|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hosted the show in #2?
2. What job does Miranda have in the sandwich shop?
3. What does Miranda do when she is afraid of someone on the street?
4. Who is Sal's mother?
5. The author of the notes wants Miranda to mention ________________ in a story.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Miranda's mother so sad about her life?
2. What is the content of the mysterious notes and who is writing them?
3. Who is Marcus and what is his opinion on the book that Miranda always carries with her?
4. Describe Annemarie's father and the special attention he provides for his daughter.
5. What does Miranda think she is named after?
6. Describe Miranda's encounter with the boy who punched Sal the day after Sal was hurt.
7. What is the nature of Miranda's mother's relationship with Richard?
8. What are the two notes that Miranda finds and why are they so unsettling for Miranda?
9. How does the motif of time travel become introduced in the story?
10. What do Miranda and Richard do with Miranda's mother each evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miranda spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate her life. What does she think about? What conclusions does she arrive at? Explain why she is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
WHEN YOU REACH ME is a classic science fiction and mystery novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)