|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their first session, how does Nietzsche behave as he talks to Breuer?
(a) He sits intently.
(b) He rolls his eyes.
(c) He dozes.
(d) He takes copious notes.
2. What does Josef think Mathilde is really accusing him of on the morning after Nietzsche reads a letter from Elisabeth?
(a) Talking to Freud when he should talk to her.
(b) Being with Bertha.
(c) Keeping secrets.
(d) Gambling too much.
3. Where did Max and Breuer first meet?
(a) At a wedding.
(b) In elementary school.
(c) In medical school.
(d) At church.
4. On the Monday morning following his illness, when does Nietzsche plan to see Breuer again?
(a) In a month.
(c) Later that night.
(d) When he is ill again.
5. As Breuer tells Nietzsche during their second session, why is Breuer unhappy in his marriage?
(a) He married too young.
(b) The marriage was not his choice.
(c) Mathilde is cruel to him.
(d) They are in debt.
6. The morning after Nietzsche reads a letter from Elisabeth, what do Josef and Mathilde argue about?
(a) How much money Josef spends on himself.
(b) When Josef gets home from work.
(c) How much time Josef spends with his patients.
(d) Why Josef won't move offices.
7. What does Breuer tell Nietzsche about his health after his attack?
(a) Traveling so soon after is very dangerous.
(b) Getting migraines will be more common now.
(c) Bringing stress into his life will be deadly.
(d) Recovering completely is impossible now.
8. As Breuer dismisses Nietzsche's final argument against treatment, what does Nietzsche prepare to do?
(a) Leave Breuer's office.
(b) Visit his editor.
(c) Go to the store.
(d) Teach a class.
9. What is Nietzsche's second corrective behavior technique every time Breuer thinks of Bertha?
(a) Breuer is to pull his hair.
(b) Breuer is to slap his thigh.
(c) Breuer is to read a passage from the Hebrew Bible.
(d) Breuer is to put a pebble in his shoe and walk around with it all day when he thinks of Bertha.
10. During their second session, what does Breuer confess about his feelings towards his professional and personal life?
(a) His life is at a dead end.
(b) He will never reach his goals.
(c) He does not make enough money.
(d) He disagrees with his past actions.
11. Who is Herr Schlegel?
(a) A movie director.
(b) A military veteran.
(c) Another doctor.
(d) A waiter.
12. What is Nietzsche's last argument against the suggested course of treatment?
(a) He cannot afford it.
(b) He has a deadline.
(c) He will not have his books with him.
(d) He is scared.
13. What does Nietzsche believe about Breuer's motivation to help him?
(a) There is too much excitement from Breuer.
(b) Breuer only wants Nietzsche's money.
(c) There is something dishonest about Breuer's motivation.
(d) Breuer only wants fame from treating Nietzsche.
14. What kind of doctor is Max?
15. What does Max suggest Breuer do with Nietzsche?
(a) Allow Nietzsche to lead his own therapy.
(b) Put Freud in charge of Nietzsche's case.
(c) Take Nietzsche to the park.
(d) Learn something from Nietzsche.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doe Breuer tell Nietzsche that someone called him when he was a boy?
2. What plan does Breuer propose to Nietzsche on the Monday morning following Nietzsche's illness?
3. How did Breuer choose his life goals?
4. What does Breuer normally do later on Friday evenings?
5. How does Breuer feel about the consultation with Nietzsche when Nietzsche refuses treatment?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)