Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Darwin's "Origin of Species" published?
2. According to an article in "The Independent," as referenced by the text in the chapter "Defending Our Name," what did White women prefer to happen to "keep their husbands straight"?
3. Who, according to a law passed by the House of Burgesses, had to give female slaves permission before they could marry?
4. What, by order of the House of Burgesses, were masters of slaves able to do to their servants?
5. What punishment did Maria receive for attempting to burn down her master's home in Massachusetts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
2. What preparations did Lugenia Burns Hope make for the CIC meeting in Memphis?
3. What initially was to happen to the monies granted for slum clearance in Daytona Beach?
4. What questions were Blacks left with in the years following WWI?
5. Why did the Moynihan Report claim that the Black male was humiliated?
6. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
7. In the South, what did racial antipathy do?
8. What caused a dramatic shift in the role of the woman in the work force in 1941?
9. What did Robert Purvis say about the equality of sexes?
10. What contradictions did Black women face when it came to supporting Booker T. Washington?
Discuss in detail the problems that Black women faced in regard to the establishment of Black feminist groups. What problems did black women face in regard to opposition from white men and women and from black men?
Discuss the treatment of Black female slaves from setting foot on American soil until slavery was abolished?
Black men were the focus in many parts throughout the book. Discuss in detail the issues that Black men had with the progression of Black women in America.
-Where did their (Black men) issues arise from?
-Why did Black men not support Black women?
-How were the issues that Black men faced different from the issues that Black women faced?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)