|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The father sarcastically says that he signaled to Japanese aviators with ____________________.
(a) car lights.
(d) red paper lanterns.
2. The mother reminds the children that many Japanese families have lost their ______________.
3. What is the father's tone in this chapter?
4. The father sarcastically admits to stealing ______________________ and selling them to the enemy to melt down for bullets.
(a) door knobs.
(c) nails out of white picket fences.
5. Why can the father not work in the company he had worked for before?
(a) It has no job openings.
(b) It is under new management.
(c) It is no longer in business.
(d) It has moved out of state.
6. Because his father is listed as a dangerous enemy alien, the boy envisions him as ___________________.
(a) a spy.
(b) an Old West outlaw.
(c) a Russian.
(d) a space creature.
7. Why is one of the camp residents beaten one night?
(a) For trying to escape.
(b) For being a suspected FBI informant.
(c) For destroying property.
(d) For stealing food.
8. What month is it in Chapter 3?
9. What does the boy imagine doing with his father when his father returns?
(a) Taking a walk.
(b) Going fishing.
(c) Listening to the radio.
(d) Having a conversation.
10. What personal element from his father did the boy save?
(b) Cuff links.
(c) Clothes brush.
(d) Shaving razor.
11. Which of the following does NOT describe the state of the family's house when they see it again?
12. What had the mother buried in the yard before leaving?
(a) The coin collection.
(b) The family's cash.
(c) The family heirlooms.
(d) The silverware.
13. The father implies that no rational person would believe him to be anything other than an American man _______________________.
(a) interested in espionage.
(b) trying to make a living.
(c) of Japanese ancestry.
(d) who is a spy.
14. Why doe the Army recruiters come to the camp again?
(a) To give some internees jobs.
(b) To bring Christmas gifts.
(c) To administer loyalty tests.
(d) To check on hygiene issues.
15. The father admits to poisoning the water and ______________.
(b) soft drinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buries the boy's pet tortoise?
2. What has happened to the family possessions locked away in a room of the house?
3. Who is the author of this book?
4. The period of World War II was filled with fear and _________________ toward Japanese-Americans.
5. Why does the mother look for a job?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)