|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sometimes the boy thinks he is dreaming and will wake up to see his father ____________________.
2. Which of the following does the girl NOT do on the train trip?
3. How many days is a woman packing after she sees the first internment notice?
4. Which pet does the woman release the night before they are to leave?
5. The boy often fantasizes about ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the boy's life like at the camp?
2. What does the boy recall about his father being taken away and what his mother did after that night to try to keep the family safe?
3. What directions does the mother give the boy for his behavior in the camp?
4. Where is the family headed in September 1942 and where had they been living since the spring of the year?
5. How is camp live especially difficult for some people who had important positions in their lives?
6. What is the girl prompted to remember when viewing the image on a playing card?
7. Describe the living conditions of the mother, the boy and the girl in Utah.
8. What does the soldier advise the girl to stop doing on the train and what does he make the train's occupants do while passing through a town in Nevada?
9. Why does the girl lie about her father to to the man named Ted?
10. What does the girl tell a man about her father as they wait in line for the restroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson the boy learns from his father? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will the boy always recall about his father from their experiences during World War II?
Essay Topic 3
Why are the characters nameless in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by not giving the characters names? Did she accomplish her goal? Explain.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)