|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miranda do when she is afraid of someone on the street?
2. Miranda always carries around a book about ___________________.
3. What does Miranda's mother think about the note?
4. What meeting is held each month in the apartment building?
5. What job does Miranda have in the sandwich shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Miranda and her mother keep a spare key to the apartment?
2. Explain Miranda's mother's situation regarding her job and personal life.
3. What is Miranda's job when she helps out in the school office?
4. What are the two notes that Miranda finds and why are they so unsettling for Miranda?
5. Where does Miranda find the first note and what is its content?
6. What is the content of the mysterious notes and who is writing them?
7. Why is Miranda startled upon returning home from school one day?
8. What are the circumstances in which Miranda becomes friends with Annemarie?
9. What do Miranda and Richard do with Miranda's mother each evening?
10. Who is Sal and what is his role in Miranda's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rebecca Stead's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her style in WHEN YOU REACH ME.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Miranda's mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda's mother?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)