|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1830, who did Maria Stewart tell that it was their duty to cultivate a pure heart and thirst for knowledge in their children?
(b) Black mothers.
(c) Black and white mothers.
(d) Black men.
2. What club was organized by Ida Wells-Barnett in 1913.
(a) The Rights of Women in Illinois Club.
(b) The Illinois Women's Club.
(c) The Alpha Suffrage Club.
(d) The Women's Suffrage Club.
3. Who were servant women sold to if they were found guilty of bearing a child of her master's in Virginia?
(a) The church.
(b) Another slave holder outside of Virginia.
(c) The local governing male.
(d) The local prison authorities.
4. What, by order of the House of Burgesses, were masters of slaves able to do to their servants?
(a) Starve them.
(b) Have intercourse with them.
(c) Hang them.
(d) Whip them.
5. What was the name of the largest Black sorority in 1908?
(a) Alpha Kappa Alpha.
(b) Kappa Delta Sigma.
(c) Alpha Beta Kappa.
(d) Pi Beta Alpha.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the slave in 1741 that attempted to burn down the entire settlement of Charleston, Massachusetts?
2. Who was committed to Dr. S. Wier Mitchell's Hospital of Orthopedic and Nervous Diseases because of her inability to withstand the stresses of being educated and financially sound and having to care for ailing members of her family?
3. How many Whites were shot on the Saturday night raid on the local Black grocery?
4. Who wrote an editorial in the newspaper "Free Speech" that spoke of the lynching of the grocer?
5. In the chapter "To Be a Woman Sublime," according to Francis Ellen Harper the nineteenth century is discovering what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did many of the Baptist clergy state that the only place for women was in the church singing?
2. What law did Virginia pass in regard to children born to Black female slaves and their masters?
3. What contradictions did Black women face when it came to supporting Booker T. Washington?
4. What was the purpose of the World Colombian Exposition of 1893?
5. What happened as a result of Ida B. Wellss' British tour?
6. What were Thomas Moss's final words before he was lynched in Tennessee?
7. What did Robert Purvis say about the equality of sexes?
8. What caused Mary Church Terrell to plunge head-first into a life of vibrant activism?
9. After emancipation, what did both Black men and women escape from? (Not in regard to slavery itself.)
10. How did Mary Ann Shadd Cary prove that she, as a Black woman, should have the right to vote?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)