|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took the Chine Empire throne in 1398?
(a) Zhu He.
(b) Zhu Wa-yi.
(c) Zhu The.
(d) Zhu Yunwen.
2. When did the treasure fleet return from its third voyage?
3. What regions were in economic peril because of Zhu Yuanzhang's retreat from trade?
(b) Indonesia and the Malay Peninsula.
(d) Inland China.
4. Who were the descendants of the Chinese seafaring people?
(b) Seafaring people of Indonesia and Polynesia.
(c) The British.
(d) The Hawaiian people.
5. What did the treasure fleet discover in Java?
(a) Primitive villages.
(b) Numerous shipwrecks.
(c) Gold mines.
(d) Colonies of trade merchants.
6. What were the duties of the medical officers on the Emperor's ships?
(a) Prevent scurvy.
(b) Look after the water supply.
(c) Collect medicinal herbs from other countries.
(d) Take care of the women on board.
7. When did Confucius live, according to "Chapter 2, Confucians and Curiosities"?
(a) 6th century.
(b) 5th century.
(c) 7th century.
(d) 3th century.
8. Why did the Emperor order the construction of the treasure ship?
(a) To show the world the strength of the Empire.
(b) To bring riches to the Empire.
(c) To show the Empire's craftsmanship.
(d) To bring orders for large ships to Chineses shipyards.
9. What special feature did the Emperor's fleet include, according to "Chapter 4, The Treasure Fleet"?
(a) Fishing ships.
(b) Pleasure ships.
(c) Greenhouse ships.
(d) Water tankers.
10. What city did Marco Polo say was "greater than any city"?
(c) Wen Mibng.
11. Who does "Chapter 4, The Treasure Fleet" say were used in command position?
12. How many sons did Zhu Yuanzhang father?
13. Where did the warships escorting the treasure fleet first engage pirates?
(a) The Persian Sea.
(b) The Strait of Malacca.
(c) The Yellow Sea.
(d) The Indian Ocean.
14. Whom was Zhu Di the son of?
(a) Zhu Yuanzhang.
(b) A Persian prisoner.
(c) A consort.
(d) A Mongol.
15. How were the Confucian principals taught to Zhu's sons?
(a) Through stories of sacrifice and loyalty.
(b) Through horror stories.
(c) Through stories of war.
(d) Though religious books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Malacca's survival dependent on?
2. What city was believed to be the greatest one in the 7th Century A.D.?
3. Why did the Yi turn to the sea for their subsistence?
4. Where was Parameswara driven out from?
5. What appeared during the building of the fleet?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)