|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Nikki speaking to when Duff goes to find him?
(a) Francois du Toit.
(b) Candy Rautenbach.
(c) Waite Courtney.
(d) Norman Hradsky.
2. What sends Garrick back into a delirious fog?
(a) Pain as he puts on his new leg.
(b) Infection in his new leg.
(c) The fear of falling off his peg leg.
(d) The fear of falling out of bed.
3. How does Anna react to Garrick on their last night of their honeymoon?
(a) She laughs at him for not being able to perform, and she sends him away.
(b) She is terrified of him.
(c) She ignores his advances.
(d) She is embarrased by his drinking.
4. How does Sean convince Anna to consummate their relationship?
(a) He tells her he wants to marry her.
(b) He wants to remember her while he is gone.
(c) He tells her he may never return from the war.
(d) He tells her how important it is to consummate the relationship before he leaves.
5. What rank does Waite Courtney hold in the regiment?
6. Where is the last place Sean visits before leaving Ladyburg?
(a) He goes to visit Mr. Pye at the bank.
(b) He goes back to Theunis Kraal one more time.
(c) He goes to Audrey's house.
(d) He goes to the local tavern.
7. After narrowly escaping an ambush, what does Sean return to find?
(a) The entire regiment, including his father, has been attacked and killed.
(b) His friends and neighbors have returned to Ladyburg.
(c) The regiment has been scattered.
(d) The regiment has moved out.
8. What gift does their father give the twins for Christmas?
9. What does Garrick anxiously await as he recovers?
(a) The gifts Sean brings him.
(b) His brother's weekends at home.
(c) The chance to ride and run again.
(d) His return to school.
10. What position has Waite finally accepted?
(a) Chairman of the Farmers Association.
(b) Chairman of the Cattle Growers Association.
11. What news does Waite bring from Pietermaritzburg?
(a) War has been declared by the Zulus, and a regiment is to be formed.
(b) He is Chairman of the Farmers Association.
(c) The city is overtaken by war.
(d) He has been made Mayor of Ladyburg.
12. What does Sean do with the wagons that bring the equipment back from the boat?
(a) He loans them to a neighboring owner.
(b) He has them dismantled.
(c) He sends half of them back and keeps half.
(d) He starts a transport company.
13. While celebrating, what do Sean and Duff find out from Candy?
(a) She's heard they are abusing workers.
(b) She wants her stakes back.
(c) Claim jumpers are coming.
(d) She's heard they stole the stamp press.
14. When does Sean intend to return to Ladyburg?
(a) He is coming back after a few days.
(b) He doesn't intend to return.
(c) As long as it takes for Garrick to calm down.
(d) He is planning on returning in a few months.
15. Who saves Sean in return for saving his life?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Sean comes home and asks about Garrick's leg?
2. How does Garrick's accident occur?
3. Why does Sean trade chores with Garrick?
4. How do Sean and Duff start to spend their fortune?
5. What is the result of 10 tons of rock passing through the stamp mill?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)