|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many factions were fighting for the control of Ceylon?
2. When was the first unified Chines empire created?
(a) 321 B.C.
(b) 521 B.C.
(c) 121 B.C.
(d) 221 B.C.
3. What was a flying tiger in the 13th century?
(a) A canon.
(b) A firework.
(c) A kite.
(d) A Chinese warship.
4. Where did the warships escorting the treasure fleet first engage pirates?
(a) The Strait of Malacca.
(b) The Indian Ocean.
(c) The Yellow Sea.
(d) The Persian Sea.
5. Why was Zheng He's appointment unique?
(a) He was a farmer.
(b) He was a eunuch.
(c) She was a woman.
(d) He was not of noble heritage.
6. What does archeological evidence indicate about the Yi people?
(a) They sacrificed women.
(b) They didn't know bronze.
(c) They used tar.
(d) They traveled as far as New Guinea and Australia.
7. Who were the descendants of the Chinese seafaring people?
(a) Seafaring people of Indonesia and Polynesia.
(b) The Hawaiian people.
(d) The British.
8. When did the Song Dynasty rule China?
(a) 760-1279 A.D.
(b) 960-1279 A.D.
(c) 960-1379 A.D.
(d) 960-1879 A.D.
9. What emperor understood the profitable results of trade and commerce?
(a) Zhu Wen.
(b) Goa Zong.
(c) Ayak do.
(d) Goa Wen.
10. What city did Marco Polo say was "greater than any city"?
(c) Wen Mibng.
11. How were the Confucian principals taught to Zhu's sons?
(a) Through horror stories.
(b) Through stories of war.
(c) Though religious books.
(d) Through stories of sacrifice and loyalty.
12. Who was commanding the pirates that the treasure fleet defeated?
(a) Yhu Tang.
(b) Ya Kang.
(c) Chen Zuyi.
(d) Chen Wan.
13. What Chinese building methods made the building of the treasure ship possible?
(a) Steel reinforcement.
(b) Use of tar to waterproof the hull.
(c) Use of silk sails.
(d) Watertight bulwark and balanced rudders.
14. What happened to the young sons of the defeated Mongols?
(a) They were freed.
(b) They were killed.
(c) They were imprisoned.
(d) They were castrated.
15. Who forced the first historic kingdom from the inland to the shores?
(a) The Tartars.
(b) The Ming.
(c) The Mongols.
(d) The Zhou.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Yi people start the Chinese seafaring tradition, according to "Chapter 1, The Yi Peoples"?
2. Who does "Chapter 4, The Treasure Fleet" say were used in command position?
3. Where did the fleet first stop on its way to India?
4. Who destroyed the pagoda Zhu Di built in honor of his mother?
5. What did Zhu Yuanzhang become after the victory over the Mongols?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)