|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the orderly officer react when the Ladyburg Mounted Rifles show up at the battle site?
2. Where does Garrick regain consciousness?
3. Who does Sean meet during a bar fight?
4. What do Sean and Duff agree to do with the money they get first?
5. What does Duff get with the last amount money he receives from a local business owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What drives Sean to go look for a fight in Chapter 1?
2. How does Anna's reaction to each brother effect Garrick in Chapter 9?
3. Why does the Digger's Committee take on more social responsibility in Chapter 13?
4. How does the Courtney family prepare to leave for war on New Years Day in Chapter 16?
5. How does Garrick feel initially about using his new peg leg, and how does he react to it once it is on in Chapter 5?
6. What are Sean and Duff able to do with all the money from the leader of gold they found?
7. Why do Sean, Duff, and other stake holders form the Digger's Committee in Chapter 9?
8. Even though everyone is nervous, why does Sean want to fight the largest man first?
9. What happened as a result of Sean leaving Theunis Kraal without talking to his brother in Chapter 30?
10. Sean trusts Duff with the rest of his money in Chapter 6 after knowing him for a short period of time. Was that a wise move?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Katrina and Sean's baby will be considered illegitimate if a priest doesn't arrive in time to marry them before the baby is born even though they are in a committed loving relationship. How does this compare to relationships, marriage, and families today?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship Anna has with both Sean and Garrick, and how she impacts their relationship as brothers. Even though Anna eventually drives a wedge between the two brothers, her actions actually set Sean on the path that defines the rest of his life, his success, and his ultimate tragedy. What role does Anna play in putting Sean on that path, and what role does she play in Sean staying on that path, even after she is out of his life?
Essay Topic 3
As soon as Sean hears that Garrick is in trouble he decides to go home. Knowing Sean's past, his relationships and his need to rescue people, and his feelings for his brother, are you surprised that he wants to go home? Explain your take on the situation.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)