|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mami dislike about Esmeralda's piano teacher?
(a) He drinks too much.
(b) He has shifty eyes.
(c) He is arrogant.
(d) He smells bad.
2. What does Papi give to Esmeralda so she can hang things on the walls?
(a) A package of green thumbtacks.
(b) 4 wooden pegs.
(c) A box of nails.
(d) A box of pins.
3. What does Esmeralda's neighbor suggest as a solution to Mami's need for time alone?
(a) Factory work.
(b) Sunday school.
(d) Boarding school.
4. What does Esmeralda love most about Titi Generosa?
(a) Titi Generosa's blunt, vulgar language.
(b) Titi Generosa's storytelling.
(c) Titi Generosa's warm, generous nature.
(d) Titi Generosa's inviting home.
5. According to Esmeralda, why couldn't Papi live in a place like El Mangle?
(a) Papi is not allowed to travel.
(b) Papi has too much pride.
(c) Papi cannot find work in places like El Mange.
(d) Papi's nose is sensitive to bad smells.
6. On which street does Esmeralda's family live in "Casi Senorita"?
(a) Avenida San Juan.
(b) Calle Castro Vina.
(c) Calle Uno.
(d) Calle Viejo.
7. What does Tata warn Esmeralda to watch out for?
8. What meal do all the children agree on?
(a) Fried potatoes.
(b) Pork chops.
(d) Arroz con pollo.
9. How many of their vocabulary words must the children use in to write their essays in "El Mangle"?
(a) At least 5 vocabulary words.
(b) 3-4 vocabulary words.
(c) No more than 5 vocabulary words.
(d) All of the vocabulary words.
10. What does Miss Brown, the homeroom teacher, wear?
(b) Shoulder pads.
(c) Pencil skirts.
(d) Sweat pads.
11. Which authority figure in Esmeralda's life is so gullible as to believe everything the children tell him/her?
(a) Titi Generosa.
(b) Don Luis.
(d) Dona Andrea.
12. Who finds Esmeralda's family a cab from the airport?
(a) Don Julio.
(b) Don Luis.
13. According to Dona Andrea, what happens if a child hits his/her mother?
(a) The child cannot be buried when she/he dies.
(b) The child's father will disown the child.
(c) The child's mother can never come home.
(d) God will curse the child.
14. What happens to Dona Cony in "El Mangle"?
(a) Dona Cony's husband leaves her.
(b) Dona Cony's son dies.
(c) Dona Cony dies.
(d) Dona Cony's house burns down.
15. Where does the family live in "Dreams of a Better Life"?
(c) Sabana Seca.
(d) San Juan.
Short Answer Questions
1. When she first arrived in El Mangle, why wouldn't Esmeralda drink water?
2. According to Mami, why do morenos dislike Puerto Ricans?
3. Mami threatens the children that if they repeat the obscenities they hear, which of the following will happen?
4. Why do Esmeralda and the children stay cooped up inside now that they live in Brooklyn?
5. What does Dona Andrea pour over Esmeralda's cereal?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)