|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first theatrical production to feature attractively costumed, glamorous Black women?
2. In 1941, who was the Secretary of War that Bethune wrote to regarding the war department's failure to invite the NCNW to a meeting that was organizing women for the war effort?
3. What cigar company found itself in the middle of a strike in 1917 in Norfolk, Virginia?
4. How much did the cost of living rise from 1914 to 1918?
5. In 1945, what percent of the American workforce was women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns did interracial cooperation in the workplace world bring about?
2. In 1920, what did the YWCA go on record as advocating?
3. In the South, what did racial antipathy do?
4. What did the suffrage campaign represent for Black women?
5. In 1919, what unusual step did Senator Henry Cabot Lodge take?
6. What questions were Blacks left with in the years following WWI?
7. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
8. How did Mary McLeod Bethune finance the Daytona School for Girls?
9. Why did the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt not give Black leaders any reason to celebrate?
10. What were the ratio differences between young Black women and young White women over the age of fourteen working?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part two of the book was dedicated to the "new negro" woman. Discuss in detail who the "new negro" was. Why did she have to change? What steps were required for her to become a new woman? What problems did she face as she redefined who she was?
Essay Topic 2
One major success story, the story of Madame Walker, was described in the book. What was the story of Madame Walker? Who was she? Where did her success stem from? What did her success spearhead for Black women?
Essay Topic 3
The book gives many different descriptions regarding Black women throughout history. Discuss the different social descriptions, the change of how society looked at Black women, and how they were able to help change the way that society looked at them.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)