|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At school the teachers and other students are polite but ______________.
2. What advice does the boy receive from his father in a letter?
3. The father provides examples of ___________________ of Japanese people.
4. What does someone throw through a window of the house one night?
5. Why can the father not find a new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the father conclude his confession?
2. Why is the girl digging in the ground with a spoon in the middle of the night?
3. What valuable advice does the boy receive from his father in a letter?
4. What is the social environment like for the Japanese-Americans when they return home?
5. What are the physical and psychological states of the camp in the autumn of 1942?
6. Who does the father identify himself as being when delivering his confession?
7. Describe what the family did after the father's arrest when they did not know what had happened to him.
8. What agreement did the mother have with a lawyer and how did he abuse that agreement?
9. What is the condition of the family's home when they return after their release from the camp?
10. What is the father's tone during his confession in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book WHEN THE EMPEROR WAS DIVINE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)