|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cigar company found itself in the middle of a strike in 1917 in Norfolk, Virginia?
2. How many Black branches of the YWCA were there by 1919?
3. After the strike on the pecan factory in St. Louis ended, how much more per week did the women working there get paid?
4. Where was the Council for Interracial Cooperation founded?
5. What was Mary McLeod Bethune riding aboard in 1927?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change did the Susan B. Anthony Amendment face in regard to the Jones Amendment?
2. What desire did Mary McLeod Bethune have after leaving Presbyterian Mission School?
3. What happened to the Daytona School for Girls between 1915 and 1927?
4. Why did "Half-Century" in 1922 state that brown skin was more appealing?
5. How did the Federal Emergency Relief Administration of the Department of Labor make life harder for Blacks during the Depression?
6. Why did the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt not give Black leaders any reason to celebrate?
7. What accomplishments did the NACW have by 1916?
8. What caused a dramatic shift in the role of the woman in the work force in 1941?
9. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
10. How did Mary McLeod Bethune finance the Daytona School for Girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the problems that Black women faced prior to the creation of laws that bettered treatment of slaves.
Essay Topic 2
How did Black women impact the issues associated with race? What did they initiate? What progress were they responsible for?
Essay Topic 3
One major success story, the story of Madame Walker, was described in the book. What was the story of Madame Walker? Who was she? Where did her success stem from? What did her success spearhead for Black women?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)