|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sean doing when he realizes Duff is rabid?
(a) Playing cards with Duff.
(c) Sleeping near Duff.
(d) Building a fire.
2. What do Sean and Duff do to lower the price of CRC shares?
(a) They purchase as many shares as they can.
(b) They sell off the shares they own.
(c) They convince others to sell off their shares.
(d) They convince Hradsky to purchase all their shares.
3. Who does Sean sell his wagon loads of ivory to?
(a) Mr. Hradsky.
(b) Mr. Pye.
(c) Mr. Goldberg.
(d) Mr. Courtney.
4. How does Sean finally end Duff's suffering?
(a) He wraps the chain around Duff and throws him in the river.
(b) He hits him over the head before things get really bad.
(c) He sets the hut on fire once Duff has passed out.
(d) He shoots him after convulsions snap Duff's back.
5. What does Sean plan to do to protest Katrina's request?
(a) Keep her locked in a wagon.
(b) Find another wife.
(c) Not speak to her.
(d) Refuse to help her with anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Sean and Duff realize they've been had?
2. When Sean wakes up, he is extended an invitation to dinner at the Leroux camp by who?
3. What does the doctor prescribe for Katrina?
4. Why is Sean in such a rage when he reaches Candy's Deep the day of the cave in?
5. Why does Sean go running into the swollen river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Hlubi want to leave the mountain village with Sean? What reason does he give, and what is the real reason?
2. Why does Sean return so quickly to Candy's Deep alone in Chapter 21?
3. Describe the actions leading up to Sean's attack. Should he have tried to save the dogs or should he have tried to escape?
4. Why won't the priest marry Sean and Katrina? What does Sean do?
5. What does Mbejane mean when he compares Sean to a stallion who does not know how to kick down a fence?
6. Sean is relieved after the takeover. Why?
7. Sean takes Duff's death really hard. What gets him to finally laugh again?
8. Why does Katrina ask Sean to put his name in her family bible?
9. What happens to Katrina as a result of her illness? What was the emotional impact?
10. When Francois runs back out of the mine, Sean goes to the face to warn the men. What would have happened if he would have followed Francois in Chapter 19?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)