|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The father sarcastically says that he signaled to Japanese aviators with ____________________.
(b) car lights.
(d) red paper lanterns.
2. How does the boy know that his mother is depressed?
(a) She doesn't pay any attention to him.
(b) She won't eat anything.
(c) She won't get out of bed.
(d) She yells at him all the time.
3. How long had the family been gone from its home?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Three years and five months.
(c) Five years.
(d) One year.
4. What is the father's attitude now?
(a) Anxious to rebuild his life.
(b) Bitter toward the world.
(c) Content with his life.
(d) Joyful at the chance to travel again.
5. When the boy's sister comes in at night she smells like __________________.
(b) after-shave lotion.
6. The father admits to sabotaging _________________.
(b) the transportation system.
(c) the broadcast network.
(d) the post office.
7. The children work hard helping their mother ____________________.
(a) sew new clothes.
(b) write letters to their father.
(c) plant a garden.
(d) clean the house.
8. When the boy listens to the radio at night, he imagines himself to be ______________________.
(a) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(b) Joe DiMaggio.
(c) a heroic and decorated soldier.
(d) Gene Autry.
9. What advice does the boy receive from his father in a letter?
(a) The early bird gets the worm.
(b) Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
(c) Stay the course.
(d) It is better to bend than to break.
10. What does the father say is what he most wanted to say about everything?
(a) I'd do it again.
(b) I'm sorry.
(c) We'll get you someday.
(d) You deserved everything you got.
11. The period of World War II was filled with fear and _________________ toward Japanese-Americans.
12. Where was the boy's father held after his arrest?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) San Diego.
(d) San Francisco.
13. Why is the boy worried about his sister?
(a) She won't get out of bed.
(b) She cries all the time.
(c) She spends more time with other kids.
(d) She talks about suicide.
14. What was the boy's father wearing when he was taken away by the authorities?
(a) T-shirt and jeans.
(b) Bathrobe and slippers.
(c) Bowling shirt and slacks.
(d) Suit and tie.
15. The mother reminds the children that many Japanese families have lost their ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father sarcastically admits to cutting arrow-shaped swaths through which fields?
2. What does the boy's sister make him do when she changes clothes?
3. What happened to the money from the house rental?
4. What was kept on for days as the father was left in the room?
5. The father provides examples of ___________________ of Japanese people.
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)