|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter "To Be a Woman Sublime," according to Francis Ellen Harper the nineteenth century is discovering what?
2. Who wrote the poem "Deliverance"?
3. What was the name of the first Black child born in America?
4. Whose philosophy did schools need to use in order to insure funding for Black schools?
5. What did Robert Church own, eventually being ransacked in 1866?
Short Essay Questions
1. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
2. How did Representative Clark of Florida (1915) prefer to look at women?
3. Why did the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage" state that women's suffrage was important?
4. What were Thomas Moss's final words before he was lynched in Tennessee?
5. Although written to discuss the animal world, Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species" was consequently paralleled to human society. How was this explained?
6. Why did many of the Baptist clergy state that the only place for women was in the church singing?
7. At a women's rights meeting in Akron, Ohio, what was Sojourner Truth's message?
8. What was the purpose of the World Colombian Exposition of 1893?
9. What law did Virginia pass in regard to children born to Black female slaves and their masters?
10. After emancipation, what did both Black men and women escape from? (Not in regard to slavery itself.)
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What opposition did Black women face in regard to the men of their own race and culture? Where did these issues arise from? How were the issues solved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the problems that Black women faced prior to the creation of laws that bettered treatment of slaves.
Essay Topic 3
What impact did education have in the lives of Black women? Who were the key people involved in ensuring education for Black women was available? What did proper and higher education do for the advancement of Black women?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)