|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of music does Papi hum while he works?
2. Mami was happier before they moved to Macun. Which city did she live in before the move?
3. What color shirt does Papi want on Sunday morning?
4. What type of accent does the nutrition expert have which prevents him from being readily understood?
5. What skill does Abuela teach Esmeralda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the house Esmeralda's family moves to in "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap".
2. How does Esmeralda injure her hand at Abuela's house?
3. What is a jibara? Why does Esmeralda think she might be one?
4. Explain the concept of dignidad.
5. What is a purgante and why must the children drink them?
6. How does Esmeralda react to the news that her father has a child with another woman?
7. How does Abuela treat Esmeralda's injury?
8. When Mami comes to get Esmeralda, how does Esmeralda feel about being left at Abuela's by Papi?
9. Why does Papi cry in "Fighting Naked"?
10. What does Esmeralda's family lose in the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the memoir, Esmeralda's notions of body change depending on her age and the culture in which she is participating. Trace the evolution of Esmeralda's understanding of the body and body image. How do changes in Mami's appearance influence her understanding of body image? How do interactions with boys and men shape her perception of her own body? How do interactions with other girls influence her feelings about her body? What is the strongest influence on Esmeralda's notions of her body?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role that the arts play in Esmeralda's life. How does her education at the Performing Arts high school influence her life? Before auditioning for the Performing Arts school, what is Esmeralda's perception of the arts? How does that understanding change as she attends the school?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the way in which geography, location, and space are treated in the memoir. Various topics you might explore include the way Esmeralda and other people experience travel, distances, or their physical surroundings. How fluidly does the family move from one location to another? What sense of space or place does the reader receive from this book?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)