|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the time period for WHEN YOU REACH ME?
2. Who was Annemarie's best friend?
3. Miranda's mother dates a man with what profession?
4. What was Miranda's mother's career goal?
5. What unique habit does Quack have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Miranda startled upon returning home from school one day?
2. Describe Annemarie's father and the special attention he provides for his daughter.
3. Who is Quack and how does Miranda know him?
4. Who is Sal and what is his role in Miranda's life?
5. Who is Colin and what job does he get for himself, Miranda and Annemarie?
6. What does Miranda do when she encounters someone who frightens her?
7. Where do Miranda and her mother keep a spare key to the apartment?
8. What is the content of the mysterious notes and who is writing them?
9. What does Miranda think she is named after?
10. What has Miranda not noticed about Sal's behavior lately that might indicate that he wanted to withdraw from her for awhile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Miranda and Julia. Both girls had and have influence over Annemarie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Miranda. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rebecca Stead's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her style in WHEN YOU REACH ME.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)