|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mission in New York, helped women get job-placement, job training, and offered Afro-American history courses?
2. What state law covered under federal legislation, declared that one spouse must resign if the other was gainfully employed?
3. During the 1920s, what rate shot up?
4. What was Mary McLeod Bethune riding aboard in 1927?
5. Whom did critics in 1900 state was the author of "the most powerful protest novel . . . with the exception of Ann Perry"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt not give Black leaders any reason to celebrate?
2. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
3. What preparations did Lugenia Burns Hope make for the CIC meeting in Memphis?
4. Describe the KKK between 1915 and 1919.
5. What caused a dramatic shift in the role of the woman in the work force in 1941?
6. What was Madame Walker known for?
7. What affect did WWI have on Blacks?
8. What desire did Mary McLeod Bethune have after leaving Presbyterian Mission School?
9. What did the suffrage campaign represent for Black women?
10. In 1919, what unusual step did Senator Henry Cabot Lodge take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the problems that Black women faced in regard to the establishment of Black feminist groups. What problems did black women face in regard to opposition from white men and women and from black men?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the power that Black women possessed throughout their fight for equal rights.
-Where did their power come from?
-How did they find their strength?
-What caused Black women to fight for their rights?
Essay Topic 3
What impact did education have in the lives of Black women? Who were the key people involved in ensuring education for Black women was available? What did proper and higher education do for the advancement of Black women?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)