|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is called to go to the nurse's office at school?
2. What holiday is it in Chapter 40?
3. Who is nearly hit by a truck in Chapter 45?
4. Why does Marcus tell Miranda that he hit Sal?
5. What does Miranda discover at Julia's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Miranda phones Annemarie on New Year's Day?
2. What is the significance of the third note which Miranda finds in her coat pocket?
3. How does the homeless man save Sal in Chapter 45?
4. What is missing from the apartment one day and what do Miranda and her mother think about what has happened?
5. How does Miranda react to Julia's assertiveness in this section?
6. What is the climax of the novel?
7. How does Miranda change the way she views people after the way the sandwich shop owner treated Julia?
8. Why do Annemarie, Colin and Miranda all quit their jobs after they get them back?
9. What is Miranda's new outlook on life regarding how she is going to treat people?
10. Where does Miranda find the fourth and final note from the stranger and what questions remain for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Richard. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Richard?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Stead choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Rebecca Stead is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)