|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What riot inspired the sonnet that Senator Henry Cabot Lodge placed into "The Congressional Record"?
(a) The Charleston riot.
(b) The Virginia riot.
(c) The New York riot.
(d) The Chicago riot.
2. What advertising image did the chapter "A Search for Self" state was grotesque? (As pointed out by Elise McDougald.)
(a) Uncle Ben.
(b) Aunt Jemima.
(c) Mrs. Butterworth.
(d) Rastus-Cream of Wheat.
3. How many people, out of the 139 named, were of mixed heritage in W.E.B. Du Bois' "Who's Who of Colored Americans"?
4. In 1915, how many students graduated from Daytona School for Girls?
5. Who was the YWCA's first Black secretary?
(a) Theresa Singer.
(b) Madra Biship.
(c) Eva Bowles.
(d) Sandra Bruns.
6. In what year was the Council for Interracial Cooperation founded?
7. Whom did critics in 1900 state was the author of "the most powerful protest novel . . . with the exception of Ann Perry"?
(a) Pauline Hopkins.
(b) Mary May Wright.
(c) Laura Sterns.
(d) Francis Burks.
8. At which bible institute did Mary McLeod Bethune study?
(a) Moody Bible Institute.
(b) Hawking's Bible Institute.
(c) Henderson Southern Baptist Institute.
(d) New York's Bible Institute.
9. In what year was the first segregated YWCA chartered in Ohio?
10. How many children were in Charlotte Hawkins Brown's family?
11. How many lynching took place between 1919 and 1923?
12. America was the ___________ nation to enfranchise women.
13. What site did Bethune put a down-payment on to start a school?
(a) A former slave auction site.
(b) A former jail-house.
(c) A former cotton plantation.
(d) A former garbage-dump site.
14. Who was the first Black woman elected to the YWCA's national board in 1924?
(a) Lucy C. Laney.
(b) Elizabeth Ross Haynes.
(c) Mary Jackson.
(d) Lugenia Hope.
15. What cigar company found itself in the middle of a strike in 1917 in Norfolk, Virginia?
(a) The American Cigar Company.
(b) The Richmond Cigar Company.
(c) The Virginia Cigar Company.
(d) The East Coast Cigar Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who founded the UNIA?
2. What was the first theatrical production to feature attractively costumed, glamorous Black women?
3. During the 1920s, what rate shot up?
4. What was the name of the St. Louis Black woman that led a strike against a pecan factory owner?
5. What did the chapter "A Search for Self" compare postwar America to?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)