|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Yi people start the Chinese seafaring tradition, according to "Chapter 1, The Yi Peoples"?
(a) 2000 B.C.
(b) 3000 B.C.
(c) 4000 B.C.
(d) 1000 B.C.
2. What were the Indonesians trying to escape from during the first and second millennium B.C.?
(a) War with the Micronesians.
(b) Invading Spanish settlers.
(c) The volcanoes of the region.
(d) The lack of fresh water.
3. What ship building tool did the Chinese develop in the 10th century?
(b) The hammer.
(c) Dry docks.
4. Whom did Zhu Yunwen allow to return to Zhu Di?
(a) Zhu Di's three remaining sons.
(b) 2,000 of Zhu Di's soldiers.
(c) Zhu Di's wife.
(d) 25 of Zhu Di's concubines.
5. How many factions were fighting for the control of Ceylon?
6. Where was Parameswara driven out from?
7. What type of trade developed in the 7th and 8th Century?
(a) Human trade.
(b) Silk trade.
(c) Coal trade.
(d) Horse trade.
8. Why did Zhu Yuanzhang forbid his sons from attending his funeral?
(a) He didn't want his tomb looted.
(b) He wanted them to pray for him at the temple.
(c) He didn't want his concubines to be stolen.
(d) He feared they would fight to gain power.
9. What did the treasure fleet discover in Java?
(a) Numerous shipwrecks.
(b) Colonies of trade merchants.
(c) Gold mines.
(d) Primitive villages.
10. What country did the Mongols invade in 1274?
(d) The Phillipines.
11. Why was Parameswara having problems when the treasure fleet came to his kingdom?
(a) His army was rebelling.
(b) His army suffered from malaria.
(c) His fleet lost a major battle against pirates.
(d) He challenged Siamese authority.
12. Why did the Emperor order the construction of the treasure ship?
(a) To show the world the strength of the Empire.
(b) To show the Empire's craftsmanship.
(c) To bring riches to the Empire.
(d) To bring orders for large ships to Chineses shipyards.
13. What did the Emperor do to Alakeswara when he was brought before him?
(a) He imprisoned him.
(b) He pardoned him.
(c) He killed him.
(d) He put him back on the throne.
14. How many oceangoing ships did the Emperor order other provinces to build?
15. What were the eunuchs castrated before puberty called?
(a) Little women.
(d) Pure from childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the treasure fleet go before stopping at Ceylon during its third voyage?
2. What was a flying tiger in the 13th century?
3. What did the Chinese commander of the treasure fleet bring with plans to leave it in a place of honor?
4. What special feature did the Emperor's fleet include, according to "Chapter 4, The Treasure Fleet"?
5. When did Zhu Di claim the throne of China?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)