|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the inhabitants of central China decide to leave the area?
(a) The Yellow River overflowed.
(b) The Mongols invaded.
(c) The cattle died of poisoning.
(d) The Yangzi River was iced over.
2. Who took power over the Chinese Empire in 1279?
(a) Zhu Yi.
(c) Khubilai Khan.
(d) Khan Noonien Singh.
3. Why did Zhu Yuanzhang forbid his sons from attending his funeral?
(a) He feared they would fight to gain power.
(b) He wanted them to pray for him at the temple.
(c) He didn't want his tomb looted.
(d) He didn't want his concubines to be stolen.
4. Who controlled the trade in the Indian Ocean in the 12th century?
(a) The British.
(b) The Japanese.
(c) The Chinese.
(d) Persians and Arabs.
5. What instrument was used by the treasure fleet to determine their latitude?
(a) A quianxingban.
(b) A quinoyi.
(c) A wantanzi.
(d) A tiwini.
6. What did Zhu Di appoint Zheng He do, according to "Chapter 5, Destination: Calicut"?
(a) Doctor of the fleet.
(b) Second in command.
(c) Commander of the treasure fleet.
(d) Prime political negotiator.
7. What Chinese building methods made the building of the treasure ship possible?
(a) Use of silk sails.
(b) Watertight bulwark and balanced rudders.
(c) Use of tar to waterproof the hull.
(d) Steel reinforcement.
8. What was China's main reason for nurturing good relations with Malacca?
(a) Bring stability to the region.
(b) Malacca's repair facilities.
(c) Malacca's reserves in gold.
(d) Malacca's sulfur mines.
9. Who was commanding the pirates that the treasure fleet defeated?
(a) Ya Kang.
(b) Yhu Tang.
(c) Chen Wan.
(d) Chen Zuyi.
10. Who described the existence of ships similar to those of the early Chinese seafarer in South America?
(a) American missionaries.
(b) Spanish explorers.
(c) Portuguese explorers.
(d) Native Americans.
11. What did the crew of the treasure fleet think was causing typhoons?
(a) The goddess Ya Zi.
(b) Underwater volcanoes.
(c) Dragons beneath the sea.
12. What resources came to China from Persia in the 7th Century?
13. When did the treasure fleet return from its third voyage?
14. What did Confucius say about contact with foreigners?
(a) Nothing could be gained from them.
(b) They were necessary.
(c) They were evil.
(d) They were profitable.
15. What city was believed to be the greatest one in the 7th Century A.D.?
(b) Zhu Towan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who forced Parameswara to exile himself to Malacca?
2. Where did the treasure fleet go before stopping at Ceylon during its third voyage?
3. What was the destination of the treasure fleet's first mission?
4. What did Zhu Yuanzhang become after the victory over the Mongols?
5. What did the treasure fleet discover in Java?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)