|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did a guard kill one of the internees one night?
(a) He said the man was trying to escape.
(b) He said the man attacked him with a knife.
(c) He said the man was going to shoot into the camp.
(d) He said the man was going to shoot him.
2. The family learns that a possible reason they had not received mail from friends is because ____________________.
(a) the mailman told them it was a crime to send letters to internees.
(b) they did not know where to address the letters.
(c) postage costs were too prohibitive.
(d) there was a shortage of stationery items during the war.
3. Why does the boys' mother leave some clothing of his father's hanging in the closet?
(a) So the boy could remember him.
(b) So she could feel her husband's spirit in the house.
(c) So he would have something to wear when he got home.
(d) So she would remember to donate it to charity.
4. How do most people in town greet the family?
5. What is the father's attitude now?
(a) Content with his life.
(b) Anxious to rebuild his life.
(c) Joyful at the chance to travel again.
(d) Bitter toward the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father sarcastically admits to stealing ______________________ and selling them to the enemy to melt down for bullets.
2. What does the father admit to doing during questioning?
3. Where does the family go in Chapter 4?
4. At school the teachers and other students are polite but ______________.
5. What does the boy's sister make him do when she changes clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long had the family been away from their home and what has being institutionalized done to their sense of fear at night?
2. How does the father conclude his confession?
3. What does the father want to imply to whoever is hearing his confession?
4. Describe the room where the father was first taken for questioning.
5. From whose perspective is Chapter 4 told and what is the tone of the characters?
6. Why does the mother leave one of the father's suits hanging in the closet?
7. What agreement did the mother have with a lawyer and how did he abuse that agreement?
8. Why is the girl digging in the ground with a spoon in the middle of the night?
9. What are the physical and psychological states of the camp in the autumn of 1942?
10. Who does the father identify himself as being when delivering his confession?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)