|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money is the family given when released from the internment camp?
2. What advice does the boy receive from his father in a letter?
3. How long had the family been gone from its home?
4. For how many days after his father's arrest did the family have no information about where he was?
5. What happens to the family in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy learn about the details of another boy's father's arrest that is more disturbing than his own father's arrest?
2. How does the author show that the characters are not considered to be real people, but rather just nameless prisoners?
3. Describe how the winter takes its toll on the people in the camps.
4. Why does the mother have to find a job and why does she have a difficult time doing so?
5. What is the father's tone during his confession in this chapter?
6. Describe how the Army is ruthless in its treatment of the internees.
7. What is the condition of the family's home when they return after their release from the camp?
8. From whose perspective is Chapter 5 told and what is the nature of the chapter?
9. What are the physical and psychological states of the camp in the autumn of 1942?
10. What does the father want to imply to whoever is hearing his confession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the hardware store owner. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the dialogue between the hardware store owner and the mother?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice and discrimination against people unlike you is a common thread in WHEN THE EMPEROR WAS DIVINE. Cite two examples in this book and explain what you think Otsuka was trying to say in each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the father. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)