|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Papi give for not having money to bring home to the family?
(a) He says his boss hasn't paid him yet.
(b) He says he has to support his daughter.
(c) He says his contract fell through.
(d) He says he gave an advance to a worker.
2. What do Norma's eyes resemble?
3. Which trolley stop number is Esmeralda's new home located at?
4. Where does Tata live?
(a) In Macun.
(b) In Saturce.
(c) On the Lower East Side.
(d) In the Bushwick neighborhood of Brooklyn.
5. How many avocado trees does the family have left after the disaster in "Mami Gets a Job"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color shirt does Papi want on Sunday morning?
2. To what does Esmeralda compare Miss Jimenez's calves?
3. What time do Esmeralda's classes begin in "Mami Gets a Job"?
4. Esmeralda learns that all men are which of the following?
5. At the end of the meeting in "The American Invasion of Macun", what does each family take home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the "experts" who speak on nutrition and hygiene received by the Puerto Rican women?
2. Describe the house Esmeralda's family moves into at the beginning of Chapter 1: Jibara.
3. How does Esmeralda react to her father's tears in "Fighting Naked"?
4. Why does Papi cry in "Fighting Naked"?
5. Explain why Esmeralda feels she has been punished for choosing to work with her father instead of listening to her mother.
6. What is the purpose of the meeting the women and children attend in "The American Invasion of Macun"?
7. What is a jibara? Why does Esmeralda think she might be one?
8. What is a purgante and why must the children drink them?
9. What does the family do when the heavy rains come in "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap"?
10. How does Esmeralda react when she learns how sausages are made?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)