|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Breuer surprised about concerning Nietzsche's illness?
(a) He is surprised by the physical aspects of it.
(b) He is surprised by the complexity of Nietzsche's illness.
(c) He is surprised Nietzsche takes so many medicines.
(d) He is surprised another doctor hasn't made the simple diagnosis.
2. What reason does Nietzsche give Breuer for not reading?
(a) His failing eyesight.
(b) His dislike for literature.
(c) His arguments with authors.
(d) His lack of time.
3. Nietzsche tells Breuer that his home is ______________.
(a) A shanty.
(b) A hospital room.
(c) A bungalow.
(d) A steamer trunk.
4. As Nietzsche starts to leave their first meeting, how does Breuer feel about their conversation?
5. How does Breuer view Freud in relation to himself?
(a) Breuer describes Freud as himself ten or eleven years ago.
(b) Breuer believes that Freud has more charisma than he.
(c) Breuer emphasizes that Freud has more skill and devotion than he.
(d) Breuer thinks Freud is more religious than he.
6. Nietzsche tells Breuer he normally lives ________________.
(a) In hotels.
(b) At friends' houses.
(c) In mental facilities.
(d) In the dorm where he teaches.
7. What odd suggestion does Lou give to Josef concerning Nietzsche's treatment before she leaves their second meeting?
(a) Nietzsche should meet daily with Josef.
(b) Nietzsche should begin working a new job.
(c) Nietzsche should believe Lou disappeared.
(d) Nietzsche should not know he is in treatment.
8. When Breuer reads Nietzsche's books, what does he do with them?
(a) He skims them quickly.
(b) He tears certain pages out.
(c) He puts them away.
(d) He spends a good amount of time reading them.
9. What type of study does Freud prefer?
(b) Family practice.
10. How long do Breuer and Nietzsche talk during their first meeting?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) All day.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Ninety minutes.
11. Lou gives Josef many letters from Nietzsche which reveal _____________.
(a) His headaches.
(b) His childhood abuse.
(c) His terrible body images.
(d) His suicidal tendencies.
12. What topics do Nietzsche's philosophies cover?
(a) Art, nature, and politics.
(b) Publicity, theater, and aeronomics.
(c) Religion, education, and family.
(d) Ethics, prisons, and behavior.
13. What does Lou tell Josef about her friend Friedrich Nietzsche?
(a) Nietzsche is past his prime.
(b) Nietzsche needs help for his writing.
(c) Nietzsche is full of promise and influence.
(d) Nietzsche has editors stealing from him.
14. In order to dispel Josef's skepticism about treating Friedrich, what does Lou give him?
(a) Photographs of Nietzsche in trouble.
(c) His medical files.
(d) A letter to Nietzsche from Richard Wagner.
15. What is Josef's relationship with Bertha?
(a) Bertha is a patient Josef has slept with.
(b) Bertha is Josef's friend's wife.
(c) Bertha is Josef's first wife.
(d) Bertha is Josef's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lou want Josef to meet her for their first encounter?
2. On his way home after his first office visit with Lou Salome, whom does Breuer see walking in the rain?
3. A week after Lou meets Breuer at his office, she sends him a note that states what?
4. When Nietzsche arrives at Breuer's office for the first time, how does he appear?
5. What does Nietzsche do every time Breuer starts to discuss suicide?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)