|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the note found in #75?
2. Why could Miranda's mother not finish her university education?
3. Who got punched one day on the way home from school?
4. When do Colin, Miranda and Annemarie work at the shop?
5. At what time of day was the show in #2 broadcast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Annemarie's father and the special attention he provides for his daughter.
2. Why is Miranda's mother so sad about her life?
3. Who is Sal and what is his role in Miranda's life?
4. Who is Marcus and what is his opinion on the book that Miranda always carries with her?
5. What do Miranda and Richard do with Miranda's mother each evening?
6. Who is Colin and what job does he get for himself, Miranda and Annemarie?
7. What is the ceramic bank and what does it contain?
8. What is the premise of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
9. What is the content of the mysterious notes and who is writing them?
10. Where does Miranda find the first note and what is its content?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Miranda's life. Where will she be living? Who will be present in her life? Will she have had any more experiences with time travel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Does Stead end the story on a note of hope for Miranda or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)