|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Akira's reaction when he discovers a tear in his kimono?
(a) Akira is glad because the kimono belongs to his sister.
(b) Akira is afraid his mother and father will make him go back to Japan.
(c) Akira laughs and says it would be silly to get upset over a tear in a coat.
(d) Akira weeps and rolls on the ground.
2. According to Osbourne, Christopher always used to quiz him about what?
(a) Osbourne's study regimen.
(b) Osbourne's being "well-connected."
(c) Osbourne's diet.
(d) Osbourne's romantic conquests.
3. What is odd about Mr. Banks's behavior in the fall that Akira is away?
(a) Mr. Banks begins losing his mind.
(b) Mr. Banks begins boasting.
(c) Mr. Banks is frequently out of sight.
(d) Mr. Banks loses his temper on a daily basis.
4. How do Akira and Christopher dress when they play outside?
(a) Short pants and jackets, and on hotter days, a sunhat.
(b) Shirts, shorts and on hotter days, a sunhat.
(c) Pants, shirts and baseball caps.
(d) Traditional Chinese clothing.
5. How does Osbourne offend Christopher?
(a) Osbourne calls Christopher's mother a "loose woman."
(b) Osbourne claims Christopher was "such an odd bird in school."
(c) Osbourne insults Christopher's cooking.
(d) Osbourne breaks Christopher's china.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Christopher from developing the level of intimacy with his English school friends that he developed with Akira?
2. How does Christopher remember Uncle Philip's office?
3. How old are Akira and Christopher when they finally enter Ling Tien's room?
4. What is the effect of Akira's story on Christopher?
5. Whom does Christopher discover waiting for him when he arrives outside the Meredith Foundation dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christopher feel about Akira the summer prior to his friend's leaving for school in Nagasaki?
2. When Christopher finally sees Akira after Mr. Banks disappearance, how does Akira behave?
3. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
4. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
5. What does Sarah tell Christopher about marriage?
6. What does Christopher learn about Inspector Kung from Morgan?
7. How does the Emery case wrap up?
8. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
9. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
10. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)