|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Julia's family has just returned from a trip to ___________________.
2. What does Julia do to Miranda during class?
3. What does the homeless man ask Annemarie about in Chapter 33?
4. What do Miranda, Colin and Annemarie do when they realize how the sandwich shop owner feels about Julia?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the words in #153?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miranda start calling Julia "Swiss Miss"?
2. When does Miranda finally understand what the writer of the notes meant when he said he was coming to save her friend?
3. Why is Miranda so surprised and happy when Annemarie is still at her house the morning after a sleepover?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing in the scene where Marcus and Julia try to explain time travel to Miranda?
5. What does Miranda receive from Richard for Christmas and why does it frighten Miranda?
6. Why do Annemarie, Colin and Miranda all quit their jobs after they get them back?
7. What is Miranda's new outlook on life regarding how she is going to treat people?
8. How does Miranda change the way she views people after the way the sandwich shop owner treated Julia?
9. What is the significance of the third note which Miranda finds in her coat pocket?
10. How do Miranda and her mother differ in their feelings about Miranda's mother marrying Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of time travel will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of time travel throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
WHEN YOU REACH ME is a classic science fiction and mystery novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)