|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, in the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage," was quoted as saying "divine law makes no distinction between the sexes"?
2. What city did the lynching occur at the opening of the book?
3. What did the chapter, "To Be A Woman Sublime" state to be a watershed in the history of Black women?
4. What club was organized by Ida Wells-Barnett in 1913.
5. Whom did Anna Julia Cooper state was the "finest woman I have ever known"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the World Colombian Exposition of 1893?
2. What happened as a result of Ida B. Wellss' British tour?
3. Why did the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage" state that women's suffrage was important?
4. Why did the chapter "Defending Our Name" state that Ida B. Wells should have been pleased?
5. Describe the two sides regarding the Fifteenth Amendment.
6. What opinion did "The Woman's Era" (1894) offer regarding the traditional roles of women?
7. At a women's rights meeting in Akron, Ohio, what was Sojourner Truth's message?
8. What were the differences between the Black and White women's organizations?
9. What law did Virginia pass in regard to children born to Black female slaves and their masters?
10. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did mainstream society depict Black women in media? What issues did Black women have with these depictions? What did Black women do to change these media representations?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the power that Black women possessed throughout their fight for equal rights.
-Where did their power come from?
-How did they find their strength?
-What caused Black women to fight for their rights?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the Black women's clubs detailed in the book and describe:
1) its initial founding
2) the focus of the group
3) the progress the group made and
4) the opposition the group faced.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)