|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the rainy season, where do Sean and his family decide to go?
(b) Into the mountain village.
(d) The valley on the other side of the Sabi.
2. What happens between Jan and Sean during dinner?
(a) They compete over eating to see who can eat more.
(b) Sean invites Jan to go hunting.
(c) They get into another argument.
(d) Jan apologizes for attempting to take Sean's camp.
3. Why does Sean go running into the swollen river?
(a) His horse goes charging into the water.
(b) He sees a member of the Leroux camp drowning.
(c) He is chasing the Leroux camp which has left.
(d) He is chasing after Ouma with the Leroux camp.
4. Who does Sean meet in Nova Sofala?
(a) Father Leroux.
(b) Father Alphonso.
(c) Father Hlubi.
(d) Father Greer.
5. How does Sean get trapped in the mine?
(a) He is trapped by the stamp mill.
(b) He is knocked unconcious by falling rocks.
(c) He follows Francois down the wrong tunnel.
(d) He runs back to warn the men at the face then trips.
6. Which of the men feel more comfortable in the wilderness?
7. What does Sean's old neighbor tell him?
(a) Garrick has lost the farm.
(b) Garrick and Anna are doing well.
(c) Garrick has lost half of his cattle.
(d) Garrick gave the farm back to Ada.
8. What do Sean and Duff argue about back at camp?
(a) What to do with the elephants.
(b) Who shot the bigger elephant.
9. Where does Sean find Katrina when he gets out of the shower?
(a) Lying in bed motionless.
(b) In a chair, refusing to speak.
(c) In the drawing room.
(d) In the bathroom doorway.
10. Who goes after the medicine for Katrina?
11. Who does Sean want to marry?
12. What does the doctor say is wrong with Katrina at the end of the book?
(a) She is pregnant again.
(b) Paralytic hysteria.
(c) High fever.
(d) Malaria outbreak.
13. What happens when Sean and Duff come across their first bull elephants?
(a) Both men shoot an elephant.
(b) Sean fires, but Duff does not.
(c) Sean and Duff argue about whether or not to shoot the elephants.
(d) Duff fires, but Sean does not.
14. What does Sean plan to do to protest Katrina's request?
(a) Not speak to her.
(b) Refuse to help her with anything.
(c) Find another wife.
(d) Keep her locked in a wagon.
15. When does Sean return to Candy's Deep?
(a) The following week.
(b) The next day.
(c) Three days later.
(d) He does not return.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Sean while he's trying to get to Nova Sofala?
2. When the Leroux group return, when is the fight declared over?
3. Why does Sean attempt to stop the clerk Duff sends to the exchange?
4. When Sean wakes up, he is extended an invitation to dinner at the Leroux camp by who?
5. What does Sean help the women at the Leroux camp do?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)