|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the 7th voyage of the treasure fleet start from?
2. What word is used to describe the relation between Chinese and Swahili?
3. What was forbidden to be traded during the travels of the treasure fleet?
4. What were Japan's envoys in charge of doing, according to "Chapter 7, Emissaries of the Dragon Throne"?
5. What were both Baijini and Banjuni reportedly secretive about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zhu Di become unreasonable, in "Chapter 9, Fires in the Forbidden City"?
2. What did aboriginal songs record, according to the "Epilogue, A People Called Baijini"?
3. Who presented Zhu Di with a giraffe, and what did the envoy mistake the animal for?
4. What last attempt was made by Wang Zhi in 1477?
5. What did the first Ming Emperor, Zhu Yuanzhang make sure happened when the treasure fleet traveled?
6. What did an anthropologist in 1935 note about physical features of the Banjuni?
7. What did one of Zheng He's charts note?
8. Why was Hu, master of the water clock, imprisoned in 1421?
9. What was the largest expedition of the fleet ordered in 1412, according to "Chapter 8, The Auspicious Appearance of the Celestial Animals"?
10. What knowledge does early Chinese history point to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Song Dynasty and examine its impact on Chinese trade and commerce.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss polygamous households and their role in ancient China.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of concubines and the significance of Madame Wang in When China Ruled The Seas.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)