the two reasons the boys decide to have Zachary baptized at the lake?
4. What is exciting about the trailer that pulls into town in Chapter 1? Why is it exciting?
5. What is the first food item the boys leave on the trailer step for Zachary"
6. What stereotype does Toby realize he has held regarding Juan and what does he realize is the truth?
7. Why does Ferris feel especially bad after Wayne's death?
8. Why does Toby take Scarlett's sister to see the sideshow?
9. What is the goal Zachary shares with Cal and Toby when the sheriff takes them to visit?
10. What questions does Cal ask Zachary the first time he meets him?
Essay Topic 1
What is tone? What was Toby's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)