|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are Abuelo's eyes?
2. In "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap", Esmeralda sees "ribbons" hanging from the trees. What are these "ribbons"?
(a) Pig intestines drying for sausage.
(b) Confetti from the last celebration.
(c) Christmas decorations.
(d) Hair ribbons hanging to dry.
3. To what does Esmeralda compare Abuela's palms in "Why Women Remain Jamona"?
(a) An avocado pit.
(b) An old cloth.
4. What does Esmeralda describe as a "mound" with "watery edges"?
(c) Peanut butter.
(d) Huevos Americanos (American eggs).
5. What color is Papi's skin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mami's skin smell like when she picks up Esmeralda?
2. How does Esmeralda injure herself in "Why Women Remain Jamona"?
3. Where do the children sleep?
4. Where do the town people seek shelter at the opening of "Mami Gets a Job"?
5. What type of accent does the nutrition expert have which prevents him from being readily understood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Esmeralda feels about the treatment of jibaros.
2. When Mami comes to get Esmeralda, how does Esmeralda feel about being left at Abuela's by Papi?
3. Which feature does Abuela say Esmeralda shares with her father, and what does this feature supposedly indicate?
4. Describe the house Esmeralda's family moves to in "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap".
5. What is a purgante and why must the children drink them?
6. How does Esmeralda react to the news that her father has a child with another woman?
7. According to Papi, why do Americans speak Spanish so poorly?
8. Describe Rita's attire in "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap".
9. Why do Ramona and Pablo fight at the beginning of "Fighting Naked"?
10. What is the purpose of the meeting the women and children attend in "The American Invasion of Macun"?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)