|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Esmeralda go with Mami to act as a translator?
(a) The elementary school office.
(b) The police station.
(c) The welfare office.
(d) A meeting with Mami's boss at the factory.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the characters which captivate Esmeralda and her siblings?
(a) El Ratoncito Mickey Mouse.
(b) Tom and Jerry.
(c) Pato Donald.
(d) El Perrito Goofy.
3. What does Esmeralda's neighbor suggest as a solution to Mami's need for time alone?
(b) Sunday school.
(c) Boarding school.
(d) Factory work.
4. How many rooms does the family have in Tata's house?
5. What does Tata warn Esmeralda to watch out for?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Esmeralda and the children stay cooped up inside now that they live in Brooklyn?
2. What does Papi give to Esmeralda so she can hang things on the walls?
3. Why wouldn't a mugger find money in Mami's purse?
4. Why don't boys pay attention to Esmeralda in "Letters from New York"?
5. What color are Nicasia's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dona Andrea.
2. How has Mami's appearance changed after her return from New York?
3. Why does Mami begin sending the children to Sunday school?
4. How does Esmeralda cope with the embarrassment of being singled out for her sub-standard math skills in front of the class?
5. How does Esmeralda describe the stewardesses at the beginning of "Angels on the Ceiling"?
6. Why does Esmeralda scream at Don Luis during her piano lessons?
7. How does Esmeralda's family react when they learn that Francisco has cancer?
8. How does Esmeralda describe her first experience of snow?
9. Describe the house the family moves into at the beginning of "Letters from NY".
10. Discuss the differences between Angie and Gladys.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)