|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Esmeralda piano lessons?
(a) Don Luis.
(b) Don Raul.
(c) Don Pablo.
(d) Don Joaquin.
2. Where is the room Esmeralda receives in "Dreams of a Better Life"?
(a) Behind the main room.
(b) In the entry way to the house.
(c) In the corner of the living room.
(d) Off the kitchen.
3. Which other family member lives with Tata?
(a) Titi Generosa.
(b) Don Julio.
(c) Uncle Chico.
4. What does Esmeralda's neighbor suggest as a solution to Mami's need for time alone?
(a) Factory work.
(c) Sunday school.
(d) Boarding school.
5. What is the first word of English Esmeralda hears her mother speak?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which authority figure in Esmeralda's life is so gullible as to believe everything the children tell him/her?
2. What does Tata's breath smell like?
3. What kind of work does Mami bring home in "Letters from New York"?
4. Mami threatens the children that if they repeat the obscenities they hear, which of the following will happen?
5. What do the children use to block out the sound of the bar next door?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Francisco's family react to the news that he has cancer?
2. Discuss the difference in Gladys' and Esmeralda's reactions to the task of peeling potatoes.
3. How has Mami's appearance changed after her return from New York?
4. Discuss the interactions between Esmeralda's family and the taxi driver in "Angels on the Ceiling".
5. Explain the deal Esmeralda strikes with Mr. Gray.
6. Describe Dona Andrea.
7. How does Esmeralda feel as Nicasia leads her through the process of blessing the dead baby?
8. Describe the house the family moves into at the beginning of "Letters from NY".
9. How does Mami react to the news that the doctors might need to amputate Raymond's foot one year after the accident?
10. Discuss the differences between Angie and Gladys.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)