|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Miranda's mother is close to Richard she refuses to give him ___________________.
2. What beverage does Annemarie's father give to Miranda but not to Annemarie?
3. How does Miranda know the boy in #63?
4. What does Louisa regularly bring to Miranda's mother?
5. Where does Miranda invite Annemarie in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Miranda's mother's relationship with Richard?
2. Who is Sal and what is his role in Miranda's life?
3. What does Miranda compare the game show postcard to in Chapter 1?
4. Describe Miranda's encounter with the boy who punched Sal the day after Sal was hurt.
5. Where does Miranda find the first note and what is its content?
6. What are the two notes that Miranda finds and why are they so unsettling for Miranda?
7. Who is Colin and what job does he get for himself, Miranda and Annemarie?
8. Describe Annemarie's father and the special attention he provides for his daughter.
9. What is one of the things Miranda's mother would like to do with the money if she should win at the game show?
10. What does Miranda's mother think is the only good thing about living in their apartment building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WHEN YOU REACH ME is a classic science fiction and mystery novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Rebecca Stead is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Miranda. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)