|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boy shows his sister a book about ________________.
2. At the internment camp in Utah, the boy thinks he sees _______________ everywhere.
3. In which city do the passengers disembark from the train?
4. When had the woman's husband been arrested?
5. What month is it as the girl, her brother and mother are on a train?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the timing of the relocation effort and why was the woman's husband arrested prior to this relocation?
2. What does the soldier advise the girl to stop doing on the train and what does he make the train's occupants do while passing through a town in Nevada?
3. What does the girl tell a man about her father as they wait in line for the restroom?
4. What does the boy recall about his father being taken away and what his mother did after that night to try to keep the family safe?
5. How does the author show that the family is all-American and hardly a threat to U.S. security?
6. Who is Mrs. Ueno and how does she act with the boy's mother in the camp?
7. What is the irony of the picture the boy hangs on his wall in the camp?
8. Why does the girl lie about her father to to the man named Ted?
9. How can the woman's demeanor be described during her preparations for the family's move?
10. How are Japanese-Americans notified that they are to be relocated and what indicates that people are preparing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why are the characters nameless in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by not giving the characters names? Did she accomplish her goal? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the hardware store owner. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the dialogue between the hardware store owner and the mother?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)