|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tata drink beer?
(a) The beer tastes good.
(b) The beer keeps her from thinking.
(c) The beer makes her feel less lonely.
(d) The beer makes the pain in her bones less severe.
2. What does Tata's breath smell like?
(a) Cigarettes and beer.
3. Why does Mami keep a small notebook in her purse?
(a) To record the hours she worked so el bosso can't short change her.
(b) To make lists of tasks and items she needs.
(c) To sketch scenes of New York.
(d) To write letters to friends back home during lunch breaks.
4. What does Papi give to Esmeralda so she can hang things on the walls?
(a) A box of nails.
(b) 4 wooden pegs.
(c) A box of pins.
(d) A package of green thumbtacks.
5. From what does Papi fashion a private room for himself?
(a) A sheet.
(b) A closet.
(c) Boards left over from his job.
(d) A toolshed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mami go to visit the ailing Francisco?
2. Where does the family live in "Dreams of a Better Life"?
3. What does Papi do shortly after the family moves to New York without him?
4. Why does Esmeralda's piano teacher slap her hands during her first lesson?
5. How does Tata react to the news that Francisco has fallen ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esmeralda say that it is impossible to escape the stench when her family lives in El Mangle?
2. What is Esmeralda's first impression of New York as the plane touches down?
3. Describe Dona Andrea.
4. Describe the house the family moves into at the beginning of "Letters from NY".
5. Discuss the difference in Gladys' and Esmeralda's reactions to the task of peeling potatoes.
6. How does Esmeralda feel as Nicasia leads her through the process of blessing the dead baby?
7. How does Esmeralda cope with the embarrassment of being singled out for her sub-standard math skills in front of the class?
8. How does Mami react to the news that the doctors might need to amputate Raymond's foot one year after the accident?
9. How has Mami's appearance changed after her return from New York?
10. Describe the church Mami sends the children to in "Casi Senorita".
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)