|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lady Beaton's first reaction to Christopher's proposal that he adopt Jennifer?
(a) Lady Beaton immediately leaves Christopher's presence.
(b) Lady Beaton recoils with suspicion.
(c) Lady Beaton immediately says yes.
(d) Lady Beaton laughs out loud.
2. What does Christopher think about the quality of his memory of the Shanghai garden?
(a) Christopher thinks his memory of the lawn is a child's vision, and the garden was in reality not so grand.
(b) Christopher thinks his memory is too simple, and the garden was probably far grander than he recalls.
(c) Christopher is unsure if he is remembering his own garden or Akira's.
(d) Christopher thinks his memory is highly accurate, despite all the years that have passed since he left Shanghai.
3. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
(a) Sarah pleads with Christopher to take her to a dance.
(b) Sarah puts Christopher down in front of the whole room.
(c) Sarah nods in recognition, but otherwise ignores Christopher.
(d) Sarah greets Christopher warmly.
4. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
(a) Sir Cecil Medhurst.
(b) Inspector Kung.
(c) Sarah Hemmings.
(d) James Osbourne.
5. How do Akira and Christopher dress when they play outside?
(a) Shirts, shorts and on hotter days, a sunhat.
(b) Short pants and jackets, and on hotter days, a sunhat.
(c) Pants, shirts and baseball caps.
(d) Traditional Chinese clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jennifer live before Christopher adopts her?
2. What does Christopher's mother call the plump-faced man?
3. What becomes of Ling Tien's bottle of lotion?
4. How does Sarah get into the Foundation dinner without an invitation?
5. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Christopher finally sees Akira after Mr. Banks disappearance, how does Akira behave?
2. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
3. Describe Sir Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation Dinner.
4. What does Akira believe about Ling Tien?
5. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
6. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
7. What happens to Christopher and Sarah at David Corbett's luncheon on Lower Regent Street?
8. What does Akira say when Christopher asks if his parents sometime stop talking to each other?
9. How does the Emery case wrap up?
10. What is the "dining room episode?"
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)