|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was established for the purpose of invalid girls to go and help the poor?
2. Who, in 1867, spoke against the Fifteenth Amendment before the AERA?
3. According to the chapter "Defending Our Name" what did Black women have to confront and redefine?
4. How many Black women were registered to vote in New York, where their vote successfully brought about the delegation of Gertrude Curtis and Laura Fisher to the Republican Convention?
5. What did Lottie Wilson Jackson not want Black women to be compelled to ride in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage" state that women's suffrage was important?
2. What were the differences between the Black and White women's organizations?
3. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
4. What did the end of the chapter "Prelude to a Movement" state were the problems that educated Black women faced?
5. How did Mary Ann Shadd Cary prove that she, as a Black woman, should have the right to vote?
6. Although written to discuss the animal world, Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species" was consequently paralleled to human society. How was this explained?
7. Why was the Black family under siege between 1890 and 1910?
8. Describe the two sides regarding the Fifteenth Amendment.
9. Why did the chapter "Defending Our Name" state that Ida B. Wells should have been pleased?
10. What headlines ran on Christmas Day in 1884 in the "Daily Appeal"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of Black female slaves from setting foot on American soil until slavery was abolished?
Essay Topic 2
How did interracial cooperation affect the equality movement? What problems were found to lie within interracial cooperation? What problems did interracial cooperation solve?
Essay Topic 3
Part one of the book was dedicated to Black women "inventing themselves." Discuss in detail the steps that Black women needed to take to invent themselves.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)