|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sometimes the boy thinks he is dreaming and will wake up to see his father ____________________.
2. People of which descent are to be relocated?
3. The boy often fantasizes about ______________________.
4. Which magazine shows images from the war?
5. What does a little girl offer to give the girl on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the woman goes about packing up the family's belongings.
2. How is camp live especially difficult for some people who had important positions in their lives?
3. What does the boy think he might have done that caused the family to be in such distressing situations?
4. Why had the boy packed a pair of his father's shoes in his suitcase to bring with him to the camp?
5. Describe the family's experience at Tanforan as explained by the girl.
6. What does the soldier advise the girl to stop doing on the train and what does he make the train's occupants do while passing through a town in Nevada?
7. How is the girl's naivete exhibited when she waves to people from the train?
8. How are Japanese-Americans notified that they are to be relocated and what indicates that people are preparing?
9. Describe the woman's visit to the hardware store.
10. What is the irony of the picture the boy hangs on his wall in the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Otsuka uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of good versus evil. Identify at least two examples about good vs. evil in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of good versus evil.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the mother. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in time?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)