|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mother caution her children about?
2. The period of World War II was filled with fear and _________________ toward Japanese-Americans.
3. Which of the following is NOT a term the father uses to describe Americans?
4. What does the mother recall that she had been too tired to get the father the night he was taken away?
5. Chapter 5 is told from the perspective of _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the father want to imply to whoever is hearing his confession?
2. What does the father say is what he most wanted to say to everyone during his confession?
3. Who does the father identify himself as being when delivering his confession?
4. From whose perspective is Chapter 5 told and what is the nature of the chapter?
5. What are the physical and psychological states of the camp in the autumn of 1942?
6. Who does the father address in his confession in Chapter 5?
7. Why is the girl digging in the ground with a spoon in the middle of the night?
8. Describe how the winter takes its toll on the people in the camps.
9. What has incarceration done to the father and why do his children hardly recognize him when he comes home?
10. What valuable advice does the boy receive from his father in a letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Otsuka's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the main settings for the novel. Why does Otsuka use the settings she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the mother. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in time?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)