|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After two months of physical therapy, how long could Paul sit without tiring in Part 2, Section 1?
2. How long before Paul's cancer diagnosis had he been in the hospital with appendicitis?
3. What couldn't Paul do at the beginning of Part 2, Section 4?
4. In Part 2, Section 2, when did Paul and Lucy go to church with Paul's parents?
5. When Paul first returned to his residency in Part 2, Section 2, how many cases did he decide he would do a day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Paul begin reading literature again in Part 2, Section 2?
2. How did Paul alter his physical therapy program once he decided to go back to the operating room?
3. How did Paul describe the way that Cady grew?
4. How did Paul describe himself and his condition at the beginning of Part 2, Section 4?
5. What did Paul envision as he held his daughter for the first time?
6. What was M&M?
7. How was Paul able to be in the delivery room with Lucy?
8. How did Paul describe his oncologist when he first met her in Part 2, Section 1?
9. How did Paul like to suture a patient's skin after surgery?
10. When Paul viewed his first CT scan after his treatments in Part 2, Section 2, how did the scan look compared to his previous scan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul wondered if he would be able to face death with integrity. In what ways did Paul face death with integrity? What people in his life enabled him to face death with integrity? What role did his character play in helping him face death with integrity?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy expected to only feel empty and heartbroken after Paul's death. What range of emotions did she feel besides heartbreak? In what ways was she still taking part in the life they had created, and how did that help her move beyond heartbreak?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book was "When Breath Becomes Air." What does that title mean and how did Paul's breath become air?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)