|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose mother wants to appear on the show in #2?
2. What does Miranda do after each of the meetings in #26?
3. What does Sal do alone after school?
4. What does Miranda's mother say is the only good thing about their apartment?
5. Who hosted the show in #2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Miranda and her mother keep a spare key to the apartment?
2. What does Miranda's mother think is the only good thing about living in their apartment building?
3. What is Miranda's job when she helps out in the school office?
4. What is the ceramic bank and what does it contain?
5. What is one of the things Miranda's mother would like to do with the money if she should win at the game show?
6. Where does Miranda find the first note and what is its content?
7. What does Miranda do when she encounters someone who frightens her?
8. What do Miranda and Richard do with Miranda's mother each evening?
9. What are the circumstances in which Miranda becomes friends with Annemarie?
10. Who is Quack and how does Miranda know him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
WHEN YOU REACH ME is a classic science fiction and mystery novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Miranda. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Miranda learn about the source of Julia's true anger? Explain.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)