Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Darwin's "Origin of Species" published?
2. According to an article in "The Independent," as referenced by the text in the chapter "Defending Our Name," what did White women prefer to happen to "keep their husbands straight"?
3. Who, according to a law passed by the House of Burgesses, had to give female slaves permission before they could marry?
4. What, by order of the House of Burgesses, were masters of slaves able to do to their servants?
5. What punishment did Maria receive for attempting to burn down her master's home in Massachusetts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
2. What preparations did Lugenia Burns Hope make for the CIC meeting in Memphis?
3. What initially was to happen to the monies granted for slum clearance in Daytona Beach?
4. What questions were Blacks left with in the years following WWI?
5. Why did the Moynihan Report claim that the Black male was humiliated?
6. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
7. In the South, what did racial antipathy do?
8. What caused a dramatic shift in the role of the woman in the work force in 1941?
9. What did Robert Purvis say about the equality of sexes?
10. What contradictions did Black women face when it came to supporting Booker T. Washington?
Essay Topic 1
How did interracial cooperation affect the equality movement? What problems were found to lie within interracial cooperation? What problems did interracial cooperation solve?
Essay Topic 2
Wartime for Black women was a very difficult period. Discuss the added problems that Black women faced during wartime. How did war change how Black women were seen by society? What changes did Black women make in response to the wars? What affect did war have on the Black woman and her family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the power that Black women possessed throughout their fight for equal rights.
-Where did their power come from?
-How did they find their strength?
-What caused Black women to fight for their rights?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)