|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first Black woman elected to the YWCA's national board in 1924?
(a) Lugenia Hope.
(b) Lucy C. Laney.
(c) Mary Jackson.
(d) Elizabeth Ross Haynes.
2. What year was the Dryer bill introduced to Congress?
3. How much did Mary McLeod Bethune have as her initial investment to start a school?
4. What school did the Daytona School for Girls merge with?
(a) Du Bois' Boys Institute.
(b) Cookman Institute.
(c) Washington Institute.
(d) Frankman's Boys School.
5. What show featured Black women singing arias from "Faust," "Rigoletto," and other operas?
(c) Classics on Stage.
6. How many brothers and sister did Mary McLeod Bethune have?
7. During Bethune's travel through 21 states, what percentage of young Blacks were on relief?
8. By the end of 1935, how many northern cities had over 100,000 African-Americans in population?
9. In 1937, how many Black woman walked out of the I.N. Vaughn Company because of low wages and hard work?
10. Who was elected President of the United States in 1932?
11. What magazine "editorialized that brown skin was . . . more appealing to Whites"?
(c) "The Crisis."
12. America was the ___________ nation to enfranchise women.
13. Who gave the organization trying to save Frederick Douglass's home the last $500 dollars needed to purchase the mortgage note?
(a) Fanny Mae.
(b) The widow of W.E.B. DuBois.
(c) Madame C.J. Walker.
(d) Sarah Michaels.
14. How much could a young unmarried woman in domestic service in the North earn in a week during 1920?
15. What year's census showed that "all women employed in manufacturing and mechanical industries were Black"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the chapter "A Search for Self" compare postwar America to?
2. What was the "talk of the twenties"?
3. What was sold to raise part of the rest of the money needed to finance the school that Bethune needed to start her school?
4. Who was quoted at the opening of the chapter "The Second World War and After"?
5. What poet did Bethune hire as an assistant for her position as the Negro Affairs director?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)