|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
(a) Go to town with his Uncle Philip.
(b) Leave the adults alone in the dining room.
(c) Go to Akira's house.
(d) Serve cocktails for those attending the meeting.
2. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
(a) Selling children into slavery.
(b) Turning severed hands into spiders.
(c) Playing cricket.
(d) Luring children into his room and turning them into monkies.
3. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
(a) Sir Cecil Medhurst.
(b) James Osbourne.
(c) Inspector Kung.
(d) Sarah Hemmings.
4. While pondering a case in Kensington Gardens, Christopher runs in to which character?
(a) Colonel Chamberlain.
(b) James Osbourne.
(c) Sarah Hemmings.
(d) Joe Turner.
5. Where do Christopher and Sarah converse at the end of the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) On the subway.
(b) On the curb waiting for a cab.
(c) On one of the balconies of the ballroom.
(d) In the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
2. How does Mei Li regard Christopher's education?
3. What is Christopher's relationship to James Osbourne?
4. How does Christopher feel about Uncle Philip?
5. Where does Jennifer live before Christopher adopts her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
2. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
3. Describe an instance of Mr. Banks boasting.
4. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
5. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
6. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
7. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
8. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
9. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
10. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)