|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max accuse Breuer of doing to Nietzsche?
(a) Trying to write a book about him.
(b) Trying to help Lou, not Nietzsche.
(c) Trying to punch holes in his philosophy.
(d) Trying to make money off his case.
2. Where does Nietzsche plan to go after refusing treatment in the consultation?
(b) His boyhood home.
(c) His office.
(d) The cemetery.
3. According to Nietzsche, why has he agreed to meet with Breuer?
(a) He knew he needed help.
(b) He worried his other physicians were against him.
(c) He needed another prescription from a different doctor.
(d) His friends strongly recommended Breuer.
4. When Breuer sees Nietzsche after his attack, how does Breuer believe he feels about helping Nietzsche?
5. How does Breuer feel about Mathilde's meddling in his professional life a few months ago?
(a) He thinks she was bored.
(b) He wishes she wasn't so mean.
(c) He thinks she was unfair.
(d) He now realizes she was right.
6. At the start of their second session, what does Breuer want to do concerning Nietzsche's treatment?
(a) To help Nietzsche not worry about Lou.
(b) To get Nietzsche to travel.
(c) To make Nietzsche stop being so private.
(d) To encourage Nietzsche's writing.
7. Who is Herr Schlegel?
(a) A waiter.
(b) A movie director.
(c) A military veteran.
(d) Another doctor.
8. What does Nietzsche accuse Breuer of being after Nietzsche refuses the treatment plan Breuer designed for him?
(a) He is cruel and unkind.
(b) He is wrong and stubborn.
(c) He is unknowledgeable and pushy.
(d) He is prideful and arrogant.
9. After Lou storms out and the session continues, how do both men feel?
10. As Breuer dismisses Nietzsche's final argument against treatment, how does Nietzsche respond to Breuer's request?
(a) Nietzsche is ready.
(b) Nietzsche is nervous.
(c) Nietzsche is far from ready.
(d) Nietzsche is reserved, but knows he must start.
11. The morning after Nietzsche reads a letter from Elisabeth, what do Josef and Mathilde argue about?
(a) How much money Josef spends on himself.
(b) Why Josef won't move offices.
(c) When Josef gets home from work.
(d) How much time Josef spends with his patients.
12. After the second session, what does Lou give Breuer?
(b) More of Nietzsche's books.
(c) Letters from Nietzsche.
13. At the start of their second session, what subject does Nietzsche want to avoid with Breuer?
(b) Breuer's lust.
14. What tradition does the Breuer family hold with Mathilde's sister and their families?
(a) Birthday celebrations.
(b) Christmas caroling.
(c) Thanksgiving breakfast.
(d) Friday evening supper.
15. What is Nietzsche's first reaction to Breuer's proposed plan?
(a) He is very opposed to the plan.
(b) He thinks he should ask Lou about the plan.
(c) He laughs at the plan.
(d) He is eager to begin the plan.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he is better, where does Nietzsche want to go?
2. During their first session, how does Nietzsche behave as he talks to Breuer?
3. As Breuer dismisses Nietzsche's final argument against treatment, what does Breuer ask Nietzsche about his treatment?
4. When Nietzsche becomes lucid, how does he behave toward Breuer?
5. As Breuer tells Nietzsche during their second session, why is Breuer unhappy in his marriage?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)