|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people, out of the 139 named, were of mixed heritage in W.E.B. Du Bois' "Who's Who of Colored Americans"?
2. America was the ___________ nation to enfranchise women.
3. At which bible institute did Mary McLeod Bethune study?
4. What year's census showed that "all women employed in manufacturing and mechanical industries were Black"?
5. In 1917, Ida Wells-Barnett held a memorial service for how many Black soldiers (hung in accusation for shooting Whites)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Negro Congress and the Southern Negro Youth Congress able to settle in regard to the strike between Black women and the I.N. Vaughn Company?
2. What two developments changed the image of Black women following WWI?
3. What happened to the Daytona School for Girls between 1915 and 1927?
4. What caused a dramatic shift in the role of the woman in the work force in 1941?
5. In 1919, what unusual step did Senator Henry Cabot Lodge take?
6. What initially was to happen to the monies granted for slum clearance in Daytona Beach?
7. How did Mary McLeod Bethune finance the Daytona School for Girls?
8. What affect did WWI have on Blacks?
9. Describe the KKK between 1915 and 1919.
10. What were the ratio differences between young Black women and young White women over the age of fourteen working?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wartime for Black women was a very difficult period. Discuss the added problems that Black women faced during wartime. How did war change how Black women were seen by society? What changes did Black women make in response to the wars? What affect did war have on the Black woman and her family?
Essay Topic 2
Part two of the book was dedicated to the "new negro" woman. Discuss in detail who the "new negro" was. Why did she have to change? What steps were required for her to become a new woman? What problems did she face as she redefined who she was?
Essay Topic 3
What impact did education have in the lives of Black women? Who were the key people involved in ensuring education for Black women was available? What did proper and higher education do for the advancement of Black women?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)