|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The date on which Miranda's mother will be asked to appear on a TV show is predicted accurately via _____________.
2. What is notable about Quack?
3. How did the person in #39 feel after being punched?
4. Where does Miranda find a note in Chapter 17?
5. Who is Quack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
2. Where does Miranda find the first note and what is its content?
3. What has Miranda not noticed about Sal's behavior lately that might indicate that he wanted to withdraw from her for awhile?
4. Who is Marcus and what is his opinion on the book that Miranda always carries with her?
5. What is the ceramic bank and what does it contain?
6. How does the motif of time travel become introduced in the story?
7. What is one of the things Miranda's mother would like to do with the money if she should win at the game show?
8. What are the two notes that Miranda finds and why are they so unsettling for Miranda?
9. What does Miranda do when she encounters someone who frightens her?
10. Describe Miranda's encounter with the boy who punched Sal the day after Sal was hurt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of time travel will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of time travel throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Does Stead end the story on a note of hope for Miranda or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)