|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many brothers and sister did Mary McLeod Bethune have?
2. In what year was the Federal Employment Practices Commission established?
3. In 1917, Ida Wells-Barnett held a memorial service for how many Black soldiers (hung in accusation for shooting Whites)?
4. Who was the YWCA's first Black secretary?
5. What show featured Black women singing arias from "Faust," "Rigoletto," and other operas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the radical atmosphere of the 1920's make possible for Blacks to initiate in the political arena?
2. What two developments changed the image of Black women following WWI?
3. According to Virginia Durr, what were the two ways that the Depression affected people?
4. Describe the KKK between 1915 and 1919.
5. What were the ratio differences between young Black women and young White women over the age of fourteen working?
6. What allowed Eleanor Roosevelt to fully overcome her racial prejudice?
7. What was Madame Walker known for?
8. In 1920, what did the YWCA go on record as advocating?
9. What affect did WWI have on Blacks?
10. How did Mary McLeod Bethune finance the Daytona School for Girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part one of the book was dedicated to Black women "inventing themselves." Discuss in detail the steps that Black women needed to take to invent themselves.
Essay Topic 2
What opposition did Black women face in regard to the men of their own race and culture? Where did these issues arise from? How were the issues solved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of Black female slaves from setting foot on American soil until slavery was abolished?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)