|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a flying tiger in the 13th century?
(a) A Chinese warship.
(b) A kite.
(c) A canon.
(d) A firework.
2. Who took power over the Chinese Empire in 1279?
(b) Zhu Yi.
(c) Khubilai Khan.
(d) Khan Noonien Singh.
3. When did the Emperor order the Fujian province to produce oceangoing ships, according to "Chapter 4, The Treasure Fleet"?
4. What goddess did the crew of the treasure fleet pray to before they left?
5. What were the duties of the medical officers on the Emperor's ships?
(a) Look after the water supply.
(b) Collect medicinal herbs from other countries.
(c) Prevent scurvy.
(d) Take care of the women on board.
6. In what year were Khubilai Khan's forces defeated by the Chinese?
7. Whom did Zhu Yunwen allow to return to Zhu Di?
(a) 2,000 of Zhu Di's soldiers.
(b) Zhu Di's three remaining sons.
(c) Zhu Di's wife.
(d) 25 of Zhu Di's concubines.
8. How did the Emperor extend the number of oceangoing ships without building new ones?
(a) He refurbished existing ships.
(b) He captured Japanese ships.
(c) He asked for donations from other kingdoms.
(d) He bought Indian ships.
9. What city was believed to be the greatest one in the 7th Century A.D.?
(d) Zhu Towan.
10. What modern types of vessels were the early Chinese seafarers using similar to?
(a) Cruise ships.
(b) Tub boats.
(d) Sailing rafts.
11. When did the third voyage of the treasure fleet start, according to "Chapter 6, The Strange Kingdoms of Malacca and Ceylon"?
(a) Fall of 1409.
(b) Summer of 1409.
(c) Fall of 1419.
(d) Spring of 1409.
12. What did Zhu Yuanzhang become after the victory over the Mongols?
(a) Head of the Chinese army.
(b) First Emperor of the Ming Dynasty.
(c) Second emperor of the Ming Dynasty.
(d) Head of the eunuchs of the Emperor.
13. How were the Confucian principals taught to Zhu's sons?
(a) Though religious books.
(b) Through stories of sacrifice and loyalty.
(c) Through stories of war.
(d) Through horror stories.
14. What did Confucius say about contact with foreigners?
(a) They were necessary.
(b) They were profitable.
(c) They were evil.
(d) Nothing could be gained from them.
15. What compromised Chinese trade interests in the 3rd century A.D?
(a) The fall of available wood to build chips.
(b) The rise of Japanese piracy.
(c) The fall of the Han Dynasty.
(d) The rise of the British Navy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dynasty was established in 618 A.D.?
2. What city did Marco Polo say was "greater than any city"?
3. Where was the treasure fleet launched from?
4. What did the requirements for the building of the Emperor's fleet strain?
5. How did Khubilai Khan lose part of his army during the invasion of Burma?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)