|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Annemarie at school in Chapter 27?
2. Why does Miranda go to Julia's house in Chapter 44?
3. How does Miranda feel about what happens to Julia in #93?
4. Who does not recognize Miranda in the hall at school?
5. What is Miranda's mother's mood when she comes home from work in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Miranda's not telling Sal that he should no longer fear Marcus?
2. What does Miranda receive from Richard for Christmas and why does it frighten Miranda?
3. What do Marcus and Julia attempt to explain to Miranda one day?
4. What is Miranda's new outlook on life regarding how she is going to treat people?
5. What is missing from the apartment one day and what do Miranda and her mother think about what has happened?
6. Where does Miranda find the fourth and final note from the stranger and what questions remain for her?
7. What happens after Miranda phones Annemarie on New Year's Day?
8. Why does Miranda start calling Julia "Swiss Miss"?
9. How does Miranda react to Julia's assertiveness in this section?
10. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Stead choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)