|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Tanforan Horse Racing Track located?
2. What does the girl throw out the train window?
3. The train the family is on is bound for _______________.
4. At the internment camp in Utah, the boy thinks he sees _______________ everywhere.
5. Who is the man with whom the girl talks while waiting in line for the restroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the family's experience at Tanforan as explained by the girl.
2. How do the girl's recollection of the family trip to Yosemite and her father's travels provide some insight into the father's arrest?
3. How do the boy and his camp friends show more naivete than harmful intentions in some of their games and habits?
4. What directions does the mother give the boy for his behavior in the camp?
5. Why had the boy packed a pair of his father's shoes in his suitcase to bring with him to the camp?
6. What is the irony of the picture the boy hangs on his wall in the camp?
7. What does the girl tell a man about her father as they wait in line for the restroom?
8. How is the girl's naivete exhibited when she waves to people from the train?
9. Who is Mrs. Ueno and how does she act with the boy's mother in the camp?
10. How can the woman's demeanor be described during her preparations for the family's move?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of good versus evil. Identify at least two examples about good vs. evil in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of good versus evil.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the girl. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in time?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)