|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who phones while Toby is at Scarlett's house?
2. Which war did the bowling alley owner miss due to an injury?
3. Who gets kissed on the cheek at the end of Chapter 8?
4. Where does Cal live?
5. How do Toby and Cal pass time while waiting at their lookout post?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Toby awake extra early at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. Why does Miss Myrtie Mae appear when the crowd starts to form at the trailer when it arrives in Chapter 1?
3. What is ironic about Kate's announcement that she passed her driver's test and now has her license?
4. Why did Cal think he would be hired to cut Miss Myrtie Mae's lawn each week?
5. Why does Toby quickly march Tara out of the sideshow trailer on their first visit there?
6. What is ironic about Cal and Toby chasing taunting fourth graders away from Zachary's trailer?
7. Why is there often a dog in the sheriff's car?
8. Other than the emotional attachment Toby has with his mother, why does he miss her so much?
9. In the letter from Wayne that Cal reads to Toby on top of the bowling alley, what does Wayne write about?
10. Why has Antler's population dwindled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with Toby?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Kate to the story? How might the novel had differed if she had not been introduced as a minor character?
Essay Topic 3
What is tone? What was Toby's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)