|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Zhu Di in the process of doing at the time the fourth treasure fleet set sail?
2. What was punishable by death by 1500?
3. What were both Baijini and Banjuni reportedly secretive about?
4. Who took effective control of China after Zhu Qizhen's rise to the throne?
5. Why did the northern and eastern Mongols accept to make peace with Zhu Di?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the largest expedition of the fleet ordered in 1412, according to "Chapter 8, The Auspicious Appearance of the Celestial Animals"?
2. Who did China see as threats, in Chapter 11, The Sultan's Bride?
3. What knowledge does early Chinese history point to?
4. What happened to inhabitants of towns in China?
5. Why was Zhu Di eager to open up trade negotiations with Japanese representatives, in "Chapter 7, Emissaries of the Dragon Throne"?
6. Why did Zhu Di infuriate the Timurids, and what happened as a result?
7. Who was Hang Libo, and why was she brought to Malacca, in "Chapter 11, The Sultan's Bride"?
8. What last attempt was made by Wang Zhi in 1477?
9. What did the first Ming Emperor, Zhu Yuanzhang make sure happened when the treasure fleet traveled?
10. Who did Zhu Di replace in 1415?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the island of Ceylon and the conflict which broke out between Alakeswarra and Zheng He.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the Forbidden City and how Zhu Di was affected by the bad luck of the city.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss polygamous households and their role in ancient China.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)