|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Abuela make breakfast before Mass?
(a) Abuela fasts before church.
(b) Abuela does not want to be late.
(c) Abuela does not have anything to make for breakfast.
(d) Abuela is punishing Esmeralda.
2. How old is the narrator when her family arrives in Macun?
3. What color is Mami's skin?
(d) Deep brown.
4. Who is Margie?
(a) Esmeralda's half-sister.
(b) Ramona's sister.
(c) Pablo's mistress.
(d) Pablo's sister.
5. When did Puerto Rico become a U.S. colony?
6. What color shirt does Papi want on Sunday morning?
(a) It used to be white, but now it's brownish.
7. Where do the children sleep?
(a) Outside under the stars.
(b) On the floor.
(c) In a single bed.
(d) In hammocks.
8. Where does Tata live?
(a) On the Lower East Side.
(b) In the Bushwick neighborhood of Brooklyn.
(c) In Macun.
(d) In Saturce.
9. What color is Papi's skin?
10. Which amenity does Esmeralda's family share with another family?
(a) A kitchen.
(b) A bathroom.
(c) A patio.
(d) An outhouse.
11. Why is Mami afraid of the dirt floor in the new house?
(a) She's afraid of the parasites living in the soil.
(b) She's afraid of looking like a jibara.
(c) She doesn't like the feeling of dirt.
(d) She's afraid of the scorpions and spiders.
12. Which Puerto Rican food does the American food expert fail to recognize?
13. What is a jamona?
(a) A witch.
(b) An outcast.
(c) A ham.
(d) An unmarried woman.
14. How does Esmeralda burn her fingers?
(a) She runs the water too hot.
(b) She touches the stove.
(c) She touches a lit candle.
(d) She touches the sunny side of the house.
15. What food item does the American expert confirm as a substitute for apples in a balanced diet?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Esmeralda compare Miss Jimenez's calves?
2. Which saying opens "The American Invasion of Macun"?
3. When Mami arrives to pick up Esmeralda in "Why Women Remain Jamona", what amenity does Mami brag about having?
4. How does Esmeralda define politics in "The American Invasion of Macun"?
5. What type of bugs swarm Esmeralda when she picked up the old floor boards?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)