|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was known as the "Uncrowned Queen of American Democracy"?
(a) Ida B. Wells.
(b) Lady Somerset.
(c) Frances Willard.
(d) Sojourner Truth.
2. What did Ida B. Wells-Barnett claim robbed women of one of the most glorious advantages?
(a) Bowing to White power.
(b) Marrying poor.
(c) Ignoring their culture.
(d) Not having children.
3. What was the name of the slave in 1741 that attempted to burn down the entire settlement of Charleston, Massachusetts?
4. What was the name of the first Black child born in America?
(a) Baby Douglass.
(b) Baby Anthoney.
(c) Baby Wells.
(d) Baby Williams.
5. What punishment did Maria receive for attempting to burn down her master's home in Massachusetts?
(b) Burned at the stake.
(c) Sale to a tobacco farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lynchings occurred in 1892?
2. What did Ida B. Wells claim "should have a place of honor in every home"?
3. When did the first African men and women come to Virginia?
4. According to the Chapter "Defending Our Name," what city in 1893 exported more cotton than any other city in America?
5. Who, at an 1869 convention, spoke in support of the Fifteenth Amendment?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the chapter "Casting of the Die," how did English slave traders describe Black women?
2. Why did many of the Baptist clergy state that the only place for women was in the church singing?
3. How did Representative Clark of Florida (1915) prefer to look at women?
4. Why did the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage" state that women's suffrage was important?
5. What caused Mary Church Terrell to plunge head-first into a life of vibrant activism?
6. What opinion did "The Woman's Era" (1894) offer regarding the traditional roles of women?
7. After emancipation, what did both Black men and women escape from? (Not in regard to slavery itself.)
8. What did Robert Purvis say about the equality of sexes?
9. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
10. How did Mary Ann Shadd Cary prove that she, as a Black woman, should have the right to vote?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)