|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people, out of the 139 named, were of mixed heritage in W.E.B. Du Bois' "Who's Who of Colored Americans"?
2. Who founded the UNIA?
(a) Malcolm X.
(b) Louis Farican.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Marcus Garvey.
3. How many days did it take the Black female workers and the I.N. Vaughn Company to come to an agreement on new work conditions and wages?
4. What Black poet's work was entered into "The Congressional Record" by Senator Henry Lodge?
(a) Claude McKay.
(b) Arna Bontemps.
(c) Selma Thompkins.
(d) Maya Angelou.
5. What group "went to the extraordinary length of taking a stand against lynching in 1917"?
6. What poet did Bethune hire as an assistant for her position as the Negro Affairs director?
(a) Frank Horne.
(b) Langston Hughes.
(c) Jean Toomer.
(d) Zora Neal Hurston.
7. In what state was Mary McLeod Bethune born?
(a) South Carolina.
8. Who was the first White woman named as executive director of the CIC?
(a) Sonya Smith-Jackson.
(b) Jessie Daniel Ames.
(c) lillian Smith.
(d) Willie Mae Alexander.
9. What magazine "editorialized that brown skin was . . . more appealing to Whites"?
(a) "The Crisis."
10. After the strike on the pecan factory in St. Louis ended, how much more per week did the women working there get paid?
(a) 4 dollars more a week.
(b) 2 dollars more a week.
(c) 8 dollars more a week.
(d) 6 dollars more a week.
11. What was the name of the student that spoke out against the Congressional tongue-lashing a university received for having a book on socialism in it's library?
(a) Countee Cullen.
(b) Maya Angelou.
(c) Zora Neale Hurston.
(d) Langston Hughes.
12. Who gave the organization trying to save Frederick Douglass's home the last $500 dollars needed to purchase the mortgage note?
(a) Fanny Mae.
(b) Sarah Michaels.
(c) The widow of W.E.B. DuBois.
(d) Madame C.J. Walker.
13. In 1915, how many students graduated from Daytona School for Girls?
14. What state law covered under federal legislation, declared that one spouse must resign if the other was gainfully employed?
(a) Federal Economy Act.
(b) Federal Fair Work Act.
(c) Federal Single Family Employment Act.
(d) Federal Women's Work Act.
15. What site did Bethune put a down-payment on to start a school?
(a) A former cotton plantation.
(b) A former jail-house.
(c) A former garbage-dump site.
(d) A former slave auction site.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1935, what leader of the Texas state committee insisted that Texas Whites would object to an integrated Texas community?
2. In 1945, what percent of the American workforce was women?
3. What did the chapter "A Search for Self" compare postwar America to?
4. How many lynching took place between 1919 and 1923?
5. What cigar company found itself in the middle of a strike in 1917 in Norfolk, Virginia?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)