|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Christopher's friends give him for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) A croquet set.
(b) A cricket bat.
(c) A magnifying glass.
(d) A woopie cushion.
2. As a child what is Christopher's feeling about his ambition to become a great detective?
(a) He feels it is something he ought to keep to himself.
(b) He feels like he may give it up to become a fireman.
(c) He feels he must tell absolutely everyone.
(d) He feels deeply ashamed of his ambition.
3. How does Christopher feel about Uncle Philip?
(a) Christopher is quite fond of him.
(b) Christopher is irritated by him.
(c) Christopher is afraid of him.
(d) Christopher is secretly in love with him.
4. Who does young Christopher see being very familiar with the plump-faced man?
(b) Uncle Philip.
(c) Christopher's mother.
(d) Christopher's father.
5. Where do the guests go after the meal and the speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) The parlor.
(b) A fashionable club across the street.
(c) The billiard room.
(d) The ballroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do Christopher and Akira invent?
2. What musical instrument does Uncle Philip encourage Christopher to go with him to see?
3. What prevents Christopher from developing the level of intimacy with his English school friends that he developed with Akira?
4. Where does Akira go at the end of the summer?
5. When does Christopher speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Uncle Philip leaves Christopher?
2. Describe Christopher's residence in 1937.
3. Who is Uncle Philip?
4. How is Christopher's relationship with Mei Li transformed by his mother's abduction?
5. Describe two examples of what Christopher refers to as "someone disapproving him and only just managing to conceal it."
6. What does Christopher remember about the days following his father's disappearance?
7. How does Miss Hemmings gain admittance to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
8. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
9. What is significant about the disappearance of Jennifer's trunk?
10. What is the "dining room episode?"
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)