|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miranda do when she is afraid of someone on the street?
2. What does Annemarie's father like to do?
3. What is Miranda's mother's current state of mind?
4. What is Miranda's mother's current job?
5. From whom does Miranda receive the notes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ceramic bank and what does it contain?
2. How do Miranda and her mother differ in their feelings about Miranda's mother marrying Richard?
3. What does Miranda see scratched into the mailbox after the homeless man saves Sal?
4. Why are Annemarie, Colin and Miranda fired from their jobs and what do they do to try to get them back?
5. What does Miranda finally realize about Marcus and Julia?
6. Why does Miranda start calling Julia "Swiss Miss"?
7. What do Marcus and Julia attempt to explain to Miranda one day?
8. What arrives at Miranda's apartment to fulfill the last note from the writer?
9. What does Miranda's mother think is the only good thing about living in their apartment building?
10. How does the motif of time travel become introduced in the story?
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Miranda's mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Miranda's mother?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)