|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 1920s, what rate shot up?
(a) Suicide rate.
(b) Marriage rate.
(c) Birth rate.
(d) Divorce rate.
2. In 1915, how many students graduated from Daytona School for Girls?
3. What was the name of the sheriff that upheld segregation ordinance in Birmingham, Alabama?
(a) Steven McBride.
(b) Matthew Stride.
(c) Sam Spint.
(d) Eugene Connor.
4. What magazine "editorialized that brown skin was . . . more appealing to Whites"?
(d) "The Crisis."
5. In 1941, who was the Secretary of War that Bethune wrote to regarding the war department's failure to invite the NCNW to a meeting that was organizing women for the war effort?
(a) Thomas J. Watters.
(b) Henry L. Stimson.
(c) Gordon M. Myers.
(d) Michael J. Simpson.
6. How many Black judges were "in the system" in New York City?
7. In 1935, what leader of the Texas state committee insisted that Texas Whites would object to an integrated Texas community?
(a) Lyndon B. Johnson.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Martin B. Hidgins.
(d) Paul Minors.
8. How many, counting Mary McLeod Bethune, of her siblings were able to attend school?
9. In what year did Booker T. Washington die?
10. How many people, out of the 139 named, were of mixed heritage in W.E.B. Du Bois' "Who's Who of Colored Americans"?
11. Between 1915 and 1920, how many Blacks "heeded its (the North's) call" because of the southern exploitation they faced regarding labor.
12. What group "went to the extraordinary length of taking a stand against lynching in 1917"?
13. America was the ___________ nation to enfranchise women.
14. What was sold to raise part of the rest of the money needed to finance the school that Bethune needed to start her school?
(a) Pies and cakes.
15. During Bethune's travel through 21 states, what percentage of young Blacks were on relief?
Short Answer Questions
1. What year's census showed that "all women employed in manufacturing and mechanical industries were Black"?
2. According to the chapter "Black Braintrusters," how many Black women marched into the White House in 1941?
3. In 1945, what percent of the American workforce was women?
4. In what year was the Anti-Lynching Crusaders organized?
5. What did the chapter "A Search for Self" compare postwar America to?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)