|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raised Le Ly's mother?
2. Who was a legendary king that Le Ly and other children were told stories about how he won his crown?
3. Before Le Ly was born, how many children did Le Ly's mother and father have?
4. What type of vehicle did Anh have in 1986?
5. How old was Le Ly's mother when her father died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lien's life like when Le Ly returned to Vietnam in 1986?
2. How did the Viet Cong smuggle weapons and troops into the Ky La area when they planned a major attack?
3. Why was Le Ly taken to a hospital in Saigon?
4. Why was Le Ly's mother under house arrest after Le Ly went to Danang?
5. How was Le Ly released in My Thi?
6. What did Le Ly do to try to cause a miscarriage when she found she was pregnant?
7. What did the men, whom Le Ly called the snakes' keepers, look like?
8. After the three-day war for Bai Gian and the bombardment that followed, what did the area around Ky La look like?
9. In what ways did Le Ly begin to serve Madame Lien as companion?
10. What were the initial tests that Sau Ban's potential bride would have to pass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1986, Le Ly had mixed emotions as she landed in Danang. Discuss the emotions that Le Ly felt as she approached the reunion with her family.
Essay Topic 2
Forgiveness is a major theme of the book. Discuss forgiveness and how various individuals viewed forgiveness.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sau Ban's military obligations, how he dealt with them, and why he had to deal with them in the manner that he did.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)