|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Julia in Chapter 25?
2. In Chapter 32, Miranda's roll count at the sandwich shop is _____________ short.
3. What does Miranda find in the pocket of her winter coat in Chapter 30?
4. Miranda sees words scratched into the surface of ____________________.
5. Julia's family has just returned from a trip to ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
2. How does Miranda react to Julia's assertiveness in this section?
3. What happens after Miranda phones Annemarie on New Year's Day?
4. How does Miranda change the way she views people after the way the sandwich shop owner treated Julia?
5. What is missing from the apartment one day and what do Miranda and her mother think about what has happened?
6. What are some of the things that Julia does to annoy Miranda and Annemarie?
7. What is the climax of the novel?
8. What do Marcus and Julia attempt to explain to Miranda one day?
9. Why is Miranda so surprised and happy when Annemarie is still at her house the morning after a sleepover?
10. Why are Annemarie, Colin and Miranda fired from their jobs and what do they do to try to get them back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WHEN YOU REACH ME is a classic science fiction and mystery novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of time travel will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of time travel throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Miranda and Julia. Both girls had and have influence over Annemarie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)