|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the sandwich shop owner ban from the shop?
2. What new nickname does Miranda have for Julia?
3. Why does Miranda take a girl in her class to the bathroom?
4. What does Miranda's mother practice in Chapter 21?
5. Where do Miranda and Annemarie run into Julia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Miranda phones Annemarie on New Year's Day?
2. How does Miranda change the way she views people after the way the sandwich shop owner treated Julia?
3. What is the significance of the third note which Miranda finds in her coat pocket?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing in the scene where Marcus and Julia try to explain time travel to Miranda?
5. What do Marcus and Julia attempt to explain to Miranda one day?
6. How does Miranda react to Julia's assertiveness in this section?
7. What are some of the things that Julia does to annoy Miranda and Annemarie?
8. Why do Annemarie, Colin and Miranda all quit their jobs after they get them back?
9. Why does Miranda start calling Julia "Swiss Miss"?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Miranda's not telling Sal that he should no longer fear Marcus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Stead choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Does Stead end the story on a note of hope for Miranda or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)