|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Black poet's work was entered into "The Congressional Record" by Senator Henry Lodge?
2. During the 1920s, what rate decreased?
3. What magazine, in January 1924, announced that it would "show in pictures as well as writing, Negro women who are unique, accomplished, beautiful, intelligent, industrious, talented, and successful"?
4. What did the chapter "A Search for Self" compare postwar America to?
5. In 1941, who was the Secretary of War that Bethune wrote to regarding the war department's failure to invite the NCNW to a meeting that was organizing women for the war effort?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1920, what did the YWCA go on record as advocating?
2. What questions were Blacks left with in the years following WWI?
3. Why did "Half-Century" in 1922 state that brown skin was more appealing?
4. What did Mary McLeod Bethune do at the age of 52 in 1927?
5. What did the radical atmosphere of the 1920's make possible for Blacks to initiate in the political arena?
6. What was the Negro Congress and the Southern Negro Youth Congress able to settle in regard to the strike between Black women and the I.N. Vaughn Company?
7. What accomplishments did the NACW have by 1916?
8. What affect did WWI have on Blacks?
9. What did the suffrage campaign represent for Black women?
10. In 1919, what unusual step did Senator Henry Cabot Lodge take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the Black women's clubs detailed in the book and describe:
1) its initial founding
2) the focus of the group
3) the progress the group made and
4) the opposition the group faced.
Essay Topic 2
What impact did education have in the lives of Black women? Who were the key people involved in ensuring education for Black women was available? What did proper and higher education do for the advancement of Black women?
Essay Topic 3
One major success story, the story of Madame Walker, was described in the book. What was the story of Madame Walker? Who was she? Where did her success stem from? What did her success spearhead for Black women?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)