|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to Miranda's door in Chapter 43 to give her a kiss?
2. What does the homeless man ask Annemarie about in Chapter 33?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the words in #153?
4. Miranda sees words scratched into the surface of ____________________.
5. In Chapter 42, Miranda writes a note to _______________ in an attempt to make amends.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Annemarie, Colin and Miranda fired from their jobs and what do they do to try to get them back?
2. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
3. What is the Quack's reaction when he sees Marcus on the street?
4. What is missing from the apartment one day and what do Miranda and her mother think about what has happened?
5. What is the climax of the novel?
6. What do Marcus and Julia attempt to explain to Miranda one day?
7. How does the homeless man save Sal in Chapter 45?
8. How does Miranda change the way she views people after the way the sandwich shop owner treated Julia?
9. What does Miranda see scratched into the mailbox after the homeless man saves Sal?
10. What does Miranda receive from Richard for Christmas and why does it frighten Miranda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miranda spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate her life. What does she think about? What conclusions does she arrive at? Explain why she is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of time travel will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of time travel throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Does Stead end the story on a note of hope for Miranda or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)