|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dr. Cesare Lombroso publish in 1876?
2. According to Virginia law, if a Christian was found to "commit fornication" with a Negro man or woman, how would his fines multiply?
3. Who, in 1609, was sold to a group of Native Americans by Captain John Smith?
4. Whom did the Fifteenth Amendment permit the right to vote to?
5. Who, according to W.E.B. Du Bois, could you not bribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What law did Virginia pass in regard to children born to Black female slaves and their masters?
2. How did Mary Ann Shadd Cary prove that she, as a Black woman, should have the right to vote?
3. What were the differences between the Black and White women's organizations?
4. Why did many of the Baptist clergy state that the only place for women was in the church singing?
5. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
6. Why did the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage" state that women's suffrage was important?
7. How did Representative Clark of Florida (1915) prefer to look at women?
8. Ultimately, why was Thomas Moss lynched?
9. What commonalities did Black and White women's organizations have?
10. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Ida B. Wells is discussed in great detail. Discuss Well's accomplishments throughout her time as an activist.
Essay Topic 2
Wartime for Black women was a very difficult period. Discuss the added problems that Black women faced during wartime. How did war change how Black women were seen by society? What changes did Black women make in response to the wars? What affect did war have on the Black woman and her family?
Essay Topic 3
How did Black women impact the issues associated with race? What did they initiate? What progress were they responsible for?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)