|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Dona Cony in "El Mangle"?
(a) Dona Cony dies.
(b) Dona Cony's house burns down.
(c) Dona Cony's son dies.
(d) Dona Cony's husband leaves her.
2. When Mami returns from New York, what color are her fingernails painted?
(b) Dark red.
(d) Deep pink.
3. What does the family eat when they arrive at Tata's?
(d) Arroz con pollo.
4. Why don't boys pay attention to Esmeralda in "Letters from New York"?
(a) Esmeralda keeps her head down.
(b) Esmeralda's father has threatened all the boys in the vicinity.
(c) Esmeralda has scrawny legs and a flat chest.
(d) Esmeralda has a reputation for being unfriendly.
5. What does Esmeralda love most about Titi Generosa?
(a) Titi Generosa's blunt, vulgar language.
(b) Titi Generosa's warm, generous nature.
(c) Titi Generosa's inviting home.
(d) Titi Generosa's storytelling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dona Andrea give to Mami in "El Mangle"?
2. What is wrong with the food Esmeralda eats on the plane to New York?
3. What does Tata's breath smell like?
4. What does Dona Andrea pour over Esmeralda's cereal?
5. What color is Angie's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Esmeralda laughs at Sra. Leona at the end of "El Mangle".
2. How does Esmeralda describe her first experience of snow?
3. Describe Dona Andrea.
4. Discuss the interactions between Esmeralda's family and the taxi driver in "Angels on the Ceiling".
5. Why does Esmeralda scream at Don Luis during her piano lessons?
6. Why does Esmeralda say that it is impossible to escape the stench when her family lives in El Mangle?
7. Discuss the differences between Angie and Gladys.
8. How does the vision of romance which Esmeralda receives from soap operas compare with the relationship model she receives from her parents?
9. What is Esmeralda's first impression of New York as the plane touches down?
10. How has Mami's appearance changed after her return from New York?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)