|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1917, Ida Wells-Barnett held a memorial service for how many Black soldiers (hung in accusation for shooting Whites)?
2. What school did the Daytona School for Girls merge with?
(a) Du Bois' Boys Institute.
(b) Cookman Institute.
(c) Washington Institute.
(d) Frankman's Boys School.
3. What site did Bethune put a down-payment on to start a school?
(a) A former slave auction site.
(b) A former jail-house.
(c) A former cotton plantation.
(d) A former garbage-dump site.
4. Between 1915 and 1920, how many Blacks "heeded its (the North's) call" because of the southern exploitation they faced regarding labor.
5. Who was the YWCA's first Black secretary?
(a) Eva Bowles.
(b) Sandra Bruns.
(c) Theresa Singer.
(d) Madra Biship.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Anti-Lynching Crusaders organized?
2. How many, counting Mary McLeod Bethune, of her siblings were able to attend school?
3. Who was the first White woman named as executive director of the CIC?
4. By the end of 1935, how many northern cities had over 100,000 African-Americans in population?
5. What poet did Bethune hire as an assistant for her position as the Negro Affairs director?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mary McLeod Bethune finance the Daytona School for Girls?
2. What caused a dramatic shift in the role of the woman in the work force in 1941?
3. What preparations did Lugenia Burns Hope make for the CIC meeting in Memphis?
4. How did the Federal Emergency Relief Administration of the Department of Labor make life harder for Blacks during the Depression?
5. What desire did Mary McLeod Bethune have after leaving Presbyterian Mission School?
6. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
7. Why did "Half-Century" in 1922 state that brown skin was more appealing?
8. According to Virginia Durr, what were the two ways that the Depression affected people?
9. What was Madame Walker known for?
10. What initially was to happen to the monies granted for slum clearance in Daytona Beach?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)