|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rooms does the family move into in "Letters from New York"?
2. What does Dona Andrea pour over Esmeralda's cereal?
(a) Canned milk.
(b) Fresh cream.
3. Which other family member lives with Tata?
(a) Don Julio.
(b) Titi Generosa.
(d) Uncle Chico.
4. Who finds Esmeralda's family a cab from the airport?
(a) Don Julio.
(d) Don Luis.
5. What does Francisco tell Mami before he dies?
(a) Francisco tells her she must return to Puerto Rico to bury his body.
(b) Francisco says he has seen an angel in a dream.
(c) Francisco tells her he loves her.
(d) Francisco says the hospital was feeding him peanuts.
6. How many rooms does the family have in Tata's house?
7. According to Dona Andrea, what happens if a child hits his/her mother?
(a) God will curse the child.
(b) The child's mother can never come home.
(c) The child cannot be buried when she/he dies.
(d) The child's father will disown the child.
8. What do the children use to block out the sound of the bar next door?
(a) Rags and toilet paper.
(b) Ear plugs.
(d) Papi's radio.
9. What do the boys do in the streets near Esmeralda's home in "Casi Senorita"?
(a) Wage gang warfare.
(b) Play soccer.
(c) Fight playfully.
(d) Play stickball.
10. When she first arrived in El Mangle, why wouldn't Esmeralda drink water?
(a) Esmeralda developed a taste for cafe con leche.
(b) Esmeralda learned about parasites in school.
(c) Esmeralda feared it came from the lagoon.
(d) Esmeralda was on a thirst strike.
11. Why does Mami keep a small notebook in her purse?
(a) To make lists of tasks and items she needs.
(b) To record the hours she worked so el bosso can't short change her.
(c) To sketch scenes of New York.
(d) To write letters to friends back home during lunch breaks.
12. What happens to Dona Cony in "El Mangle"?
(a) Dona Cony's husband leaves her.
(b) Dona Cony's house burns down.
(c) Dona Cony's son dies.
(d) Dona Cony dies.
13. What is in the bags Mami carries off the plane?
(a) Books for family members.
(b) Letters from home.
(c) Clothes for the children.
(d) Produce and spices from el pais.
14. What color is Angie's room?
15. Where does the family live in "Dreams of a Better Life"?
(c) San Juan.
(d) Sabana Seca.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Nicasia's eyes?
2. How old is Raymond in "Letters from New York"?
3. What game do the children play in the house to make Titi Avena miserable?
4. Why wouldn't a mugger find money in Mami's purse?
5. Why don't boys pay attention to Esmeralda in "Letters from New York"?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)