|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Nietzsche asks his three questions, what do Nietzsche and Breuer debate?
(a) The relationship between a doctor and the patient.
(b) The kind of information that can be released to the patient's family.
(c) Which treatment forms are ethical.
(d) The physician's responsibility of truthfulness with their patients.
2. What does Breuer think of Nietzsche's philosophies?
(a) Strange and arresting.
(b) Narrow and biased.
(c) Shallow and mean.
(d) Insightful, yet cruel.
3. When will Lou and Josef meet again after their first meeting?
(a) On Tuesday.
(b) In a month.
(d) In a week.
4. What does Lou think about the reality of Nietzsche seeking help on his own after as she meets with Josef for the first time?
5. How does Breuer react to Nietzsche's three questions?
(a) He is speechless.
(b) He is overcome with laughter.
(c) He rolls his eyes.
(d) He becomes agitated.
6. According to Nietzsche's conversation with Breuer, where does he get many of his ideas?
(a) In bed.
(b) By Lou's side.
(c) On walks.
(d) At the library.
7. According to Lou, what will Dr. Overbeck do to help with Nietzsche?
(a) Dr. Overbeck will prescribe Nietzsche new medicine.
(b) Dr. Overbeck will hypnotize Nietzsche so he thinks he wants to see Dr. Breuer.
(c) Dr. Overbeck will mail Nietzsche's patient files to Dr. Breuer.
(d) Dr. Overbeck wil exert his influence with Nietzsche to get him to see Dr. Breuer.
8. When Breuer asks Nietzsche where to purchase his books, what does Nietzsche tell him?
(a) Any bookstore will have the books.
(b) His publisher has hidden the books from the world.
(c) His books are unpublished.
(d) Only university bookstores carry his books.
9. Nietzsche tells Breuer that his home is ______________.
(a) A bungalow.
(b) A hospital room.
(c) A steamer trunk.
(d) A shanty.
10. What is Breuer surprised about concerning Nietzsche's illness?
(a) He is surprised by the complexity of Nietzsche's illness.
(b) He is surprised another doctor hasn't made the simple diagnosis.
(c) He is surprised Nietzsche takes so many medicines.
(d) He is surprised by the physical aspects of it.
11. What method does Freud tell Breuer to use for persuading Nietzsche to pursue treatment?
(a) Use Nietzsche's own words.
(b) Use reverse psychology.
(c) Use the legal system.
(d) Use threats.
12. When Breuer reads Nietzsche's books, what does he do with them?
(a) He tears certain pages out.
(b) He spends a good amount of time reading them.
(c) He skims them quickly.
(d) He puts them away.
13. What hurts Freud's chances of fulfilling his career?
(b) A lack of money.
(c) Anti-Semite forces.
(d) His family's lack of connections.
14. On his way home after his first office visit with Lou Salome, whom does Breuer see walking in the rain?
(d) Sigmund Freud.
15. After Nietzsche and Breuer's initial meeting, what kind of night does Breuer have at home?
(a) He sleeps soundly.
(b) He fights with his wife.
(c) He can't sleep.
(d) He has a nightmare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breuer receive as he enters his office the day after his first meeting with Nietzsche?
2. Why does Josef break off his conversation with Lou during their first meeting?
3. Nietzsche tells Breuer he spends most of his time ___________.
4. Who comprises the "unholy Trinity"?
5. After Nietzsche and Breuer's initial meeting, why does Breuer become upset about Bertha?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)