|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many, counting Mary McLeod Bethune, of her siblings were able to attend school?
2. What advertising image did the chapter "A Search for Self" state was grotesque? (As pointed out by Elise McDougald.)
3. Who was elected President of the United States in 1932?
4. What Black poet's work was entered into "The Congressional Record" by Senator Henry Lodge?
5. What was the name of the NAACP's magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
2. What affect did WWI have on Blacks?
3. What two developments changed the image of Black women following WWI?
4. What was the Negro Congress and the Southern Negro Youth Congress able to settle in regard to the strike between Black women and the I.N. Vaughn Company?
5. What did the suffrage campaign represent for Black women?
6. What was Madame Walker known for?
7. In the South, what did racial antipathy do?
8. What preparations did Lugenia Burns Hope make for the CIC meeting in Memphis?
9. What happened to the Daytona School for Girls between 1915 and 1927?
10. What did the radical atmosphere of the 1920's make possible for Blacks to initiate in the political arena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wartime for Black women was a very difficult period. Discuss the added problems that Black women faced during wartime. How did war change how Black women were seen by society? What changes did Black women make in response to the wars? What affect did war have on the Black woman and her family?
Essay Topic 2
What impact did education have in the lives of Black women? Who were the key people involved in ensuring education for Black women was available? What did proper and higher education do for the advancement of Black women?
Essay Topic 3
What issues caused controversy among supporters and opponents of the The Fifteenth Amendment? Why were those issues relevant?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)