|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the effect of Akira's story on Christopher?
(a) The story inspires Christopher to dabble in magic.
(b) The story makes Christopher afraid of Akira.
(c) Christopher is upset by the story.
(d) Christopher is highly pleased by the story.
2. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
(a) Sarah puts Christopher down in front of the whole room.
(b) Sarah greets Christopher warmly.
(c) Sarah nods in recognition, but otherwise ignores Christopher.
(d) Sarah pleads with Christopher to take her to a dance.
3. What is the Banks' "library" like?
(a) The largest room in the house with miles and miles of books.
(b) A small, dark room in the basement with a few encyclopedia volumes.
(c) A nook in the kitchen housing a shelf of classic works.
(d) An anteroom with walls lined with books.
4. What is Lady Beaton's first reaction to Christopher's proposal that he adopt Jennifer?
(a) Lady Beaton laughs out loud.
(b) Lady Beaton recoils with suspicion.
(c) Lady Beaton immediately says yes.
(d) Lady Beaton immediately leaves Christopher's presence.
5. What happens to Christopher's father the day after the lotion theft?
(a) Christopher's father is fired from Morganbrook and Byatt.
(b) Christopher's father disappears.
(c) Christopher's father falls off a horse.
(d) Christopher's father is hit by a car.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what terms do Christopher and Sarah leave after the Meredith Foundation dinner?
2. What areas of Shanghai is young Christopher forbidden to enter?
3. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
4. What composer's music underscores Christopher and Sarah's conversation at the end of the Foundation dinner?
5. What does Christopher's mother say when he rushes to the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
2. What happens after Uncle Philip leaves Christopher?
3. How does Christopher spend his time in the summer of 1923?
4. Why does Christopher consider inviting Chamberlain to the Dorchester "the height of inconsideration?"
5. How does Christopher tend to remember his boyhood companion Akira?
6. What happens to Christopher and Sarah at David Corbett's luncheon on Lower Regent Street?
7. How does Christopher receive his magnifying glass?
8. How does Christopher feel about Akira the summer prior to his friend's leaving for school in Nagasaki?
9. Describe two examples of what Christopher refers to as "someone disapproving him and only just managing to conceal it."
10. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)