|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Le Ly's Uncle Nhu live?
2. In 1986 how long was a Vietnamese refugee woman from the South jailed by the Communists when she came back for a visit?
3. Where did Hai and her daughter move in 1963?
4. What holiday did the Viet Cong use to disguise their eminent attack on Ky La?
5. When had Lan gone to Saigon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Le Ly taken to a hospital in Saigon?
2. What type of traps did the children of Ky La have to help the Viet Cong make for the Republicans?
3. What did Le Ly do to try to cause a miscarriage when she found she was pregnant?
4. How did Le Ly describe her father?
5. What rules did the Vietnamese National Committee have for the visiting Vietnamese expatriates?
6. What were the initial tests that Sau Ban's potential bride would have to pass?
7. How did Le Ly describe Jimmy, her son, when Anh asked about him?
8. In 1986, why was Le Ly filled with grief when she saw fighter bombers and bombs rusting away as she landed?
9. Why were the charges against Le Ly dropped when she was caught with marijuana?
10. What was Ky La like between the French and American wars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rice was the most important crop grown around Ky La. Discuss the process of growing and harvesting rice.
Essay Topic 2
Le Ly was arrested three times. Compare the three times that Le Ly was arrested.
Essay Topic 3
Le Ly had an unplanned reunion with her mother at Tinh's home. Discuss Le Ly's reunion with her mother and its effect on Le Ly's emotions.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)