|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade is Miranda in?
2. When do Colin, Miranda and Annemarie work at the shop?
3. Where does Miranda usually see Quack?
4. Where does Miranda invite Annemarie in Chapter 19?
5. What was Miranda's mother's career goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the main character of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
2. Describe Miranda's encounter with the boy who punched Sal the day after Sal was hurt.
3. What is the premise of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
4. What does Miranda's mother think is the only good thing about living in their apartment building?
5. Where does Miranda find the first note and what is its content?
6. What does Miranda compare the game show postcard to in Chapter 1?
7. What is the nature of Miranda's mother's relationship with Richard?
8. Explain Miranda's mother's situation regarding her job and personal life.
9. Describe Annemarie's father and the special attention he provides for his daughter.
10. How does the motif of time travel become introduced in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Marcus. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Marcus?
Essay Topic 3
Does Stead end the story on a note of hope for Miranda or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)