|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the father at this point in time?
(a) He is at home.
(b) He is still incarcerated.
(c) He has been sent to Japan.
(d) He is working in New York.
2. Why can the father not work in the company he had worked for before?
(a) It is under new management.
(b) It has moved out of state.
(c) It has no job openings.
(d) It is no longer in business.
3. Because his father is listed as a dangerous enemy alien, the boy envisions him as ___________________.
(a) a space creature.
(b) an Old West outlaw.
(c) a spy.
(d) a Russian.
4. The father sarcastically admits to cutting arrow-shaped swaths through which fields?
5. What had the mother buried in the yard before leaving?
(a) The silverware.
(b) The family's cash.
(c) The family heirlooms.
(d) The coin collection.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the boy's father wearing when he was taken away by the authorities?
2. For how many days after his father's arrest did the family have no information about where he was?
3. The father sarcastically says that he gave ____________________ to the enemy for free.
4. What does the boy's sister make him do when she changes clothes?
5. Soldiers return home from the war with stories of _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the father conclude his confession?
2. Why does the mother leave one of the father's suits hanging in the closet?
3. What does the father "admit" to doing that made him a threat to the U.S.?
4. What is the condition of the family's home when they return after their release from the camp?
5. Describe how the winter takes its toll on the people in the camps.
6. Who does the father address in his confession in Chapter 5?
7. Why is the girl digging in the ground with a spoon in the middle of the night?
8. From whose perspective is Chapter 5 told and what is the nature of the chapter?
9. What are the physical and psychological states of the camp in the autumn of 1942?
10. How do people in town react to the family when they return from the camp?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)