|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people, out of the 139 named, were of mixed heritage in W.E.B. Du Bois' "Who's Who of Colored Americans"?
2. What was Mary McLeod Bethune riding aboard in 1927?
(a) A submarine.
(b) A Navy cruise ship.
(c) A ocean-liner.
(d) A slave ship.
3. What site did Bethune put a down-payment on to start a school?
(a) A former garbage-dump site.
(b) A former slave auction site.
(c) A former jail-house.
(d) A former cotton plantation.
4. At which bible institute did Mary McLeod Bethune study?
(a) Hawking's Bible Institute.
(b) Moody Bible Institute.
(c) Henderson Southern Baptist Institute.
(d) New York's Bible Institute.
5. What was the name of the NAACP's magazine?
(a) "The Call."
(b) "The Truth."
(c) "The Crisis."
(d) "The Voice."
6. What riot inspired the sonnet that Senator Henry Cabot Lodge placed into "The Congressional Record"?
(a) The New York riot.
(b) The Chicago riot.
(c) The Charleston riot.
(d) The Virginia riot.
7. Who was quoted at the opening of the chapter "The Second World War and After"?
(a) Malcolm X.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) Virginia Durr.
(d) Sojourner Truth.
8. What President's wife, in 1934, began taking an active stand on racial issues?
(a) Bess Truman.
(b) Mamie Eisenhower.
(c) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(d) Lou Hoover.
9. In what year was the Council for Interracial Cooperation founded?
10. How many American women were working 1945?
(a) 11 million.
(b) 35 million.
(c) 20 million.
(d) 7 million.
11. What show featured Black women singing arias from "Faust," "Rigoletto," and other operas?
(d) Classics on Stage.
12. How many brothers and sister did Mary McLeod Bethune have?
13. What was the first theatrical production to feature attractively costumed, glamorous Black women?
(a) The Song of the South Show.
(b) The Dixie Mason Show.
(c) The Southern Black Belle.
(d) The Creole Show.
14. How much could a young unmarried woman in domestic service in the North earn in a week during 1920?
15. What magazine, in January 1924, announced that it would "show in pictures as well as writing, Negro women who are unique, accomplished, beautiful, intelligent, industrious, talented, and successful"?
(b) "The Messenger."
(c) "Women's Day."
(d) "The Truth."
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Mary McLeod Bethune have as her initial investment to start a school?
2. How much did the cost of living rise from 1914 to 1918?
3. How many Black judges were "in the system" in New York City?
4. During Bethune's travel through 21 states, what percentage of young Blacks were on relief?
5. In what year was the Anti-Lynching Crusaders organized?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)