|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of trade developed in the 7th and 8th Century?
(a) Coal trade.
(b) Silk trade.
(c) Human trade.
(d) Horse trade.
2. What caused the sea to rise quickly?
(b) Volcanic activity.
(c) A large earthquake.
(d) The ice melting.
3. Who destroyed the pagoda Zhu Di built in honor of his mother?
(a) The Tartars.
(b) Zhu Di's son.
(c) The Mongols.
(d) The Taiping Rebellion.
4. What regions were in economic peril because of Zhu Yuanzhang's retreat from trade?
(a) Inland China.
(c) Indonesia and the Malay Peninsula.
5. Where was the treasure fleet to sail on its third voyage?
(a) Persian Sea.
(b) The Philippines.
(c) Indian Ocean.
(d) Pacific Ocean.
6. What were the duties of the medical officers on the Emperor's ships?
(a) Look after the water supply.
(b) Prevent scurvy.
(c) Collect medicinal herbs from other countries.
(d) Take care of the women on board.
7. What appeared during the building of the fleet?
(a) British envoys.
(b) Mongol soldiers.
(c) Steel rivet construction method.
8. Where did the treasure fleet go before stopping at Ceylon during its third voyage?
(c) Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula.
(d) The Philippines.
9. What shape were the sails of the treasure ship ?
10. What gift was Zhu Di fascinated with, according to "Chapter 6, The Strange Kingdoms of Malacca and Ceylon"?
(a) A lion.
(b) A giraffe.
(c) A rudimentary magnifying glass.
(d) A white woman.
11. What kingdom was established around 1500 B.C.?
(a) The Shang.
(b) The Swang Kingdom.
(c) The Tang Empire.
(d) The Ming Dynasty.
12. What was a flying tiger in the 13th century?
(a) A canon.
(b) A firework.
(c) A Chinese warship.
(d) A kite.
13. Who does "Chapter 4, The Treasure Fleet" say were used in command position?
14. Why did the Yi turn to the sea for their subsistence?
(a) They knew how to make boats.
(b) They didn't have land to cultivate.
(c) The ground was too frozen to cultivate.
(d) They liked fish.
15. What dynasty was established in 618 A.D.?
(a) The Wang dynasty.
(b) The Tang dynasty.
(c) The Ming dynasty.
(d) The Yi dynasty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resources came to China from Burma in the 7th Century?
2. How did the Emperor extend the number of oceangoing ships without building new ones?
3. What happened to Zhu Di's mother?
4. How large of an army did the Chinese have when they took the provincial seat at Kunming?
5. How many ships were part of the second voyage of the treasure fleet?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)