|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the boy's sister comes in at night she smells like __________________.
(a) after-shave lotion.
2. Where had the boy left his bicycle before leaving home?
(a) Chained to a tree in the backyard.
(b) In the basement of the house.
(c) At the neighbor's house.
(d) In a storage locker.
3. How do most people in town greet the family?
4. The period of World War II was filled with fear and _________________ toward Japanese-Americans.
5. Soldiers return home from the war with stories of _______________________.
(b) atrocities in Japanese prison camps.
(d) their comrades.
6. The father admits to sabotaging _________________.
(a) the transportation system.
(b) the broadcast network.
(c) the post office.
7. What is the father's attitude now?
(a) Content with his life.
(b) Bitter toward the world.
(c) Joyful at the chance to travel again.
(d) Anxious to rebuild his life.
8. Who is the author of this book?
(a) Jennifer Watanabe.
(b) Julia Nakamura.
(c) Julie Takahashi.
(d) Julie Otsuka.
9. Why does the boys' mother leave some clothing of his father's hanging in the closet?
(a) So she would remember to donate it to charity.
(b) So he would have something to wear when he got home.
(c) So she could feel her husband's spirit in the house.
(d) So the boy could remember him.
10. The father sarcastically says that he gave ____________________ to the enemy for free.
(a) Communication codes.
(b) U.S. defense maps.
11. Why does the mother have a hard time finding a job?
(a) Most people will not hire Japanese people.
(b) She is too old.
(c) She is limited because she has no car.
(d) There are no jobs due to bad economy.
12. What does the boy's sister make him do when she changes clothes?
(a) Turn off the light.
(b) Leave the room.
(c) Turn his head.
(d) Put up a room divider.
13. Which of the following is NOT a derogatory nickname for Japanese people?
14. The children work hard helping their mother ____________________.
(a) clean the house.
(b) plant a garden.
(c) write letters to their father.
(d) sew new clothes.
15. The father sarcastically says that he is the grinning fat man in the straw hat selling _______________ by the side of the road.
(a) Buddha statues.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father's tone in his admission to all the horrible things that he did not do is an example of _______________.
2. What had the mother buried in the yard before leaving?
3. Why is the boy worried about his sister?
4. What does the mother caution her children about?
5. Where does the family go in Chapter 4?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)