|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the slave in 1741 that attempted to burn down the entire settlement of Charleston, Massachusetts?
2. Who, according to W.E.B. Du Bois, could you not bribe?
3. What, by order of the House of Burgesses, were masters of slaves able to do to their servants?
4. Who, according to a law passed by the House of Burgesses, had to give female slaves permission before they could marry?
5. How many lynchings occurred in 1892?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the chapter "Casting of the Die," how did English slave traders describe Black women?
2. What was the purpose of the World Colombian Exposition of 1893?
3. How did Mary Ann Shadd Cary prove that she, as a Black woman, should have the right to vote?
4. What was the goal of the CWPA?
5. How did Representative Clark of Florida (1915) prefer to look at women?
6. What happened as a result of Ida B. Wellss' British tour?
7. What commonalities did Black and White women's organizations have?
8. What opinion did "The Woman's Era" (1894) offer regarding the traditional roles of women?
9. What headlines ran on Christmas Day in 1884 in the "Daily Appeal"?
10. What were Thomas Moss's final words before he was lynched in Tennessee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the power that Black women possessed throughout their fight for equal rights.
-Where did their power come from?
-How did they find their strength?
-What caused Black women to fight for their rights?
Essay Topic 2
Part one of the book was dedicated to Black women "inventing themselves." Discuss in detail the steps that Black women needed to take to invent themselves.
Essay Topic 3
What opposition did Black women face in regard to the men of their own race and culture? Where did these issues arise from? How were the issues solved?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)