|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Black judges were "in the system" in New York City?
2. During Bethune's travel through 21 states, what percent of youth did she find to be Black?
3. In 1941, who was the Secretary of War that Bethune wrote to regarding the war department's failure to invite the NCNW to a meeting that was organizing women for the war effort?
(a) Henry L. Stimson.
(b) Thomas J. Watters.
(c) Michael J. Simpson.
(d) Gordon M. Myers.
4. What was the name of the St. Louis Black woman that led a strike against a pecan factory owner?
(a) Sandra Blantly.
(b) Fanny Mae Smith.
(c) Connie Smith.
(d) Mildred Stevens.
5. How much did the cost of living rise from 1914 to 1918?
6. America was the ___________ nation to enfranchise women.
7. What show featured Black women singing arias from "Faust," "Rigoletto," and other operas?
(d) Classics on Stage.
8. What magazine "editorialized that brown skin was . . . more appealing to Whites"?
(d) "The Crisis."
9. What group in 1927 invited Mary McLeod Bethune to attend a meeting held and hosted by Eleanor Roosevelt?
10. What Black poet's work was entered into "The Congressional Record" by Senator Henry Lodge?
(a) Selma Thompkins.
(b) Claude McKay.
(c) Maya Angelou.
(d) Arna Bontemps.
11. What year was the Dryer bill introduced to Congress?
12. What did Elise McDougald state was assuming a subordinate place in regard to feminists efforts?
(a) "The equality struggle."
(b) "The struggle of Black women alone."
(c) "The struggle of race."
(d) "The sex struggle."
13. In what year was the Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education Supreme Court case argued?
14. During Bethune's travel through 21 states, what percentage of young Blacks were on relief?
15. At which bible institute did Mary McLeod Bethune study?
(a) Hawking's Bible Institute.
(b) Moody Bible Institute.
(c) New York's Bible Institute.
(d) Henderson Southern Baptist Institute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the magazine of the NAACP in 1919 state that Black women felt pride for Black men during the race riots?
2. In 1917, Ida Wells-Barnett held a memorial service for how many Black soldiers (hung in accusation for shooting Whites)?
3. Who founded the UNIA?
4. What site did Bethune put a down-payment on to start a school?
5. What did the chapter "A Search for Self" compare postwar America to?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)