|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman do with the cat since pets are not permitted at the internment camp?
(a) She gives it to their minister.
(b) She gives it to the neighbor.
(c) She lets it run away.
(d) She takes it to a shelter.
2. What snack does the woman give her children after school?
(a) Carrot sticks and cheese chunks.
(c) Apples and barley water.
(d) Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.
3. This book is about a ________________________ family.
4. What do the girl and her brother hope to see on their journey?
5. The boy shows his sister a book about ________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the internment camp in Utah, the boy thinks he sees _______________ everywhere.
2. What does the boy's father say is the thing he likes most about America?
3. The woman eventually buys tape and _______________ at the hardware store.
4. Where do the woman and her children have to report the next morning?
5. What did the family live in while at the Tanforan Racetrack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy think he might have done that caused the family to be in such distressing situations?
2. Describe the living conditions of the mother, the boy and the girl in Utah.
3. Describe how the woman goes about packing up the family's belongings.
4. What does the girl tell a man about her father as they wait in line for the restroom?
5. Where is the family headed in September 1942 and where had they been living since the spring of the year?
6. What directions does the mother give the boy for his behavior in the camp?
7. How do the boy and his camp friends show more naivete than harmful intentions in some of their games and habits?
8. What is the irony of the picture the boy hangs on his wall in the camp?
9. How can the woman's demeanor be described during her preparations for the family's move?
10. What is the premise of WHEN THE EMPEROR WAS DIVINE?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)