|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author of the notes wants Miranda to mention ________________ in a story.
2. What month is it when the person in #39 gets punched?
3. When do Colin, Miranda and Annemarie work at the shop?
4. Who is Richard?
5. What do Miranda and her mother note is missing later that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Miranda and her mother keep a spare key to the apartment?
2. Who is the main character of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
3. What is the climax of the novel?
4. How does Miranda react to Julia's assertiveness in this section?
5. What do Marcus and Julia attempt to explain to Miranda one day?
6. What does Miranda do when she encounters someone who frightens her?
7. Who is Colin and what job does he get for himself, Miranda and Annemarie?
8. How does the motif of time travel become introduced in the story?
9. What does Sal tell Miranda about why he wanted to not be friends for awhile?
10. What does Miranda realize about her friendship with Sal after all?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Miranda. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda?
Essay Topic 3
WHEN YOU REACH ME is a classic science fiction and mystery novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)