|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Zhu Yuanzhang forbid his sons from attending his funeral?
(a) He didn't want his tomb looted.
(b) He feared they would fight to gain power.
(c) He didn't want his concubines to be stolen.
(d) He wanted them to pray for him at the temple.
2. Why did the Yi turn to the sea for their subsistence?
(a) They liked fish.
(b) The ground was too frozen to cultivate.
(c) They didn't have land to cultivate.
(d) They knew how to make boats.
3. When was the second voyage of the treasure fleet planned for?
4. Who were the descendants of the Chinese seafaring people?
(a) The British.
(b) Seafaring people of Indonesia and Polynesia.
(c) The Hawaiian people.
5. What caused the sea to rise quickly?
(b) The ice melting.
(c) A large earthquake.
(d) Volcanic activity.
6. What did the treasure fleet discover in Java?
(a) Primitive villages.
(b) Numerous shipwrecks.
(c) Gold mines.
(d) Colonies of trade merchants.
7. Whom was Zhu Di the son of?
(a) A consort.
(b) A Persian prisoner.
(c) A Mongol.
(d) Zhu Yuanzhang.
8. Why was Parameswara having problems when the treasure fleet came to his kingdom?
(a) His fleet lost a major battle against pirates.
(b) His army suffered from malaria.
(c) He challenged Siamese authority.
(d) His army was rebelling.
9. What instrument was used by the treasure fleet to determine their latitude?
(a) A wantanzi.
(b) A quinoyi.
(c) A tiwini.
(d) A quianxingban.
10. What was the west coast of India known for?
(a) Spices and wood.
(b) Slaves and sugar.
(c) Silk and spices.
(d) Rum and gold.
11. What appeared during the building of the fleet?
(b) British envoys.
(c) Steel rivet construction method.
(d) Mongol soldiers.
12. What happened to the young sons of the defeated Mongols?
(a) They were castrated.
(b) They were imprisoned.
(c) They were freed.
(d) They were killed.
13. How were the Confucian principals taught to Zhu's sons?
(a) Through stories of war.
(b) Through horror stories.
(c) Through stories of sacrifice and loyalty.
(d) Though religious books.
14. What house led the Chinese army that defeated the Mongols in 1382?
(a) The Wangs.
(b) The Wi.
(c) The Mings.
(d) The Tangs.
15. How did Khubilai Khan lose part of his army during the invasion of Burma?
(a) The plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Emperor order the construction of the treasure ship?
2. What city did Marco Polo say was "greater than any city"?
3. What did the Chinese commander of the treasure fleet bring with plans to leave it in a place of honor?
4. What type of trade developed in the 7th and 8th Century?
5. What emperor understood the profitable results of trade and commerce?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)