|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Yi people start the Chinese seafaring tradition, according to "Chapter 1, The Yi Peoples"?
(a) 2000 B.C.
(b) 1000 B.C.
(c) 4000 B.C.
(d) 3000 B.C.
2. In what year were Khubilai Khan's forces defeated by the Chinese?
3. What instrument was used by the treasure fleet to mark the passage of time?
(a) An hourglass.
(b) A pocket watch.
(c) A pendulum clock.
(d) Graded incense sticks.
4. What emperor understood the profitable results of trade and commerce?
(a) Ayak do.
(b) Zhu Wen.
(c) Goa Zong.
(d) Goa Wen.
5. What house led the Chinese army that defeated the Mongols in 1382?
(a) The Tangs.
(b) The Mings.
(c) The Wi.
(d) The Wangs.
6. When did the Emperor order the Fujian province to produce oceangoing ships, according to "Chapter 4, The Treasure Fleet"?
7. Who took the Chine Empire throne in 1398?
(a) Zhu Wa-yi.
(b) Zhu Yunwen.
(c) Zhu The.
(d) Zhu He.
8. When was the second voyage of the treasure fleet planned for?
9. What was Malacca's survival dependent on?
(a) A strong navy.
(b) Being allied with China.
(c) A strong army.
(d) Aggressive trade policies.
10. Why did the inhabitants of central China decide to leave the area?
(a) The Yellow River overflowed.
(b) The Yangzi River was iced over.
(c) The Mongols invaded.
(d) The cattle died of poisoning.
11. What compromised Chinese trade interests in the 3rd century A.D?
(a) The fall of the Han Dynasty.
(b) The fall of available wood to build chips.
(c) The rise of Japanese piracy.
(d) The rise of the British Navy.
12. What special feature did the Emperor's fleet include, according to "Chapter 4, The Treasure Fleet"?
(a) Pleasure ships.
(b) Water tankers.
(c) Fishing ships.
(d) Greenhouse ships.
13. What was Alakeswara the commander of?
(a) The strongest faction fighting for the control of Ceylon.
(b) The weakest faction fighting for the control of Ceylon.
(c) The Chinese land army.
(d) The interpreter brought by the Chinese.
14. Where was the treasure fleet to sail on its third voyage?
(a) The Philippines.
(b) Indian Ocean.
(c) Pacific Ocean.
(d) Persian Sea.
15. When were the Yi able to migrate to Alaska and North America?
(a) In 1207 B.C.
(b) After developing the first sail boat.
(c) At the start of the Ming Dynasty.
(d) During the last Ice Age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the sea to rise quickly?
2. What did the treasure fleet discover in Java?
3. What goddess did the crew of the treasure fleet pray to before they left?
4. What did the first boat people cross, according to "Chapter 1, The Yi Peoples"?
5. Who forced the first historic kingdom from the inland to the shores?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)