|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Emperor order the construction of the treasure ship?
(a) To show the world the strength of the Empire.
(b) To bring orders for large ships to Chineses shipyards.
(c) To bring riches to the Empire.
(d) To show the Empire's craftsmanship.
2. What resources came to China from Persia in the 7th Century?
3. What did the Chinese commander of the treasure fleet bring with plans to leave it in a place of honor?
(a) A tri-lingual tablet.
(b) A stone temple.
(c) A gold statue of Confucius.
(d) A totem.
4. What did the crew of the treasure fleet think was causing typhoons?
(b) Dragons beneath the sea.
(c) The goddess Ya Zi.
(d) Underwater volcanoes.
5. How did Khubilai Khan lose part of his army during the invasion of Burma?
(a) The plague.
6. What gift was Zhu Di fascinated with, according to "Chapter 6, The Strange Kingdoms of Malacca and Ceylon"?
(a) A lion.
(b) A white woman.
(c) A rudimentary magnifying glass.
(d) A giraffe.
7. What was the mission of the representatives sent to China after the return of the treasure fleet?
(a) Honor and pay tribute to Zhu Di.
(b) To kill the Emperor.
(c) To buy Chinese boats.
(d) To spy on the Chinese.
8. What were the Indonesians trying to escape from during the first and second millennium B.C.?
(a) The lack of fresh water.
(b) Invading Spanish settlers.
(c) War with the Micronesians.
(d) The volcanoes of the region.
9. What city was believed to be the greatest one in the 7th Century A.D.?
(b) Zhu Towan.
10. Who forced the first historic kingdom from the inland to the shores?
(a) The Zhou.
(b) The Ming.
(c) The Mongols.
(d) The Tartars.
11. What type of trade developed in the 7th and 8th Century?
(a) Horse trade.
(b) Human trade.
(c) Silk trade.
(d) Coal trade.
12. What happened to the young sons of the defeated Mongols?
(a) They were imprisoned.
(b) They were killed.
(c) They were castrated.
(d) They were freed.
13. What shape were the sails of the treasure ship ?
14. Who ruled the Western ports of India when the treasure fleet arrived?
(a) The Zamorin.
(b) The Tizamo.
(c) The Nerus.
(d) The Ishama.
15. Who took the Chine Empire throne in 1398?
(a) Zhu The.
(b) Zhu He.
(c) Zhu Wa-yi.
(d) Zhu Yunwen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who forced Parameswara to exile himself to Malacca?
2. Who was in command of the third voyage of the treasure fleet?
3. What were the duties of the medical officers on the Emperor's ships?
4. What house led the Chinese army that defeated the Mongols in 1382?
5. How many oceangoing ships did the Emperor order the Fujian province to build?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)