|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ida B. Wells-Barnett claim robbed women of one of the most glorious advantages?
2. Who, according to the chapter "To be a Woman Sublime," was the wealthiest and best educated Black woman of the time?
3. What was the motto of the NACW?
4. Who was committed to Dr. S. Wier Mitchell's Hospital of Orthopedic and Nervous Diseases because of her inability to withstand the stresses of being educated and financially sound and having to care for ailing members of her family?
5. Whom did Anna Julia Cooper state was the "finest woman I have ever known"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What law did Virginia pass in regard to children born to Black female slaves and their masters?
2. What happened as a result of Ida B. Wellss' British tour?
3. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
4. Why did the chapter "Defending Our Name" state that Ida B. Wells should have been pleased?
5. Why did many of the Baptist clergy state that the only place for women was in the church singing?
6. What did the end of the chapter "Prelude to a Movement" state were the problems that educated Black women faced?
7. Describe the two sides regarding the Fifteenth Amendment.
8. What did Ida B. Wells read in a paper after attending a meeting in Washington, D.C. to speak before Black women activists?
9. What did Robert Purvis say about the equality of sexes?
10. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Black women impact the issues associated with race? What did they initiate? What progress were they responsible for?
Essay Topic 2
What impact did education have in the lives of Black women? Who were the key people involved in ensuring education for Black women was available? What did proper and higher education do for the advancement of Black women?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Ida B. Wells is discussed in great detail. Discuss Well's accomplishments throughout her time as an activist.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)