|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Voice of the South"?
2. Who, in the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage," was quoted as saying "divine law makes no distinction between the sexes"?
3. In what city did Black washerwomen announce that they were going to charge a standard rate for their work? (1866)
4. How many Whites were shot on the Saturday night raid on the local Black grocery?
5. What club was organized by Ida Wells-Barnett in 1913.
Short Essay Questions
1. In the South, what did racial antipathy do?
2. Describe the KKK between 1915 and 1919.
3. What were the ratio differences between young Black women and young White women over the age of fourteen working?
4. What did Ida B. Wells read in a paper after attending a meeting in Washington, D.C. to speak before Black women activists?
5. How did the Federal Emergency Relief Administration of the Department of Labor make life harder for Blacks during the Depression?
6. What change did the Susan B. Anthony Amendment face in regard to the Jones Amendment?
7. Why did the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt not give Black leaders any reason to celebrate?
8. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
9. What headlines ran on Christmas Day in 1884 in the "Daily Appeal"?
10. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of Black female slaves from setting foot on American soil until slavery was abolished?
Essay Topic 2
Black men were the focus in many parts throughout the book. Discuss in detail the issues that Black men had with the progression of Black women in America.
-Where did their (Black men) issues arise from?
-Why did Black men not support Black women?
-How were the issues that Black men faced different from the issues that Black women faced?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the power that Black women possessed throughout their fight for equal rights.
-Where did their power come from?
-How did they find their strength?
-What caused Black women to fight for their rights?
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)