|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Darwin's "Origin of Species" published?
2. According to an article in "The Independent," as referenced by the text in the chapter "Defending Our Name," what did White women prefer to happen to "keep their husbands straight"?
(a) That "their husbands do wrong with colored women."
(b) That "the bastard children of their husbands were killed."
(c) That "slaves were always on the verge of hostility."
(d) That "they find suitable White mistresses to ensure pure blood."
3. Who, according to a law passed by the House of Burgesses, had to give female slaves permission before they could marry?
(a) Their master.
(b) The local government.
(c) The slave-master of the premises.
(d) The federal government.
4. What, by order of the House of Burgesses, were masters of slaves able to do to their servants?
(a) Whip them.
(b) Have intercourse with them.
(c) Starve them.
(d) Hang them.
5. What punishment did Maria receive for attempting to burn down her master's home in Massachusetts?
(a) Sale to a tobacco farm.
(c) Burned at the stake.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Virginia law, if a Christian was found to "commit fornication" with a Negro man or woman, how would his fines multiply?
2. Who, at an 1869 convention, spoke in support of the Fifteenth Amendment?
3. What city did the lynching occur at the opening of the book?
4. What happened to the Gross National Product between 1869 and 1899?
5. In 1913, what group organized a march in Washington, D.C. for the day before Woodrow Wilson's inauguration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
2. What preparations did Lugenia Burns Hope make for the CIC meeting in Memphis?
3. What initially was to happen to the monies granted for slum clearance in Daytona Beach?
4. What questions were Blacks left with in the years following WWI?
5. Why did the Moynihan Report claim that the Black male was humiliated?
6. Why did the chapter "Cusp of a New Era" state that Black club women's achievements were most satisfying?
7. In the South, what did racial antipathy do?
8. What caused a dramatic shift in the role of the woman in the work force in 1941?
9. What did Robert Purvis say about the equality of sexes?
10. What contradictions did Black women face when it came to supporting Booker T. Washington?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)