|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Le Ly's father try to commit suicide after visiting Lan in Danang?
2. Who paid for Le Ly's hospital bills when she had her baby?
3. Who was a legendary king that Le Ly and other children were told stories about how he won his crown?
4. When did the Viet Minh war end?
5. Who were the two Viet Cong soldiers that were killed when Le Ly's mother was being held in her home by Republican soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the man that Le Ly met at the Vietnamese Embassy?
2. How was Le Ly able to save money to get a house for her, her mother, and son?
3. What were the initial tests that Sau Ban's potential bride would have to pass?
4. Why were the charges against Le Ly dropped when she was caught with marijuana?
5. Why did the plane trip to Saigon give Le Ly a sense of peace?
6. How did Le Ly describe Jimmy, her son, when Anh asked about him?
7. Why was Le Ly's mother under house arrest after Le Ly went to Danang?
8. When was the first time that Le Ly saw a Viet Cong fighter up close?
9. How did Le Ly describe her father?
10. Why was Le Ly taken to a hospital in Saigon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the arrangements that had to be made for Le Ly's father's funeral and the problems that had to be overcome to have the funeral.
Essay Topic 2
In 1986, Le Ly had mixed emotions as she landed in Danang. Discuss the emotions that Le Ly felt as she approached the reunion with her family.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sau Ban's military obligations, how he dealt with them, and why he had to deal with them in the manner that he did.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)