|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ida B. Wells claim "should have a place of honor in every home"?
(a) Freedom papers.
(b) A Winchester rifle.
(c) The man of the household.
(d) A deed to the home.
2. What novel spoke to the desire of slave women to become the mistress of their masters?
(a) "Desires of the American Slave."
(b) "The Negro Family."
(c) "A Need for More."
(d) "Conditions of the Negro in America."
3. What, by order of the House of Burgesses, were masters of slaves able to do to their servants?
(a) Have intercourse with them.
(b) Hang them.
(c) Whip them.
(d) Starve them.
4. What did the chapter, "To Be A Woman Sublime" state to be a watershed in the history of Black women?
(a) The NAACP.
(b) The organization of the AAWO.
(c) The organization of the NACW.
(d) The organization of th YWCA.
5. Where was Mary Church Terrell living when she heard the news of the grocer's lynching?
(a) New York City.
(c) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Darwin's "Origin of Species" published?
2. What happened to the Gross National Product between 1869 and 1899?
3. What was the name of the woman that taught former slaves in the 1860's in the South Carolina Sea Islands?
4. According to the chapter "Defending Our Name," who "stole the show" at the founding meeting of the uniting of the National Federation of Afro-American Women and the National Association of Colored Women?
5. How much money did the CWL successfully lobby to establish kindergarten classes in 1898?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened as a result of Ida B. Wellss' British tour?
2. What incident moved W.E.B. Du Bois to praise Black women for their courage?
3. What did the end of the chapter "Prelude to a Movement" state were the problems that educated Black women faced?
4. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
5. Why was the Black family under siege between 1890 and 1910?
6. How did Mary Ann Shadd Cary prove that she, as a Black woman, should have the right to vote?
7. After emancipation, what did both Black men and women escape from? (Not in regard to slavery itself.)
8. Why did many of the Baptist clergy state that the only place for women was in the church singing?
9. What was the purpose of the World Colombian Exposition of 1893?
10. What was the goal of the CWPA?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)