|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was by law ordered to be whipped for laying with a negro in 1630?
(a) Frederick Salts.
(b) Richard Martin.
(c) Deacon Marks.
(d) Hugh Davis.
2. How many lynchings occurred in 1892?
3. Who, according to the chapter "To be a Woman Sublime," was the wealthiest and best educated Black woman of the time?
(a) Mary Church Terrell.
(b) Fannie Barrier Williams.
(c) Sojourner Truth.
(d) Ida B. Wells.
4. Whom did Anna Julia Cooper state was the "finest woman I have ever known"?
(a) Ida B. Wells.
(b) The slave master's wife.
(c) The slave whom acted as her mother.
(d) Her mother.
5. What punishment did Maria receive for attempting to burn down her master's home in Massachusetts?
(b) Burned at the stake.
(d) Sale to a tobacco farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the poem "Deliverance"?
2. What was the name of the woman that taught former slaves in the 1860's in the South Carolina Sea Islands?
3. In what city did Black washerwomen announce that they were going to charge a standard rate for their work? (1866)
4. What happened to the Gross National Product between 1869 and 1899?
5. Who, in the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage," was quoted as saying "divine law makes no distinction between the sexes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Black family under siege between 1890 and 1910?
2. What caused Mary Church Terrell to plunge head-first into a life of vibrant activism?
3. What did the end of the chapter "Prelude to a Movement" state were the problems that educated Black women faced?
4. What did Robert Purvis say about the equality of sexes?
5. Why did many of the Baptist clergy state that the only place for women was in the church singing?
6. What contradictions did Black women face when it came to supporting Booker T. Washington?
7. Ultimately, why was Thomas Moss lynched?
8. What was the purpose of the World Colombian Exposition of 1893?
9. Why did the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage" state that women's suffrage was important?
10. What commonalities did Black and White women's organizations have?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)