|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Breuer describe Nietzsche the first time he sees him which he did not expect?
2. Nietzsche tells Breuer he normally lives ________________.
3. When Breuer reads Nietzsche's books, what does he do with them?
4. What does Lou confide in Josef that she is specifically worried about with her friend Nietzsche?
5. Where has Nietzsche previously had a professorship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by Josef's admittance that he had an affair with a patient?
2. What does Nietzsche's exclamation "hope is the final evil" explain about him?
3. Why would Lou take such an interest in helping Nietzsche?
4. How does Lou treat Josef in his office?
5. What contributes to Nietzsche being a difficult patient?
6. Why would the author leave Chapter 5 with Nietzsche ready to ask Breuer three questions?
7. What could Breuer's dream about Bertha mean?
8. What do Nietzsche's personal copies of his books provide for Breuer?
9. What are Nietzsche's motives behind asking the three questions?
10. What can readers infer about the effort of so many people working to get Nietzsche into treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Lou Salome's character an anachronism ?
Essay Topic 2
Is the ending of the novel, with Breuer's transformation, realistic? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nietzsche's obsession with Lou Salome parallel Breuer's obsession with Bertha?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)