|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What club was organized by Ida Wells-Barnett in 1913.
2. According to the chapter "To be a Woman Sublime," what was judged by where a woman wanted to go rather than by where she was?
3. Who became the first Black Alderman of Chicago?
4. What was the name of the slave in 1741 that attempted to burn down the entire settlement of Charleston, Massachusetts?
5. Where was Mary Church Terrell living when she heard the news of the grocer's lynching?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although written to discuss the animal world, Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species" was consequently paralleled to human society. How was this explained?
2. Why was the Black family under siege between 1890 and 1910?
3. What headlines ran on Christmas Day in 1884 in the "Daily Appeal"?
4. At a women's rights meeting in Akron, Ohio, what was Sojourner Truth's message?
5. After emancipation, what did both Black men and women escape from? (Not in regard to slavery itself.)
6. Why did many of the Baptist clergy state that the only place for women was in the church singing?
7. Describe the two sides regarding the Fifteenth Amendment.
8. What did Ida B. Wells read in a paper after attending a meeting in Washington, D.C. to speak before Black women activists?
9. What was the purpose of the World Colombian Exposition of 1893?
10. What caused Mary Church Terrell to plunge head-first into a life of vibrant activism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wartime for Black women was a very difficult period. Discuss the added problems that Black women faced during wartime. How did war change how Black women were seen by society? What changes did Black women make in response to the wars? What affect did war have on the Black woman and her family?
Essay Topic 2
How did Black women impact the issues associated with race? What did they initiate? What progress were they responsible for?
Essay Topic 3
Part one of the book was dedicated to Black women "inventing themselves." Discuss in detail the steps that Black women needed to take to invent themselves.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)