|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sean attempt to stop the clerk Duff sends to the exchange?
(a) He wants to purchase shares, not sell them.
(b) They need to change the terms of the sale.
(c) He wants to sell more shares than Duff ordered.
(d) They don't have enough shares to cover the sale Duff made.
2. What does Sean help the women at the Leroux camp do?
(a) He helps them take the camp across the river.
(b) All of these options.
(c) He leads the wagons across the river.
(d) He leads the oxen across the river.
3. What is happening at the camp when Sean returns from Nova Sofala?
(a) Mbejane has delivered Katrina's baby.
(b) Mbejane has been injured in an elephant attack.
(c) Katrina is in labor.
(d) Katrina has left.
4. What does Sean get under to save himself while trapped in the mine?
(a) The cocopan.
(b) Equipment and machinery.
(c) Fallen support beams.
(d) Mining carts.
5. Why is Sean in such a rage when he reaches Candy's Deep the day of the cave in?
(a) He's been drinking, and he's angry with Mbejane.
(b) He's lost a lot of money in the exchange.
(c) He's been drinking, and he is upset about Duff and Candy's engagement.
(d) He had an argument with another man at the exchange.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does fatherhood effect Sean?
2. What does the doctor say is wrong with Katrina at the end of the book?
3. Who does Candy turn to for comfort after she finds out that Duff has left?
4. What happens after Sean and Katrina share a bed?
5. Who suggests that Sean and Duff's convoy slow their pace some?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Sean decide to slow down in Chapter 2?
2. What does Mbejane mean when he compares Sean to a stallion who does not know how to kick down a fence?
3. Sean takes Duff's death really hard. What gets him to finally laugh again?
4. Why does Sean need to bring a priest back to the camp so quickly?
5. Sean is anxious to help the women at the Leroux camp. Why? Why does he continue going out of his way to be helpful?
6. What all does Sean have to do once he realizes Duff is gone in Chapter 25?
7. Why won't the priest marry Sean and Katrina? What does Sean do?
8. What does Sean do with his stillborn son?
9. Why do Jan and Sean seem to be competing so fiercely over everything?
10. Why does Candy respond the way she does when she finds out Duff has left in Chapter 25?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)