|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel spoke to the desire of slave women to become the mistress of their masters?
(a) "Desires of the American Slave."
(b) "A Need for More."
(c) "The Negro Family."
(d) "Conditions of the Negro in America."
2. Who, at an 1869 convention, spoke in support of the Fifteenth Amendment?
(a) Mattie Griffith.
(b) Frances Ellen Harper.
(c) Donna Mary Banks.
(d) W.E.B. Du Bois.
3. Who was by law ordered to be whipped for laying with a negro in 1630?
(a) Frederick Salts.
(b) Hugh Davis.
(c) Deacon Marks.
(d) Richard Martin.
4. Whom did the Fifteenth Amendment permit the right to vote to?
(a) White women.
(b) Black men and women.
(c) Black men.
(d) Black men and white women.
5. Who wrote an editorial in the newspaper "Free Speech" that spoke of the lynching of the grocer?
(a) Mary Church Terrell.
(b) W.E.B. Du Bois.
(c) Frederick Douglass.
(d) Ida B. Wells.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was established for the purpose of invalid girls to go and help the poor?
2. When did the first African men and women come to Virginia?
3. In the chapter "To Be a Woman Sublime," according to Francis Ellen Harper the nineteenth century is discovering what?
4. Where was Mary Church Terrell living when she heard the news of the grocer's lynching?
5. How much money did the CWL successfully lobby to establish kindergarten classes in 1898?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did many of the Baptist clergy state that the only place for women was in the church singing?
2. What were Thomas Moss's final words before he was lynched in Tennessee?
3. What did the end of the chapter "Prelude to a Movement" state were the problems that educated Black women faced?
4. What contradictions did Black women face when it came to supporting Booker T. Washington?
5. At a women's rights meeting in Akron, Ohio, what was Sojourner Truth's message?
6. How did Mary Ann Shadd Cary prove that she, as a Black woman, should have the right to vote?
7. What commonalities did Black and White women's organizations have?
8. Why did the chapter "The Quest for Woman Suffrage" state that women's suffrage was important?
9. Why was the Black family under siege between 1890 and 1910?
10. What headlines ran on Christmas Day in 1884 in the "Daily Appeal"?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)