|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was committed to Dr. S. Wier Mitchell's Hospital of Orthopedic and Nervous Diseases because of her inability to withstand the stresses of being educated and financially sound and having to care for ailing members of her family?
(a) Laura Drens.
(b) Jane Addams.
(c) Mary Stone.
(d) Martha Biggins.
2. What did Robert Church own, eventually being ransacked in 1866?
(a) A wheat farm.
(b) A barber shop.
(c) A saloon.
(d) A grocery.
3. What was the name of the first Black child born in America?
(a) Baby Douglass.
(b) Baby Williams.
(c) Baby Anthoney.
(d) Baby Wells.
4. What was the name of the largest Black sorority in 1908?
(a) Kappa Delta Sigma.
(b) Alpha Kappa Alpha.
(c) Pi Beta Alpha.
(d) Alpha Beta Kappa.
5. What was the name of the slave in 1741 that attempted to burn down the entire settlement of Charleston, Massachusetts?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote an editorial in the newspaper "Free Speech" that spoke of the lynching of the grocer?
2. According to Virginia law, if a Christian was found to "commit fornication" with a Negro man or woman, how would his fines multiply?
3. Who, at an 1869 convention, spoke in support of the Fifteenth Amendment?
4. In the chapter "To Be a Woman Sublime," according to Francis Ellen Harper the nineteenth century is discovering what?
5. Who, in the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage," was quoted as saying "divine law makes no distinction between the sexes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the goal of the CWPA?
2. Although written to discuss the animal world, Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species" was consequently paralleled to human society. How was this explained?
3. A month before Blacks set foot in Virginia, what laws did the House of Burgesses pass?
4. How did Mary Ann Shadd Cary prove that she, as a Black woman, should have the right to vote?
5. What caused Mary Church Terrell to plunge head-first into a life of vibrant activism?
6. What did Ida B. Wells read in a paper after attending a meeting in Washington, D.C. to speak before Black women activists?
7. After emancipation, what did both Black men and women escape from? (Not in regard to slavery itself.)
8. What was the purpose of the World Colombian Exposition of 1893?
9. Why did the chapter "Defending Our Name" state that Ida B. Wells should have been pleased?
10. What were the differences between the Black and White women's organizations?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)