|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mami's nickname?
2. What skill does Abuela teach Esmeralda?
(d) Rolling pastries.
3. Who points at objects as the children sing "Pollito, chicken; gallina, hen; etc?"
(a) Miss Jimenez.
(d) Miss Smith.
4. When did Puerto Rico become a U.S. colony?
5. Why can't Papi bring Margie to visit?
(a) She has moved to New York.
(b) Margie's mother won't allow her to leave with him.
(c) Mami won't let him bring her to the house.
(d) Margie is afraid of the bus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Norma's eyes resemble?
2. When Esmeralda meets Rita, what does Rita's smile remind her of?
3. Why is Mami afraid of the dirt floor in the new house?
4. Which amenity does Esmeralda's family share with another family?
5. What color are Abuelo's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rita's attire in "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap".
2. List the characteristics children use to label Esmeralda a jibara.
3. What is the purpose of the meeting the women and children attend in "The American Invasion of Macun"?
4. Describe the house Esmeralda's family moves to in "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap".
5. How does Abuela treat Esmeralda's injury?
6. What does Esmeralda's family lose in the storm?
7. How does Esmeralda react to the news that her father has a child with another woman?
8. What is a jibara? Why does Esmeralda think she might be one?
9. Why does Esmeralda have to take the children to Dona Ana's house at the beginning of "Mami Gets a Job"?
10. How does Esmeralda react when she learns how sausages are made?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)