|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many avocado trees does the family have left after the disaster in "Mami Gets a Job"?
2. How are the houses in Saturce different than the houses in Macun?
(a) The houses in Saturce are run down.
(b) The houses in Saturce are equipped with running water and electric light bulbs.
(c) The houses in Saturce are bigger.
(d) The homes in Saturce are maintained and the lawns are manicured.
3. When Esmeralda meets Rita, what does Rita's smile remind her of?
(a) Colgate toothpaste commercials.
(b) The Chiquita banana woman.
(c) A famous actress.
(d) Lipstick ads.
4. Which amenity does Esmeralda's family share with another family?
(a) An outhouse.
(b) A kitchen.
(c) A bathroom.
(d) A patio.
5. What does Esmeralda describe as a "mound" with "watery edges"?
(a) Peanut butter.
(b) Huevos Americanos (American eggs).
6. What does Mami's skin smell like when she picks up Esmeralda?
(a) Cedar and smoke.
(b) Oregano and wood smoke.
(c) Soap and rice.
(d) Olives and roses.
7. Where does Tata live?
(a) In Saturce.
(b) On the Lower East Side.
(c) In Macun.
(d) In the Bushwick neighborhood of Brooklyn.
8. What color is Mami's skin?
(a) Deep brown.
9. What large object does Papi ask Esmeralda to bring him?
(a) A trowel.
(b) A cinder block.
(c) A wheelbarrow.
(d) A shovel.
10. What is Mami's nickname?
11. To what does Esmeralda compare Miss Jimenez's calves?
(a) Chicken Drumsticks.
(b) Celery sticks.
12. What excuse does Papi give for not having money to bring home to the family?
(a) He says he gave an advance to a worker.
(b) He says his contract fell through.
(c) He says his boss hasn't paid him yet.
(d) He says he has to support his daughter.
13. What is Esmeralda called when she is surprised by the pencil sharpener?
(a) A tonta.
(b) An idiot.
(c) A heathen.
(d) A jibara.
14. Why does Esmeralda's mother call her Negi?
(a) She has dark skin.
(b) It was her first word.
(c) She has dark hair.
(d) It is a shortened version of her middle name.
15. How many mango trees does the family lose in "Mami Gets a Job"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Esmeralda learns that which of the following is something reciprocally exchanged between adults?
2. What was the chief sin Esmeralda comes to expect from men?
3. What is the closest city to Macun?
4. Who is the governor of Puerto Rico during "The Invasion of Macun"?
5. What food item does the American expert confirm as a substitute for apples in a balanced diet?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)