|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sal?
2. What has Miranda been asked to do in one of the mystery notes?
3. What is Miranda's mother's current job?
4. What does Miranda's mother say is the only good thing about their apartment?
5. Where does the person in #50 ask Miranda to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sal and what is his role in Miranda's life?
2. Who is Quack and how does Miranda know him?
3. Who is the main character of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
4. What are the two notes that Miranda finds and why are they so unsettling for Miranda?
5. Describe what happens when Miranda sees Sal get punched by a big boy on the street.
6. What does Miranda think she is named after?
7. What do Miranda and Richard do with Miranda's mother each evening?
8. What is Miranda's job when she helps out in the school office?
9. Why is Miranda startled upon returning home from school one day?
10. Describe Miranda's encounter with the boy who punched Sal the day after Sal was hurt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is an important theme in WHEN YOU REACH ME. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)