|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city was believed to be the greatest one in the 7th Century A.D.?
(d) Zhu Towan.
2. What were the eunuchs castrated before puberty called?
(b) Pure from childhood.
(d) Little women.
3. What were the duties of the medical officers on the Emperor's ships?
(a) Collect medicinal herbs from other countries.
(b) Prevent scurvy.
(c) Take care of the women on board.
(d) Look after the water supply.
4. When did Zhu Yuanzhang die?
5. Why did the ships built for the south seas sport a pointed hull?
(a) To increase speed.
(b) To ram other ships.
(c) To board other ships.
(d) To allow them to travel through rough waters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ruled the Western ports of India when the treasure fleet arrived?
2. Where did the warships escorting the treasure fleet first engage pirates?
3. How did the Emperor extend the number of oceangoing ships without building new ones?
4. Why did the treasure fleet wait several months at the first stop?
5. What color were the sails of the treasure ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zheng He carry with him, and what did he plan to do with it?
2. How did Confucius' ideas on trade affect China?
3. Why was the second mission smaller in scale?
4. What did the sophisticated fleet include?
5. What did the actions of the two corrupt Chinese merchants confirm, and how did it influence China?
6. What was the strength of the treasure ships attributed to?
7. Who felt the strain of the fleet?
8. What did the Song Dynasty establish to protect its sovereignty, and how did it set China apart?
9. What did Khubilai Khan lose, and what resulted, according to "Chapter 3, The Prisoner and the Prince"?
10. What happened to eunuchs before they reached puberty, and how were they described as adults?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)