|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1941, who was the Secretary of War that Bethune wrote to regarding the war department's failure to invite the NCNW to a meeting that was organizing women for the war effort?
2. What was sold to raise part of the rest of the money needed to finance the school that Bethune needed to start her school?
3. What novel described all kinds of women with poetic rapture?
4. What was the "talk of the twenties"?
5. How many brothers and sister did Mary McLeod Bethune have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions were Blacks left with in the years following WWI?
2. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
3. What was the Negro Congress and the Southern Negro Youth Congress able to settle in regard to the strike between Black women and the I.N. Vaughn Company?
4. What did the suffrage campaign represent for Black women?
5. According to Virginia Durr, what were the two ways that the Depression affected people?
6. How did Mary McLeod Bethune finance the Daytona School for Girls?
7. What preparations did Lugenia Burns Hope make for the CIC meeting in Memphis?
8. Describe the KKK between 1915 and 1919.
9. What desire did Mary McLeod Bethune have after leaving Presbyterian Mission School?
10. What were the ratio differences between young Black women and young White women over the age of fourteen working?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of Black female slaves from setting foot on American soil until slavery was abolished?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the problems that Black women faced in regard to the establishment of Black feminist groups. What problems did black women face in regard to opposition from white men and women and from black men?
Essay Topic 3
Although the book's focus was mainly on the problems that Black women faced, issues that White women faced were also detailed. Compare and contrast the issues that both White and Black women faced.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)