|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miranda ask the big boy who comes up behind her on the street?
2. What beverage does Annemarie's father give to Miranda but not to Annemarie?
3. Why could Miranda's mother not finish her university education?
4. How does Miranda feel about her apartment?
5. What causes Miranda and Sal to stop being friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal tell Miranda about why he wanted to not be friends for awhile?
2. What does Miranda realize about her friendship with Sal after all?
3. What is the premise of WHEN YOU REACH ME?
4. What is the nature of Miranda's mother's relationship with Richard?
5. What does Miranda finally realize about Marcus and Julia?
6. Why is Miranda startled upon returning home from school one day?
7. Why is Miranda happy when Julia is thrown out of the sandwich shop again?
8. How does Miranda react to Julia's assertiveness in this section?
9. Describe Annemarie's father and the special attention he provides for his daughter.
10. Why does Miranda start calling Julia "Swiss Miss"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rebecca Stead is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is an important theme in WHEN YOU REACH ME. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)