|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sarah say to Christopher about the Foundation dinner?
(a) Sarah says it has been a passable evening.
(b) Sarah says it has been an embarrassing evening.
(c) Sarah says it has been a marvelous evening.
(d) Sarah says it has been a dull evening.
2. What is the second question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks if Sir Cecil would like his assistance in solving the mystery of his disappearing cigar box.
(b) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil happened to meet Akira.
(c) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil would like a drink from his flask.
(d) Christopher asks how Sir Cecil met Sarah.
3. Years later what does Christopher recognize about the plump-faced man?
(a) His face.
(b) His cap, gown and pigtail.
(c) His smile.
(d) The cigar he smokes.
4. Where does Akira go at the end of the summer?
(a) Akira vanishes, and Christopher never learns where he goes.
(b) Akira goes to London.
(c) Akira goes to school in Japan.
(d) Akira goes to a Chinese concentration camp.
5. What is Christopher's initial response to the plump-faced man?
(a) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with pity.
(b) The plump-faced man does not much excite Christopher's interest.
(c) The plump-faced man captures Christopher's rapt attention.
(d) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of the plump-faced man's visit?
2. How does Miss Givens strike Christopher in her interview?
3. How does remembering the end of his relationship with Uncle Philip make Christopher feel?
4. Where is Mr. Banks's study?
5. What does Christopher remember about the days immediately following his failure to take the lotion back to Ling Tien's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Christopher's father's study and what are the rules about it?
2. How is Jennifer's nanny selected?
3. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
4. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
5. How does Miss Hemmings gain admittance to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
6. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
7. What does Sarah tell Christopher about marriage?
8. What does Akira believe about Ling Tien?
9. How does Christopher tend to remember his boyhood companion Akira?
10. What happens after Uncle Philip leaves Christopher?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)