|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the camp where the Japanese-American people will now live?
2. What does the boy say that his father is fond of?
3. What wakes the people who are sleeping on the train?
4. Why does the boy's sister wear a Panama hat?
5. Who is the only one of his friends who writes to the boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy recall about his father being taken away and what his mother did after that night to try to keep the family safe?
2. How do the boy and his camp friends show more naivete than harmful intentions in some of their games and habits?
3. How is camp live especially difficult for some people who had important positions in their lives?
4. Why are the hardware store owner's actions significant?
5. What is the girl prompted to remember when viewing the image on a playing card?
6. How are Japanese-Americans notified that they are to be relocated and what indicates that people are preparing?
7. What does the boy think he might have done that caused the family to be in such distressing situations?
8. How can the woman's demeanor be described during her preparations for the family's move?
9. How does the author show that the family is all-American and hardly a threat to U.S. security?
10. What does the soldier advise the girl to stop doing on the train and what does he make the train's occupants do while passing through a town in Nevada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Otsuka's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book WHEN THE EMPEROR WAS DIVINE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the father. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)