|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katrina do before she leaves Sean?
2. What dowry does the new bride's family offer Sean?
3. When does Sean return to Candy's Deep?
4. Why is Sean in such a rage when he reaches Candy's Deep the day of the cave in?
5. How much is Sean making on his share of the ivory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions leading up to Sean's attack. Should he have tried to save the dogs or should he have tried to escape?
2. What does Mbejane mean when he compares Sean to a stallion who does not know how to kick down a fence?
3. Why does Katrina ask Sean to put his name in her family bible?
4. Why does Sean return so quickly to Candy's Deep alone in Chapter 21?
5. Sean goes running after the Leroux camp when he finds they've left in the morning. Why? What does he have to do to get what he wants?
6. Sean is relieved after the takeover. Why?
7. Duff and Sean didn't believe Max when he first approached them in Chapter 28. What factors influence them and make them change their mind?
8. Katrina is wrong about what she thinks is going on between Sean and Candy. How could she find out what is really going on?
9. Why won't the priest marry Sean and Katrina? What does Sean do?
10. What makes Sean decide to slow down in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sean is devastated when Karl shoots himself as a result of the takeover. Explain what you think prompts Sean to take Karl over, even though he is a friend and why you think those actions caused such remorse. Do you believe his relationship with his brother had anything to do with his feelings of guilt?
Essay Topic 2
The argument between Duff and Sean is an argument that is still being had today. While hunting for ivory is now illegal, what are your views on the actions of the two men? Compare and contrast each side of the argument and give your own opinion on the subject.
Essay Topic 3
Duff is a good business man and has really good ideas on how to make his and Sean's venture successful. Describe three things Duff is responsible for toward making Candy's Deep a success.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)