|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops the people from teasing Zachary in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 8, who breaks a date without giving a reason?
3. What do the children notice on a bookshelf?
4. Who talks with Toby at the lake?
5. How does Toby's mother finish in the singing competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Toby finally reads the letter from his mom in Chapter 11, what does he learn?
2. In addition to learning that his mom did not win the competition, what else does Toby learn about his mother in Chapter 8?
3. What is ironic about Kate's announcement that she passed her driver's test and now has her license?
4. What is the town rumor about Miss Myrtie Mae?
5. Why does Toby believe that Cal is good with kids?
6. Why is Toby awake extra early at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. Why does Toby take Scarlett's sister to see the sideshow?
8. Why does Mr. McKnight buy ladybugs?
9. What is exciting about the trailer that pulls into town in Chapter 1? Why is it exciting?
10. Why do the boys continue to leave food items on Zachary's steps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Zachary symbolize to the people of Antler when he arrives in town? What does he grow to symbolize to Toby and to Cal?
Essay Topic 2
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with Toby?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss stereotypes present in the novel. How does Toby relate to or deal with the stereotypes?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)