|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the largest Black sorority in 1908?
2. How many Black women were registered to vote in New York, where their vote successfully brought about the delegation of Gertrude Curtis and Laura Fisher to the Republican Convention?
3. How much money did the CWL successfully lobby to establish kindergarten classes in 1898?
4. Who was by law ordered to be whipped for laying with a negro in 1630?
5. What was established for the purpose of invalid girls to go and help the poor?
Short Essay Questions
1. After emancipation, what did both Black men and women escape from? (Not in regard to slavery itself.)
2. What did Robert Purvis say about the equality of sexes?
3. What caused Mary Church Terrell to plunge head-first into a life of vibrant activism?
4. What were Thomas Moss's final words before he was lynched in Tennessee?
5. At a women's rights meeting in Akron, Ohio, what was Sojourner Truth's message?
6. What did Ida B. Wells read in a paper after attending a meeting in Washington, D.C. to speak before Black women activists?
7. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
8. What were the differences between the Black and White women's organizations?
9. Why did the chapter "Defending Our Name" state that Ida B. Wells should have been pleased?
10. Ultimately, why was Thomas Moss lynched?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the power that Black women possessed throughout their fight for equal rights.
-Where did their power come from?
-How did they find their strength?
-What caused Black women to fight for their rights?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the problems that Black women faced in regard to the establishment of Black feminist groups. What problems did black women face in regard to opposition from white men and women and from black men?
Essay Topic 3
What opposition did Black women face in regard to the men of their own race and culture? Where did these issues arise from? How were the issues solved?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)