|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miranda's mother is __________________.
2. What meeting is held each month in the apartment building?
3. Who convinces a sandwich shop owner to give jobs to Colin, Miranda and Annemarie?
4. Who is Sal's mother?
5. What unique habit does Quack have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Miranda's mother so sad about her life?
2. How does the motif of time travel become introduced in the story?
3. Who is the main character of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
4. Who is Marcus and what is his opinion on the book that Miranda always carries with her?
5. What is the premise of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
6. Describe Miranda's encounter with the boy who punched Sal the day after Sal was hurt.
7. Where do Miranda and her mother keep a spare key to the apartment?
8. What are the two notes that Miranda finds and why are they so unsettling for Miranda?
9. Why is Miranda startled upon returning home from school one day?
10. Where does Miranda find the first note and what is its content?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rebecca Stead's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her style in WHEN YOU REACH ME.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Miranda's mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda's mother?
Essay Topic 3
WHEN YOU REACH ME is a classic science fiction and mystery novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)