|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Banks tell Christopher to reassure him?
(a) The city's very best detectives are working on the case.
(b) Chinese Intelligence knows where Christopher's father is.
(c) British Intelligence knows where Christopher's father is.
(d) Christopher's father knows how to handle himself.
2. What is the date of Part III?
(a) November 30, 1937.
(b) Novermber 8, 1931.
(c) April 12, 1937.
(d) April 30, 1931.
3. What is Christopher's relationship to James Osbourne?
(a) They are cricket teammates.
(b) They play football together.
(c) They belong to the same club.
(d) They are old school friends.
4. What areas of Shanghai is young Christopher forbidden to enter?
(a) The Japanese areas.
(b) The Chinese areas.
(c) The American areas.
(d) The English areas.
5. What does Christopher think about the quality of his memory of the Shanghai garden?
(a) Christopher is unsure if he is remembering his own garden or Akira's.
(b) Christopher thinks his memory is too simple, and the garden was probably far grander than he recalls.
(c) Christopher thinks his memory of the lawn is a child's vision, and the garden was in reality not so grand.
(d) Christopher thinks his memory is highly accurate, despite all the years that have passed since he left Shanghai.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
2. What is odd about Mr. Banks's behavior in the fall that Akira is away?
3. How does Sarah get into the Foundation dinner without an invitation?
4. What is the first question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
5. How does Akira respond when Christopher asks him if he will have to go and live in Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
2. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
3. Describe Sir Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation Dinner.
4. How does Christopher tend to remember his boyhood companion Akira?
5. What happens after Uncle Philip leaves Christopher?
6. Describe two examples of what Christopher refers to as "someone disapproving him and only just managing to conceal it."
7. Where is Christopher's father's study and what are the rules about it?
8. Who is the plump-faced man in Christopher's newspaper photograph?
9. When Christopher finally sees Akira after Mr. Banks disappearance, how does Akira behave?
10. What does Akira believe about Ling Tien?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)