|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sean torment endlessly during school?
2. What do Sean and Duff agree to do with the money they get first?
3. Sean starts to consider getting married after seeing Garrick and Anna are married. Who does he consider marrying?
4. Where does Duff take Sean to get his mind off things when he wants to quit?
5. Who does Sean leave his share of Theunis Kraal to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Courtney family prepare to leave for war on New Years Day in Chapter 16?
2. What drives Sean to go look for a fight in Chapter 1?
3. How does Garrick feel about his heroic act in Chapter 20?
4. Why does Garrick black out at Baboon Stroom in Chapter 31?
5. What are Sean and Duff able to do with all the money from the leader of gold they found?
6. How does the relationship between Anna and Sean change between Chapters 10 - 12?
7. How does Garrick feel initially about using his new peg leg, and how does he react to it once it is on in Chapter 5?
8. Is the way the orderly officer reacts to the regiment in Chapter 18 appropriate? Why or why not?
9. How would you describe the blossoming friendship between Sean and Duff in Chapters 1 - 4?
10. What feelings and emotions does Sean have as a result of Garrick's accident in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Mbejane and Sean are very close friends, they also have a servant and master relationship. Explain the dichotomy of the two different relationships. Why can't they just be friends? Does Sean's friendship with Mbejane impact how he treats other servants and employees?
Essay Topic 2
Duff is a good business man and has really good ideas on how to make his and Sean's venture successful. Describe three things Duff is responsible for toward making Candy's Deep a success.
Essay Topic 3
The author portrays Candy as a powerful female business owner during a time when women-owned businesses were not popular. Why would he include her character? Other than helping Sean and Duff, what purpose does she bring to the overall story? How does she compare to other women in the story?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)