|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
2. According to Akira, why do Christopher's parents stop speaking to one another?
(a) Because Christopher is "not enough Englishman."
(b) Because Akira is "not enough Japanese."
(c) Because Christopher's parents have hurt each other's feelings.
(d) Because Christopher's mother objects to her husband's work.
3. What is Akira's reaction when he discovers a tear in his kimono?
(a) Akira weeps and rolls on the ground.
(b) Akira laughs and says it would be silly to get upset over a tear in a coat.
(c) Akira is glad because the kimono belongs to his sister.
(d) Akira is afraid his mother and father will make him go back to Japan.
4. How does Christopher describe Miss Givens's smiles?
5. Upon his return, how does Akira respond to Christopher's questions about his experiences in Japan?
(a) Akira goes on and on with his many stories until Christopher is quite bored.
(b) Akira recounts a bitter tale of his alienation from the boys in the Nagasaki school.
(c) Akira persuades Christopher it would be childish to discuss such matters.
(d) Akira is silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Colonel Chamberlain's relationship to Christopher?
2. What happens to Christopher's father the day after the lotion theft?
3. What is Christopher's memory of Akira's house?
4. At what age did Christopher and Akira begin playing on the mound in the garden?
5. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
2. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
3. How is Christopher and Akira's friendship when Akira returns from Japan?
4. What happens after Uncle Philip leaves Christopher?
5. What does Sarah tell Christopher about marriage?
6. Describe an instance of Mr. Banks boasting.
7. Why does Christopher consider inviting Chamberlain to the Dorchester "the height of inconsideration?"
8. How does Akira feel after stealing Ling Tien's lotion?
9. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
10. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of Wang Ku's visit?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)