|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about the gift in #134?
2. What does Miranda discover at Julia's house?
3. Miranda calls Annemarie from _________________.
4. In Chapter 42, Miranda writes a note to _______________ in an attempt to make amends.
5. What is the name of Miranda's favorite book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Miranda phones Annemarie on New Year's Day?
2. What do Marcus and Julia attempt to explain to Miranda one day?
3. How does Miranda change the way she views people after the way the sandwich shop owner treated Julia?
4. What does Miranda see scratched into the mailbox after the homeless man saves Sal?
5. How does Miranda react to Julia's assertiveness in this section?
6. What is the Quack's reaction when he sees Marcus on the street?
7. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
8. Where does Miranda find the fourth and final note from the stranger and what questions remain for her?
9. Why is Miranda so surprised and happy when Annemarie is still at her house the morning after a sleepover?
10. What is the climax of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rebecca Stead is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
WHEN YOU REACH ME is a classic science fiction and mystery novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of time travel will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of time travel throughout the book.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)