|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andy think might be the source of the sound they hear just after daylight the next morning?
(a) The farmer's pickup
(c) Farm machinery
(d) The Tripods
2. What does Ilse's parents do?
(a) Run a general store in Switzerland
(b) Run a guesthouse in Switzerland
(c) Run an antique business in Switzerland
(d) Run a guesthouse in Dartmoor
3. What does Angela do while Dr. Monmouth is talking to Laurie and the others?
(a) Goes for a walk
(b) Plays with her dolls
(c) Sneaks out of the house
(d) Watches the Trippy show
4. What does Andy say the Tripod looks like?
(a) A mechanical clown
(b) A futuristic robot
(c) A submarine
(d) A torpedo
5. Who does Martha call after Ian leaves?
(d) The police
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT the site of a landing during the initial contact?
2. What is the government reaction when it's discovered that the Trippy Show is being broadcast from outer space?
3. How many were actually made?
4. How many tentacles do the boys see after the arrival of the tank?
5. Why is Ilse going to Switzerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the Trippy show that Laurie sees for the first time.
2. What is the reaction of police when people are reported missing and why?
3. What does Wild Bill say each of the Tripods did after they landed the first time?
4. How does the author say the Tripods came to inhabit the Earth?
5. What does the author say about a science fiction writer's ability to predict the future?
6. What does Laurie say is the difference between his calling Ilse by her name and Andy calling Miranda by her name?
7. Why does Ilse offer Laurie cookies and why does he refuse?
8. What does Laurie say about the attention he and Andy receive because they witnessed the Tripod?
9. What are some of the ways the boys try to explain away the sounds and sight of the Tripod?
10. What does the article from the Daily Mail suggest about the Trippy Show?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)