|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the men say they'll take the three boys to be Capped?
(a) The church
(b) The police station
(c) The jail
(d) The city hall
2. What does Pa say he has a right to do because Laurie and Andy disobeyed him?
(a) Beat them
(b) Cap them
(c) Talk to them
(d) Take them home
3. What do the boys call Andy and Laurie when they are at a gift shop at a train station?
(b) Dirty English
4. What excuse does Laurie give for wanting to see Andy?
(a) He has brought Andy's clean clothes
(b) He wants to talk Andy into being Capped
(c) He has brought books
(d) He wants to talk Andy out of being Capped
5. How are the soldiers armed when the family arrives in Switzerland?
(a) They aren't armed
(b) With small caliber pistols
(c) With automatic weapons
(d) With a variety of weapons
6. What color are the permanent Caps implanted onto the skulls of people?
(b) Various colors
7. What do they learn from a man at the airport about the Tripods?
(a) That they've produced millions of Caps
(b) That they're on the verge of defeat
(c) That they've left the Earth's orbit
(d) That they've returned to complete their mission
8. What warning is there that France and Germany are about to invade Switzerland?
(a) No warning at all
(b) Newspaper reports
(c) Broadcasts from an underground radio
(d) Only rumors
9. How much food do they discover at the hotel?
(a) Enough for a couple of weeks
(c) Only enough for a couple of meals
10. What does Pa do that he believes will render the Cap harmless?
(a) Removes a battery
(b) Lines it with metal
(c) Pokes holes in it
(d) Cuts some wires
11. Who is in the party that sets off the avalanche?
(a) Andy, Laurie and Yone
(b) Pa, Andy and Laurie
(c) Karl, Hanna and Rudi
(d) Yone, Pa and Laurie
12. What does Laurie say about the reason Tripods don't come until after the snow is melted?
(a) That the Tripods didn't want to lose any more units
(b) That the Tripods couldn't navigate in the snow
(c) That they'd been there earlier but hadn't been seen
(d) That the beacon was buried under the snow
13. Where does Laurie plan to get the present he's going to give Angela?
(a) From the hotel
(b) From a nearby farm
(c) He's going to ask Ilse to make it
(d) From the village
14. Who does the cooking for the group after Ilse's mother dies?
(a) They take turns
15. Who is living at the guesthouse when Laurie and his family arrive?
(a) Ilse's parents and grandparents and several servants
(b) Ilse's extended family
(c) Ilse's parents, a gardener, a handyman and two maids
(d) Only Ilse's parents and a handyman
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rudi?
2. What does Angela buy Ilse for her birthday gift?
3. What does Laurie buy in the village after the villagers are Capped?
4. What is the weather like when they reach the dock?
5. How long is the family told they can stay in the country?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)