|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people, out of the 139 named, were of mixed heritage in W.E.B. Du Bois' "Who's Who of Colored Americans"?
2. During Bethune's travel through 21 states, what percent of youth did she find to be Black?
3. Between 1915 and 1920, how many Blacks "heeded its (the North's) call" because of the southern exploitation they faced regarding labor.
4. In what year was the first segregated YWCA chartered in Ohio?
5. What group in 1927 invited Mary McLeod Bethune to attend a meeting held and hosted by Eleanor Roosevelt?
6. What was the name of the sheriff that upheld segregation ordinance in Birmingham, Alabama?
(a) Matthew Stride.
(b) Sam Spint.
(c) Eugene Connor.
(d) Steven McBride.
7. In what year was the Federal Employment Practices Commission established?
8. During the 1920s, what rate shot up?
(a) Suicide rate.
(b) Marriage rate.
(c) Birth rate.
(d) Divorce rate.
9. What did the chapter "A Search for Self" compare postwar America to?
(a) "A hall of mirrors."
(b) "A dense forest."
(c) "A hunt with no prey."
(d) "An unending tunnel."
10. What novel described all kinds of women with poetic rapture?
(b) "The River."
(c) "The Southern Rapture."
(d) "A Floating Iris."
11. Who gave the organization trying to save Frederick Douglass's home the last $500 dollars needed to purchase the mortgage note?
(a) Sarah Michaels.
(b) Madame C.J. Walker.
(c) The widow of W.E.B. DuBois.
(d) Fanny Mae.
12. What mission in New York, helped women get job-placement, job training, and offered Afro-American history courses?
(a) The Tulip Mission.
(b) Purple Iris Mission.
(c) White Rose Mission.
(d) The Oak Mission.
13. In what year was the Anti-Lynching Crusaders organized?
14. Who was elected President of the United States in 1932?
15. How many children were in Charlotte Hawkins Brown's family?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education Supreme Court case argued?
2. Why did the magazine of the NAACP in 1919 state that Black women felt pride for Black men during the race riots?
3. What was the name of the NAACP's magazine?
4. How much did Mary McLeod Bethune have as her initial investment to start a school?
5. By the end of 1935, how many northern cities had over 100,000 African-Americans in population?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)