|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Council for Interracial Cooperation founded?
2. What mission in New York, helped women get job-placement, job training, and offered Afro-American history courses?
3. Prior to the United States entering into WWII, what percent of school systems refused to hire married women?
4. What year's census showed that "all women employed in manufacturing and mechanical industries were Black"?
5. In 1917, Ida Wells-Barnett held a memorial service for how many Black soldiers (hung in accusation for shooting Whites)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Federal Emergency Relief Administration of the Department of Labor make life harder for Blacks during the Depression?
2. In 1920, what did the YWCA go on record as advocating?
3. What did Mary McLeod Bethune do at the age of 52 in 1927?
4. Why did "Half-Century" in 1922 state that brown skin was more appealing?
5. What initially was to happen to the monies granted for slum clearance in Daytona Beach?
6. What did the radical atmosphere of the 1920's make possible for Blacks to initiate in the political arena?
7. What was Madame Walker known for?
8. What caused a dramatic shift in the role of the woman in the work force in 1941?
9. What desire did Mary McLeod Bethune have after leaving Presbyterian Mission School?
10. What affect did WWI have on Blacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Black women impact the issues associated with race? What did they initiate? What progress were they responsible for?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the power that Black women possessed throughout their fight for equal rights.
-Where did their power come from?
-How did they find their strength?
-What caused Black women to fight for their rights?
Essay Topic 3
What opposition did Black women face in regard to the men of their own race and culture? Where did these issues arise from? How were the issues solved?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)