|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Breuer try to get Nietzsche to agree to his desired course of treatment?
(a) Breuer insults Nietzsche's former doctors.
(b) Breuer applies argument after argument.
(c) Breuer quotes Lou in his arguments.
(d) Breuer uses Nietzsche's books to support his ideas.
2. After Lou storms out, what does Breuer try to get Nietzsche to open up about during the session?
(a) The loss of his job.
(b) His academic struggles.
(c) His financial problems.
(d) Lou Salome.
3. What kind of doctor is Max?
4. How does Nietzsche behave toward Breuer as Breuer gets his heart under control?
5. What doe Breuer tell Nietzsche that someone called him when he was a boy?
(a) "The beast of the West."
(b) "The mighty and strong boy."
(c) "The growth for the future."
(d) "The lad of infinite promise."
6. After Lou storms out and the session continues, how do both men feel?
7. Why does Herr Schlegel not want Nietzsche to die in the guest house?
(a) It would be bad for business.
(b) It would hurt his emotional health.
(c) It would force him to deal with the police.
(d) It would cost him money.
8. What does Breuer think he is missing in his life that leads him to obsess over Bertha?
(c) His children's adoration.
(d) A look from his wife.
9. With whom does Breuer do his Friday ritual?
(a) His sons.
(b) Betty Sue.
10. What does Max suggest Breuer do with Nietzsche?
(a) Learn something from Nietzsche.
(b) Put Freud in charge of Nietzsche's case.
(c) Take Nietzsche to the park.
(d) Allow Nietzsche to lead his own therapy.
11. At the pastry shop, how does Freud react to Breuer's feelings concerning Bertha?
(a) Freud mocks Breuer.
(b) Freud is fascinated.
(c) Freud is intrigued.
(d) Freud ignores Bruer.
12. When Nietzsche arrives to hear the answers for his three questions, what does Breuer tell him about his migraines?
(a) His migraines should become less severe as he ages.
(b) All writers get them.
(c) He can prescribe medicine for migraines.
(d) Mental problems lead to migraines.
13. Where did Max and Breuer first meet?
(a) At a wedding.
(b) In elementary school.
(c) In medical school.
(d) At church.
14. How does Breuer feel about the consultation with Nietzsche when Nietzsche refuses treatment?
(a) It was aggravating.
(b) It was moving positively.
(c) He had control of it.
(d) It slipped through his hands.
15. Why did Mathilde dislike Eva?
(a) Josef and Eva had an unusually close relationship.
(b) Eva was beautiful and kind.
(c) Eva had lots of money.
(d) Eva stole Mathilde's old boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Breuer choose his life goals?
2. Who is buried in the cemetery Nietzsche and Breuer walk around?
3. What is Nietzsche's second corrective behavior technique every time Breuer thinks of Bertha?
4. In Nietzsche's letter to Peter Gast, what does he write about concerning his hospital stay?
5. On his way home, Breuer meets Freud at the pastry shop and explains what situation to Freud?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)