|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rudi say is the most important fact about the Tripod's patrol through the valley?
(a) That they steer clear of snow
(b) That they no longer patrol
(c) That they will be traveling in teams
(d) That they now patrol only in summer
2. What causes Ilse's mother's death?
(a) She jumps from a cliff
(b) She freezes to death
(c) There's no apparent cause
(d) She has a heart attack
3. How often does the Tripod patrol the area?
(a) Every month
(b) Every fourth day
(c) Every hour
(d) Every week
4. What does Laurie learn happened to Ilse's father during the night he was gone?
(a) He recovered
(b) He ran away to be Capped
(c) He had another attack and was taken to the hospital
(d) He died
5. What does Rudi's mother give to Rudi and Laurie?
(a) Lemonade and cake
(c) Cookies and milk
(d) Permission to watch television
6. What kind of animals are seen by the group as they head up the mountain?
(a) Deer and an eagle
(b) Elk and a flock of geese
(c) A bear and a stray dog
(d) Beaver and hawks
7. Who does Pa say is in charge when they arrive in Guernsey?
(a) The Capped
(b) The Royal Family
(c) The uncapped
(d) The police
8. What do the boys call Andy and Laurie when they are at a gift shop at a train station?
(c) Dirty English
9. How many Tripods come to check out the wreck of the destroyed Tripod?
10. What is on the terrace?
(a) A hammock
(b) A telescope
(c) A swing
(d) A radio
11. What happens to the destroyed Tripod after the snow melts, leaving it exposed?
(a) The other Tripods arrive and it's burned
(b) The sun causes it to burn
(c) The snow never melts away
(d) It revives and walks away
12. Where does Laurie plan to get the present he's going to give Angela?
(a) He's going to ask Ilse to make it
(b) From a nearby farm
(c) From the hotel
(d) From the village
13. How does Laurie greet Ilse when he first sees her?
(a) Yells at her
(b) Hugs her
(c) Gives her his gift
(d) Shakes her hand
14. What does Martha cook during the trip?
(a) Beans and potatoes
(d) Shrimp and steak
15. What does the pilot say might be a problem with landing in Geneva?
(a) Permission to land
(c) He doesn't know the way
(d) The military will shoot them down
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the pilot say when Pa demands that he set a course for Geneva?
2. What do they learn from a man at the airport about the Tripods?
3. What does Rudi's mother say will soon happen to the study of science?
4. What animals are there at the guesthouse?
5. What does Pa do that he believes will render the Cap harmless?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)