|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of doctor is Max?
2. When Nietzsche arrives to hear the answers for his three questions, what does Breuer tell him about his migraines?
(a) His migraines should become less severe as he ages.
(b) Mental problems lead to migraines.
(c) All writers get them.
(d) He can prescribe medicine for migraines.
3. What does Nietzsche accuse Breuer of being after Nietzsche refuses the treatment plan Breuer designed for him?
(a) He is prideful and arrogant.
(b) He is cruel and unkind.
(c) He is unknowledgeable and pushy.
(d) He is wrong and stubborn.
4. What does Breuer normally do later on Friday evenings?
(a) Sips brandy in bed.
(b) Puts wood in the fireplace.
(c) Cleans the kitchen.
(d) Retires to his study.
5. What does Breuer try to slip into the discussion during Nietzsche's first session with him?
(a) Nietzsche's mother's death.
(b) Nietzsche's philosophical beliefs.
(c) Nietzsche's suicide attempts.
(d) Lou Salome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Herr Schlegel?
2. In Nietzsche's letter to Peter Gast, what does he write about concerning his hospital stay?
3. As Breuer dismisses Nietzsche's final argument against treatment, how does Nietzsche respond to Breuer's request?
4. What does Breuer do for Nietzsche at the guest house?
5. As Breuer dismisses Nietzsche's final argument against treatment, what does Breuer ask Nietzsche about his treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nietzsche act out of character during his illness?
2. How do Breuer and Nietzsche's life goals parallel each other?
3. How does Breuer behave in getting Nietzsche to agree to treatment?
4. How does Nietzsche behave after he becomes lucid? Why?
5. How does Breuer feel about his success in treating Nietzsche?
6. Why would Breuer begin the consultations with the same approach that he has previously used?
7. What is the importance of the setting for Josef and Mathilde's argument?
8. What is Breuer's attitude about Max's advice?
9. How is Breuer the evening after Nietzsche leaves his office without treatment?
10. How does Breuer feel as Nietzsche leaves his office?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)