|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group "went to the extraordinary length of taking a stand against lynching in 1917"?
2. How many Black judges were "in the system" in New York City?
3. Where was the Council for Interracial Cooperation founded?
(b) Washington, D.C.
4. What was the name of the St. Louis Black woman that led a strike against a pecan factory owner?
(a) Connie Smith.
(b) Sandra Blantly.
(c) Fanny Mae Smith.
(d) Mildred Stevens.
5. What did the chapter "A Search for Self" compare postwar America to?
(a) "A dense forest."
(b) "A hall of mirrors."
(c) "An unending tunnel."
(d) "A hunt with no prey."
6. What group in 1927 invited Mary McLeod Bethune to attend a meeting held and hosted by Eleanor Roosevelt?
7. In what year did Legenia Burns Hope organize the Atlanta Neighborhod Union?
8. In what year was the Council for Interracial Cooperation founded?
9. What magazine, in January 1924, announced that it would "show in pictures as well as writing, Negro women who are unique, accomplished, beautiful, intelligent, industrious, talented, and successful"?
(a) "The Truth."
(c) "Women's Day."
(d) "The Messenger."
10. During the 1920s, what rate decreased?
(a) Number of professional women.
(b) Number of black-on-white attacks.
(c) Number of inter-racial marriages.
(d) Number of rapes.
11. What year was the Dryer bill introduced to Congress?
12. What riot inspired the sonnet that Senator Henry Cabot Lodge placed into "The Congressional Record"?
(a) The Chicago riot.
(b) The New York riot.
(c) The Virginia riot.
(d) The Charleston riot.
13. How much did Mary McLeod Bethune have as her initial investment to start a school?
14. Who founded the UNIA?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Louis Farican.
(c) Marcus Garvey.
(d) Malcolm X.
15. What poet did Bethune hire as an assistant for her position as the Negro Affairs director?
(a) Zora Neal Hurston.
(b) Jean Toomer.
(c) Langston Hughes.
(d) Frank Horne.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which bible institute did Mary McLeod Bethune study?
2. How many Black branches did the YWCA have in the South in 1906?
3. What novel described all kinds of women with poetic rapture?
4. In what year was the Federal Employment Practices Commission established?
5. What was the "talk of the twenties"?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)