|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Miranda afraid of in Chapter 25?
2. What does the homeless man ask Annemarie about in Chapter 33?
3. What does Miranda's mother tell Miranda about Richard in Chapter 34?
4. What do Miranda, Colin and Annemarie do when they realize how the sandwich shop owner feels about Julia?
5. Richard cannot find __________________ that he left in the apartment.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Quack's reaction when he sees Marcus on the street?
2. What is the climax of the novel?
3. What are some of the things that Julia does to annoy Miranda and Annemarie?
4. When does Miranda finally understand what the writer of the notes meant when he said he was coming to save her friend?
5. What is missing from the apartment one day and what do Miranda and her mother think about what has happened?
6. How do Miranda and her mother differ in their feelings about Miranda's mother marrying Richard?
7. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Miranda's not telling Sal that he should no longer fear Marcus?
9. What do Marcus and Julia attempt to explain to Miranda one day?
10. How does Miranda learn about Annemarie's disease?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miranda spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate her life. What does she think about? What conclusions does she arrive at? Explain why she is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
Rebecca Stead is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rebecca Stead's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her style in WHEN YOU REACH ME.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)