|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Nietzsche give Breuer for not reading?
(a) His arguments with authors.
(b) His dislike for literature.
(c) His lack of time.
(d) His failing eyesight.
2. How should Josef react about Lou during treatment with Nietzsche, according to Lou?
(a) To side with her.
(b) Not to mention the "unholy Trinity."
(c) Not to align himself with her.
(d) To pretend he's never heard her name.
3. When Breuer asks Nietzsche where to purchase his books, what does Nietzsche tell him?
(a) His publisher has hidden the books from the world.
(b) His books are unpublished.
(c) Any bookstore will have the books.
(d) Only university bookstores carry his books.
4. What does Nietzsche believe is "the final evil"?
5. How does Lou describe Elisabeth to Josef?
(a) Fun, out of control, and silly.
(b) Anti-Semantic, mean-spirited, and divisive.
(c) Ignorant, uneducated, and clumsy.
(d) Bland, ordinary, and simple.
Short Answer Questions
1. A week after Lou meets Breuer at his office, she sends him a note that states what?
2. What does Nietzsche believe is a physician's duty toward a patient?
3. What is Freud busy doing instead of writing and researching?
4. What does Mathilde confide to Freud concerning her marriage?
5. What is Josef's relationship with Bertha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Freud's relationship with Josef's family?
2. What contributes to Nietzsche being a difficult patient?
3. Why might Lou include information about Elisabeth to Dr. Breuer?
4. Why would Nietzsche be so open about his physical ailments but so reserved about his mental ones?
5. What is Lou's attitude about Nietzsche during her first meetings with Josef?
6. What could Breuer's dream about Bertha mean?
7. What drives Lou to seek treatment for Nietzsche?
8. How does Freud help in Nietzsche's diagnosis and treatment?
9. What can readers infer about the effort of so many people working to get Nietzsche into treatment?
10. What do Nietzsche's personal copies of his books provide for Breuer?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)