|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Breuer dismisses Nietzsche's final argument against treatment, what does Breuer ask him?
2. According to Nietzsche, why has he agreed to meet with Breuer?
3. In Nietzsche's letter to Peter Gast, what does he write about concerning his hospital stay?
4. In Nietzsche's letter to Peter Gast, how does he write about Lou Salome?
5. What does Nietzsche want to do for Breuer during their sessions?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Breuer completes Nietzsche's second session, Lou Salome visits Breuer's office. Why does she storm out after Breuer talks to her?
2. How does Breuer behave in getting Nietzsche to agree to treatment?
3. What happens during the first session between Nietzsche and Breuer?
4. What kind of relationship does Breuer have with Max as opposed to Mathilde?
5. How does Nietzsche react about Breuer's answers to his three questions?
6. How do Breuer and Nietzsche's life goals parallel each other?
7. How does Nietzsche feel about Breuer as they continue to discuss treatment options?
8. Why do Nietzsche and Breuer spend so much time angry during their treatments?
9. How does Breuer feel as Nietzsche leaves his office?
10. How is Breuer the evening after Nietzsche leaves his office without treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the deepest symbol of the novel and why?
Essay Topic 2
What are Lou Salome's motives concerning Nietzsche?
Essay Topic 3
How does Breuer's control over situations at his office and at the hospital differ? Why would this be?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)