|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when rumors start to buzz around the exchange about Sean and Duff?
2. What does Sean plan to do to protest Katrina's request?
3. Why is Katrina upset at the end of the book?
4. Why is Sean anxious to return to camp to help the women?
5. How does Sean almost get trampled by an elephant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katrina want to leave Johannesburg?
2. Duff and Sean didn't believe Max when he first approached them in Chapter 28. What factors influence them and make them change their mind?
3. Sean is relieved after the takeover. Why?
4. How does the Christmas celebration in Chapter 24 differ from the previous year?
5. Sean is anxious to help the women at the Leroux camp. Why? Why does he continue going out of his way to be helpful?
6. Describe the actions leading up to Sean's attack. Should he have tried to save the dogs or should he have tried to escape?
7. What does Mbejane mean when he compares Sean to a stallion who does not know how to kick down a fence?
8. Why does Katrina ask Sean to put his name in her family bible?
9. What happens to Duff when he finally shows signs of rabies?
10. As Duff's friend, Sean has to make a promise that he knows he cannot keep to Duff. What is that promise, and what does he feel about what he has to do in the end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sean and Duff go into the bush after losing their mine and their business to Hradsky. Sean really enjoys the wilderness, but Duff does not. Based on each of their individual characteristics, why do you think each of them feels the way they do? What is the author building up to by introducing the fact that Sean is in his element while Duff is not?
Essay Topic 2
Sean and Duff start to become consumed by business and money. This is evidenced by many things, from the way they treat each other to the way Hradsky is able to out maneuver them. Identify and discuss five signs that they are getting carried away by business and money.
Essay Topic 3
What is "blackwater"? What is the danger of contracting Malaria during this time? Is it a common disease? Sean knows immediately upon seeing the blackwater what is wrong with Katrina. How does Katrina's illness impact her, Sean, and their family?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)