|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lucy C. Laney graduate from?
2. Who became the first Black Alderman of Chicago?
3. What was the name of the first Black novel published in America? (1861)
4. According to the chapter "To be a Woman Sublime," what was judged by where a woman wanted to go rather than by where she was?
5. Who was committed to Dr. S. Wier Mitchell's Hospital of Orthopedic and Nervous Diseases because of her inability to withstand the stresses of being educated and financially sound and having to care for ailing members of her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the radical atmosphere of the 1920's make possible for Blacks to initiate in the political arena?
2. What change did the Susan B. Anthony Amendment face in regard to the Jones Amendment?
3. What preparations did Lugenia Burns Hope make for the CIC meeting in Memphis?
4. What was the Negro Congress and the Southern Negro Youth Congress able to settle in regard to the strike between Black women and the I.N. Vaughn Company?
5. What accomplishments did the NACW have by 1916?
6. According to Virginia Durr, what were the two ways that the Depression affected people?
7. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
8. What caused a dramatic shift in the role of the woman in the work force in 1941?
9. What did Ida B. Wells read in a paper after attending a meeting in Washington, D.C. to speak before Black women activists?
10. What headlines ran on Christmas Day in 1884 in the "Daily Appeal"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did mainstream society depict Black women in media? What issues did Black women have with these depictions? What did Black women do to change these media representations?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the power that Black women possessed throughout their fight for equal rights.
-Where did their power come from?
-How did they find their strength?
-What caused Black women to fight for their rights?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the problems that Black women faced in regard to the establishment of Black feminist groups. What problems did black women face in regard to opposition from white men and women and from black men?
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)