|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mary Church Terrell when she learned of the lynching of the grocer?
2. What club was organized by Ida Wells-Barnett in 1913.
3. What was the name of the largest Black sorority in 1908?
4. Who was the leading suffragist of the Tuskegee Woman's Club (as denoted in the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage")?
5. According to the Chapter "Defending Our Name," what city in 1893 exported more cotton than any other city in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Thomas Moss's final words before he was lynched in Tennessee?
2. How did Mary Ann Shadd Cary prove that she, as a Black woman, should have the right to vote?
3. What was the purpose of the World Colombian Exposition of 1893?
4. What law did Virginia pass in regard to children born to Black female slaves and their masters?
5. Describe the two sides regarding the Fifteenth Amendment.
6. Why did the chapter "Defending Our Name" state that Ida B. Wells should have been pleased?
7. Ultimately, why was Thomas Moss lynched?
8. What was the goal of the CWPA?
9. Why was the Black family under siege between 1890 and 1910?
10. What happened as a result of Ida B. Wellss' British tour?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book gives many different descriptions regarding Black women throughout history. Discuss the different social descriptions, the change of how society looked at Black women, and how they were able to help change the way that society looked at them.
Essay Topic 2
How did interracial cooperation affect the equality movement? What problems were found to lie within interracial cooperation? What problems did interracial cooperation solve?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the Black women's clubs detailed in the book and describe:
1) its initial founding
2) the focus of the group
3) the progress the group made and
4) the opposition the group faced.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)