|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Breuer do for Nietzsche at the guest house?
(a) Covers him with ice packs.
(b) Gives him pain pills.
(c) Gives him strong coffee.
(d) Gets his heart rate under control.
2. Breuer believes that both he and Nietzsche are suffering from _____________.
(b) An obsession.
(c) A lack of friends.
(d) Too much research.
3. With whom does Breuer do his Friday ritual?
(a) Betty Sue.
(d) His sons.
4. The morning after Nietzsche reads a letter from Elisabeth, what does Mathilde express as a concern with Josef's professional life?
(a) She thinks he rents too many hospital rooms.
(b) She thinks he needs to continue his education.
(c) She worries he spends too much time with Nietzsche.
(d) She worries he belongs to wrong organizations.
5. In the middle of the night following Breuer's conversation with Max, who pounds on Breuer's door?
(a) A former professor.
(c) A man he doesn't recognize.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breuer think he is missing in his life that leads him to obsess over Bertha?
2. At the start of their second session, what subject does Nietzsche want to avoid with Breuer?
3. Why does Herr Schlegel not want Nietzsche to die in the guest house?
4. As Breuer dismisses Nietzsche's final argument against treatment, what does Breuer ask him?
5. As Nietzsche and Breuer walk through the cemetery, they start to think the Bertha-obsession is rooted in___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Breuer's attitude about Max's advice?
2. What is Breuer's motive in sharing his dream with Nietzsche?
3. What is the importance of the setting for Josef and Mathilde's argument?
4. What does the letter to Peter Gast reveal?
5. How does Breuer begin treating Nietzsche once Nietzsche won't go to treatment?
6. Why would Breuer begin the consultations with the same approach that he has previously used?
7. Why might Nietzsche's migraines have subsided now that he is in the hospital?
8. How do Breuer and Nietzsche's life goals parallel each other?
9. How does Breuer behave in getting Nietzsche to agree to treatment?
10. How is Breuer the evening after Nietzsche leaves his office without treatment?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)