|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tata's breath smell like?
(b) Cigarettes and beer.
2. What meal do all the children agree on?
(a) Arroz con pollo.
(c) Pork chops.
(d) Fried potatoes.
3. What does Dona Andrea pour over Esmeralda's cereal?
(a) Fresh cream.
(b) Canned milk.
4. What chore to Gladys and Esmeralda do every morning?
(a) The girls sweep the house.
(b) The girls peel potatoes.
(c) The girls dice onion.
(d) The girls wash and iron the clothes.
5. According to Dona Andrea, what happens if a child hits his/her mother?
(a) The child's father will disown the child.
(b) The child's mother can never come home.
(c) God will curse the child.
(d) The child cannot be buried when she/he dies.
6. What kind of work does Mami bring home in "Letters from New York"?
7. Where does Mami go to visit the ailing Francisco?
(a) Francisco's family home.
(b) King's County Hospital.
(c) Brooklyn General.
(d) Puerto Rico.
8. What job does Mami start out working in New York?
(a) Restroom attendant.
(b) Dish washer.
(c) Seam sewer.
(d) Thread cutter.
9. What does Papi do shortly after the family moves to New York without him?
(a) Finds permanent work.
(b) Disownes Esmeralda.
(c) Gets married.
10. Why do the children misbehave when Mami goes away?
(a) The children object to being watched by Dona Susana.
(b) Esmeralda must work and cannot supervise the children.
(c) Esmeralda cannot muster the same authority as Mami.
(d) The children are rebelling against her absence.
11. Where is the room Esmeralda receives in "Dreams of a Better Life"?
(a) In the entry way to the house.
(b) In the corner of the living room.
(c) Off the kitchen.
(d) Behind the main room.
12. What does Tata warn Esmeralda to watch out for?
13. How old is Esmeralda when the family moves to New York?
14. What does Dona Andrea give to Mami in "El Mangle"?
(a) A house of her own.
(b) A sack of coffee.
(c) A pot of chickpeas and pig's feet.
(d) Kitchen towels.
15. Why don't boys pay attention to Esmeralda in "Letters from New York"?
(a) Esmeralda has a reputation for being unfriendly.
(b) Esmeralda has scrawny legs and a flat chest.
(c) Esmeralda keeps her head down.
(d) Esmeralda's father has threatened all the boys in the vicinity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does the family have in Tata's house?
2. Which memory causes Esmeralda to cry in "El Mangle"?
3. What do the boys do in the streets near Esmeralda's home in "Casi Senorita"?
4. What illness does Francisco die from?
5. According to Mami, why do morenos dislike Puerto Ricans?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)