|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sean tell Duff about his past?
2. Of the twins, Sean is:
3. How does Duff know Sean has no more reservations about their friendship?
4. Who is Nikki speaking to when Duff goes to find him?
5. New Years Day is a double celebration in Ladyburg for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though everyone is nervous, why does Sean want to fight the largest man first?
2. Why does Ada really leave Theunis Kraal in Chapter 25?
3. What feelings and emotions does Sean have as a result of Garrick's accident in Chapter 3?
4. Does Anna fully understood the magnitude of the lie she told Garrick?
5. Anna has ulterior motives in visiting Garrick, but did he have ulterior motives when he asked her to marry him in Chapter 21?
6. What are Sean and Duff able to do with all the money from the leader of gold they found?
7. Why does the Digger's Committee take on more social responsibility in Chapter 13?
8. Why does Garrick black out at Baboon Stroom in Chapter 31?
9. How do Anna's feelings for Garrick change through Chapters 22 - 24 during their honeymoon?
10. How does Garrick feel about his heroic act in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is "blackwater"? What is the danger of contracting Malaria during this time? Is it a common disease? Sean knows immediately upon seeing the blackwater what is wrong with Katrina. How does Katrina's illness impact her, Sean, and their family?
Essay Topic 2
The stock exchange set up by the men in Johannesburg is not unlike today's stock market. They are able to use tactics to make stock prices go up and down in order to accompany what they want. Compare these actions to today's market and explain how they are able to manipulate it.
Essay Topic 3
How does the title of the book relate to the story? Does it relate to a particular part of the story or the story overall? What does the title symbolize? What feeling was the author trying to portray through the title?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)