|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what terms do Christopher and Sarah leave after the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Christopher and Sarah leave in love with one another.
(b) Christopher and Sarah leave suspicious of one another.
(c) Christopher and Sarah leave on friendly terms.
(d) Christopher and Sarah leave quite angry with one another.
2. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of the plump-faced man's visit?
(a) Uncle Phillip seemed not to be on Christopher's family's side.
(b) Uncle Philip had just gotten a hair cut.
(c) Uncle Philip had a big wad of money.
(d) Uncle Philip seemed to be preoccupied.
3. What are Miss Givens and Jennifer doing when they return from shopping?
(c) Holding hands.
4. How does Akira respond when Christopher asks him if he will have to go and live in Japan?
(a) Akira says he will go to Japan in two years.
(b) Akira says he will stay in Shanghai forever.
(c) Akira says he will go to Japan in one year.
(d) Akira says he will got to Japan in four years.
5. What is the Banks' "library" like?
(a) An anteroom with walls lined with books.
(b) The largest room in the house with miles and miles of books.
(c) A small, dark room in the basement with a few encyclopedia volumes.
(d) A nook in the kitchen housing a shelf of classic works.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Christopher to unravel the mystery of Charles Emory's death?
2. How many days pass before Christopher sees Akira on Etsuko's bicycle?
3. What does Christopher remember about the days immediately following his failure to take the lotion back to Ling Tien's room?
4. What does Christopher suspect happened to Akira in Japan?
5. What kind of establishment is the Dorchester?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christopher receive his magnifying glass?
2. How is Christopher's relationship with Mei Li transformed by his mother's abduction?
3. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
4. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
5. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
6. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
7. How does Christopher spend his time in the summer of 1923?
8. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
9. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
10. How is Jennifer's nanny selected?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)