|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Jim been in Vietnam before he was assigned to Quang Nam?
2. How old was Ed when Le Ly met him?
3. What birthdate was on the birth certificate that Le Ly purchased so she could get a job with the Americans?
4. In which branch of service did Ed's son serve?
5. Who kept most of the gifts that Le Ly sent from America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the chocolate wrapper that came from the candy Le Ly gave Tinh's ten-year-old have to be burned?
2. When Mr. Long asked Le Ly what her Vietnamese friends in the States felt about socialist Vietnam, what did she tell him?
3. How did Le Ly describe her experience when she went to claim her father's body at the morgue?
4. How did Le Ly describe her traveling companions and herself when she was touring the countryside?
5. What did Mr. Xa say was the goal in fighting the war?
6. Why did Le Ly feel uneasy about Red's offer to drive her home?
7. To whom did Le Ly compare her brother Bon Nghe?
8. What did Le Ly say needed to happen for some people in the United States?
9. Why did Le Ly's mother believe that Sau Ban's spirit was at rest?
10. Why did Ba keep the gift that Le Ly and Lan sent from America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Le Ly had an unplanned reunion with her mother at Tinh's home. Discuss Le Ly's reunion with her mother and its effect on Le Ly's emotions.
Essay Topic 2
Le Ly was arrested three times. Compare the three times that Le Ly was arrested.
Essay Topic 3
The war affected everyone, especially the children. Discuss how children were affected by the war.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)