|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prior to the United States entering into WWII, what percent of school systems refused to hire married women?
2. What site did Bethune put a down-payment on to start a school?
(a) A former slave auction site.
(b) A former cotton plantation.
(c) A former jail-house.
(d) A former garbage-dump site.
3. What was the "talk of the twenties"?
(b) Social change.
(c) Women working?
4. What poet did Bethune hire as an assistant for her position as the Negro Affairs director?
(a) Zora Neal Hurston.
(b) Frank Horne.
(c) Jean Toomer.
(d) Langston Hughes.
5. What was the name of the St. Louis Black woman that led a strike against a pecan factory owner?
(a) Mildred Stevens.
(b) Connie Smith.
(c) Fanny Mae Smith.
(d) Sandra Blantly.
6. What was the first theatrical production to feature attractively costumed, glamorous Black women?
(a) The Creole Show.
(b) The Song of the South Show.
(c) The Dixie Mason Show.
(d) The Southern Black Belle.
7. What President's wife, in 1934, began taking an active stand on racial issues?
(a) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(b) Lou Hoover.
(c) Bess Truman.
(d) Mamie Eisenhower.
8. How many people, out of the 139 named, were of mixed heritage in W.E.B. Du Bois' "Who's Who of Colored Americans"?
9. What cigar company found itself in the middle of a strike in 1917 in Norfolk, Virginia?
(a) The Virginia Cigar Company.
(b) The Richmond Cigar Company.
(c) The East Coast Cigar Company.
(d) The American Cigar Company.
10. How many Black judges were "in the system" in New York City?
11. According to the chapter "Toward Interracial Cooperation," where did Black and White women "find a common meeting ground"?
(a) Sexual orientation.
(b) Patriarchial issues.
(c) Religious orientation.
(d) Women in the workplace issues.
12. In what year was the Council for Interracial Cooperation founded?
13. What year was the Dryer bill introduced to Congress?
14. Who was the first Black woman elected to the YWCA's national board in 1924?
(a) Lucy C. Laney.
(b) Mary Jackson.
(c) Elizabeth Ross Haynes.
(d) Lugenia Hope.
15. In what year was the first segregated YWCA chartered in Ohio?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1935, what leader of the Texas state committee insisted that Texas Whites would object to an integrated Texas community?
2. During Bethune's travel through 21 states, what percent of youth did she find to be Black?
3. How many children were in Charlotte Hawkins Brown's family?
4. By the end of 1935, how many northern cities had over 100,000 African-Americans in population?
5. In what year did Legenia Burns Hope organize the Atlanta Neighborhod Union?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)