|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group in 1927 invited Mary McLeod Bethune to attend a meeting held and hosted by Eleanor Roosevelt?
2. Who was the first Black woman elected to the YWCA's national board in 1924?
(a) Elizabeth Ross Haynes.
(b) Lucy C. Laney.
(c) Mary Jackson.
(d) Lugenia Hope.
3. What school, according to the chapter "The Radical Interracialists," was tongue-lashed by Congress for its library containing a book on socialism?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) Princeton University.
(c) William and Mary University.
(d) Howard University.
4. How many brothers and sister did Mary McLeod Bethune have?
5. In 1945, what percent of the American workforce was women?
6. What cigar company found itself in the middle of a strike in 1917 in Norfolk, Virginia?
(a) The East Coast Cigar Company.
(b) The American Cigar Company.
(c) The Virginia Cigar Company.
(d) The Richmond Cigar Company.
7. What did the chapter "A Search for Self" compare postwar America to?
(a) "A dense forest."
(b) "A hall of mirrors."
(c) "An unending tunnel."
(d) "A hunt with no prey."
8. Who was the first White woman named as executive director of the CIC?
(a) Willie Mae Alexander.
(b) lillian Smith.
(c) Jessie Daniel Ames.
(d) Sonya Smith-Jackson.
9. In what year did Booker T. Washington die?
10. By the end of 1935, how many northern cities had over 100,000 African-Americans in population?
11. How much did the cost of living rise from 1914 to 1918?
12. What was the "talk of the twenties"?
(b) Social change.
(d) Women working?
13. What riot inspired the sonnet that Senator Henry Cabot Lodge placed into "The Congressional Record"?
(a) The Chicago riot.
(b) The Charleston riot.
(c) The Virginia riot.
(d) The New York riot.
14. In what year was the Federal Employment Practices Commission established?
15. According to the chapter "Black Braintrusters," how many Black women marched into the White House in 1941?
Short Answer Questions
1. What mission in New York, helped women get job-placement, job training, and offered Afro-American history courses?
2. What President's wife, in 1934, began taking an active stand on racial issues?
3. What was the first theatrical production to feature attractively costumed, glamorous Black women?
4. What school did the Daytona School for Girls merge with?
5. What was sold to raise part of the rest of the money needed to finance the school that Bethune needed to start her school?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)