|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Colonel Chamberlain's relationship to Christopher?
(a) The Colonel becomes Christopher's guardian when he comes to London.
(b) The Colonel takes Christopher from Shanghai to England after his parents' abductions.
(c) The Colonel is Christopher's second cousin.
(d) The Colonel is Christopher's uncle.
2. What is Christopher's initial response to the plump-faced man?
(a) The plump-faced man captures Christopher's rapt attention.
(b) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with pity.
(c) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with fear.
(d) The plump-faced man does not much excite Christopher's interest.
3. What does Mrs. Banks tell Christopher to reassure him?
(a) Christopher's father knows how to handle himself.
(b) British Intelligence knows where Christopher's father is.
(c) The city's very best detectives are working on the case.
(d) Chinese Intelligence knows where Christopher's father is.
4. What is the first question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks him if he has any crimes that need to be solved.
(b) Christopher asks him if he has a drink.
(c) Christopher asks him if he knows Sarah Hemmings.
(d) Christopher asks if he has spent any time recently in Shanghai.
5. What musical instrument does Uncle Philip encourage Christopher to go with him to see?
(a) A violin.
(b) A flute.
(c) A piano.
(d) A piano accordion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Christopher's father the day after the lotion theft?
2. What does the silver-haired man offer Christopher?
3. What is Christopher's reaction to the "bursting-in" moment his father referred to?
4. What does Jennifer just barely avoid knocking over?
5. What is Uncle Philip's relationship to the Banks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Uncle Philip?
2. Describe the visit of the health inspector to Christopher's home in Shanghai.
3. How does Christopher tend to remember his boyhood companion Akira?
4. What is the "dining room episode?"
5. Why does Christopher consider inviting Chamberlain to the Dorchester "the height of inconsideration?"
6. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
7. Describe two examples of what Christopher refers to as "someone disapproving him and only just managing to conceal it."
8. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
9. Describe Ling Tien.
10. Where is Christopher's father's study and what are the rules about it?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)