|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when the person in #39 gets punched?
2. What does Miranda's mother think about the note?
3. What do Miranda and Richard help Miranda's mother do every night?
4. What does the shop owner give Colin, Miranda and Annemarie for payment?
5. Who is Miranda's current best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the motif of time travel become introduced in the story?
2. What is one of the things Miranda's mother would like to do with the money if she should win at the game show?
3. What is the content of the mysterious notes and who is writing them?
4. Why is Miranda startled upon returning home from school one day?
5. What does Miranda think she is named after?
6. Who is Marcus and what is his opinion on the book that Miranda always carries with her?
7. Who is the main character of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
8. What does Miranda's mother think is the only good thing about living in their apartment building?
9. What is the nature of Miranda's mother's relationship with Richard?
10. What is the ceramic bank and what does it contain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WHEN YOU REACH ME is a classic science fiction and mystery novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rebecca Stead's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her style in WHEN YOU REACH ME.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)