|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the woman come to the hardware store to buy?
2. Who is the only one of his friends who writes to the boy?
3. What does the woman do to the old dog she has fed?
4. Which of the following does the girl NOT do on the train trip?
5. Which of the following is NOT true about the family's experience at Tanforan Racetrack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the living conditions of the mother, the boy and the girl in Utah.
2. What does the boy think he might have done that caused the family to be in such distressing situations?
3. What does the boy recall about his father being taken away and what his mother did after that night to try to keep the family safe?
4. Describe how the woman goes about packing up the family's belongings.
5. Describe the family's experience at Tanforan as explained by the girl.
6. Who is Mrs. Ueno and how does she act with the boy's mother in the camp?
7. Describe the last ordinary night the family has in their home.
8. What directions does the mother give the boy for his behavior in the camp?
9. What is the irony of the picture the boy hangs on his wall in the camp?
10. How much time has passed since the family's initial move and from whose perspective in Chapter 2 told?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Extreme prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the main settings for the novel. Why does Otsuka use the settings she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)