|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jennifer live before Christopher adopts her?
2. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
(a) Sarah pleads with Christopher to take her to a dance.
(b) Sarah nods in recognition, but otherwise ignores Christopher.
(c) Sarah greets Christopher warmly.
(d) Sarah puts Christopher down in front of the whole room.
3. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
4. What does the health inspector from Morganbrook and Byatt urge Mrs. Banks to do?
(a) Leave Shanghai immediately.
(b) Watch the New Year's parade.
(c) Leave her husband.
(d) Get rid of the servants.
5. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
(a) In a motorcar.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) On foot.
(d) On bicycles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christopher remember about the days immediately following his failure to take the lotion back to Ling Tien's room?
2. What is Christopher's initial explanation for Akira's reverence for Mrs. Banks?
3. How does Christopher remember Uncle Philip's office?
4. How does Christopher get back to his house?
5. As a child what is Christopher's feeling about his ambition to become a great detective?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the disappearance of Jennifer's trunk?
2. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
3. What is the "dining room episode?"
4. How does Christopher receive his magnifying glass?
5. Describe the visit of the health inspector to Christopher's home in Shanghai.
6. Who is Uncle Philip?
7. How does the Emery case wrap up?
8. What does Sarah tell Christopher about marriage?
9. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
10. Describe two examples of what Christopher refers to as "someone disapproving him and only just managing to conceal it."
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)