|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What President's wife, in 1934, began taking an active stand on racial issues?
(a) Lou Hoover.
(b) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(c) Bess Truman.
(d) Mamie Eisenhower.
2. How many Black judges were "in the system" in New York City?
3. In what year was the Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education Supreme Court case argued?
4. Who ran unsuccessfully for president of the NACW in 1924?
(a) Sojourner Truth.
(b) Mary McLeod Bethune.
(c) Mary Church Terrell.
(d) Ida Well-Barnett.
5. During the 1920s, what rate shot up?
(a) Birth rate.
(b) Marriage rate.
(c) Suicide rate.
(d) Divorce rate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first Black woman named to the federal bench and also became the Manhattan Borough President in 1954?
2. What poet did Bethune hire as an assistant for her position as the Negro Affairs director?
3. Who was quoted at the opening of the chapter "The Second World War and After"?
4. Who was the first Black woman elected to the YWCA's national board in 1924?
5. In what year was the Federal Employment Practices Commission established?
Short Essay Questions
1. What desire did Mary McLeod Bethune have after leaving Presbyterian Mission School?
2. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
3. What happened to the Daytona School for Girls between 1915 and 1927?
4. What were the ratio differences between young Black women and young White women over the age of fourteen working?
5. What accomplishments did the NACW have by 1916?
6. What did the suffrage campaign represent for Black women?
7. How did the Federal Emergency Relief Administration of the Department of Labor make life harder for Blacks during the Depression?
8. What preparations did Lugenia Burns Hope make for the CIC meeting in Memphis?
9. According to Virginia Durr, what were the two ways that the Depression affected people?
10. What caused a dramatic shift in the role of the woman in the work force in 1941?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)