|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through El Mangle and Letters From New York.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mami arrives to pick up Esmeralda in "Why Women Remain Jamona", what amenity does Mami brag about having?
(a) Indoor plumbing.
(b) Running water.
(d) Hot water.
2. How old is the narrator when her family arrives in Macun?
3. What does Dona Andrea give to Mami in "El Mangle"?
(a) A house of her own.
(b) A pot of chickpeas and pig's feet.
(c) A sack of coffee.
(d) Kitchen towels.
4. Why does Esmeralda wear her special white dress in "El Mangle"?
(a) Esmeralda goes to a school function.
(b) Esmeralda participates in funeral rites.
(c) Esmeralda must impress Mami's employer.
(d) Esmeralda is baptized.
5. What happens to Dona Cony in "El Mangle"?
(a) Dona Cony's husband leaves her.
(b) Dona Cony dies.
(c) Dona Cony's house burns down.
(d) Dona Cony's son dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Someone is Coming to Take Your Lap", Esmeralda sees "ribbons" hanging from the trees. What are these "ribbons"?
2. Which amenity does Esmeralda's family share with another family?
3. What is the closest city to Macun?
4. How many of their vocabulary words must the children use in to write their essays in "El Mangle"?
5. What was the chief sin Esmeralda comes to expect from men?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)