|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of walls block off the sideshow boy from the visitors?
(b) Wooden with viewing holes cut in.
2. When Toby and Cal leave their lookout post in Chapter 6, what is dropped?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A letter.
(c) A dollar.
(d) A candy bar.
3. How does Zachary explain the lack of minister notes in his Bible?
(a) He said he was almost baptized.
(b) The minister didn't speak English.
(c) He said the minister couldn't write.
(d) He couldn't find the Bible when he got baptized.
4. Why does Toby get mad at Scarlett in Chapter 10?
(a) For telling Cal he is not there.
(b) For telling the Sheriff he is there.
(c) For telling Miss Myrtie May that Toby does not have a cake with him.
(d) For telling Juan he is there.
5. Who does Toby receive a letter from in Chapter 11?
(c) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous French landmark does Zachary tell Cal and Toby about in Chapter 11?
2. Who gets kissed on the cheek at the end of Chapter 8?
3. Who took the foil off the cake that Toby hid in the bushes?
4. What does the community discuss over lunch at the diner in Chapter 5?
5. Who or what does the sheriff have with him in his patrol car as he drives by the sideshow line?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the development of Gossimer Lake.
2. What is exciting about the trailer that pulls into town in Chapter 1? Why is it exciting?
3. Why did Cal think he would be hired to cut Miss Myrtie Mae's lawn each week?
4. Why do Toby and Cal sit on top of the bowling alley at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What strikes Toby as unusual when Zachary tells him about his travels in Paris? What does it make Toby think?
6. Other than the emotional attachment Toby has with his mother, why does he miss her so much?
7. Why does Toby take Scarlett's sister to see the sideshow?
8. What amazes the boys about Zachary when they see him take the grocery sack from his steps?
9. In addition to learning that his mom did not win the competition, what else does Toby learn about his mother in Chapter 8?
10. Why is Toby awake extra early at the beginning of Chapter 9?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)