|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who punched the person in #39?
2. Who is Sal?
3. Where does the person in #50 ask Miranda to go?
4. At what time of day was the show in #2 broadcast?
5. The date on which Miranda's mother will be asked to appear on a TV show is predicted accurately via _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Miranda find the first note and what is its content?
2. Who is the main character of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
3. What does Miranda think she is named after?
4. Explain Miranda's mother's situation regarding her job and personal life.
5. Why is Miranda startled upon returning home from school one day?
6. Describe Miranda's encounter with the boy who punched Sal the day after Sal was hurt.
7. What does Miranda compare the game show postcard to in Chapter 1?
8. Who is Sal and what is his role in Miranda's life?
9. Who is Colin and what job does he get for himself, Miranda and Annemarie?
10. What is the ceramic bank and what does it contain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Stead choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Rebecca Stead is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)