|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new nickname does Miranda have for Julia?
2. Who is called to go to the nurse's office at school?
3. Who would Miranda like to befriend?
4. What does Miranda give to a homeless man when she walks home from school in Chapter 33?
5. What happens to Julia in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Quack's reaction when he sees Marcus on the street?
2. What do Marcus and Julia attempt to explain to Miranda one day?
3. What does Miranda receive from Richard for Christmas and why does it frighten Miranda?
4. How does the homeless man save Sal in Chapter 45?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Miranda's not telling Sal that he should no longer fear Marcus?
6. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
7. When does Miranda finally understand what the writer of the notes meant when he said he was coming to save her friend?
8. What is the significance of the third note which Miranda finds in her coat pocket?
9. What is Miranda's new outlook on life regarding how she is going to treat people?
10. What does Miranda see scratched into the mailbox after the homeless man saves Sal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Marcus. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Marcus?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)