Forward and Prologue
• The foreword was written by Abraham Verghese.
• Although Verghese met Paul once, he felt that he really got to know Paul after his death.
• Verghese didn’t contact Paul after their meeting because he knew Paul needed to spend time with his family.
• Verghese found great beauty in Paul’s writing and compared Paul’s writing to some of his favorite writers.
• Verghese received a copy of Paul’s manuscript two months after Paul’s funeral and was very moved.
• The Prologue began with Paul describing how he lay in a hospital bed looking at his CT scans as he had looked at many for his patients.
• This time, though, they were his.
• Both he and his wife agreed that the scans showed cancer.
• Six months before, Paul had gone to see a doctor because he was having extreme pain and weight loss.
• Both Paul...
This section contains 2,950 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)