|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Freud busy doing instead of writing and researching?
(a) Working a second job.
(b) Dancing and partying.
(c) Reading and learning.
(d) Sleeping and lounging.
2. Where does Lou want Josef to meet her for their first encounter?
(a) A cafe.
(b) The newspaper office.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A bar.
3. What do Nietzsche's three questions all concern?
(a) His physical self.
(b) Where he should live.
(c) How to escape from the hospital.
(d) What medicines he should take.
4. A week after Lou meets Breuer at his office, she sends him a note that states what?
(a) To treat her differently than Nietzsche.
(b) Discussions with Freud are dangerous.
(c) To forget the ideas she gave him.
(d) Their plan is working.
5. Why is Josef Breuer in Venice?
(a) He's attending a medical conference.
(b) He's visiting his parents.
(c) He's on vacation.
(d) He's a visiting professor.
6. What does Breuer think of Nietzsche's philosophies?
(a) Insightful, yet cruel.
(b) Strange and arresting.
(c) Shallow and mean.
(d) Narrow and biased.
7. How does Breuer react to Nietzsche's three questions?
(a) He rolls his eyes.
(b) He becomes agitated.
(c) He is overcome with laughter.
(d) He is speechless.
8. What kind of "voice" does Breuer think Nietzsche's books have?
(a) Calm and soothing.
(b) Anything but soft.
(c) Confusing and misleading.
(d) Nice but firm.
9. Nietzsche tells Breuer that if he hadn't resigned as a professor, he is convinced what would have happened?
(a) He would have travelled and been happy.
(b) He would have been driven away by those who didn't trust him.
(c) He would have been arrested.
(d) He would have settled down with a wife.
10. How does Breuer view his examination of Nietzsche during their first meeting?
(a) As being very thorough.
(b) As being uncaring.
(c) As being thoughtful.
(d) As being untruthful.
11. According to Lou, what will Dr. Overbeck do to help with Nietzsche?
(a) Dr. Overbeck will hypnotize Nietzsche so he thinks he wants to see Dr. Breuer.
(b) Dr. Overbeck will mail Nietzsche's patient files to Dr. Breuer.
(c) Dr. Overbeck will prescribe Nietzsche new medicine.
(d) Dr. Overbeck wil exert his influence with Nietzsche to get him to see Dr. Breuer.
12. What does Mathilde direct Freud to do when he arrives at her home?
(a) Talk to the children.
(b) Eat cookies.
(c) Sleep in Josef's bed.
(d) Take a hot bath.
13. During their second meeting, what picture does Lou show Josef?
(a) Lou in a mock wedding with Nietzsche.
(b) Paul, Lou, and Nietzsche after their college graduation.
(c) Paul and Lou holding children.
(d) Paul and Nietzsche standing and Lou in a cart holding a whip.
14. Lou gives Josef many letters from Nietzsche which reveal _____________.
(a) His suicidal tendencies.
(b) His childhood abuse.
(c) His terrible body images.
(d) His headaches.
15. When Nietzsche arrives at Breuer's office for the first time, how does he appear?
(a) Messy and unkept.
(b) Pale, cold,and weak.
(c) Strong, firm, and decisive.
(d) Organized and put-together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breuer receive as he enters his office the day after his first meeting with Nietzsche?
2. How long do Breuer and Nietzsche talk during their first meeting?
3. As Nietzsche starts to leave their first meeting, how does Breuer feel about their conversation?
4. What does Nietzsche not know about his books and Breuer?
5. During their second meeting, what advice does Lou give Josef concerning treating Nietzsche?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)