|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Breuer asks Nietzsche where to purchase his books, what does Nietzsche tell him?
(a) His books are unpublished.
(b) His publisher has hidden the books from the world.
(c) Only university bookstores carry his books.
(d) Any bookstore will have the books.
2. Nietzsche tells Breuer he normally lives ________________.
(a) In the dorm where he teaches.
(b) In mental facilities.
(c) At friends' houses.
(d) In hotels.
3. What does Nietzsche believe is a physician's duty toward a patient?
(a) To provide written documentation for them.
(b) To gain trust before treatment begins.
(c) To give him examples of successful patients.
(d) To tell the absolute truth.
4. What does Breuer believe physicians should offer to patients?
(a) Shock treatment.
(d) Recommendations to other doctors.
5. During their second meeting, what advice does Lou give Josef concerning treating Nietzsche?
(a) Not to discuss Elisabeth.
(b) To practice free association with him.
(c) Not to attempt hypnotism on him.
(d) To analyze his childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Freud and Breuer discuss after Breuer spends some time reading Nietzsche's books?
2. What does Nietzsche not know about his books and Breuer?
3. How does Lou describe Elisabeth to Josef?
4. How will Nietzsche get copies of his books to Breuer?
5. After Nietzsche asks his three questions, what do Nietzsche and Breuer debate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Nietzsche's motives behind asking the three questions?
2. What do Nietzsche's personal copies of his books provide for Breuer?
3. What preconceived idea does Breuer have about Nietzsche that is incorrect?
4. What expectations does Breuer have concerning Nietzsche?
5. Are Elisabeth's actions helping or hurting Nietzsche and why?
6. What is foreshadowed by Josef's admittance that he had an affair with a patient?
7. Why might Lou include information about Elisabeth to Dr. Breuer?
8. Why would the author leave Chapter 5 with Nietzsche ready to ask Breuer three questions?
9. What could Breuer's dream about Bertha mean?
10. How does Breuer's patient list characterize him?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)