|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sean and Duff argue about back at camp?
2. What happens to Sean while he's trying to get to Nova Sofala?
3. What does Sean help the women at the Leroux camp do?
4. What does the Father require before he will marry Sean and Katrina?
5. What does Sean's old neighbor tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Hlubi want to leave the mountain village with Sean? What reason does he give, and what is the real reason?
2. Duff and Sean didn't believe Max when he first approached them in Chapter 28. What factors influence them and make them change their mind?
3. When Francois runs back out of the mine, Sean goes to the face to warn the men. What would have happened if he would have followed Francois in Chapter 19?
4. Why does Katrina dislike Candy?
5. Sean welcomes the Leroux's to his camp, but the mood quickly changes. What happens that causes the mood to change, and what happens with the Leroux's return?
6. What all does Sean have to do once he realizes Duff is gone in Chapter 25?
7. Why does Katrina want to leave Johannesburg?
8. Describe Duff's reaction to the rabid jackal attack?
9. What does Sean do with his stillborn son?
10. Along with access to water, why do the men decide to travel away from the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that tragedy follows Sean throughout the book. He is a character that has been able to climb to the highest highs, then fall to the lowest lows. Why does the author take the reader on this roller coaster ride? What is the purpose in creating emotional ties to characters? What other characters experience a variety of high points and low points? Be specific by naming the character and describing the various situations they find themselves in.
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Garrick and Anna symbolize Garrick's life and personality? And, how do the relationships Sean has symbolize his life and personality?
Essay Topic 3
Katrina and Sean's baby will be considered illegitimate if a priest doesn't arrive in time to marry them before the baby is born even though they are in a committed loving relationship. How does this compare to relationships, marriage, and families today?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)