|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose mother wants to appear on the show in #2?
2. Who punched the person in #39?
3. What does Miranda find at the sandwich shop?
4. Even though Miranda's mother is close to Richard she refuses to give him ___________________.
5. What does Sal do alone after school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the things Miranda's mother would like to do with the money if she should win at the game show?
2. Explain Miranda's mother's situation regarding her job and personal life.
3. Why is Miranda's mother so sad about her life?
4. Describe what happens when Miranda sees Sal get punched by a big boy on the street.
5. What does Miranda compare the game show postcard to in Chapter 1?
6. What has Miranda not noticed about Sal's behavior lately that might indicate that he wanted to withdraw from her for awhile?
7. What is the content of the mysterious notes and who is writing them?
8. How does the motif of time travel become introduced in the story?
9. What do Miranda and Richard do with Miranda's mother each evening?
10. What is the premise of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of time travel will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of time travel throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Miranda. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Miranda learn about the source of Julia's true anger? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Miranda's mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda's mother?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)