|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nietzsche not know about his books and Breuer?
2. What kind of physicians has Nietzsche previously seen?
3. When Breuer reads Nietzsche's books, what does he find in the margins?
4. What is Josef's relationship with Bertha?
5. What does Nietzsche do every time Breuer starts to discuss suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lou's attitude about Nietzsche during her first meetings with Josef?
2. Why might Lou include information about Elisabeth to Dr. Breuer?
3. What are Nietzsche's motives behind asking the three questions?
4. How does Breuer's relationship with Bertha immediately bring a conflict to the story?
5. What could Breuer's dream about Bertha mean?
6. Why would Nietzsche write books that he allows his publisher to hide?
7. How does Freud help in Nietzsche's diagnosis and treatment?
8. What drives Lou to seek treatment for Nietzsche?
9. Why would the author leave Chapter 5 with Nietzsche ready to ask Breuer three questions?
10. Why would Nietzsche be so open about his physical ailments but so reserved about his mental ones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Nietzsche's view of "dying at the right time." Is this a valid argument or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What methods does Nietzsche use to cope with stress?
Essay Topic 3
How is the title accurate in its promise of a turning point of "When Nietzsche Wept"?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)