|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because his father is listed as a dangerous enemy alien, the boy envisions him as ___________________.
2. What does someone throw through a window of the house one night?
3. The children work hard helping their mother ____________________.
4. For how many days after his father's arrest did the family have no information about where he was?
5. How many of the camp's residents freeze to death in the sub-zero weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the father want to imply to whoever is hearing his confession?
2. Describe what the family did after the father's arrest when they did not know what had happened to him.
3. From whose perspective is Chapter 4 told and what is the tone of the characters?
4. Why is the girl digging in the ground with a spoon in the middle of the night?
5. What valuable advice does the boy receive from his father in a letter?
6. How does the father conclude his confession?
7. How does the author show that the characters are not considered to be real people, but rather just nameless prisoners?
8. For whom does the father speak during his confession?
9. How do people in town react to the family when they return from the camp?
10. What is the social environment like for the Japanese-Americans when they return home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the hardware store owner. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the dialogue between the hardware store owner and the mother?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of character. Identify at least two examples about character in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of character.
Essay Topic 3
Otsuka is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)