|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What resources came to China from Burma in the 7th Century?
(a) Black pepper.
2. What kingdom was established around 1500 B.C.?
(a) The Tang Empire.
(b) The Shang.
(c) The Ming Dynasty.
(d) The Swang Kingdom.
3. What does archeological evidence indicate about the Yi people?
(a) They sacrificed women.
(b) They used tar.
(c) They traveled as far as New Guinea and Australia.
(d) They didn't know bronze.
4. What did Confucius say about contact with foreigners?
(a) They were evil.
(b) They were profitable.
(c) They were necessary.
(d) Nothing could be gained from them.
5. What modern types of vessels were the early Chinese seafarers using similar to?
(a) Cruise ships.
(c) Sailing rafts.
(d) Tub boats.
6. What was the west coast of India known for?
(a) Spices and wood.
(b) Silk and spices.
(c) Slaves and sugar.
(d) Rum and gold.
7. Whom did Zhu Yunwen allow to return to Zhu Di?
(a) 25 of Zhu Di's concubines.
(b) Zhu Di's wife.
(c) 2,000 of Zhu Di's soldiers.
(d) Zhu Di's three remaining sons.
8. Where did the Yi forefathers migrate from?
(a) Lowlands of China.
(b) Highlands of central China.
(c) The Mongol Empire.
9. When did Zhu Di claim the throne of China?
10. What gift was Zhu Di fascinated with, according to "Chapter 6, The Strange Kingdoms of Malacca and Ceylon"?
(a) A white woman.
(b) A rudimentary magnifying glass.
(c) A lion.
(d) A giraffe.
11. What appeared during the building of the fleet?
(b) Mongol soldiers.
(c) Steel rivet construction method.
(d) British envoys.
12. What happened to Zhu Di's mother?
(a) She was imprisoned in an iron skirt and died of cold outside.
(b) She was sentenced to life in prison.
(c) She escaped to Japan.
(d) She was fed to the dogs.
13. Who took power over the Chinese Empire in 1279?
(a) Khan Noonien Singh.
(b) Zhu Yi.
(d) Khubilai Khan.
14. What goddess did the crew of the treasure fleet pray to before they left?
15. Why did the Yi turn to the sea for their subsistence?
(a) The ground was too frozen to cultivate.
(b) They liked fish.
(c) They knew how to make boats.
(d) They didn't have land to cultivate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the warships escorting the treasure fleet first engage pirates?
2. What city was believed to be the greatest one in the 7th Century A.D.?
3. What were the eunuchs castrated before puberty called?
4. Who destroyed the pagoda Zhu Di built in honor of his mother?
5. Who took the Chine Empire throne in 1398?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)