|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter one Christopher remembers coming from Cambridge to London in the summer of which year?
2. What becomes of Ling Tien's bottle of lotion?
(a) Akira's sister returns it.
(b) Akira burns it in the fireplace.
(c) Akira buries it in his backyard.
(d) Akira's mother finds it and scolds him.
3. What is Christopher's relationship to James Osbourne?
(a) They play football together.
(b) They are cricket teammates.
(c) They belong to the same club.
(d) They are old school friends.
4. What kind of person is the Banks's typical house guest in Shanghai?
(a) A young English woman sent on a tour of the far east by her wealthy parents.
(b) An old English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(c) A middle-aged English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(d) A young man who brings with him the air of English lanes, meadows and foggy streets.
5. Where are Mr. Banks and Christopher when Mr. Banks brings up the time Christopher and his mother "burst in" on him?
(a) Mr. Banks's study.
(b) Their backyard.
(c) Downtown Shanghai.
(d) The Public Gardens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher's response to Sarah's proposal that he take her to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
2. How does Christopher remember Uncle Philip's office?
3. Who causes Christopher to lower his guard?
4. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
5. Where does Christopher unexpectedly reunite with Colonel Chamberlain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jennifer's nanny selected?
2. What does Christopher remember about the days following his father's disappearance?
3. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
4. Who is the plump-faced man in Christopher's newspaper photograph?
5. How does the Emery case wrap up?
6. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
7. What does Sarah tell Christopher about marriage?
8. How does Christopher spend his time in the summer of 1923?
9. Why does Christopher consider inviting Chamberlain to the Dorchester "the height of inconsideration?"
10. How does Christopher receive his magnifying glass?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)