|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cleaning product is smelled when Toby and friends enter the sideshow trailer?
2. Who does Toby write to in Chapter 8?
3. Where does Toby go in Chapter 8 after dropping his letter in the mail?
4. How does Toby's mother finish in the singing competition?
5. How do Toby and Cal pass time while waiting at their lookout post?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Myrtie Mae appear when the crowd starts to form at the trailer when it arrives in Chapter 1?
2. Why did Cal think he would be hired to cut Miss Myrtie Mae's lawn each week?
3. What is the town rumor about Ferris?
4. What amazes the boys about Zachary when they see him take the grocery sack from his steps?
5. What is a unique effect the cotton gin has on Antler?
6. In addition to learning that his mom did not win the competition, what else does Toby learn about his mother in Chapter 8?
7. Discuss the development of Gossimer Lake.
8. Why is there often a dog in the sheriff's car?
9. How do Toby and Cal try to determine whether Zachary really is the fattest boy in the world?
10. Why do the boys continue to leave food items on Zachary's steps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary theme of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the Grand Ole Opry and the Vietnam War to the theme of When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast best friends Toby and Cal in When Zachary Beaver Comes to Town.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)