|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What appeared during the building of the fleet?
2. What was the destination of the treasure fleet's first mission?
3. Where was the treasure fleet to sail on its third voyage?
4. In what year were Khubilai Khan's forces defeated by the Chinese?
5. Who does "Chapter 4, The Treasure Fleet" say were used in command position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first destination of the third voyage of the treasure fleet in the fall of 1409, according to "Chapter 6, The Strange Kingdoms of Malacca and Ceylon"?
2. What did Zheng He carry with him, and what did he plan to do with it?
3. What did the Song Dynasty establish to protect its sovereignty, and how did it set China apart?
4. What were eunuchs used for in the Han Dynasty?
5. Who was Alakeswara, what did he refuse and what happened as a result?
6. Who was made commander in chief of the treasure fleet, in "Chapter 5, Destination: Calicut," and why was this significant?
7. In "Chapter 1, The Yi Peoples," what did those living in southern regions of China turn to for their livelihood and why?
8. What did the Emperor order in 1403, according to "Chapter 4, The Treasure Fleet"?
9. How did Confucius' ideas on trade affect China?
10. What did archaeological evidence show about these migrants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the archaeological evidence discussed in the "Epilogue" and what such evidence indicates about Chinese populations.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Emperor in ancient China, how an Emperor was chosen, as well as the responsibilities of an Emperor.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Zhu Di as he became Emperor of the Dragon Throne, and why he was eager to open trade negotiations with the Japanese.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)