|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the foreign envoys who visited the court of China ordered back to their countries?
2. What did the "Banjuni" islanders call themselves?
3. What was forbidden to be traded during the travels of the treasure fleet?
4. What led to the slaying of a large number of eunuchs and concubines?
5. What were the women of the Baijini wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What last attempt was made by Wang Zhi in 1477?
2. Who was named the new emperor, and how was he viewed, in "Chapter 10, The Last Voyage"?
3. Why was Hu, master of the water clock, imprisoned in 1421?
4. Why did Zhu Di become unreasonable, in "Chapter 9, Fires in the Forbidden City"?
5. Who did China see as threats, in Chapter 11, The Sultan's Bride?
6. What happened to inhabitants of towns in China?
7. What was the largest expedition of the fleet ordered in 1412, according to "Chapter 8, The Auspicious Appearance of the Celestial Animals"?
8. Who was Hang Libo, and why was she brought to Malacca, in "Chapter 11, The Sultan's Bride"?
9. Who presented Zhu Di with a giraffe, and what did the envoy mistake the animal for?
10. What did an anthropologist in 1935 note about physical features of the Banjuni?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how trade agreements were negotiated in China.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the archaeological evidence discussed in the "Epilogue" and what such evidence indicates about Chinese populations.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the leadership of Zhu Yuanzhang and Zhu Di, discussing the similarities and differences in their leadership styles and beliefs about China's needs.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)