|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At school the teachers and other students are polite but ______________.
2. Which of the following is NOT a term the father uses to describe Americans?
(c) Big eyes.
(d) Perfect teeth.
3. Why is one family in camp sent back to Japan?
(a) The man was convicted of being a Japanese spy.
(b) The man incited riots in the camp.
(c) The man wrote too many letters to relatives in Japan.
(d) The man would not agree to serve in the military.
4. Why did a guard kill one of the internees one night?
(a) He said the man was going to shoot him.
(b) He said the man was going to shoot into the camp.
(c) He said the man attacked him with a knife.
(d) He said the man was trying to escape.
5. What was the boy's father wearing when he was taken away by the authorities?
(a) Bowling shirt and slacks.
(b) Bathrobe and slippers.
(c) Suit and tie.
(d) T-shirt and jeans.
6. Where does the family go in Chapter 4?
(b) San Diego.
7. What stereotype do many Americans at the time make about Japanese people?
(a) They have great business acumen.
(b) They all look alike.
(c) They are good accountants.
(d) They do not appreciate life in America.
8. How much money is the family given when released from the internment camp?
9. The father was first questioned in a room with no _______________.
(c) air conditioning.
10. Who buries the boy's pet tortoise?
(a) The mother.
(b) The sister.
(c) The boy.
(d) A guard.
11. Where is the father at this point in time?
(a) He has been sent to Japan.
(b) He is at home.
(c) He is still incarcerated.
(d) He is working in New York.
12. Where had the boy left his bicycle before leaving home?
(a) In the basement of the house.
(b) At the neighbor's house.
(c) Chained to a tree in the backyard.
(d) In a storage locker.
13. The father sarcastically says that he gave ____________________ to the enemy for free.
(c) U.S. defense maps.
(d) Communication codes.
14. The family learns that a possible reason they had not received mail from friends is because ____________________.
(a) they did not know where to address the letters.
(b) the mailman told them it was a crime to send letters to internees.
(c) there was a shortage of stationery items during the war.
(d) postage costs were too prohibitive.
15. What is geta?
(a) Japanese paper.
(b) Japanese rice.
(c) Japanese footwear.
(d) Japanese wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father admits to poisoning the water and ______________.
2. What personal element from his father did the boy save?
3. Why is the family afraid to sleep in the house?
4. Why does the mother have a hard time finding a job?
5. Why does the boys' mother leave some clothing of his father's hanging in the closet?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)