|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group "went to the extraordinary length of taking a stand against lynching in 1917"?
2. In 1915, how many students graduated from Daytona School for Girls?
3. According to the chapter "Black Braintrusters," how many Black women marched into the White House in 1941?
4. Who was elected President of the United States in 1932?
5. What school did the Daytona School for Girls merge with?
(a) Washington Institute.
(b) Du Bois' Boys Institute.
(c) Cookman Institute.
(d) Frankman's Boys School.
6. In what year was the Council for Interracial Cooperation founded?
7. What show featured Black women singing arias from "Faust," "Rigoletto," and other operas?
(b) Classics on Stage.
8. What was the "talk of the twenties"?
(b) Women working?
(c) Social change.
9. How many brothers and sister did Mary McLeod Bethune have?
10. What was sold to raise part of the rest of the money needed to finance the school that Bethune needed to start her school?
(b) Pies and cakes.
11. What novel described all kinds of women with poetic rapture?
(a) "The Southern Rapture."
(b) "The River."
(c) "A Floating Iris."
12. What school, according to the chapter "The Radical Interracialists," was tongue-lashed by Congress for its library containing a book on socialism?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) Howard University.
(c) William and Mary University.
(d) Princeton University.
13. During Bethune's travel through 21 states, what percent of youth did she find to be Black?
14. What year's census showed that "all women employed in manufacturing and mechanical industries were Black"?
15. Who was the first White woman named as executive director of the CIC?
(a) Willie Mae Alexander.
(b) Jessie Daniel Ames.
(c) Sonya Smith-Jackson.
(d) lillian Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to the United States entering into WWII, what percent of school systems refused to hire married women?
2. In what year was the first segregated YWCA chartered in Ohio?
3. In 1935, what leader of the Texas state committee insisted that Texas Whites would object to an integrated Texas community?
4. What magazine, in January 1924, announced that it would "show in pictures as well as writing, Negro women who are unique, accomplished, beautiful, intelligent, industrious, talented, and successful"?
5. How many American women were working 1945?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)