|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is mavi, the beverage that Papi makes in "Mami Gets a Job"?
(c) Bark beer.
2. What did Esmeralda volunteer to do at school?
(a) Arrange the classroom.
(b) Scold misbehaving children.
(c) Watch younger children after school.
(d) Prepare food for the children.
3. Which amenity does Esmeralda's family share with another family?
(a) An outhouse.
(b) A bathroom.
(c) A patio.
(d) A kitchen.
4. Who is the governor of Puerto Rico during "The Invasion of Macun"?
(a) Don Ignacio Santiago.
(b) Ike Eisenhower.
(c) Don Luis Munoz Marin.
(d) Raul Sanchez.
5. What color are Abuelo's eyes?
6. With what does Esmeralda fill her skirt at Lalao's finca?
7. What type of bugs swarm Esmeralda when she picked up the old floor boards?
8. In "Someone is Coming to Steal Your Lap", how does Mami react to the rain?
(a) She tells the children it is a sign of bad things to come.
(b) She tells the children to grab pails and collect the water.
(c) She tells the children to take off their clothes and play in the rain.
(d) She tells the children to stay inside out of the weather.
9. How are the houses in Saturce different than the houses in Macun?
(a) The houses in Saturce are bigger.
(b) The houses in Saturce are run down.
(c) The homes in Saturce are maintained and the lawns are manicured.
(d) The houses in Saturce are equipped with running water and electric light bulbs.
10. What color is Papi's skin?
11. In "The American Invasion of Macun", what does the expert pull out of a suitcase?
(a) A diagram of the digestive system.
(b) A model of the human heart.
(c) A bag of toothbrushes.
(d) A huge set of teeth.
12. In "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap", Esmeralda sees "ribbons" hanging from the trees. What are these "ribbons"?
(a) Pig intestines drying for sausage.
(b) Christmas decorations.
(c) Hair ribbons hanging to dry.
(d) Confetti from the last celebration.
13. What is ron canita?
(a) A Saturce dance.
(b) A Christmas dish.
(c) A song dedicated to women and liquor.
(d) A homemade rum.
14. What does Esmeralda call New York when she first hears that Tata has moved there?
(b) Nueva York.
(c) Los Nueva Yores.
15. Why can't Papi bring Margie to visit?
(a) She has moved to New York.
(b) Mami won't let him bring her to the house.
(c) Margie's mother won't allow her to leave with him.
(d) Margie is afraid of the bus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the families hang from the rafters in "Mami Gets a Job"?
2. Esmeralda learns that all men are which of the following?
3. Where do the town people seek shelter at the opening of "Mami Gets a Job"?
4. Why doesn't Esmeralda change clothes after church in "Why Women Remain Jamona"?
5. Which Puerto Rican food does the American food expert fail to recognize?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)