|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lou gives Josef many letters from Nietzsche which reveal _____________.
(a) His childhood abuse.
(b) His terrible body images.
(c) His suicidal tendencies.
(d) His headaches.
2. After Nietzsche and Breuer's initial meeting, why does Breuer become upset about Bertha?
(a) He thinks that Nietzsche will use the situation with Bertha against him.
(b) He's worried about the bad news about Bertha.
(c) He wants Bertha to be happy with Nietzsche.
(d) He feels ravaged by his obsession with Bertha.
3. What does Mathilde confide to Freud concerning her marriage?
(a) Josef doesn't talk to her anymore.
(b) She has spoken to a divorce attorney.
(c) She is having an affair.
(d) She fears Josef is dating again.
4. When Breuer reads Nietzsche's books, what does he do with them?
(a) He tears certain pages out.
(b) He skims them quickly.
(c) He puts them away.
(d) He spends a good amount of time reading them.
5. Where has Nietzsche previously had a professorship?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Josef and Lou have their second meeting?
2. On his way home after his first office visit with Lou Salome, whom does Breuer see walking in the rain?
3. What do Breuer and Nietzsche later discuss during their first meeting?
4. Lou gives Josef a letter from Nietzsche; what does Nietzsche's letter to Lou reveal?
5. What topics do Nietzsche's philosophies cover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nietzsche allow Breuer to read his books?
2. What could Breuer's dream about Bertha mean?
3. Why would Nietzsche write books that he allows his publisher to hide?
4. What contributes to Nietzsche being a difficult patient?
5. What does Nietzsche's life style say about him?
6. Why would Lou take such an interest in helping Nietzsche?
7. Describe Freud's relationship with Josef.
8. What do Nietzsche's personal copies of his books provide for Breuer?
9. What expectations does Breuer have concerning Nietzsche?
10. How does Nietzsche's resignation at Basel indirectly characterize him?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)