|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday is it in Chapter 40?
2. For what does Julia criticize Annemarie?
3. Who saves the person in #151?
4. Where do Miranda and her mother go for entertainment in Chapter 40?
5. Why are the kids stuck at school during lunch one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Miranda phones Annemarie on New Year's Day?
2. How does Miranda change the way she views people after the way the sandwich shop owner treated Julia?
3. What does Miranda receive from Richard for Christmas and why does it frighten Miranda?
4. Why is Miranda so surprised and happy when Annemarie is still at her house the morning after a sleepover?
5. Why are Annemarie, Colin and Miranda fired from their jobs and what do they do to try to get them back?
6. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
7. Where does Miranda find the fourth and final note from the stranger and what questions remain for her?
8. How do Miranda and her mother differ in their feelings about Miranda's mother marrying Richard?
9. What is the Quack's reaction when he sees Marcus on the street?
10. When does Miranda finally understand what the writer of the notes meant when he said he was coming to save her friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Miranda. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda?
Essay Topic 2
Rebecca Stead is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Miranda. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Miranda learn about the source of Julia's true anger? Explain.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)