|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miranda always carries around a book about ___________________.
2. What does Miranda help her mother to practice?
3. What was Miranda's mother's career goal?
4. From whom does Miranda receive the notes?
5. What type of television show is the show in #2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that Julia does to annoy Miranda and Annemarie?
2. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
3. What is the climax of the novel?
4. Why is Miranda's mother so sad about her life?
5. What is the ceramic bank and what does it contain?
6. How does Miranda react to Julia's assertiveness in this section?
7. Why does Miranda start calling Julia "Swiss Miss"?
8. Who is Sal and what is his role in Miranda's life?
9. What does Miranda finally realize about Marcus and Julia?
10. How are Richard's birthday and Miranda's mother's win celebrated?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rebecca Stead's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her style in WHEN YOU REACH ME.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
WHEN YOU REACH ME is a classic science fiction and mystery novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)