|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to W.E.B. Du Bois, could you not bribe?
2. According to the chapter "To be a Woman Sublime," what was judged by where a woman wanted to go rather than by where she was?
3. What nation's exhibit did Frederick Douglass preside over at the exposition of 1893?
4. What did Ida B. Wells-Barnett claim robbed women of one of the most glorious advantages?
5. Who became dean of Howard University, was a founding member of the NAACP, and opposed women's suffrage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contradictions did Black women face when it came to supporting Booker T. Washington?
2. What were Thomas Moss's final words before he was lynched in Tennessee?
3. What were the ratio differences between young Black women and young White women over the age of fourteen working?
4. What opinion did "The Woman's Era" (1894) offer regarding the traditional roles of women?
5. Describe the KKK between 1915 and 1919.
6. What affect did WWI have on Blacks?
7. According to Virginia Durr, what were the two ways that the Depression affected people?
8. What headlines ran on Christmas Day in 1884 in the "Daily Appeal"?
9. What was Madame Walker known for?
10. What did the radical atmosphere of the 1920's make possible for Blacks to initiate in the political arena?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the Black women's clubs detailed in the book and describe:
1) its initial founding
2) the focus of the group
3) the progress the group made and
4) the opposition the group faced.
Essay Topic 2
How did Black women impact the issues associated with race? What did they initiate? What progress were they responsible for?
Essay Topic 3
What opposition did Black women face in regard to the men of their own race and culture? Where did these issues arise from? How were the issues solved?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)