|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does young Christopher see being very familiar with the plump-faced man?
(a) Uncle Philip.
(b) Christopher's mother.
(d) Christopher's father.
2. Where is Mr. Banks's study?
(a) In London.
(b) At the British consulate.
(c) On the uppermost floor of the house.
(d) Next door to Uncle Philip's office.
3. What are Miss Givens and Jennifer doing when they return from shopping?
(d) Holding hands.
4. What prevents Christopher from developing the level of intimacy with his English school friends that he developed with Akira?
(a) Christopher is taken out of English school.
(b) The English boys make Christopher the butt of their jokes.
(c) The English boys refuse to speak to Christopher.
(d) Christopher finds the English boys entirely unappealing.
5. What is the second question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil would like a drink from his flask.
(b) Christopher asks if Sir Cecil would like his assistance in solving the mystery of his disappearing cigar box.
(c) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil happened to meet Akira.
(d) Christopher asks how Sir Cecil met Sarah.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
2. What does Christopher suspect happened to Akira in Japan?
3. After leading Christopher in the crowded city center, what does Uncle Philip do?
4. What is Akira's reaction when he discovers a tear in his kimono?
5. In the summer of the visit to Uncle Philip's office, what behavior of Akira's does Christopher begin to find particularly irksome?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
2. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
3. Where is Christopher's father's study and what are the rules about it?
4. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
5. Who is the plump-faced man in Christopher's newspaper photograph?
6. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
7. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of Wang Ku's visit?
8. How does Christopher receive his magnifying glass?
9. What is significant about the disappearance of Jennifer's trunk?
10. Describe the visit of the health inspector to Christopher's home in Shanghai.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)