|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papi do shortly after the family moves to New York without him?
(a) Gets married.
(b) Finds permanent work.
(c) Disownes Esmeralda.
2. What job does Mami start out working in New York?
(a) Restroom attendant.
(b) Seam sewer.
(c) Thread cutter.
(d) Dish washer.
3. Why do the children misbehave when Mami goes away?
(a) Esmeralda must work and cannot supervise the children.
(b) Esmeralda cannot muster the same authority as Mami.
(c) The children object to being watched by Dona Susana.
(d) The children are rebelling against her absence.
4. Which family member dies during "Casi Senorita"?
5. How old is Esmeralda when the family moves to New York?
6. How does Tata react to the news that Francisco has fallen ill?
(a) Tata lights a candle at Mass.
(b) Tata prepares him special broths and creamy rice.
(c) Tata insists that he marry Mami so that their child will at least have a name.
(d) Tata curses him for abandoning Mami.
7. Why is Mami uncomfortable with Papi's idea that Esmeralda take piano lessons?
(a) Esmeralda is casi senorita.
(b) Esmeralda is focusing on music and not school.
(c) Esmeralda does not like music.
(d) Esmeralda is rude to adults and is likely to embarrass them.
8. How many rooms does the family have in Tata's house?
9. According to Esmeralda, why couldn't Papi live in a place like El Mangle?
(a) Papi is not allowed to travel.
(b) Papi cannot find work in places like El Mange.
(c) Papi's nose is sensitive to bad smells.
(d) Papi has too much pride.
10. What does Francisco tell Mami before he dies?
(a) Francisco says the hospital was feeding him peanuts.
(b) Francisco tells her she must return to Puerto Rico to bury his body.
(c) Francisco tells her he loves her.
(d) Francisco says he has seen an angel in a dream.
11. What color are Nicasia's eyes?
(a) Brown with yellow flecks.
(d) One is green and one is brown.
12. Who gives Esmeralda piano lessons?
(a) Don Joaquin.
(b) Don Raul.
(c) Don Luis.
(d) Don Pablo.
13. What kind of business do Mami and Papi start together?
(a) An al fresco cafe.
(b) A construction company.
(c) A laundromat.
(d) A cafetin ambulante.
14. Why wouldn't a mugger find money in Mami's purse?
(a) Mami always gave cash to the children to carry.
(b) Mami never had enough money to carry cash.
(c) Mami carried money in a wallet in her skirt pocket.
(d) Mami carried cash in her bra.
15. Where does Mami go to visit the ailing Francisco?
(a) Brooklyn General.
(b) Puerto Rico.
(c) King's County Hospital.
(d) Francisco's family home.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Esmeralda compare her developing breasts?
2. Why does Tata drink beer?
3. What title does Esmeralda's teacher in El Mangle refuse to respond to?
4. What didn't Esmeralda mean to steal from the baby's piggy bank?
5. Which memory causes Esmeralda to cry in "El Mangle"?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)