|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What personal element from his father did the boy save?
(b) Clothes brush.
(c) Cuff links.
(d) Shaving razor.
2. What does someone throw through a window of the house one night?
(a) A statue.
(b) A brick.
(c) A whiskey bottle.
(d) A rock.
3. The mother reminds the children that many Japanese families have lost their ______________.
4. The father sarcastically says that he signaled to Japanese aviators with ____________________.
(a) car lights.
(b) red paper lanterns.
5. What does the boy imagine doing with his father when his father returns?
(a) Having a conversation.
(b) Listening to the radio.
(c) Going fishing.
(d) Taking a walk.
6. How many of the camp's residents freeze to death in the sub-zero weather?
7. What advice does the boy receive from his father in a letter?
(a) Stay the course.
(b) The early bird gets the worm.
(c) It is better to bend than to break.
(d) Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
8. Where was the boy's father held after his arrest?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) San Diego.
9. The father sarcastically admits to spying on airfields, naval yards and ________________.
10. Why doe the Army recruiters come to the camp again?
(a) To administer loyalty tests.
(b) To check on hygiene issues.
(c) To give some internees jobs.
(d) To bring Christmas gifts.
11. Where is the father at this point in time?
(a) He has been sent to Japan.
(b) He is still incarcerated.
(c) He is working in New York.
(d) He is at home.
12. Why did a guard kill one of the internees one night?
(a) He said the man attacked him with a knife.
(b) He said the man was going to shoot into the camp.
(c) He said the man was going to shoot him.
(d) He said the man was trying to escape.
13. Which of the following is NOT a derogatory nickname for Japanese people?
14. The father speaks for ______________________.
(a) the merchants.
(b) the U.S. military.
(c) his ancestors.
(d) all Japanese-Americans.
15. Why does the mother look for a job?
(a) She wants to be patriotic.
(b) She is bored.
(c) All the money is gone.
(d) She needs adult interaction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a term the father uses to describe Americans?
2. What is the father's tone in this chapter?
3. Soldiers return home from the war with stories of _______________________.
4. The boy and girl are both determined to ___________________________.
5. The father admits to poisoning the water and ______________.
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)