|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christopher has an argument over the pronunciation of which English expression?
(b) Old chap.
2. Why does Christopher tell Colonel Chamberlain that he doesn't think it will be necessary for him to go to England?
(a) Christopher tells Chamberlain he can get on in Shanghai by himself.
(b) Christopher tells Chamberlain the very best detectives are working on the case of his parents' disappearance.
(c) Christopher tells Chamberlain his parents will return from a trip very soon.
(d) Christopher tells Chamberlain he is a detective and will solve the mystery of his parents' disappearance.
3. Where does Christopher unexpectedly reunite with Colonel Chamberlain?
(a) In the Palm Court of the Waldorf.
(b) In a bookshop on Charing Cross Road.
(c) At the Lucky Chance Club.
(d) In a crowded square in Shanghai.
4. How does Osbourne offend Christopher?
(a) Osbourne breaks Christopher's china.
(b) Osbourne claims Christopher was "such an odd bird in school."
(c) Osbourne calls Christopher's mother a "loose woman."
(d) Osbourne insults Christopher's cooking.
5. In what year does Christopher hear of Jennifer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roger Brenthurst say about Christopher in high school?
2. What does Christopher's mother say when he rushes to the door?
3. What does Christopher overhear one day while working on his lessons with Mei Li in the library?
4. What kind of tree rises out of the mound in Christopher's garden in Shanghai?
5. What does the health inspector from Morganbrook and Byatt urge Mrs. Banks to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah tell Christopher about marriage?
2. What does Akira believe about Ling Tien?
3. What is significant about the disappearance of Jennifer's trunk?
4. Describe Sir Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation Dinner.
5. What does Akira say when Christopher asks if his parents sometime stop talking to each other?
6. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
7. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
8. Describe an instance of Mr. Banks boasting.
9. Where is Christopher's father's study and what are the rules about it?
10. What does Christopher remember about the days following his father's disappearance?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)