|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chapter "Defending Our Name," what city in 1893 exported more cotton than any other city in America?
2. Who wrote the poem "Deliverance"?
(a) Sojourner Truth.
(b) Francis Ellen Harper.
(c) Mary Church.
(d) Milly Green.
3. How many Black female lawyers were there coming into the 1880's?
4. What was the name of the first Black novel published in America? (1861)
(a) "Freedom RIngs."
(b) "A Story."
5. What did Lottie Wilson Jackson not want Black women to be compelled to ride in?
(a) "Colored cars."
(b) Luggage cars.
(c) Smoking cars.
(d) Third Class.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the first African men and women come to Virginia?
2. What did Ida B. Wells claim "should have a place of honor in every home"?
3. According to an article in "The Independent," as referenced by the text in the chapter "Defending Our Name," what did White women prefer to happen to "keep their husbands straight"?
4. Who wrote "Voice of the South"?
5. In 1895, who was the principal of the Tuskegee Institute?
Short Essay Questions
1. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
2. What opinion did "The Woman's Era" (1894) offer regarding the traditional roles of women?
3. What caused Mary Church Terrell to plunge head-first into a life of vibrant activism?
4. What were the differences between the Black and White women's organizations?
5. What happened as a result of Ida B. Wellss' British tour?
6. How did Mary Ann Shadd Cary prove that she, as a Black woman, should have the right to vote?
7. How did Representative Clark of Florida (1915) prefer to look at women?
8. Although written to discuss the animal world, Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species" was consequently paralleled to human society. How was this explained?
9. What law did Virginia pass in regard to children born to Black female slaves and their masters?
10. What contradictions did Black women face when it came to supporting Booker T. Washington?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)