|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the mother's former housekeeper who is also at the camp?
(a) Mrs. Kobayashi
(b) Mrs. Saitou
(c) Mrs. Itou
(d) Mrs. Ueno.
2. What does the woman in #70 do when she sees the boy's mother one day?
(a) Bows deeply before her.
(b) Walks the other way.
(c) Carries her bucket of water for her.
(d) Spits on her.
3. What did the girl's father send her for her birthday?
(a) A collection of books.
(b) A set of oil paints.
(c) A bottle of perfume.
(d) A new dress.
4. What is the name of the camp where the Japanese-American people will now live?
5. The hardware store owner compliments the woman on her ___________________.
(a) new glasses.
(b) new hairstyle.
(c) new home.
(d) new hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Japanese Emperor?
2. The girl tells the man in #42 that her father is being held in which state?
3. The train the family is on is bound for _______________.
4. What does the woman do as she eats her lunch?
5. What did the family live in while at the Tanforan Racetrack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Ueno and how does she act with the boy's mother in the camp?
2. What directions does the mother give the boy for his behavior in the camp?
3. Where is the family headed in September 1942 and where had they been living since the spring of the year?
4. How can the woman's demeanor be described during her preparations for the family's move?
5. How is camp live especially difficult for some people who had important positions in their lives?
6. How do the boy and his camp friends show more naivete than harmful intentions in some of their games and habits?
7. What is the irony of the picture the boy hangs on his wall in the camp?
8. What does the boy recall about his father being taken away and what his mother did after that night to try to keep the family safe?
9. Why does the girl lie about her father to to the man named Ted?
10. What is the timing of the relocation effort and why was the woman's husband arrested prior to this relocation?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)