|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the town people seek shelter at the opening of "Mami Gets a Job"?
(b) The school.
(c) Dona Ana's.
(d) The local church.
2. Which saying opens "The American Invasion of Macun"?
(a) "What doesn't make you stronger, makes you fat."
(b) "What doesn't kill you, makes you weaker."
(c) "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."
(d) "What doesn't kill you, makes you fat."
3. Which trolley stop number is Esmeralda's new home located at?
4. How old is the narrator when her family arrives in Macun?
5. To what does Esmeralda compare Miss Jimenez's calves?
(a) Celery sticks.
(b) Chicken Drumsticks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of music does Papi hum while he works?
2. What is sancocho?
3. What is ron canita?
4. Why must Esmeralda use her right hand to cross herself?
5. Who is Margie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Ramona and Pablo fight at the beginning of "Fighting Naked"?
2. What is a jibara? Why does Esmeralda think she might be one?
3. List the characteristics children use to label Esmeralda a jibara.
4. How does Esmeralda react to her father's tears in "Fighting Naked"?
5. What is a jamona?
6. According to Esmeralda, what is the function of nicknames in Puerto Rican culture?
7. Explain why Esmeralda feels she has been punished for choosing to work with her father instead of listening to her mother.
8. Describe Rita's attire in "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap".
9. Describe the house Esmeralda's family moves into at the beginning of Chapter 1: Jibara.
10. According to Papi, why do Americans speak Spanish so poorly?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)