Chapters One and Two
• When Le Ly was born, she weighed only two pounds.
• The midwife told her mother to suffocate the baby, but her mother refused.
• Le Ly's mother was forty-one and still healthy and attractive.
• Since she didn't have enough breast milk, she fed Le Ly buffalo milk.
• Le Ly's nickname was Bay Ly, which meant sixth born; and, she did not blame her family for not supporting her mother and attempting to keep her alive.
• The family seemed to be afraid to become attached to the new baby in case she died.
• Le Ly had three sisters and two brothers.
• Her mother took care of her own brothers and sisters with the help of an older sister named Thu because they were orphaned at an early age.
• Later Thu was killed by soldiers.
• Ky La, the village where Le Ly's family lived, was between northern...
This section contains 5,177 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)