|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miranda's mother feel about their apartment?
2. What does Miranda's mother take from her job?
3. Who was Annemarie's best friend?
4. What did the person in #39 tell Miranda after the person was punched?
5. Where does Miranda volunteer to help in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miranda think she is named after?
2. Where does Miranda find the first note and what is its content?
3. Who is Colin and what job does he get for himself, Miranda and Annemarie?
4. What does Miranda's mother think is the only good thing about living in their apartment building?
5. What is the nature of Miranda's mother's relationship with Richard?
6. What does Miranda compare the game show postcard to in Chapter 1?
7. Who is Sal and what is his role in Miranda's life?
8. Who is the main character of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
9. Why is Miranda startled upon returning home from school one day?
10. What is the content of the mysterious notes and who is writing them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Stead choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Miranda. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Miranda's mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda's mother?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)