|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which authority figure in Esmeralda's life is so gullible as to believe everything the children tell him/her?
(a) Don Luis.
(b) Dona Andrea.
(c) Titi Generosa.
2. How many rooms does the family have in Tata's house?
3. What does Francisco tell Mami before he dies?
(a) Francisco says he has seen an angel in a dream.
(b) Francisco tells her he loves her.
(c) Francisco says the hospital was feeding him peanuts.
(d) Francisco tells her she must return to Puerto Rico to bury his body.
4. Which family member dies during "Casi Senorita"?
5. What does Tata's breath smell like?
(a) Cigarettes and beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys do in the streets near Esmeralda's home in "Casi Senorita"?
2. What is the first word of English Esmeralda hears her mother speak?
3. Why don't boys pay attention to Esmeralda in "Letters from New York"?
4. What does Tata warn Esmeralda to watch out for?
5. What chore to Gladys and Esmeralda do every morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esmeralda feel as Nicasia leads her through the process of blessing the dead baby?
2. How does Esmeralda's family react when they learn that Francisco has cancer?
3. Discuss the interactions between Esmeralda's family and the taxi driver in "Angels on the Ceiling".
4. Explain why Esmeralda laughs at Sra. Leona at the end of "El Mangle".
5. How does Esmeralda describe the stewardesses at the beginning of "Angels on the Ceiling"?
6. Why does Esmeralda scream at Don Luis during her piano lessons?
7. How does Esmeralda cope with the embarrassment of being singled out for her sub-standard math skills in front of the class?
8. What is Esmeralda's first impression of New York as the plane touches down?
9. Discuss the differences between Angie and Gladys.
10. Why does Esmeralda say that it is impossible to escape the stench when her family lives in El Mangle?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)