|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Miranda's mother is close to Richard she refuses to give him ___________________.
2. Who is Richard?
3. What is the time period for WHEN YOU REACH ME?
4. Whose mother wants to appear on the show in #2?
5. What is one of the things on Miranda's mother's list of things she would do if she won the game show money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content of the mysterious notes and who is writing them?
2. Who is Sal and what is his role in Miranda's life?
3. What is one of the things Miranda's mother would like to do with the money if she should win at the game show?
4. What is the premise of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
5. What does Miranda's mother think is the only good thing about living in their apartment building?
6. What does Miranda do when she encounters someone who frightens her?
7. Why is Miranda startled upon returning home from school one day?
8. What does Miranda compare the game show postcard to in Chapter 1?
9. What does Miranda think she is named after?
10. Who is the main character of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Miranda's mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda's mother?
Essay Topic 2
Rebecca Stead is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)