|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Sean and Duff plan to bury and retrieve on their way back?
(a) Their extra weapons.
(b) The only gold they have left.
(c) The ivory tusks they've collected.
(d) Elephant bones.
2. When the Leroux group return, when is the fight declared over?
(a) Sean gives up.
(b) Jan gives up.
(c) Sean and Oupa fight until it is declared a draw.
(d) Sean and Jan fight until it is declared a draw.
3. When is Duff attacked?
(a) When he leaves the campfire one night.
(b) When he strays from camp before daybreak.
(c) While he sleeps in his tent.
(d) During the middle of a hunt in the wilderness.
4. What does the doctor say is wrong with Katrina at the end of the book?
(a) Malaria outbreak.
(b) Paralytic hysteria.
(c) She is pregnant again.
(d) High fever.
5. What happens to Katrina and Sean's second baby?
(a) The baby is born prematurely, but does not survive.
(b) The baby is stillborn.
(c) Katrina continues to carry their baby full-term.
(d) The baby is born prematurely, but survives.
6. What illness affects Katrina?
(c) Fever and flu.
7. What does Katrina do before she leaves Sean?
(a) She leaves Sean a note.
(b) She leaves Dirk a note.
(c) She makes a final entry in the bible.
(d) She goes to see Candy.
8. What happens after Sean and Katrina share a bed?
(a) They find a priest right away and are married.
(b) She loves him even more.
(c) Her stomach starts to grow with pregnancy.
(d) She decides it was a mistake.
9. Why does Sean attempt to stop the clerk Duff sends to the exchange?
(a) They need to change the terms of the sale.
(b) He wants to sell more shares than Duff ordered.
(c) They don't have enough shares to cover the sale Duff made.
(d) He wants to purchase shares, not sell them.
10. How does Sean find out that Duff is gone?
(a) A bellhop tells him.
(b) He hears it from town's people.
(c) Duff leaves Sean a note in his room.
(d) Candy comes to tell him.
11. When does Sean return to Candy's Deep?
(a) He does not return.
(b) The following week.
(c) Three days later.
(d) The next day.
12. What does Sean get under to save himself while trapped in the mine?
(a) Fallen support beams.
(b) Mining carts.
(c) The cocopan.
(d) Equipment and machinery.
13. Where does Sean's family arrive at after leaving the Limpopo river?
(c) Louis Trichardt.
14. What does the doctor prescribe for Katrina?
(a) Herbal teas.
(b) Tree roots.
(d) Bed rest.
15. Where do Sean, Duff, and the Zulus stop first on their journey?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sean trying to find in Nova Sofala?
2. What does Sean throw himself into in order to forget about what happened with Duff?
3. What agreement do Sean and Duff make to keep their 50/50 partnership?
4. Why does Sean go running into the swollen river?
5. What prompts Katrina to let Sean into her bed?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)