|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. New Years Day is a double celebration in Ladyburg for what reason?
2. Who does Sean meet during a bar fight?
3. When does Anna tell Sean the truth about her pregnancy?
4. How long is the convoy Duff returns with?
5. What does Hradsky call the men together to discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how both Garrick and Anna feel about Sean's return in Chapter 25.
2. What drives Sean to go look for a fight in Chapter 1?
3. How do Anna's feelings for Garrick change through Chapters 22 - 24 during their honeymoon?
4. How does Garrick feel initially about using his new peg leg, and how does he react to it once it is on in Chapter 5?
5. How does Anna's reaction to each brother effect Garrick in Chapter 9?
6. How could Garrick have approached the conflict differently with his brother in Chapter 30?
7. How would you describe the blossoming friendship between Sean and Duff in Chapters 1 - 4?
8. Anna has ulterior motives in visiting Garrick, but did he have ulterior motives when he asked her to marry him in Chapter 21?
9. What are the ethical implications of Sean and Duff buying out their friend in Chapter 16?
10. Why do Sean and Duff need to keep the mine running in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author portrays Candy as a powerful female business owner during a time when women-owned businesses were not popular. Why would he include her character? Other than helping Sean and Duff, what purpose does she bring to the overall story? How does she compare to other women in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The argument between Duff and Sean is an argument that is still being had today. While hunting for ivory is now illegal, what are your views on the actions of the two men? Compare and contrast each side of the argument and give your own opinion on the subject.
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Garrick and Anna symbolize Garrick's life and personality? And, how do the relationships Sean has symbolize his life and personality?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)