|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Raymond in "Letters from New York"?
2. According to Mami, why do morenos dislike Puerto Ricans?
3. How old is Esmeralda when the family moves to New York?
4. What does Esmeralda's neighbor suggest as a solution to Mami's need for time alone?
5. When Mami returns from New York, what color are her fingernails painted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the interactions between Esmeralda's family and the taxi driver in "Angels on the Ceiling".
2. How has Mami's new appearance changed the way she interacts with people in Puerto Rico?
3. How does Francisco's family react to the news that he has cancer?
4. How has Mami's appearance changed after her return from New York?
5. Why does Esmeralda scream at Don Luis during her piano lessons?
6. How does the vision of romance which Esmeralda receives from soap operas compare with the relationship model she receives from her parents?
7. How does Esmeralda cope with the embarrassment of being singled out for her sub-standard math skills in front of the class?
8. How does Esmeralda describe her first experience of snow?
9. Explain why Esmeralda laughs at Sra. Leona at the end of "El Mangle".
10. What happens when Don Joaquin calls on sinners to cast off evil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Santiago's presentation of family in the memoir. How does she treat her own family in writing this book? Does the family provide a healthy living environment? Is her family a traditional Puerto Rican family? If not traditional, is it in any way typical of a particular socio-economic, regional, or cultural group within the nation?
Essay Topic 2
How does Santiago address issues of Puerto Rican identity in this memoir about her childhood and immigration experience? To Santiago, what does it mean to be Puerto Rican? What does it mean to be a Puerto Rican girl living in the United States? How are these two identities different? How are they similar? Support your response with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the way in which geography, location, and space are treated in the memoir. Various topics you might explore include the way Esmeralda and other people experience travel, distances, or their physical surroundings. How fluidly does the family move from one location to another? What sense of space or place does the reader receive from this book?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)