|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Mary Church Terrell living when she heard the news of the grocer's lynching?
2. What happened to the Gross National Product between 1869 and 1899?
3. What novel spoke to the desire of slave women to become the mistress of their masters?
4. How many Black women were registered to vote in New York, where their vote successfully brought about the delegation of Gertrude Curtis and Laura Fisher to the Republican Convention?
5. Whom did the Fifteenth Amendment permit the right to vote to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ida B. Wells read in a paper after attending a meeting in Washington, D.C. to speak before Black women activists?
2. Although written to discuss the animal world, Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species" was consequently paralleled to human society. How was this explained?
3. What was the purpose of the World Colombian Exposition of 1893?
4. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
5. What happened as a result of Ida B. Wellss' British tour?
6. What headlines ran on Christmas Day in 1884 in the "Daily Appeal"?
7. What were the differences between the Black and White women's organizations?
8. Why was the Black family under siege between 1890 and 1910?
9. Ultimately, why was Thomas Moss lynched?
10. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What issues caused controversy among supporters and opponents of the The Fifteenth Amendment? Why were those issues relevant?
Essay Topic 2
Part two of the book was dedicated to the "new negro" woman. Discuss in detail who the "new negro" was. Why did she have to change? What steps were required for her to become a new woman? What problems did she face as she redefined who she was?
Essay Topic 3
What impact did education have in the lives of Black women? Who were the key people involved in ensuring education for Black women was available? What did proper and higher education do for the advancement of Black women?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)