|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the warning signal that Le Ly's father was to use when the attack was to begin?
2. How many bedrooms did the home have that Le Ly lived in in California?
3. How many children did Manh, Le Ly's schoolteacher, have?
4. How old was Le Ly's mother when her father died?
5. How much did Le Ly weigh when she was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Le Ly's mother do when no news had been heard about Sau Ban by New Year's in1963?
2. Why was Le Ly's mother under house arrest after Le Ly went to Danang?
3. During an air attack when Le Ly's home was burned, how and what did her father save?
4. What rules did the Vietnamese National Committee have for the visiting Vietnamese expatriates?
5. How did Le Ly describe Jimmy, her son, when Anh asked about him?
6. In what ways did Le Ly begin to serve Madame Lien as companion?
7. What legend did Le Ly's father tell her to explain why humans had to work so hard?
8. What was special about Le Ly's mother's hair?
9. What did the men, whom Le Ly called the snakes' keepers, look like?
10. What was Lien's life like when Le Ly returned to Vietnam in 1986?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sau Ban's military obligations, how he dealt with them, and why he had to deal with them in the manner that he did.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the arrangements that had to be made for Le Ly's father's funeral and the problems that had to be overcome to have the funeral.
Essay Topic 3
Forgiveness is a major theme of the book. Discuss forgiveness and how various individuals viewed forgiveness.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)