|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Sister Hoa believe it would cost to get the papers for Le Ly to marry Ed and go to America with him and her son?
2. How often did Le Ly's official escort for her tour of the countryside say that the power went out at his office every day?
3. Where did Steve get Le Ly a job with regular pay?
4. What department did an American help Le Ly get transferred to when a Vietnamese sergeant was making advances to her?
5. How old was Le Ly's mother when they reunited in 1986?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Le Ly describe Ba when they were reunited?
2. How would the dead be consulted about business matters or requests?
3. Why was Le Ly told to come back for an interview at noon when she went to the American employment office in Danang?
4. How did Le Ly describe her traveling companions and herself when she was touring the countryside?
5. How did Le Ly get her mother to sign the papers giving her permission to leave the country?
6. How were young girls from the country sold into prostitution?
7. What happened to Jim after Le Ly complained about his behavior?
8. What did Mr. Xa say was the goal in fighting the war?
9. How did Le Ly describe her experience when she went to claim her father's body at the morgue?
10. Why did so many young women like Le Ly end up in the cities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Le Ly was arrested three times. Compare the three times that Le Ly was arrested.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship Le Ly had with her brothers Bon Nghe and Sau Ban.
Essay Topic 3
Le Ly's mother taught her how to be a virtuous wife and dutiful daughter-in-law. Discuss the qualities and actions of a virtuous wife and dutiful daughter-in-law.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)