|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sean go running into the swollen river?
2. Why doesn't Sean shoot Duff when he realizes Duff is rabid?
3. What dowry does the new bride's family offer Sean?
4. When does Duff have his first convulsion?
5. What is Sean trying to find in Nova Sofala?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katrina dislike Candy?
2. Why does Katrina ask Sean to put his name in her family bible?
3. Why does Sean need to bring a priest back to the camp so quickly?
4. What makes Sean decide to slow down in Chapter 2?
5. Should Sean or Duff seriously consider building a collaboration with Hradsky in Chapter 23?
6. Why does Katrina want to leave Johannesburg?
7. Describe Duff's reaction to the rabid jackal attack?
8. Katrina is wrong about what she thinks is going on between Sean and Candy. How could she find out what is really going on?
9. Why do Jan and Sean seem to be competing so fiercely over everything?
10. When Francois runs back out of the mine, Sean goes to the face to warn the men. What would have happened if he would have followed Francois in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duff is attacked by a rabid jackal and has to go through the pain of injuries and the pain of waiting to see if he is going to become rabid as well. After 18 days, the dog involved in the fight does become rabid. Describe the array of feelings Duff goes through between the attack and the day that he finally succumbs to rabies. What techniques does the author use to take the reader through Duff's emotions and Sean's emotions? What emotions is the author trying to portray?
Essay Topic 2
Even though Mbejane and Sean are very close friends, they also have a servant and master relationship. Explain the dichotomy of the two different relationships. Why can't they just be friends? Does Sean's friendship with Mbejane impact how he treats other servants and employees?
Essay Topic 3
Duff is a good business man and has really good ideas on how to make his and Sean's venture successful. Describe three things Duff is responsible for toward making Candy's Deep a success.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)