|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nickname Nathanael's parents use for him in informal situations?
(b) There isn't one
2. How tall does Laurie say the Tripod is?
(a) As tall as King Kong
(b) Thirty meters
(c) Eighty meters
(d) Fifty meters
3. What is the name of the family's boat?
(a) The Flying Pie
(c) Edward Scissorhands
(d) The Angel
4. Who is Martha?
(a) Laurie's grandmother
(b) Laurie's sister
(c) Laurie's stepmother
(d) Laurie's mother
5. How was the Tripod that landed in the United States destroyed?
(a) By fighter-bombers
(b) By a nuclear missile
(c) By military tanks
(d) It self-destructed
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Martha call after Ian leaves?
2. Who is Hilda Goossens?
3. How is the farmer dressed when he runs out of the house?
4. What kind of car does Uncle Ian drive?
5. What does Pa do with Uncle Ian's briefcase?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Laurie and Andy in the shed near the farmhouse when the Tripods arrive?
2. What is Angela's reaction when she learns that Laurie hadn't taped the Trippy show?
3. What are some of the ways the boys try to explain away the sounds and sight of the Tripod?
4. How does the author say the Tripods came to inhabit the Earth?
5. Describe Laurie's father.
6. What does the author say about a science fiction writer's ability to predict the future?
7. What does Wild Bill say each of the Tripods did after they landed the first time?
8. What are the objections the science fiction writer has to the storyline of the Tripods?
9. What does Laurie say is the difference between his calling Ilse by her name and Andy calling Miranda by her name?
10. Briefly describe Andy and Laurie's sighting of the Tripod.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)