|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miranda give to a homeless man when she walks home from school in Chapter 33?
2. What happens to Miranda, Colin and Annemarie's jobs at the sandwich shop?
3. In Chapter 32, Miranda's roll count at the sandwich shop is _____________ short.
4. What does Miranda discover at Julia's house?
5. What disease does Annemarie have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that Julia does to annoy Miranda and Annemarie?
2. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
3. Why is Miranda so surprised and happy when Annemarie is still at her house the morning after a sleepover?
4. How do Miranda and her mother differ in their feelings about Miranda's mother marrying Richard?
5. What is the climax of the novel?
6. How does Miranda learn about Annemarie's disease?
7. What do Marcus and Julia attempt to explain to Miranda one day?
8. Where does Miranda find the fourth and final note from the stranger and what questions remain for her?
9. How does the homeless man save Sal in Chapter 45?
10. When does Miranda finally understand what the writer of the notes meant when he said he was coming to save her friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Does Stead end the story on a note of hope for Miranda or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Miranda and Julia. Both girls had and have influence over Annemarie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)