|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mathilde call Freud as a nickname?
2. What is Josef's relationship with Bertha?
3. How does Nietzsche behave when discussing his illness, symptoms, and physical well being?
4. What does Nietzsche believe is "the final evil"?
5. What does Breuer believe is a physician's duty toward a patient?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Nietzsche's personal copies of his books provide for Breuer?
2. What is Freud's relationship with Josef's family?
3. Why does Nietzsche allow Breuer to read his books?
4. Why would Nietzsche be so open about his physical ailments but so reserved about his mental ones?
5. What contributes to Nietzsche being a difficult patient?
6. What is ironic about Freud's relationship with the Breuers?
7. Why would the author leave Chapter 5 with Nietzsche ready to ask Breuer three questions?
8. What is foreshadowed by Josef's admittance that he had an affair with a patient?
9. What does Nietzsche's life style say about him?
10. Are Elisabeth's actions helping or hurting Nietzsche and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the effect of having characters which readers never meet?
Essay Topic 2
What are Lou Salome's motives concerning Nietzsche?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Nietzsche's view of "dying at the right time." Is this a valid argument or not? Why?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)