|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many kids did the woman have who introduced Le Ly to Ed?
2. Where was Ed's home?
3. What did Le Ly have to give the Vietnamese marriage counselor as a "gift" for the coffee fund?
4. What rank was the American GI named Paul?
5. What did Le Ly's mother ask her to bring to line her coffin on Le Ly's next visit to Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it like for Bon Nghe during the war?
2. Why did Red say that he and Le Ly never socialized with his friends?
3. How did Le Ly describe her experience when she went to claim her father's body at the morgue?
4. How did the busy lives of Le Ly and her mother affect Hung?
5. For a young Vietnamese woman, what were the options for getting out of the country?
6. What type of a meal did Le Ly ask the proprietor of a country store to make for herself and her companions when she was touring the countryside?
7. What happened to Bac Luc?
8. How did Le Ly describe Ba when they were reunited?
9. Why did Le Ly's mother believe that Sau Ban's spirit was at rest?
10. How would the dead be consulted about business matters or requests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Le Ly and, then later, her mother had to leave Ky La. Discuss why Le Ly and her mother had to leave Ky La.
Essay Topic 2
Le Ly was arrested three times. Compare the three times that Le Ly was arrested.
Essay Topic 3
Rice was the most important crop grown around Ky La. Discuss the process of growing and harvesting rice.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)