|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wakes the people who are sleeping on the train?
(a) The train's whistle.
(b) The screeching of brakes.
(c) A brick thrown through the window.
(d) A gun shot.
2. What did the girl's father send her for her birthday?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A set of oil paints.
(c) A bottle of perfume.
(d) A collection of books.
3. This book is about a ________________________ family.
4. The image on the back of a playing card the girl sees is _____________________.
(a) The Grand Canyon.
(b) Yosemite National Park.
(c) The Statue of Liberty.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
5. What does the woman in #70 do when she sees the boy's mother one day?
(a) Walks the other way.
(b) Bows deeply before her.
(c) Spits on her.
(d) Carries her bucket of water for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy sometimes wonder about why his father was sent away and the rest of the family sent to the desert?
2. What treat does the hardware store owner give to the woman for her children?
3. In what year does the story begin?
4. Who took the boy's father away in the middle of the night?
5. When had the woman's husband been arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the hardware store owner's actions significant?
2. What does the woman do to the old dog?
3. What does the girl tell a man about her father as they wait in line for the restroom?
4. Where is the family headed in September 1942 and where had they been living since the spring of the year?
5. What directions does the mother give the boy for his behavior in the camp?
6. Describe the last ordinary night the family has in their home.
7. What is the premise of WHEN THE EMPEROR WAS DIVINE?
8. How is the girl's naivete exhibited when she waves to people from the train?
9. What does the soldier advise the girl to stop doing on the train and what does he make the train's occupants do while passing through a town in Nevada?
10. Who is Mrs. Ueno and how does she act with the boy's mother in the camp?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)