|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument was used by the treasure fleet to mark the passage of time?
(a) An hourglass.
(b) A pocket watch.
(c) Graded incense sticks.
(d) A pendulum clock.
2. What city did Marco Polo say was "greater than any city"?
(a) Wen Mibng.
3. When did Confucius live, according to "Chapter 2, Confucians and Curiosities"?
(a) 5th century.
(b) 3th century.
(c) 6th century.
(d) 7th century.
4. Where was the treasure fleet launched from?
(b) The Yangzi.
(d) The Yellow Sea.
5. In what countries were artifacts similar to those of the first historical kingdom found?
(a) France and England.
(b) Peru and Mexico.
(c) Iran and Pakistan.
(d) Iraq and Israel.
6. What appeared during the building of the fleet?
(a) Mongol soldiers.
(c) Steel rivet construction method.
(d) British envoys.
7. What dynasty was established in 618 A.D.?
(a) The Ming dynasty.
(b) The Yi dynasty.
(c) The Wang dynasty.
(d) The Tang dynasty.
8. Why did the inhabitants of central China decide to leave the area?
(a) The Yellow River overflowed.
(b) The cattle died of poisoning.
(c) The Mongols invaded.
(d) The Yangzi River was iced over.
9. How large of an army did the Chinese have when they took the provincial seat at Kunming?
10. Whom did Zhu Yunwen allow to return to Zhu Di?
(a) Zhu Di's wife.
(b) Zhu Di's three remaining sons.
(c) 2,000 of Zhu Di's soldiers.
(d) 25 of Zhu Di's concubines.
11. When did the third voyage of the treasure fleet start, according to "Chapter 6, The Strange Kingdoms of Malacca and Ceylon"?
(a) Summer of 1409.
(b) Fall of 1409.
(c) Spring of 1409.
(d) Fall of 1419.
12. What was the west coast of India known for?
(a) Slaves and sugar.
(b) Rum and gold.
(c) Silk and spices.
(d) Spices and wood.
13. When did Zhu Di claim the throne of China?
14. What were the Indonesians trying to escape from during the first and second millennium B.C.?
(a) The volcanoes of the region.
(b) The lack of fresh water.
(c) Invading Spanish settlers.
(d) War with the Micronesians.
15. Why did the Yi turn to the sea for their subsistence?
(a) The ground was too frozen to cultivate.
(b) They knew how to make boats.
(c) They didn't have land to cultivate.
(d) They liked fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument was used by the treasure fleet to determine their latitude?
2. What did the first boat people cross, according to "Chapter 1, The Yi Peoples"?
3. Who took the Chine Empire throne in 1398?
4. How big was the treasure ship?
5. What modern types of vessels were the early Chinese seafarers using similar to?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)