|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the leading suffragist of the Tuskegee Woman's Club (as denoted in the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage")?
2. According to the chapter "Defending Our Name," who "stole the show" at the founding meeting of the uniting of the National Federation of Afro-American Women and the National Association of Colored Women?
3. Who, in the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage," was quoted as saying "divine law makes no distinction between the sexes"?
4. Who were servant women sold to if they were found guilty of bearing a child of her master's in Virginia?
5. Who, in 1609, was sold to a group of Native Americans by Captain John Smith?
Short Essay Questions
1. At a women's rights meeting in Akron, Ohio, what was Sojourner Truth's message?
2. Why did the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage" state that women's suffrage was important?
3. After emancipation, what did both Black men and women escape from? (Not in regard to slavery itself.)
4. What contradictions did Black women face when it came to supporting Booker T. Washington?
5. Ultimately, why was Thomas Moss lynched?
6. What opinion did "The Woman's Era" (1894) offer regarding the traditional roles of women?
7. How did Representative Clark of Florida (1915) prefer to look at women?
8. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
9. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
10. Why was the Black family under siege between 1890 and 1910?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of Black female slaves from setting foot on American soil until slavery was abolished?
Essay Topic 2
How did mainstream society depict Black women in media? What issues did Black women have with these depictions? What did Black women do to change these media representations?
Essay Topic 3
What opposition did Black women face in regard to the men of their own race and culture? Where did these issues arise from? How were the issues solved?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)