|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Esmeralda compare her developing breasts?
(a) Egg yolks.
(b) Tennis balls.
2. What does Francisco tell Mami before he dies?
(a) Francisco says he has seen an angel in a dream.
(b) Francisco tells her he loves her.
(c) Francisco tells her she must return to Puerto Rico to bury his body.
(d) Francisco says the hospital was feeding him peanuts.
3. How does Sra. Leona attempt to embarrass Esmeralda in class?
(a) Sra. Leona accuses her of flirting with boys.
(b) Sra. Leona calls attention to her country ways.
(c) Sra. Leona asks her questions she thinks Esmeralda won't be able to answer.
(d) Sra. Leona teases her about her speech.
4. What is the first word of English Esmeralda hears her mother speak?
5. What is in the bags Mami carries off the plane?
(a) Letters from home.
(b) Produce and spices from el pais.
(c) Clothes for the children.
(d) Books for family members.
6. What is wrong with the food Esmeralda eats on the plane to New York?
(a) There isn't enough food.
(b) The food tastes like salt.
(c) The food is overcooked.
(d) The food is unfamiliar.
7. What color is Angie's room?
8. What kind of work does Mami bring home in "Letters from New York"?
9. What does Tata's breath smell like?
(a) Cigarettes and beer.
10. Where does Mami go to visit the ailing Francisco?
(a) Brooklyn General.
(b) Puerto Rico.
(c) King's County Hospital.
(d) Francisco's family home.
11. What kind of math problem is Esmeralda called to the board to solve?
(a) Addition of fractions.
(c) Addition of percents.
(d) Subtraction of decimals.
12. How old is Esmeralda when the family moves to New York?
13. On which street does Esmeralda's family live in "Casi Senorita"?
(a) Avenida San Juan.
(b) Calle Viejo.
(c) Calle Uno.
(d) Calle Castro Vina.
14. Why is Mami uncomfortable with Papi's idea that Esmeralda take piano lessons?
(a) Esmeralda is casi senorita.
(b) Esmeralda is focusing on music and not school.
(c) Esmeralda does not like music.
(d) Esmeralda is rude to adults and is likely to embarrass them.
15. How does Tata react to the news that Francisco has fallen ill?
(a) Tata prepares him special broths and creamy rice.
(b) Tata insists that he marry Mami so that their child will at least have a name.
(c) Tata curses him for abandoning Mami.
(d) Tata lights a candle at Mass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chore to Gladys and Esmeralda do every morning?
2. From what does Papi fashion a private room for himself?
3. What kind of business do Mami and Papi start together?
4. What does Tata warn Esmeralda to watch out for?
5. What does Dona Andrea give to Mami in "El Mangle"?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)