|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The girl has a collection of __________________ from her father.
(a) match books.
(c) newspaper articles.
2. The girl tells the man in #42 that her father is being held in which state?
(a) North Dakota.
(d) New Mexico.
3. In what city does the family live?
(a) Miami, Florida.
(b) Berkeley, California.
(c) San Diego, California.
(d) Portland, Maine.
4. In the camp there are rules about what words cannot be said and about _________________.
5. What is the main story of newspapers during this time?
(b) Cotton prices.
(c) Political election.
(d) The war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl see in the moonlight when she looks out the train window?
2. What does the woman do with the cat since pets are not permitted at the internment camp?
3. What snack does the woman give her children after school?
4. What is the family preparing to do as the story begins?
5. What does the mother tell the boy they will do when the war is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had the boy packed a pair of his father's shoes in his suitcase to bring with him to the camp?
2. How is camp live especially difficult for some people who had important positions in their lives?
3. What is the girl prompted to remember when viewing the image on a playing card?
4. What does the girl tell a man about her father as they wait in line for the restroom?
5. What directions does the mother give the boy for his behavior in the camp?
6. What does the woman do to the old dog?
7. Describe the woman's visit to the hardware store.
8. Who is Mrs. Ueno and how does she act with the boy's mother in the camp?
9. How do the girl's recollection of the family trip to Yosemite and her father's travels provide some insight into the father's arrest?
10. What does the soldier advise the girl to stop doing on the train and what does he make the train's occupants do while passing through a town in Nevada?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)