|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who causes Christopher to lower his guard?
(a) Christopher's mother.
(b) Christopher's father.
(d) Uncle Philip.
2. After leading Christopher in the crowded city center, what does Uncle Philip do?
(a) Uncle Philip buys Christopher and accordion.
(b) Uncle Philip begins laughing hysterically.
(c) Uncle Philip buys Christopher an ice cream cone.
(d) Uncle Philip abandons Christopher in the crowd.
3. What does Uncle Philip do every time Christopher visits his office?
(a) Uncle Philip gives Christopher a present.
(b) Uncle Philip takes Christopher out for ice cream.
(c) Uncle Philip allows Christopher to drink a little whisky.
(d) Uncle Philip acts very "put-off" with Christopher.
4. What does Christopher overhear one day while working on his lessons with Mei Li in the library?
(a) A secret meeting on the opium trade.
(b) A band of thieves breaking into the house.
(c) A lively party.
(d) A bitter quarrel between his parents.
5. What does the silver-haired man offer Christopher?
(a) The silver-haired man offers Christopher his shoes.
(b) The silver-haired man offers to tell Christopher who everyone is and introduce him if he likes.
(c) The silver-haired man offers to sneak Christopher out of the party through the back door.
(d) The silver-haired man offers to loan Christopher his car.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christopher describe the atmosphere at breakfast on the days of the campaign meetings.
2. How does Miss Givens strike Christopher in her interview?
3. How old are Akira and Christopher when they finally enter Ling Tien's room?
4. Where is Mr. Banks's study?
5. How long does it take Christopher to unravel the mystery of Charles Emory's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Emery case wrap up?
2. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
3. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
4. Why does Christopher consider inviting Chamberlain to the Dorchester "the height of inconsideration?"
5. What does Christopher remember about the days following his father's disappearance?
6. Where is Christopher's father's study and what are the rules about it?
7. Who is the plump-faced man in Christopher's newspaper photograph?
8. How is Christopher and Akira's friendship when Akira returns from Japan?
9. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
10. How does Uncle Philip set the stage for Christopher's mother's abduction?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)