|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miranda and __________________ make amends and become friends again in Chapter 40.
2. Where does Annemarie's father invite Miranda?
3. Who is called to go to the nurse's office at school?
4. Miranda, Colin and Annemarie realize that the sandwich shop owner is __________________.
5. Where do Miranda and Annemarie run into Julia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Miranda's not telling Sal that he should no longer fear Marcus?
2. How does Miranda react to Julia's assertiveness in this section?
3. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
4. How do Miranda and her mother differ in their feelings about Miranda's mother marrying Richard?
5. What is Miranda's new outlook on life regarding how she is going to treat people?
6. Why are Annemarie, Colin and Miranda fired from their jobs and what do they do to try to get them back?
7. What is the climax of the novel?
8. What is missing from the apartment one day and what do Miranda and her mother think about what has happened?
9. When does Miranda finally understand what the writer of the notes meant when he said he was coming to save her friend?
10. How does Miranda learn about Annemarie's disease?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is an important theme in WHEN YOU REACH ME. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Miranda. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Miranda learn about the source of Julia's true anger? Explain.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)