|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first Black woman named to the federal bench and also became the Manhattan Borough President in 1954?
(a) Claire Stuckker-Morris.
(b) Constance Baker Motley.
(c) Chandra Smith-Jones.
(d) Bridget Brown-Marker.
2. How much could a young unmarried woman in domestic service in the North earn in a week during 1920?
3. What President's wife, in 1934, began taking an active stand on racial issues?
(a) Mamie Eisenhower.
(b) Lou Hoover.
(c) Bess Truman.
(d) Eleanor Roosevelt.
4. By the end of 1935, how many northern cities had over 100,000 African-Americans in population?
5. How many children were in Charlotte Hawkins Brown's family?
6. What site did Bethune put a down-payment on to start a school?
(a) A former jail-house.
(b) A former garbage-dump site.
(c) A former slave auction site.
(d) A former cotton plantation.
7. Whom did critics in 1900 state was the author of "the most powerful protest novel . . . with the exception of Ann Perry"?
(a) Laura Sterns.
(b) Pauline Hopkins.
(c) Francis Burks.
(d) Mary May Wright.
8. Who was the YWCA's first Black secretary?
(a) Theresa Singer.
(b) Sandra Bruns.
(c) Madra Biship.
(d) Eva Bowles.
9. What was the "talk of the twenties"?
(a) Social change.
(b) Women working?
10. What magazine "editorialized that brown skin was . . . more appealing to Whites"?
(d) "The Crisis."
11. How many, counting Mary McLeod Bethune, of her siblings were able to attend school?
12. What was sold to raise part of the rest of the money needed to finance the school that Bethune needed to start her school?
(d) Pies and cakes.
13. What group "went to the extraordinary length of taking a stand against lynching in 1917"?
14. What Black poet's work was entered into "The Congressional Record" by Senator Henry Lodge?
(a) Maya Angelou.
(b) Selma Thompkins.
(c) Arna Bontemps.
(d) Claude McKay.
15. In 1941, who was the Secretary of War that Bethune wrote to regarding the war department's failure to invite the NCNW to a meeting that was organizing women for the war effort?
(a) Thomas J. Watters.
(b) Henry L. Stimson.
(c) Gordon M. Myers.
(d) Michael J. Simpson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school did the Daytona School for Girls merge with?
2. How many American women were working 1945?
3. What was the name of the student that spoke out against the Congressional tongue-lashing a university received for having a book on socialism in it's library?
4. What novel described all kinds of women with poetic rapture?
5. How much did Mary McLeod Bethune have as her initial investment to start a school?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)