|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esmeralda call New York when she first hears that Tata has moved there?
(c) Nueva York.
(d) Los Nueva Yores.
2. What is a bohio?
(a) A traditional card game.
(b) A traditional jibara song.
(c) A small city dwelling.
(d) A peasant's country house.
3. What does Esmeralda describe as a "mound" with "watery edges"?
(a) Peanut butter.
(d) Huevos Americanos (American eggs).
4. How does Esmeralda injure herself in "Why Women Remain Jamona"?
(a) On the stove.
(b) In the bus door.
(c) On the broken bed frame.
(d) In the doorjamb.
5. Which saying opens "The American Invasion of Macun"?
(a) "What doesn't kill you, makes you weaker."
(b) "What doesn't make you stronger, makes you fat."
(c) "What doesn't kill you, makes you fat."
(d) "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."
6. What makes Esmeralda throw up in the cafeteria?
(a) Corn beef hash.
(b) Huevos Americanos.
(c) Apple sauce.
(d) Milk with peanut butter.
7. How are the houses in Saturce different than the houses in Macun?
(a) The houses in Saturce are run down.
(b) The houses in Saturce are bigger.
(c) The homes in Saturce are maintained and the lawns are manicured.
(d) The houses in Saturce are equipped with running water and electric light bulbs.
8. Where does Abuelo sleep?
(a) On a narrow metal cot with a thin mattress.
(b) In a house down the road.
(c) In Abuela's opulent room.
(d) In a hammock on the lanai.
9. Which amenity does Esmeralda's family share with another family?
(a) A patio.
(b) A kitchen.
(c) A bathroom.
(d) An outhouse.
10. In "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap", Esmeralda sees "ribbons" hanging from the trees. What are these "ribbons"?
(a) Pig intestines drying for sausage.
(b) Hair ribbons hanging to dry.
(c) Confetti from the last celebration.
(d) Christmas decorations.
11. What do Norma's eyes resemble?
12. When Mami was fed up with Papi, where does she go?
(a) La Parada.
(c) Nuevo York.
13. What place do the children sneak into to steal grapefruit?
(a) The grocery store.
(b) Lalao's grove.
(c) The local market.
(d) The citrus company's property.
14. When Mami arrives to pick up Esmeralda in "Why Women Remain Jamona", what amenity does Mami brag about having?
(b) Hot water.
(c) Indoor plumbing.
(d) Running water.
15. When Esmeralda is living in Saturce, what nighttime sound does she miss most?
(a) Cars backfiring.
(b) People fighting.
(c) Coqui tree frogs singing.
(d) Music blaring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a jamona?
2. Which trolley stop number is Esmeralda's new home located at?
3. What does Abuela offer Esmeralda in case she gets hungry before bed?
4. Why won't Abuela make breakfast before Mass?
5. What image on the experts' chart gives Mami the chills?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)