|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who controlled the trade in the Indian Ocean in the 12th century?
(a) Persians and Arabs.
(b) The British.
(c) The Chinese.
(d) The Japanese.
2. How many oceangoing ships did the Emperor order other provinces to build?
3. Where was the treasure fleet launched from?
(b) The Yangzi.
(d) The Yellow Sea.
4. What house led the Chinese army that defeated the Mongols in 1382?
(a) The Wangs.
(b) The Mings.
(c) The Tangs.
(d) The Wi.
5. What were the eunuchs castrated before puberty called?
(a) Little women.
(d) Pure from childhood.
6. Why did the inhabitants of central China decide to leave the area?
(a) The Yellow River overflowed.
(b) The cattle died of poisoning.
(c) The Yangzi River was iced over.
(d) The Mongols invaded.
7. What resources came to China from Burma in the 7th Century?
(d) Black pepper.
8. What shape were the sails of the treasure ship ?
9. What ship building tool did the Chinese develop in the 10th century?
(a) The hammer.
(d) Dry docks.
10. Who described the existence of ships similar to those of the early Chinese seafarer in South America?
(a) Spanish explorers.
(b) Portuguese explorers.
(c) Native Americans.
(d) American missionaries.
11. What was a flying tiger in the 13th century?
(a) A kite.
(b) A firework.
(c) A Chinese warship.
(d) A canon.
12. What dynasty made Confucianism the basis of the Chinese moral code?
(a) The Tang Dynasty.
(b) The Han Dynasty.
(c) The Ming Dynasty.
(d) The Wangzu Dynasty.
13. When was the first unified Chines empire created?
(a) 521 B.C.
(b) 121 B.C.
(c) 321 B.C.
(d) 221 B.C.
14. In what year were Khubilai Khan's forces defeated by the Chinese?
15. What were the duties of the medical officers on the Emperor's ships?
(a) Take care of the women on board.
(b) Look after the water supply.
(c) Collect medicinal herbs from other countries.
(d) Prevent scurvy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships were part of the second voyage of the treasure fleet?
2. What was the west coast of India known for?
3. What did the crew of the treasure fleet think was causing typhoons?
4. What was Alakeswara the commander of?
5. What country did the Mongols invade in 1274?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)