|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Uncle Philip's relationship to the Banks?
(a) Philip is Mrs. Banks brother.
(b) Philip is Mr. Banks brother.
(c) Philip is Mrs. Banks uncle.
(d) Philip is a close family friend, not a real uncle to any of them.
2. What is the effect of Akira's story on Christopher?
(a) The story makes Christopher afraid of Akira.
(b) Christopher is upset by the story.
(c) The story inspires Christopher to dabble in magic.
(d) Christopher is highly pleased by the story.
3. According to Akira, why do Christopher's parents stop speaking to one another?
(a) Because Christopher is "not enough Englishman."
(b) Because Christopher's parents have hurt each other's feelings.
(c) Because Christopher's mother objects to her husband's work.
(d) Because Akira is "not enough Japanese."
4. What does Christopher think about the quality of his memory of the Shanghai garden?
(a) Christopher is unsure if he is remembering his own garden or Akira's.
(b) Christopher thinks his memory of the lawn is a child's vision, and the garden was in reality not so grand.
(c) Christopher thinks his memory is highly accurate, despite all the years that have passed since he left Shanghai.
(d) Christopher thinks his memory is too simple, and the garden was probably far grander than he recalls.
5. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
(a) On bicycles.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) In a motorcar.
(d) On foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of establishment is the Dorchester?
2. How many days pass before Christopher sees Akira on Etsuko's bicycle?
3. What are Miss Givens and Jennifer doing when they return from shopping?
4. What does Christopher overhear one day while working on his lessons with Mei Li in the library?
5. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the visit of the health inspector to Christopher's home in Shanghai.
2. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
3. How does Christopher spend his time in the summer of 1923?
4. When Christopher finally sees Akira after Mr. Banks disappearance, how does Akira behave?
5. How is Christopher's relationship with Mei Li transformed by his mother's abduction?
6. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
7. What happens to Christopher and Sarah at David Corbett's luncheon on Lower Regent Street?
8. What is significant about the disappearance of Jennifer's trunk?
9. How does Akira feel after stealing Ling Tien's lotion?
10. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)