|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game do the children play in the house to make Titi Avena miserable?
(a) Spaniards and Caribs.
2. Why does Tata drink beer?
(a) The beer keeps her from thinking.
(b) The beer makes her feel less lonely.
(c) The beer makes the pain in her bones less severe.
(d) The beer tastes good.
3. Who gives Esmeralda piano lessons?
(a) Don Joaquin.
(b) Don Pablo.
(c) Don Raul.
(d) Don Luis.
4. What color is Angie's room?
5. What do the boys do in the streets near Esmeralda's home in "Casi Senorita"?
(a) Wage gang warfare.
(b) Fight playfully.
(c) Play stickball.
(d) Play soccer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business shares a wall with the family's new home in "Letters from New York"?
2. Which family member dies during "Casi Senorita"?
3. What happens to Dona Cony in "El Mangle"?
4. Where does Esmeralda go with Mami to act as a translator?
5. How many rooms does the family move into in "Letters from New York"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mami begin sending the children to Sunday school?
2. How does Esmeralda feel as Nicasia leads her through the process of blessing the dead baby?
3. How does Esmeralda cope with the embarrassment of being singled out for her sub-standard math skills in front of the class?
4. What is Esmeralda's first impression of New York as the plane touches down?
5. Why does Esmeralda say that it is impossible to escape the stench when her family lives in El Mangle?
6. Explain why Esmeralda laughs at Sra. Leona at the end of "El Mangle".
7. Discuss the interactions between Esmeralda's family and the taxi driver in "Angels on the Ceiling".
8. How does Esmeralda's family react when they learn that Francisco has cancer?
9. How does Francisco's family react to the news that he has cancer?
10. Explain the deal Esmeralda strikes with Mr. Gray.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)