|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the girl throw out the train window?
2. Who is the mother's former housekeeper who is also at the camp?
(a) Mrs. Itou
(b) Mrs. Kobayashi
(c) Mrs. Saitou
(d) Mrs. Ueno.
3. The boy has a picture of whom fastened to the wall?
(b) Mickey Mouse.
(c) Joe DiMaggio.
(d) Little Orphan Annie.
4. Who is the Japanese Emperor?
5. Where does the woman store all the boxes packed with household items?
(a) The garage.
(b) A locked room in the house.
(c) The basement.
(d) A storage shed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main story of newspapers during this time?
2. What did the girl's father send her for her birthday?
3. The woman packs away comics and _______________ in her son's room.
4. How often does the girl's father write letters to the family?
5. What does the boy often watch with his sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the woman goes about packing up the family's belongings.
2. How are Japanese-Americans notified that they are to be relocated and what indicates that people are preparing?
3. Describe the living conditions of the mother, the boy and the girl in Utah.
4. How do the girl's recollection of the family trip to Yosemite and her father's travels provide some insight into the father's arrest?
5. What does the boy think he might have done that caused the family to be in such distressing situations?
6. What is the girl prompted to remember when viewing the image on a playing card?
7. What is the boy's life like at the camp?
8. What is the premise of WHEN THE EMPEROR WAS DIVINE?
9. How does the father recognize the girl's birthday even though he is incarcerated?
10. How is the girl's naivete exhibited when she waves to people from the train?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)